Sketchbook: Yemi's sketchbook... - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Yemi's sketchbook...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update and great dedication.

Your anatomy is coming along, keep the studies up! I happen to agree with Lakai – getting a little messy while drawing can take away some fear – at least for me.
    The values in your paintings are still kinda extreme. If you put a black layer on top of your paintings and set it to "saturation" you will see that you are using a lot of pure whites and pure blacks (value vise). This should be avoided because in nature, you normally don't find them. The portrait you've painted is way better in this regard.

I would suggest doing some B/W studies, to get a better feeling for values.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Yemi! Loving the progress and I think the biggest thing I see is just proportions with the face. Your bodies are coming along really well and they feel very accurately proportioned. Also when your shading think about the shapes the shadows make. Your good at simplifying down shadows and using big swatches of paint. So I would suggest working on shadow mapping and blocking out some greyscale portraits in 2 values before introducing new values. Example here and an explanation here. And some do's and don'ts from the Famous Artist Course. I have this printed on my wall myself as my checklist with faces.

Some asaro head studies will help as well. Daarken has a great tutorial on painting these. I can see your slowly introducing more form and being more brazen with it so working in planes for a little bit will help a lot. It helped me a lot with learning form, also studying basic shapes. Painting some squares, circles, and cones will help so much because they are the basic forms that everything is made from. Hope this helps and I'm really looking forward to your progress! I love your go-getter attitude and your super sweet about your crits. Your a pretty cool guy Yemi!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates here man. It's all about that mileage. It's hard for us to see or really realize that now since we're very much short term creatures, we crave instant or almost-instant gratification, but so long as you practice everyday or almost everyday, you will reach the next paradigm sooner than you may think it will.

Just keep at it!

ART. MORE. NOW.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, the pencils come along nicely. I'd recommend you to do some renderings as well, it's always good to not just focus on the lines and think more of it as a form. For your digitals: Do thumbnail studies with a lot of different lighting situations and colors(landscapes), that might be a great excercise for you to see the colors more accurately.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All the recent anatomy drawing have been well executed, some a bit stubby, but the placement is great. Try doing more grey scale painting, it will help you understand form faster than doing colour studies. Keep at it pal!

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try warming up with gesture then building on top of gesture so your poses arent so stiff. If you havent checked him out, check out Hamptons book.

Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're getting a lot of advice in here so I'd just like to reiterate how much time it can take to understand some of this stuff.
    In relation to industrial design I've linked a few videos from Fang Zhu (all his videos have information about what it takes). My understanding is that industrial design is about your knowledge of design and the ability to communicate that with perspective (constructed and free hand), value and then colour.
    keep at it.

Portfolio Prep
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrbfOpIP_UY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNhFLcsgh8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st5wZlkDzhM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7xGbVR_n5Y
    Visual Library
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnflBERf2zM
    Illustration & Industrial Design
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TVji_fiKsw

May Strength Be Kind and Courage Gentle
    Princes of the Universe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doing great!

SKETCHBOOK or MICHALMACKO.COM
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    You and only you, with your own sincere self-discipline, and effort, can make yourself an artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update!!!!!

Lakai : Thanks dude i'll definitely try being dirty!

ninaren : Thanks dude, more gestures here.

ecki : Thanks dude, i agree with you and Lakai i will definitely try being more dirtier. On the color side i was having problem choosing colors so i had to use the real main color itself, thanks though i will keep pushing.

Eyecager : Thank you so much Amber i really appreciate it, you are one of the coolest down to earth people on CA

Mr.Pryminista : You are absolutely right man, Thanks for stopping by.

LastGen : you must be my mind LastGen, cause you know what i am thinking. you seriously do, i have been telling myself i need to draw everything before i paint it. Thanks for pointing it out!

Chris Sanders : Thanks man.

Wingal : you are right that's why i try to do it as much as possible.

Just Call Me Bruce! : Thanks man, very helpful!

eclip-se : Thanks man!

