Follows
    Following

E.O.W Round #178: Nazgūl Nest

E.O.W Round #178: Nazgūl Nest

TOPIC = Nazgūl Nest

Topic suggested by Kan Muftic
    http://kanmuftic.blogspot.com///

Brief:

“Those who used the Nine Rings became mighty in their day, kings, sorcerers, and warriors of old. They obtained glory and great wealth, yet it turned to their undoing. They had, as it seemed, unending life, yet life became unendurable to them. They could walk, if they would, unseen by all eyes in this world beneath the sun, and they could see things in worlds invisible to mortal men; but too often they beheld only the phantoms and delusions of Sauron. And one by one, sooner or later, according to their native strength and to the good or evil of their wills in the beginning, they fell under the thralldom of the ring that they bore and of the domination of the One which was Sauron's. And they became forever invisible save to him that wore the Ruling Ring, and they entered into the realm of shadows. The Nazgūl were they, the Ringwraiths, the Ślairi, the Enemy's most terrible servants; darkness went with them, and they cried with the voices of death.”
    — The Silmarillion, "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age"

Now... you’re probably thinking. How can a Nazgūl be “born” if they were already born as men? My answer to you is to think of doing something less connected to the mythology. A mythical creature in some kind of tangible environment, like you would see in a natural history museum. Of course, that environment could be anything as long as it makes some kind of sense. Imagine for a second that the Nazgūl can be born and your job is to illustrate that.

What not to do: Don’t draw a Mordor landscape! I think this offers a very exciting theme with an iconic creature in mind. I would suggest to try to come up with something that would actually work in the real world and require you to do some wildlife research. It can vary from terrifying dark cliffs to beautiful mountains. Imagine a Nazgūl feeding it's chicks on a bright sunny day. Could be interesting.

“The Nazgūl came again . . . like vultures that expect their fill of doomed men's flesh. Out of sight and shot they flew, and yet were ever present, and their deadly voices rent the air. More unbearable they became, not less, at each new cry. At length even the stout-hearted would fling themselves to the ground as the hidden menace passed over them, or they would stand, letting their weapons fall from nerveless hands while into their minds a blackness came, and they thought no more of war, but only of hiding and of crawling, and of death.”
    — The Return of The King

- Please specify which image is final in this thread!

DEADLINE: Saturday, December 17 2011

***NOTE***
    The due date could be susceptible to change due to a possible crossover activity coming soon, but you will have at least 7 days and might have two weeks, but try to plan around the week to a week and a half area. Again: 7 days is guaranteed, but two weeks is a maybe.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Vulgar`; December 18th, 2011 at 12:56 AM.
    My site:
    http://thecentersphere.yolasite.com/

DA:
    http://halfshavenbananas.deviantart.com/

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Rob Powell is offline ...he draws aliens and doesn't afraid of anything...
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, this should turn out to be quite interesting...I might be able to wip something up for this...

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Um...yeah. Who? Where? What was the topic again?

[insert nonsensical late night scribble here]

Last edited by Blankstate; December 5th, 2011 at 08:48 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blankstate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not saying I dislike the latest topics, but it seems to me that EoW is becoming more of a IoW.

Nonetheless, I might cook something up for this round.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mila For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^How so? I will try to improve on that.

My site:

DA:

revenebo is offline orchitect and designerd
    Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mila All the better, environments aren't always wide-angle shots of natural landscapes. What if you are asked to design the interior of a spaceship??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just one question...Does the Nazgul have to be born in more of a "real world" context? Like from an egg or womb? Or can they be born into this environment from a magical element, like as be conjured perhaps. Maybe a ritual performance from other Nazgul?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by revenebo View Post
    Mila All the better, environments aren't always wide-angle shots of natural landscapes. What if you are asked to design the interior of a spaceship??
    The interiors and exteriors are that which matter ( in this community forum atleast ) The emphasis seems to lay more towards a person, verhicle or other subject in the last few topics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Damien Levs View Post
    Just one question...Does the Nazgul have to be born in more of a "real world" context? Like from an egg or womb? Or can they be born into this environment from a magical element, like as be conjured perhaps. Maybe a ritual performance from other Nazgul?
    That's fine. It's all up to your interpretation. Think of the guidelines as a mild form of guidance. Its encouraged to go off on your own creative pursuits.

