Restarting as an adult a serious restriction?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Restarting as an adult a serious restriction?

As a child I used to draw (and to a lesser extent, paint) all the time, but fell out of practice by my mid-teens from being forced to move countries multiple times.
    I've been itching to draw for a while, but my worry is this: I'm 20 now, near 21. I've been out of practice for years and while I am capable (both in schedule and mentality/enjoyment) of investing plenty of time into it, I worry that as I've been so out of practice that my skills wouldn't catch up to someone who has had art as a consistent hobby all their life.

My only self-reprieve is that I was considered very good for my age, but I'm jaded on that because obviously I'm aware of far more professional work now.

Beyond what I used to do- draw whatever I saw, I'm unsure as to how to go about improving my skills. For example, I never cross-hatched for shading; I mainly used different leads/strokes/densities of colour to shade and never really learnt how to cross-hatch.

Up until my mid teens I always said concept art was my dream job, and I feel that way now also so it would be great to hear some encouraging words and advice on getting my head back into sketchbooks, but the cynic in me refuses to abate without some feeling of confirmation that I wouldn't just be doomed to inferiority because of my disadvantage versus longer-practiced artists.

I'd much appreciate hearing what some more experienced artistic peers have to say on this matter, so, thoughts please!

Last edited by Lbycp; November 26th, 2011 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Title error
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,890 Times in 2,360 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I hear you can take art classes in the retirement home that you will be in shortly because you are now 21. The cut off point for concept artists is 20, anyone older than that has to go work at MacDonalds the rest of their lives.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude. i'm in my 40's, what are ye talkin about? looool :D:D

feel free to dive deep into the realm of art as you have so many years ahead of you. good luck ;)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dile_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    I hear you can take art classes in the retirement home that you will be in shortly because you are now 21. The cut off point for concept artists is 20, anyone older than that has to go work at MacDonalds the rest of their lives.
    Is this supposed to be funny? The vast majority of people I come across getting into concept art are already well practiced and/or involved in relevant training at my age.
    I felt it was a legitimate question because I have more of a journey than "my competition" to make. Getting sarcastic isn't any help and I felt something like "re-learning art as an adult any disadvantage?" was a lengthy title. I guess I'll go edit it to spare myself any more of this sort of reply.

Quote Originally Posted by jamsession View Post
    dude. i'm in my 40's, what are ye talkin about? looool

feel free to dive deep into the realm of art as you have so many years ahead of you. good luck
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, but just to address why I'm bothered about not having gotten on track with this at my omgyoungage; I had a pretty good education but didn't end up going to University whilst nearly all my peers went on to good Universities/Colleges, some of which were involved with art. I feel as though for most people 21 is an age at which they've already had a decent start on their career skills (i.e completed relevant higher education or obtained some experience), though maybe this is just because I grew up in a pompous environment?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just to reinforce the message: Your age matters jackshit! If anything your art will benefit from your maturity.

Our very own Baron Impossible had this to say:
    Six years ago when I was 35 my work was sub-par to everyone's, because up until that point I hadn't actually done any. Now I'm a full time illustrator. Trust me, you've got more important things to fuss about than whether you've over the hill at 19.
    http://www.painterly.co.uk/

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tugelbend For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, Just draw!!! If you enjoy it and want to make something out of it, you will do it anyway! I'm 27, in a full time job and I dream of being an illustrator. There are folks ten years my junior who are times better than I am, but that doesn't give anyone a reason not to try!

You're nearly 21, stop worrying, start drawing ....and have fun!

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you're too afraid to try, then don't bother.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't start drawing until I was 26 and it wasn't too late for me. (Never even picked up a pencil before then. I'm 28 now. I'm not at a professional level yet, but I've made pretty good progress considering my late start, I think.)

Instead of asking questions like this in the forum, just go draw. In the time it took you to type up this question, read the responses, and post a few of your own, you could have done several figure studies.. And those are going to be way more beneficial for you than anything going on in this thread.