Thanks for all the advice y'all!

stuff from memory (no reference)
    Name:  elfy nude.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  170.7 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-27 at 6.51.39 PM.png
Views: 294
Size:  269.4 KB

Studies
    Name:  leather purse still.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  44.3 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-23 at 8.01.20 PM.png
Views: 355
Size:  73.6 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-23 at 8.01.47 PM.png
Views: 292
Size:  61.0 KB
    Attachment 1697535
    Name:  Portrait_of_Colonel_Thomas_ copy.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  88.6 KB
    Attachment 1697533
    Name:  this.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  93.4 KB

Blind contour-do it y'all it really helps!
    Name:  blind contour.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  261.5 KB

Gestures!
    Name:  gesture drawing january2013.jpg
Size:  87.7 KB

Still life
    Name:  toy still.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  118.1 KB
    Attachment 1697529
    Name:  still life boot.jpg
Size:  40.9 KB
    Name:  still life1222013.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  83.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update man!

I like the way your linework is coming along.
    What I don't like are the values in your paintings. You should try to observe small value changes and gradients. The book + apple is going in the right direction. You should really take your time when painting to get all the small gradients and value changes correctly. Try to observer more closely how the values make up the form and work on that. Also you're working extremely saturated, I think this color intensity is rarely found in real life, maybe try to turn that down a little

Just keep your nose to the grindstone, you'll get it eventually

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're doing great man. You have a good variety of studies and I can see that you definitely take into consideration the critiques you receive. Keep at it!

Sketchbook -- Any feedback helps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those blind contour sketches are awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Stuff from memory and master study.

ecki : dude i agree, i don't know what is wrong with my sense of color lastly.

eroquii : Thanks man, i try to take these crits seriously i've seen various artists make it from this site.

Juan2.0 : Blind contour line exercises are the shit the help man, i'll be doing more of them.

Stuff from memory and master study.

Name:  Dailly doodle 1.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  144.9 KB
    Name:  Sargent-CasparGoodrich copy.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  112.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice updates! with your colors and values i would suggest some more variance, as in use more colors and values so it doesnt look so flat, anyways keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely keep drawing for at least an hour a day. Maybe even don't worry about colour studies for now, since it's kind of like the icing on your skills cake. But if you really must do colour studies, use the colour picker and check out the saturation and value for each of the colours you pick off the master references. It should inform you a great deal about how to mix and use colours.

I made the mistake of not using the colour picker early on in my studies stages and it hindered me.

But whatever you do, don't stop drawing and I'll try to do the same.

Pce.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff man your line work had gotten a lot nicer! the only think id really recommend is to really take your time with one of your still life/ studies and render them out a bit more! Other than than man your doing great just keep grinding well make it someday!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Arteast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, your mark-making is really energetic and fun, the master study of the boy is especially great. Looks like you're trying to observe the changes in values more there, too. I notice that the torsos of the women in your drawings from memory are kind of short though, watch out for that. Apart from that, I can only repeat what some other people have said and advise you to slow down a bit. When you do your studies, maybe try doing one slow, careful, more observational drawing after some quick warm up sketches.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Clur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have reminded me why I need to do more blind (or any) drawings...:| Good lines...good lines.

-TeT-

Keep your dream alive - Feed it daily!

"The true essence of swordsmanship is like the willow blowing in the gentle breeze" - Tesshu (someday my art will be like this)

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi mate, massive progress visible here, proportions and figure studies are getting better and better. I'd recommend taking your perspective studies a bit further, since you're interested in industrial design. Things like the station point, cone of vision, understanding the relationship of vanishing points to the picture plane, measuring along lines in perspective, it's all incredibly useful. As soon as you start to get it, you'll wish you'd covered it much sooner (it makes everything easier).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was going to say thanks for the comment on my thread and if you are interested in industrial design There is a gnomon dvd by scott robertson called basic form drawing it is very useful yea like super useful one of my friends lent me it but yea if you can cheek it out I don't really get why gnomon dvds aren't more popular I have been using them and they work great in terms of understanding fundamentals and getting correct work so yea some are worth it

Last edited by hobbes.x54BB; January 29th, 2013 at 08:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, the painting in your last update is way nicer observed! Also it's a little less saturated.
    Keep it coming and really take your time to observe colors and value as closely as possible.

