Can I get into SCAD / VCU with this portfolio?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Can I get into SCAD / VCU with this portfolio?

I'm an international student and I've just sent my application for VCU yesterday. I still haven't applied for SCAD since I want to see if I can push my portfolio a little bit further.
    Please give me advice and comment. Can I get into SCAD / VCU and receive scholarship with this portfolio? (If I get accepted but they don't give me any scholarship, I'll have to say goodbye then )

Major: Graphic Design
    GPA: 3.6 / 4.0
    SAT: 2010 ( Math+CR=1330)
    TOEFL: 96 / 120
    Medium used in this portfolio (in order): Graphite, mechanical pencil, watercolor, color pencil, photoshop, poster color, ink.
    Most of my portfolio are observational drawings. Feel free to ask anything related to my portfolio.

By the way, I have some questions here, please help:
    1. I intend to apply for SCAD Atlanta simply because it has more scholarships than SCAD Savannah. Is that a good decision? I heard Atlanta is one of the most dangerous cities in the U.S and SCAD Atlanta is not as good as SCAD Savannah.
    2. Can you tell me any college that has good art department and gives half-tuition scholarship to international students?

Thank you very much!

Attached Images Attached Images                          
    Last edited by Cylia; December 2nd, 2011 at 11:30 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks pretty solid for an entrance portfolio, and your grades and SAT scores are good. I know nothing about VCU admissions, but you'll almost certainly get into SCAD with at least some scholarship.

Of course, you should still work your ass off the next couple months in the interest of maximizing your scholarship money.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Meloncov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot Meloncov. It would be great if you could tell me which aspect in my portfolio that I need to improve. Does it lack anything?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got into VCU with a scholarship with less, though my scholarship was more for academics

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Whitesock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The structure of your faces is a bit off; you've observed the features well, but they're not in quite the right place relative to each other, and different parts of the face are seen from different points of view (presumably, because you moved your head while drawing). Spend more time at the start of the drawing laying out the features and marking relationships before you go into any details.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Meloncov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks whitesock. Can I ask how much your scholarship is, and can you give me your academic stats? I've applied for VCU this Dec 1 and waiting until April 1 is killing me.

Thanks Meloncov. Your advice is really helpful. I think my portfolio is pretty weak and one of my friends said some pieces look the same (well, those portraits and figure drawings...). Adcom always says "Quality over quantity". If you were to choose the best pieces, what would you choose?

Thanks again

Last edited by Cylia; December 9th, 2011 at 05:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty sure you will be fine. Your GPA is great and you have some nice work. Ive seen people with not so fabulous portfolios get into SCAD.

Good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My scholarship was the dean's one. It's half in-state tuition and fees.

I had a 3.48 unweighted and a 4.11 weighted and I was in the art, music, and national honor societies. I also am an eagle scout which probably helped.

Did you not apply early for the scholarship consideration? When I apllied I had to get it in by October or some time around then and I got my decision back around Christmas.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Whitesock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alternative I'm worried about getting scholarships, not just simply getting accepted. That's the problem. Anyway, thanks for your help

Whitesock wow, they gave you lots of monies.
    I applied for scholarship consideration this Dec 1st. VCU only said that I would hear a decision before April 1.. no exact date
    Btw, did you get their VCUarts scholarship which is based on merit and artistic talent? I wonder how much they give.

~ New painting.. 1st: poster color. 2nd: water color
    Please let me hear your opinions. Thank you so much

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Cylia; December 11th, 2011 at 03:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! One thing. There are some really strong pieces here and some that, even though good, would not represent you in the best light. Make sure to only show your best stuff and not everything youve ever done ;p

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Saraiva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Alternative, I completely agree with you. In your opinion, which pieces are not as good as others?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah they did give me a lot, but I'm paying out of state, so now it's like I'm an in state who has to pay a couple thousand dollar penalty each year

Mine was a dean's so I think it was mostly an academic/achievement scholarship, but I could be wrong.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Whitesock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are really helpful, whitesock. Thank you so much

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nutshell review of SCAD by a recent SCAD grad

I am a recent graduate of SCAD. Scad has no portfolio requirements. You will not be asked for any samples of your art. You may send a portfolio in order to try for a scholarship but that is your choice. Your GPA matters very little as well. I knew many SCAD students who barely graduated high school. All SCAD cares about is that you have enough money. Unfortunately, this means that the level of instruction at SCAD is pretty low. I would not waste your money or time there.

Mike Weaver
    Illustration / Concept design
    www.conceptart.us

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @mike weaver: thanks for your insight. I've been hearing a lot about the bad reputation of SCAD, but SCAD has lots of scholarships, and that is what I've been looking for. Are SCAD students able to keep their scholarship? Or SCAD gets in their way again?

Also, can you tell me more about its Atlanta campus (good and bad points, instructors,...)? I'm going to apply for SCAD Atlanta (simply because it has more scholarships than the Savannah one, arg...) so please help me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

get your priorities in line

I would avoid the Atlanta campus at all costs. Those guys are essentially frauds. Especially the sequential department. You are young and it might not seem so, but your time is as (or more valuable) than the free tuition. Get yourself to a school that has real industry professionals teaching and get your craft learned while you are still young enough to do so. Free (or more likely reduced) tuition means very little by comparison.