In fact, it seems like about 95% of all art questions that get posted on here can be answered the same way -- shut up and just go draw. Expect to fail, keep trying again. You're the only one who is going to stop yourself from progressing and getting where you want to be.

.. So, what's it going to be? Give up and whine or shut up and draw?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Riley Stark For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,667 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lbycp View Post
    Is this supposed to be funny?
    It was. And it is. A professional art career is no place for the delicate.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will be turning 30 in a couple months and just started seriously about 1.5 years ago. Sure I'm a little older then some but whats my other option, work as a low-level medical admin for the rest of my life, bahhhhhh. I'd rather try and fail horribly then give into fear.

I had no idea the Baron was a bit older when he got serious, I love his work and that makes me even better about throwing myself into this crazy art world.

My Website I am available for work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If it's your dream, do it. When you get worried about being too old, just remember that when you are worried it only means you aren't working hard enough. In all seriousness, what happened to CA? Would it kill all of you (mods especially) to encourage the community to grow rather than being dicks.

Last edited by ethan karnopp; November 26th, 2011 at 01:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OP: My 82 year old Grandmother added me on facebook yesterday.

Take the hint.

My SketchBook

--Wait, whut? --
    Anonymous

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mossi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I was expecting at least in the 30's for this post.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,346 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you don't want to even start unless you're guaranteed success, that's not really a good sign. It's a long hard climb up, there's always going to be people ahead of you, you're going to get lost often and there's no guarantee that you're ever going to hit the top. You either have to be driven to succeed or you have to enjoy the trip for what it is. If you're the guy hanging out in the parking lot going "I don't know about this..." your first major failure will be confirmation that you were never really cut out for this and you'll turn back.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

23. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are 20, almost 21 year olds counted as adults?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lbycp View Post
    My only self-reprieve is that I was considered very good for my age, but I'm jaded on that because obviously I'm aware of far more professional work now.
    I think you're too caught up into the whole 'I'm afraid I will fail' idea, if you want to do it just do it don't think about it, you can't fail because there is no fail, as long as you enjoy it and you keep at it you're just going to get better.

21 is still very young and you got plenty of time, time that you're wasting doubting yourself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Conniekat8 View Post
    Are 20, almost 21 year olds counted as adults?
    Hope not, I'm 20 and clinging onto my childhood desperately. I don't want to be classed as an adult.

OP - If you start now, by the time you're 30 you will have 10 years of experience and STILL be young. Please don't fret about it too much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also with failing.

Falling isn't failing, not getting back up is.

My SketchBook

--Wait, whut? --
    Anonymous

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    20 years old? You're still an infant! You can make a hell of a lot of progress in even just one year if you put in work.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Not starting is the only serious restriction.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

30. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Wooly ESS is offline personal reinventor and observer of life Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never started drawing until I was 45. I'm in my sixties now and just getting into my art career (the first 40 years of my working life were spent doing something else). There is nothing I wouldn't try if I was 21. Hell, there's nothing I won't try now!

The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wooly ESS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by meirou View Post
    Hope not, I'm 20 and clinging onto my childhood desperately. I don't want to be classed as an adult.

OP - If you start now, by the time you're 30 you will have 10 years of experience and STILL be young. Please don't fret about it too much.
    A dear friend of mine told me the other day (I'm 42), as much as you hate it, you *are* counted as an adult!

It had to do with cold medicine dosage.... but still... I was like... noooo, don't remind me! *shudder*

Although, I was much more concerned about acting all serious, prim and proper in my mid 20's then now.

So, last year I decided to seriously work on my second career, art. Most likely game and 3D media art. If someone thinks I'm too old... we'll *they'll* get over it.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Conniekat8 For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    16-year-old asked me when I was 45 who stretched my 10' x 8' canvases since I was obviously unable to do it myself due to my a d v a n c e d age...

I shot the bastard and stretched his hide for a series of miniature portraits of my neighbor's goldfish. She was very appreciative.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You need to stop thinking and just dive into it.
    If it's for you, it'll stick to you.

Also, doing this professionally can be a pain in the ass but I love the pain ooooh so goood.

Members who have read this thread: 1