Languages you know? - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tagalog is my mother tongue, but I've been speaking English since early childhood. Had to learn Spanish and French in high school but it never really stuck. Lived in Korea for a while and so I know enough of the language to get around. Aaaand, since I've relocated to Germany, I've been trying to learn the language as well.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With the exception of italian(i know enough to not get lost, but that's that) i'm more or less the same as matej kovacic as far as languages go (for the same reasons)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    brazilian portuguese, monkey english, neanderthal latin a little , crazy portunhol (spanish) D:

it's all I've been learning in the forest o/

"What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

MY_SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    when i was 11 or 13 or so i realised: the language you think in effects the way you think.

so now, i try to think with images, and also, decipher symbols and numbers

all is number.

you may seem insane to others though, oh well, it's worth it. ;D

---

according to Chomsky, "syntactic structures" all the language structures,
    i mean, the grammar underlying the worlds languages, are from one and the same source.

interesting thing about letters and symbols: chikkity check it:

Languages you know?

Languages you know?

Languages you know?

pretty interesting site: http://boneoracle.com/Cosmology.htm

cymatics is cool, set the right frequency (chladni plates etc) and you can get the geometric patterns for all words and worlds,
    a rose, a tortoise shell, all patterns in nature, or get it wrong, and behold nothing will sing along.

they say dna can be affected by frequencies, pythagoras said 'the inside of all is number'; all is number; your frequencies are your numbers.

the music of the spheres, hehehe. language is embedded in the structure of the you ni verse

we are the knights who say NI!

Last edited by samthemule; December 11th, 2011 at 04:20 AM. Reason: german english

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    English is my first language, i live in Canada so i can speak a decent amount of french, although I'm not fluent. i also know a few phrases of Japanese

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been studying Latin for a good 5 years now. I'm nowhere near fluent since I'm teaching myself entirely and there's no way to immerse myself for added learning speed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know Russian. I spoke it my whole life, but couldn't read or write until I chose it as my foreign language in school. Surprisingly, it was extremely easy to learn to read and write.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Languages you know?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to samthemule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    English is my native language.
    I studied Irish (Gaelic) for 7 or 8 years. I can still remember some prayers, as well as "it was a lovely summer's day", "the sun was shining high in the sky", and "smoke was coming out of the window." In retrospect, I'm not sure what the hell I was learning. I'm sure I'd pick it up again quickly if Irish ever becomes a prominent language anywhere but rural Ireland.
    I studied French for 5 years. I can understand it well enough, but I have difficulty speaking. I can get the message across, but it won't be grammatically correct and may require lots of gesticulating.
    I studied American Sign Language for a year or so. I know enough to give or get directions, hold a casual conversation, and that sort of thing. Oh, and swear. I'm not sure when I'll need to swear at deaf Americans, but when the situation arises, I'm prepared.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to erinc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Properly, english and spanish.

I understand Portuguese pretty naturally , since my dad is Portuguese and i have been spoken to in that language all my life, but i have never learned to properly speak in it myself which is something i should be correcting eventually.

So i could very well understand what someone is saying to me but not really how to respond in a way that doesn´t make me appear slightly retarded.

My other half of the family is italian, i went to an italian highschool and got classes as part of the program but not much of it stuck, i can handle myself around some basic stuff but i wouldn´t really give much of a conversation..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    English, Arabic and French. Learned Spanish for 2 years and a bit so I know enough to get by. Currently learning Latin with the help from a little program called Rosetta.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,369 Times in 1,127 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Besides English , Spanish, also I took some French in highschool , and some Chinese in college.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am regrettably devoid of linguistic prowess. I know Afrikaans, which is my mother tongue, and English. I can read and understand Dutch without too much difficulty seeing as it is so closely allied to my home language, but I don't trust my ability speak or write it. And I can make out a word or two of German here and there if I listen/read very carefully.

That's about it, apart from some swear words in African languages...:-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blogmatix View Post
    I am regrettably devoid of linguistic prowess. I know Afrikaans, which is my mother tongue, and English. I can read and understand Dutch without too much difficulty seeing as it is so closely allied to my home language, but I don't trust my ability speak or write it. And I can make out a word or two of German here and there if I listen/read very carefully.

That's about it, apart from some swear words in African languages...:-)
    Hallo, wie gehts?

what do you think of the idea, that... there is actually only 1 language, and, that, our sense organs just absorb this 1 essence in different ways?

think about it, we have different words for breathing, seeing, hearing and so on, but aren't we actually: Eating air? Drinking Light? Swallowing music?

more than that, scientists have proved that our ears constantly EMIT sounds out of our ears. and that infrared light is emitted out of your index finger (you can actually feel this, by spiralling your index finger in the palm of your other hand.

brashne: rosetta stone
    is that a good program?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by erinc View Post
    I studied American Sign Language for a year or so. I know enough to give or get directions, hold a casual conversation, and that sort of thing. Oh, and swear. I'm not sure when I'll need to swear at deaf Americans, but when the situation arises, I'm prepared.
    I've just read this to my husband... we're still laughing... Thank you!!

www.4-art.org - art educational books
    www.Practicum.org - art educational portal
    guru@4-art.org - my direct e-mail
    Russian Academy of Arts thread - all about it

There was a sign on the Academy building, “Free Arts”. “What’s that?”, we asked our professor. – “That’s to be able to create anything, but to create what you want to.”

