Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Let yourself be a beginner

I found out about this website at the same time I was really getting into drawing and sometimes I feel like I looked at my drawings at the standards of other people (which were all much better than me). So I always looked down on my drawing. While that motivated me a lot and it was crucial for my development (which is still not amazing, but i have had some development) i never let myself be a beginner. I jumped straight into the famous Bridgemans and Loomises without even understanding what form meant. I was just copying lines and things that looked sweet but I had no clue what i was doing. I recently found out I cannot do the 3d box exercise where i just draw boxes at different angles. I never let myself be a beginner to figure out really basic things like perspective. I feel like i didnt figure much out by myself and that made me not progress for a long time. One thing I wanted to say to beginners like myself is that concept art, illustration, animation, and all those other things only come way after learning fundamentals and accepting you dont know shit. I didnt accept that until I got to art school and know I am being bombarded by awesome information i had no clue existed.

I am just a beginner. If things I said were stupid, please tell me. And share your opinions too! I really want to just talk. Sometimes I feel like there so many "matter of fact" discussions in these forums and not enough chatting about something we all love.

Last edited by Saraiva; November 30th, 2011 at 04:58 PM. Reason: I took out my art school part because I dont want this to become an art school discussion
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Saraiva For This Useful Post:

Body is in Washington, Heart is in Texas, Brain is in Middle Earth
    Thanks
    Is there a link to this website?

I get what your saying, and it's good stuff. You mentioned a website though.

Thanks
    Haha this website is Conceptart.org. There is no other website.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Saraiva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Pretty sure he means this site lol. (Nvm like said above)

Thanks
    I hear you. I'm constantly finding myself running up against shortcomings in areas where I neglected or thought myself beyond the fundamentals. So while I think i'm pretty decent at some aspects of drawing, I'm sorely lacking in many key fundamental areas, and I find I have to keep going back and trying to master some basics that I probable should've mastered long ago.

I think its probably natural to want to race ahead of the boring fundamentals and get to the fun stuff. That's where a strict 19th-century style academic drawing master would've come in handy.

Body is in Washington, Heart is in Texas, Brain is in Middle Earth
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alternative View Post
    Haha this website is Conceptart.org. There is no other website.
    LOL
    I had it in my head you found some specific website.

Derp Derp Derp Derp

Thanks
    I used to do a lot of Swing Dancing. In the Swing world, there was a saying:

"Beginners take intermediate classes, intermediate students take advanced classes, and advanced students take basic classes"

Something similar happens in the art world, but the levels are not so clear cut. You have to be in the game long enough to begin to realize what the basics really even are- and even further how things like learning to draw a boring box accurately is actually quite critical. Just having the realization that there's a level that was previously too big or too small for you to even notice before is an important step towards real learning.

Congrats!

11. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to dose For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alternative View Post
    One thing I wanted to say to beginners like myself is that concept art, illustration, animation, and all those other things only come way after learning fundamentals and accepting you dont know shit. I didnt accept that until I got to art school and know I am being bombarded by awesome information i had no clue existed.
    Exactly.

Even the most fantastic, complex or sophisticated painting or illustration starts with the fundamentals...and it shows if any are poorly understood.

Really good anecdote there Tim!

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    Love that, dose. It's so true.

The advanced artist paints an apple on a table and makes it fascinating.

The beginner paints an army of space marines fighting off an alien invasion during a comet strike on a planet with two suns and makes it boring.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    As for me, all I know is that I know nothing, ... .
    Republic, 354b, (conclusion of book I)

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 5,793 Times in 1,165 Posts
    I recognize myself a lot in what you wrote, Alternative. I too jumped straight into things without knowing the fundamentals, and I suffered from it without knowing it. It was thanks to CA and for having a sketchbook that people here like JeffX99 could make me understand that it was the fundamentals that I needed to study foremost more then anything because it was hindering my progress. There's a reason they're called the fundamentals.

Also another thing that is important for beginners like me to understand is that becoming good doesn't happen after a week or two - but that it takes months and years of hard, hard work. That it is a successive development where every hour counts.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Whenever I start to worry about how long my progress takes, I like the think on this quote:

"From the age of six I had a mania for drawing the shapes of things. When I was fifty I had published a universe of designs. but all I have done before the the age of seventy is not worth bothering with. At seventy five I'll have learned something of the pattern of nature, of animals, of plants, of trees, birds, fish and insects. When I am eighty you will see real progress. At ninety I shall have cut my way deeply into the mystery of life itself. At a hundred I shall be a marvelous artist. At a hundred and ten everything I create; a dot, a line, will jump to life as never before. To all of you who are going to live as long as I do, I promise to keep my word. I am writing this in my old age. I used to call myself Hokosai, but today I sign my self 'The Old Man Mad About Drawing." --

Hokusai

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 753 Posts
    I agree with the original post. This is weird but with every year of studying figure drawing I realise more that the simplier I start the drawing, the easier it is to develop it further. I'm at the moment revising books about basic cartoony drawing and the brain seems to catch things faster than from some super complicated muscle diagrams.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1