Practice

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Practice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Practice

Last edited by Ms.Quelquefois; December 5th, 2011 at 05:35 PM.
    "We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills..." - J.F.K.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome stuff, Good forms and expression

The small texture in the hair doesnt really fit, And also perhaps it would be better without those dark outlines.

But hey, thats probably just me!

Good work

DECLARE WAR ON CLECHIE

SKETCH BOOK

4. The Following User Says Thank You to axisis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you did a decent job here, I like how soft you got the shading to be. I also think your edges need a lot of work though. First off, remove the black lines. Watch the 2 recent videos here. The only black you need is in the pupils. Speaking of, why do the pupils have a bright light in the center of them?
    your highlights are to hard-edged and your reflected light is too bright, making her skin look like plastic. Also her nose doesn't seem to be lit the same as the rest of her face. This could be personal preference, but I find the cross hatching in her hair distracting and it doesn't help the form.
    It would be very helpful for us if you would post the reference you're working from. I did a quick paintover to show what I'm talking about. There's a bunch of flaws in mine since I'm not great at painting, but hopefully you can see what I mean.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertical View Post
    I think you did a decent job here, I like how soft you got the shading to be. I also think your edges need a lot of work though. First off, remove the black lines. Watch the 2 recent videos here. The only black you need is in the pupils. Speaking of, why do the pupils have a bright light in the center of them?
    your highlights are to hard-edged and your reflected light is too bright, making her skin look like plastic. Also her nose doesn't seem to be lit the same as the rest of her face. This could be personal preference, but I find the cross hatching in her hair distracting and it doesn't help the form.
    It would be very helpful for us if you would post the reference you're working from. I did a quick paintover to show what I'm talking about. There's a bunch of flaws in mine since I'm not great at painting, but hopefully you can see what I mean.
    Thanks for the help on the lighting. I see what you're saying and it does need to be fixed. As for the lines, I kinda wanted to keep them. I was trying to do something similar to this :http://artgerm.deviantart.com/galler...set=0#/d4avpe8 I've been really interested in the comic book line art combined with painting. Also this is the reference I was using: http://browse.deviantart.com/resourc...rait/#/d4h1j7n

Also thanks for the links, while they don't really apply to what I wanted to do it IS a really good site to have in my bookmarks.

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills..." - J.F.K.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I see. If that's the style you want then go for it, it looks great! Just note that the lines in that piece are REALLY THIN compared to the mass and they are colored similarly to the body rather than being pure black. Color and pure black tend to look awful together, if you color in your line art you should color the lines too. Or in this case, make them a bit lighter.
    And after looking at you ref, I noticed your model is actually back-lit. The light you painted implied a source from above and to the right. Your model's face is being lit by ambient light from the atmosphere, which is going to be weaker than direct sunlight. Her face is all middle to sorta high values, you shouldn't be using pure white anywhere on her face.
    If this were an illustration or creative piece, you would of course modify your reference to fit the piece and possibly make up your own lighting. But this is a study, and your goal here is to perfectly duplicate the quality you've set out to study and learn from it. From what I can tell this quality is value, but perhaps you had a different goal in mind?

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Samszym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,366 Times in 1,461 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good start. Now focus on lighting and anatomy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start!
    A few things that stand out to me (I hope the wording is clear):

-Her right brow (our left) sticks out too much. In the photo that who edge along her forehead is a vertical line, where it is angled in your drawing.

-Her left eyebrow is wandering a little far to the viewer's right.

-The edge between her hair and left side of her forehead I feel should be brought to the viewer's left a bit.

-In the photo the viewer is looking up at her face a little bit, in your drawing it feels like the viewer is looking straight on.

I've attached an animated gif showing the first three changes i mentioned. I hope this is helpful! Keep going!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.