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Recently I've been picking up Japanese seriously again, especially after finding out a trip to Narita/Tokyo is possible. I'm also hoping to get fluent in Portuguese someday, mostly because I sort of need to. My mom is getting older and already her English is getting a bit sketchy - Not seriously sketchy, but sketchy enough to keep me on my toes, pretty much. I also want to be able to communicate with the rest of my family. I have one of the Scott Pilgrim books licensed in Portuguese, actually. 8D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by samthemule View Post
    Hallo, wie gehts?

what do you think of the idea, that... there is actually only 1 language, and, that, our sense organs just absorb this 1 essence in different ways?

think about it, we have different words for breathing, seeing, hearing and so on, but aren't we actually: Eating air? Drinking Light? Swallowing music?
    Wouldn't know about eating air, but I do wonder to which extent all languages contain the same categories. Presumably, all languages have a word for "human." Do all have a word for "animal," or are there languages that have words for individual animals but not for the category "animal "? Etc. etc.

more than that, scientists have proved that our ears constantly EMIT sounds out of our ears. and that infrared light is emitted out of your index finger (you can actually feel this, by spiralling your index finger in the palm of your other hand.
    Your whole body emits infrared, seeing as it is warm.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Speak English. Learned Latin, French and German at school. Have forgotten most of it. Latin was the most useful because it gives a key to other languages. Can say "Good day", "It's windy", "It's raining" and "How are you?" in Gaelic. (Not a Latin-based language) Can swear fluently in Gaelic, Doric, English and some Urdu.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fluent in Hebrew and English.
    I can sort of read Cyrillic, in that I know what sound each letter makes, but with my very limited vocabulary, I usually don't know what I'm saying.
    I studied French in middle school, but only remember a few words and phrases.
    I know a few words in Japanese from watching anime, some Spanish from living in California and Texas, Arabic from Israel's neighbors and immigrants.

I've been wondering lately if I'll ever consider myself trilingual, and what my third language might be. It depends on where I find myself in 6 months more or less.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First language is English. But that's not saying much, like other teenagers I bend and break spoken phrases to my will so its probably not quite English.

French for 2 1/2 years before dropping it. I can still read fairly well but I'd probably need a dictionary to read anything more complex than a kid's book or your average Facebook post. I should go back to it since my aunt's boyfriend is French and I'd probably get some use out of it. Maybe in a year or two.

Japanese, I've memorized hiragana and now have the spoken vocabulary of a toddler.

I'd like to take the time to learn Latin, ASL, German, Italian, maybe some Russian and Chinese. Don't know when or if these languages will be learned but I'd like to study them at some point. I had an English teacher who went to The Gambia when she was in the Peace Corps and she taught us some Mandinka, can't remember any off the top of my head though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Native language is Dutch. but I'm speaking and reading so much English it's sometimes hard to switch back to Dutch.

At some point I made an attempt to learn Japanese since I was watching so much anime I figured it would be a waste to let that potential practice go to waste. :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Turaziel View Post
    Native language is Dutch. but I'm speaking and reading so much English it's sometimes hard to switch back to Dutch.
    Only a question of time before Dutch turns into English anyway. Same thing is happening with Afrikaans. :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I speak English and very fluent in speaking Scottish. Which is a sorta dialect I would suppose of English

"Here you pal, come oor here so a can knock fuck oota you for be'in a stupid wee snotty nosed prick, ya tadger"

Haha.
    Im actually trying to learn Japanese too just now but for my first foreign language it seems awfy difficult ken like?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I speak Mandarin, Cantonese and English. Cantonese is something that I mostly use at home, I hardly use Mandarin at all so English is my main language. I'm hoping to learn Swedish but I'm having problems acquiring books D=

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm pretty much brought up bilingual. My native language is Frisian which is the official language of the province of Friesland, the Netherlands. I can't really write in Frisian though. Dutch my second language. Learned English from a very young age, a little bit of German but not enough to consider it a language I've mastered. Want to learn Brazilian Portuguese.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, the language thread. My favourite!

English is my native language, I'm more or less fluent (but not native-level) in Spanish, pretty okay in Italian, working on Swedish/Scandinavian, and taking French in college. My French is only decent when I read it though, I'm afraid, since I don't practice it much. Still, it's an easy A since the words are almost all visually similar to Italian, English or Spanish.

No language would ever be against my will, though classes depend on the prof and are therefore a different story. Languages I love just as much as art though, I think! I have a huge list of languages I want to learn. Maybe I'll do German next? I took it in HS but my teacher showed us movies instead of teaching. Not even German movies :/ We sure did learn about the Simpsons in Japanese though. Proper Portuguese that isn't infused with Spanish, Finnish, Russian, Polish, Latin, and Japanese are also some languages I'd love to study. Never enough time...

Last edited by Vekke; January 2nd, 2012 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Magyar View Post
    English and Dutch as mother tongues (brought up bilingual)

Also speak German, French, some Russian and Italian.
    No Hungarian? ;D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used to be fluent in french, but I'm a bit out of practice. I was in an extended french program in school, so from grade 5 through to the end of highschool, half my day was in french.I'm sure it would come back to me if I was thrown into a french environment for a sufficient amount of time.

I've also got a conversational level in dutch, and I can read it if I take my time, but I don't trust myself to write it. I'd really like to become fluent, since I still have a lot of family in the Netherlands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I took two years of Japanese, so I can hold a pretty basic conversation. I understand but can't really speak Italian and Spanish and Latin, since those were languages my parents spoke (Grandma was the one who spoke Latin). And I'm currently teaching myself Arabic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by currychakra View Post
    I speak Mandarin, Cantonese and English. Cantonese is something that I mostly use at home, I hardly use Mandarin at all so English is my main language. I'm hoping to learn Swedish but I'm having problems acquiring books D=
    Well, it's not a book, but livemocha.com might be something you want to look into

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.