Nice work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice masterstudy dude! Good colors!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kevin_ : I agree i'll try doing still life everyday from now on because i'm using the right colors.

RyanRyan : Thanks man, you are absolutely right i'll just practice more still life instead.

Arteast : Thanks man, it's the frustration but they won't stop me i promise

Clur : Yes i needed to better my value observation and thanks for pointing out the woman i'll watch out for that next time. i need to slow down seriously i'll work on that

Tetsuo: i'll be doing more of them, they are so helpful and they kind of help you observe and see better.

Kvetch : Ha thanks. i've been watching scott robertson i'll be doing and posting more perspectives soon.

hobbes.x54BB : Sweet thanks for stopping by and i've been studying perspective just looking how other artist apply them for now i'll try posting soon.

ecki : Thanks man. since everyone has been saying i need to slow down and observe i better start slowing down lol

Flaskpost : Thanks man

Since i've been have more color problem lately i'll be doing more stilllifes. I will also try doing some industrial design stuff (i don't know how to approach them)

so had a really horrible week, i caught the flu i hope to get better by tomorrow when my art class starts.

Thumbnail sketches
    Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-31 at 4.26.52 PM.png
Views: 211
Size:  78.7 KB Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-31 at 4.27.28 PM.png
Views: 216
Size:  150.6 KB Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-31 at 4.27.08 PM.png
Size:  311.5 KB

Studies
    Name:  medieval-knight-heraldry-sca-surcoat copy.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  140.2 KBName:  Screen Shot 2013-01-31 at 4.34.22 PM.png
Views: 215
Size:  270.2 KB

Not final piece, that's why i posting to get help. Please make suggestions i'm really excited about this knight/soldier thing
    Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-29 at 2.28.24 PM.png
Views: 213
Size:  112.8 KB

Still life from this morning
    Name:  Apple still.jpg
Size:  150.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep up the good work dude ! I think you should more draw than paint, until you have strong drawing skills, and then switch to painting more, ( and when you get better at drawing, you get better at understanding volumes, etc, which helps for painting too, so your improve at everything ! " keep it uuup !!!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to kikindaface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work and consistent effort! You can definitely see improvement throughout the thread which is awesome. I see we're working on a lot of similar reference too! Andrew Loomis is a badass.

As a bit of crit have you tried drawing on location? It really helps soooo much if you go out and draw cars, houses, plants. I find my drawings from photo or master copies can start flattening out if I don't supplement with regular life drawing. Plus it makes it studying more interesting to switch it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've noticed in a couple of the portraits you tend to make the right slightly side of the faces slightly wider than the left. Not true with all of them, but the boxer, some of the skulls, girl with the eye-patch and and the gas mask, lincoln... might want to keep an eye out for that. Good stuff, you're putting out a lot of work.

I'm new here and could always use some advice / criticism. Feel free to take a peak at my sketchbook if you have the time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great dedication so far! I love your energy. Though, I do agree with a lot of the critique said, try to work on smaller things. The most basic of all painting/rending studies is light/form; Spheres, cylinders and cubes, pyramids and so on. The moment you understand how to get their values right, you'll see that the rest becomes easier (this applies to any artist, no matter their skill level). The spartan camp this week has light study if you're interested, link. There are also lots of useful refs in that thread.

Keep up the good work!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to - nat - For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great updates! Keep pushing abd fixing, put attention generar forms and how they combine.

sketchbook
    my web Looking for a work

Помогите c активностью форуму-скетчбуку mentalant.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice works, looks like you are working more on your colors. well done!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving your recent updates and how you're improving, great work Yemi!

Please, check my SKETCHBOOK and leave feedback. I want to improve!
    "Little by little, one travels far."
    - J. R. R. Tolkien
    -----
    Don't forget to check their sketchbooks as well:
    Aragah

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 13