Sketchbook: Grey's stuff - I hate hands. KNOW THY ENEMY
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Grey's stuff - I hate hands. KNOW THY ENEMY

I'll try to keep this introduction short. I'm probably in the same boat as quite a few beginners: drew 'manga' for a while then realised how stylised it was and went a bit more realistic. Unfortunately, I've only been drawing on and off for three or so years now and obviously haven't improved much in that time.
    That's where this sketchbook comes in.
    I've identified some major areas I need to work on first: hands, interacting with things, clothing and non-human objects in general. Starting off with hands, I'm going to do a lot of observation and drawing myself until I feel I understand how they work a bit better.

post reserved for when I have multiple pages and want a thumbnail

Last edited by grey sequences; November 29th, 2011 at 07:05 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Brace for huge post

Days 1-3 (well, partially Day 3, it's not over yet!)
    P1: starting off hands: looked up the bones and got quite a big surprise! I don't know what I was expecting, but for some reason I wasn't expecting separate bones, connected to each finger, to form the palm (even though, intuitively, I've had the tendency to draw in the tendons in the back of the hand, which would kind of imply that bone structure). I finally found out why I have particular trouble with the thumb, as well: it starts completely separated from the rest of the fingers (which is why the inside part of the hand near the wrist sticks out so much). I also noted that the top two joints of the fingers are roughly the same length as the first joint (although that joint starts at the knuckle and there's a bit of flesh before it actually becomes the finger).
    I then drew some hands (some from life, some in simpler poses by building up the bones).

P2: more hands: drew three more complete hands from life and one from drawing a rough skeleton. I then realised that I needed to look at the fingers some more and drew more detailed bones for them, finding that the second (and sometimes last, depending on the type of finger) joint is tapered where the first is not. After this, I drew a lot of index fingers, some of which were more successful than others.

P3: hand extravaganza: I was watching Lexx and started doodling a slightly lopsided Xev Bellringer. Unfortunately, she wouldn't stay still long enough (and YouTube quality isn't ideal anyway!) for me to actually get her features down properly, but I can tell who it is so I obviously got some degree of likeness. After that, I drew some more hands, including two that weren't from life. These two had longer fingers because I forgot that the second and third joints were as long as the entire first joint. I also looked a bit more at the thumb and its shape.

I also drew a bit of what's on my floor right now (two walking boots, a folded-over calf-length boot and a plastic bag - yes, my room is horrible), but it didn't photograph properly at all and I'm so rusty at using a pencil right now that it was pretty terrible anyway. Oh well, I did it and now I'm a little closer to becoming better at drawing.

Day 2
    P1: hands and more hands: pretty much what it says on the tin. I seem to draw my own fingers with varying degrees of thickness, which is weird and probably means that I have some kind of proportion problem. Sigh. Anyway, my hands are looking a bit less blocky (WELL, I CAN SEE IT) and my lines are a bit less scribbly because I'm getting used to the new shapes. I'm also focusing more on what I'm actually drawing when I draw hands without reference.
    I drew an apple twice (under slightly different light source placements, also it was a horrible-tasting apple), the bottom of a curtain (because it's half bunched up on a windowsill) and had a quick look at wrist bones and my own wrist.
    P2: guess what?: more hands, that's all. And a doodle I did whilst listening to Genesis (it's not obvious because it's so small, but I did think a bit more about the shape of her hands!)
    Day 3
    P1: HANDS: started looking a bit at how they're actually fleshed out because I was slightly bored, more accurate bone structure drawing from a photo (the existence of the metacarpals still blows my mind). Lines becoming a bit more confident - this will improve with time and I'm looking forward to it. also Also ALSO I drew a fingernail

Attached Images Attached Images          

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

slightly saner-sized update OF DEATH

Day 3 ctd
    P2: HANDS!: had a minor crisis when everything was turning out really wide, but managed to narrow the palms down again.
    Day 4
    I'm quite busy doing my coursework today (managed to run it far too many times and ended up with a 2GB TXT file as output XD), so this might be the only stuff I do.
    P1: hands and silly stuff: figured out another reason all my hands look fat: the palms are too short. Now I have proportion issues with thumbs. SIGH.
    Also drew two hands from imagination which I'm quite pleased with. I couldn't get the last two fingers to be positioned correctly on the first one and the second one's kind of flat and has a really broken wrist (whooooops), but it's a huge step forwards from what I was doing three days ago.
    I then couldn't be bothered to draw hands and doodled some stuff that was on my desk to fill up the page, including a pear which I added eyes to because its stalk made it look like it was sticking its tongue out.
    I have too much fruit.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your hands are looking really good. Don't lose heart and abandon this thread.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Orange For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

After a rather long period of absence and not drawing...

I'M NOT GOING TO GIVE UP!

More hands. Most significant revelations: that the thumb is aligned differently from the other fingers (I know it sounds obvious, but explicitly realising this helped my grasp of how everything is laid out), that the fingers' shape is more subtle than just being completely solid cylinders.
    Going for at least 100 hands before I try to actually do something with my newly-learned knowledge.Name:  hands11.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  313.9 KBName:  hands.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  293.7 KB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.