Mila, feel free to take this topic as an interior or exterior.

My site:

DA:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This topic seems great Vulgar. I'm definetely in this time and very curious about what people will come up with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huh? I'm really confused. The Nazgul, the ringwraiths were doomed people. Now, they mounted on black horses, horrid flying beasts, etc. Are we talking about those flying beasts or the wraiths? Or somehow mixing these two? because then I see things like "feeding it's chicks" and "born out of an egg" (the flying creatures)?

So... it's just a nest of some mythological creature. And I may leave behind the Nazgul element to it because it's confusing me a lot.

Like for eg, think of these topics: "Hall of the Nazgul" vs "Nazgul's winged mount breeding nest"

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to noche For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'Nazgul's winged mount breeding nest' sounds like a really good topic actually, but try to go with a scenario like 'What if the ringwraiths could be born in another situation other than 'reborn' as doomed men under the control of Lord Sauron?'

It doesn't make complete sense to me either but that might mean it's all up to your interpretations. There aren't any right or wrongs here - think of this as a lopsided, sort of confusing set of instructions from a game designer to come up with something that falls under the description of 'Nazgul Nest.' Your challenge is to make the best of an 'abstract' guideline and conquer versatility through your own vision of what the theme could mean. The key words here: Birth, conception, nursery, creation. Maybe 'phenomena.'

Now, even though that probably makes the topic brief more vague than before...

Draw!

My site:

DA:

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like that last word! Got the base for mine done (yesterday or the day before or something, before i read your post Vulgar, not entirely knowing WTF i was doing lol) and will post it either today, or Thursday (GMT+12/nz). Later will mean more progress i guess, though i'm still working into last week's EoW haha. WTF am i doing posting this, should just go do some work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hummm okay, my idea was a summoning of sort, involving necromancy, old tombs, etc. etc.

Why not re-wake the dead and give them a new terrible form; a Ringwraith.

Here's a quickie. I'm not sure about it yet. I think I'll start over with some small and quicker thumbnails first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, ive been dabbing aimlessly haha. i don't know what i want and i don't know where im going. mila's direction i think

Name:  nazgulshit.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  196.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I must say I was thoroughly confused with the brief - but then Vulgar did address it later, saying just go with your own interpretation if I'm not mistaken. I'm starting to imagine wraiths in black robes emerging from Urak-Hai like egg sacks or something...

And just for everyone's information, the Nazgul are the dudes dressed in black, that go into the Shire to terrorize the hobbits, and then eventually ride the most badass creation of Weta Workshop + Tolkien - what's actually known as the "Fell Beast". The Fell Beast is the winged mount of the Wraiths in Jackson's LotR. So there you go, proper name supplied!

And since I'm a Rings nerd, I don't think I can stay out of this one. My hat is in!

For Death & Glory!

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~
    I don't paint things. I only paint the difference between things.
    Available for freelance or a position in your company's art department.
    Check out my Sketchbook, or my website www.pkillustration.com

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Thompson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe its not to landscapee enough, plus its not dark enought well i might start again. . . . .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adrian mate, i like your work so far
    if you dont mind the quick overpaint here's a bunch of things i see,

you can tweak the colors sky/mountain, and make them join together, be close to each other, it could help, also darken them if you want so. landsacpes like these have a lot of atmospheric color. background elements will catch a lot of this (sky colour mainly) - you may needf some bcgkrd middleground elements to help your foreground elemnts stand out (mountains on the left). also consider widening the canvas a bit, maybe it help the composition?
    and study rocky mountains for reference

also the dragon is way in the center right now in this overpaint. it might be better to keep it a bit more on the left like you had it, if you happen to resize the canvas.

hope it helps

Name:  overp.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  86.7 KB

26. The Following User Says Thank You to noche For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    noche: thank you for that, I didnt save my original psd!!! so i had to use
    my posted pic to work from LOL I was actually gonna give up until you pointed
    out a few things thank you,
    struggled to get that cold blue color you got, my image is still way too bright but im still trying to work the composition out a bit more, heres what i did.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, decided to chip in because I hardly do any environments and need the practice and extra portfolio material.. I actually went the classic 'mordor' route a bit with a (very) small twist. Not very original I know..

