Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Lucky's Sketchbook - The Journey

Hey guys! I'm not really new to the forums, but I've only been silently stalking 'till now haha!

Silly things about me:
    - I'm a girl
    - I'm in highschool
    - I love drawing animals, nature and creating my own characters!
    - I'm lazyyy
    - I suck at drawing humans ....
    - I love the color orange!
    - My favorite animal is the tiger
    - I love drawing dragons and dinosaurs!

I've never taken my art too seriously, just like a hobby. I've always had a "talent" for art (better than the average person, but pretty bad compared to anyone who actually knows about art XD) However, lately I've been contemplating the idea of taking art classes in college, maybe even minoring in it. And I've finally decided that it's time to take my art to the next level!

I know that if I don't push myself to keep practicing and doing exercises I'm never going to improve (or not as much as I want to!) so I thought doing a sketchbook would be the perfect way to improve

I've just bought a new sketchbook last week and have already filled a couple of pages which I'll be posting shortly (when I figure out how this works O.o)

Feel free to give me lots and lots of critiques, tips and any help in general you can share!

My main goals are to improve my anatomy and perspective, so I'll be doing studies that are more focused on that

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LuckyCharm; December 12th, 2011 at 10:24 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Here are the pics I promised! :D

Some bone sketches I did from Elleberger's book, 'An Atlas of Animal Anatomy'

Gotta be truthful though.. I cheated on the first batch of "tiger sketches" and copied them off a book *cough* I just.. wasn't really feeling the references when I tried to draw them lol
    I do think it sorta helped though.. The last one was done by me from a reference picture, but I didn't finish it (lost the reference )

The skeleton isn't from any real animal, more like a general skeleton for all quadrupeds.. Still gotta add the paw bones, but you get the idea!
    Got it from here btw http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107182

Last edited by LuckyCharm; December 3rd, 2011 at 09:43 PM.

Thanks
    very nice start! nice to see another teen on CA, lovin the studies - keep em up and youll be a rockstar(or an artist lol) come drop by my sketchbook in the link below if you like

"Art is never finished, only abandoned." Leonardo Da Vinci

My Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post3362160

art website:http://calebportfolio.webs.com/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to blazingdimensions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @blazingdimensions: Thanks! I'll go check it out

Oh, also, guys, I've decided I'll be updating every week (probably on Mondays or Tuesdays) 'cause it takes too long to scan, and I don't want to do it every day

Some old stuff:

I like the little birdie, but the trees suck haha I know XD Have been trying to improve those, maybe I'll post a few new ones later

Last edited by LuckyCharm; December 3rd, 2011 at 10:24 PM.

Thanks
    Hey there, i love your bird pic , also its cool for you to have an updating schedule, that pushes you a bit more to do more studies and learn faster so its one of the things you might not wanna lose.
    Thank you for stopping by my SB and the critics ^^ ill look into my boob problems ...
    Wait, that didn't sound right -.- lol.

Feel free to stop by My Sketchbook (harsh criticism extremely needed )

or

My Portfolio

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rokushoxxx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Heyyyyyy I like your animal sketches, especially the pokemon sketch ( ahh I forgot what that pokemons name is ) Anyway, keep it up, glad to see another highschooler!

Yum!

me
    blog
    josh

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rinnikirun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    lol thanks guys!

@Ven: It's a Rattata!

Do you guys know which is the best Loomis book to study anatomy from?? Everyone recommends Loomis, but which book of his would you recommend specifically?

Drawing tigers is HARD!

Last edited by LuckyCharm; December 6th, 2011 at 08:11 PM.

Thanks
    welcome on board! lovely stuff going on there and plus, you're in high school. it's not hard to imagine that you're gonna become one hell of an illustrator in max. 10 years. and it's just great to see that you strive for the fundamentals.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jamsession For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey LuckyCharm, welcome aboard the Conceptart steamroller.
    You'll find many people checking your book, few leaving comments and among those comments, some gems.
    So far, you're off to a good start. I don't know what Loomis book to use, as I have downloaded them all and didn't really check them properly. There is a wealth of information in them, no doubt. I'd advice to buy them instead though. Studying from paper is much more relaxing than studying from your screen.
    I've dug into Burne Hogarth's books, they are full of information as well, although more geared to a comicbook style character.
    Other than that, keep studying, drawing from reference, practice perspective and the human form (which is hard). Maybe check posemaniacs, that might also help.
    Good luck on the Skyrim inspired piece...don't play too much Skyrim for reference

PS: Drawing tigers is hard I know.

"...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Harmageddon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate your encouragement and support

I have a huge exam tomorrow (everything we've done this year! D: ) Haven't had time to draw because I've been studying (and complaining mainly), but tomorrow I'll be finally free from school! I'll dedicate my time to drawing, my goal is to get at least 3 hours a day, we'll see how that goes Will update with new stuff as soon as I can

Thanks
    haha pretty cool stuff.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    These are really good! The bird painting, and your cliff painting really stick out.
    On the cliff one, as things fade into the distance, they get bluer, not just desaturated and lighter.

A problem I see with your skulls is the chin line. The eye sockets, cheekbones and nose are great. It might help to draw the eye nose and chin lines quickly, and parallel to each other so you have a reference to go by. I have this problem with people torso, and thats really helped me.

This is a great start, I can't wait to see more,

Pete

------------
    SKETCHBOOK
    NEW BLOG

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Taroan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the support guys!

@Taroan: Yeah, I know my skulls are sort of disproportionate :/ I'll redraw them using some guidelines

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.