Here is a recent article about SCAD:
    http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/...ys-profs-group

Mike Weaver
    www.conceptart.us

Kismet is offline The Chaotic Dreamer Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mike weaver View Post
    Here is a recent article about SCAD:
    http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/...ys-profs-group
    I've read a couple of articles on that issue before. It's about academic freedom for professors who work at SCAD. It's about the working conditions for the professors at the school and how SCAD didn't agree with AAUP's procedures -- it has NOTHING to do with the quality of their teaching skills. There are many professors who bend over backwards for their students regardless of SCAD's lack of a "good climate for academic freedom". So you are wrong; saying that "the level of instruction at SCAD is pretty low" depends solely on one's own opinions. Just because that's how you personally feel, that doesn't make it fact.

Also, that PARTICULAR link of yours is heavily saturated with the biases of the article's author. There's a lot of inaccurate info. For example, in the last 4 sentences, he claims that SCAD isn't accredited and that there's no student government. We DO have a student government and SCAD is accredited, just not on a national level. This is an issue that has been discussed throughout various forums millions of times. SCAD is accredited on a southern regional level. So unless you plan on getting a master's in order to teach, it's not something you should worry about. If you ARE planning on getting a master's and teaching, will it mean that if you want to teach at a school that is not in South, they'll tell you no? Of course not.

@Cylia: The ONE thing mike weaver is kind of correct about is that Atlanta campus is indeed lacking. (He's wrong about them being "frauds" and that there are no "real industry professionals teaching", but the Atlanta campus is generally accepted by everyone as the "bad campus".)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Kismet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I beg to differ

Kismet,

The entire line of concept design courses are being taught by profs who have ZERO professional concept design jobs on their resumes. I know them all personally, none of the profs have ever done a single concept design job, ever. The official policy of the department is to fake it. I got that straight for one of the profs who was feeling honest that day. That is fraud PERIOD.

Cylia, get yourself to a real school, such as Art Center or Cal Arts.

Mike Weaver
    www.conceptart.us

Kismet is offline The Chaotic Dreamer Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mike weaver View Post
    The entire line of concept design courses are being taught by profs who have ZERO professional concept design jobs on their resumes. I know them all personally, none of the profs have ever done a single concept design job, ever. The official policy of the department is to fake it. I got that straight for one of the profs who was feeling honest that day. That is fraud PERIOD.
    I can't comment on that from personal experience since I'm not pursuing concept art, but I can say that SCAD is not a school for concept art in particular. We only have a Concept Art for Games minor which consists of a mix of Sequential Art and Game Design courses, which (in my opinion) is useless unless if you just want a small taste of concept art (but it's really not worth the trouble). But if you're serious about being a concept artist, it makes a lot more sense to major in Illustration and maybe minor in Drawing or Storyboarding (if you want to refine your understandings of human anatomy and/or storytelling respectively).

Did you go to the Sav campus or the Atlanta campus? Can you give some of the names of the teachers in question? I ask because it's true that SCAD does have profs who are utterly useless (especially at the ATL campus), but it doesn't mean that every single teacher at SCAD is a bad cookie.

And I wouldn't recommend CalArts if his focus is going to be Graphic Design (that's what Cylia mentions in his first post). CalArts isn't really the go-to school for that major. They're best known for their Animation program. Their fees are way too high (even WITH scholarship aid) for the pursuit of something like Graphic Design. Art Center is a better choice for that, even though they're also extremely high in fees.

However, Cylia's main interest seems to be saving money. Considering either Art Center or CalArts would be the POLAR OPPOSITE of what his goal is.

Last edited by Kismet; December 20th, 2011 at 09:37 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kismet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your valuable opinion, Mike Weaver and Kismet. I'm still applying for SCAD, however
    Can you two tell me what the ALT campus is lacking, so I can decide whether or not to change the campus (I've chosen ALT in my online app) ?

And I'd love to know if you have any information about the Graphic Design program of SCAD (especially its quality, professors, safety,...). I'm on the other side of the globe so it is really great to have SCAD students helping me. Thank you so much!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, just wanna tell you guys, I've just received my acceptance to VCUarts today. I'm on cloud nineeeeeeee ♥ ♥ ♥

(though there's no financial aid package yet...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

awesome!

Dude thats where im trying to get into also! and i must say i love youre style. its very good... way better than me i might add haha good luck man maybe i will see you there one day

zach shelton 2011

31. The Following User Says Thank You to zachxsheltonx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks zachxsheltonx! Hope you can get into VCUarts too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Cylia, I applied to SCAD too recently for the exact same reason - I need scholarships or else there's no way I'm going! :/ I can honestly say my best advice for you would be to go all out trying to get the best possible application in ASAP.
    I dropped everything else - friends, social life, family - , cut my hours at work, and basically didn't sleep for a month during december to finally apply fully by Christmas. I submitted every possible supplement - Transcripts, resume, portfolio, etc and made sure I got great recommendations. Applying as early as possible seems to give you your best shot at getting scholarships; I was already notified of my acceptance and initial scholarships without even getting into the need-based ones yet.
    So, seriously, just go crazy for two weeks, amp up your portfolio as much as possible (I included a lot of traditional still lifes, try to cram those in.. also traditional paintings), and submit as soon as you can. Good luck

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlee. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your helpful advice, Marlee.
    I has just been accepted to SCAD with a $16,500 scholarship, and I'm going to apply for the need-based ones too.

I'm torn between SCAD and VCU now.... I'd appreciate if someone can help me make up my mind. Thank you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got some impressive ones! Personally, I think the paintings you produced with color are way stronger, and very clean and beautiful. Also, I think you should work on getting the dimensions of the face and its structure right, they look a bit off..

Also, I'm apply to VCU as well In Qatar

Members who have read this thread: 4