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Adrian:
    I might have gone more of a 3/4 top down view instead of straight from the side, that way we could actually see what's going on in the nest. I do like the idea of a nest with temple/lava-fed elements. On consistency with Tolkien-lore, the mountains and clouds of mordor should be ashen, instead of snowy or white. I might also make the tower of Barad Dur shooting out the red lazer instead of Mount Doom. Right now the composition is telling me a lot about mordor, but not a whole lot about fell beasts, or nazgul, and my eye is being drawn to the nest enough - mostly to mount doom or to the 'mouth' you've got going. I might add some eye catching elements to the nest itself - a fell beast feeding it's young might do it....

@Lennart:
    Your Mordor is looking spot on, with lots of good details. I'm loving the green smoke. However, I would love to see more of the nest, from what I can tell, it's that small area with the curved arms and the chains, right? that's a wonderful idea, maybe make it bigger, taking up more of that left corner? Or maybe add a second, closer nest? Again, like with Adrian the composition is telling me a lot about mordor, and I'd like to see more Fell Beast Nest.

btw, nice job on getting a full page in Imagine FX this month dude! I recognized your dark mage piece and said "woah, pixel tuner's in here!?" Well done!

@noche:
    I love the cave idea - nazgul bats! hanging egg sacks, gnarly mineral springs filled with gore to feed the young... lots of exciting directions to go with this one. go nuts man, i want to see more!

@mila:
    this is looking good, unique, like inside of Minas Morgul. excited to see more!

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~
    I don't paint things. I only paint the difference between things.
    Available for freelance or a position in your company's art department.
    Check out my Sketchbook, or my website www.pkillustration.com

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pat Thompson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thx Pat, hope it does something promo-wise, the ImagineFX thing I could use some work

It might be a good idea to create another nest closer to the viewer indeed, I'll goof around with it

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Change of plans. I thought it would be cool if a necromancer was harvesting potential candiates out of the Dead Marshes to become a Ringwraith.

I might chop down the tree a little and make it more rooted into the swamp itself.. It's rather stuck on the horizon too.. I'll have to change that. Maybe I should go easy on the Minas Morgul / Death color palette as well. whatcha think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Photo CHOP!

--------------------------------------------------------------

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Corrick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

gonna add the fell beasts flying and the nazgul sitting by a fire or something

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Snafu, i like yours!!

WIP progress so far, and description is done, will upload that with final. Still need to work on that figure in the foreground, but aside from that i don't know what else to do with it. I think the grass field could use something, but i don't know where i could place little woods (miniature forests) without messing up the composition.

Any crits?
    Name:  008.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  121.1 KB

Last edited by Max Challie; December 9th, 2011 at 02:52 AM.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Max Challie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff guys! Tuner and Corrick, i like! Snafu, nice brushwork

Despite of my lack of time, i wanted to through myself in again... been a while. The main idea is that the Nazgul are being born in a very slow process, inside a stalagmite, deep under a mountain. It is said that the trees of life grow on this mountain, with their roots reaching far under it, filling the earth with special minerals. These accumulate drop by drop, gathering inside the stone, creating a new, unnatural life. When the creature inside has gathered enough minerals, the hard stone shell weakens and ultimately breaks, giving birth to the Nazgul.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Vyse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update

@ Vyse, thanks! Nice idea and start, gives of a sense of discovery and mystery

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snafu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is it Snafu!
    hope you will finish it

i think you should limit number of nazguls and show their mass

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the theme a lot, I thought of a kind of mordor clone factory where the nazguls are constructed by machines. I wanted to make the factory look like an ancient form of factory but it looks too modern right now. Will try to fix that or start with a new one. As I spend quite some time I thought I post it. the second one is a try of a more classical approach, not sure where to take though, lets see

Last edited by android411; December 9th, 2011 at 05:22 PM.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to android411 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.