Sketchbook: Yemi's sketchbook... - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Yemi's sketchbook...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies! I especially like the bridgeman ones
    It'll be cool to add more work from imagination (as you seem to be stronger in observation drawing), keep up the good work!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff here. You seem to really be grasping the 3 dimensional Hampton studies. You're gonna be good. I just know it.

It took me like three hours to finish the shading on your upper lip. It's probably the best drawing I've ever done.

My sketchbook (it'll get good near the end)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi yemi, thanks for the kind words in my sb. I saw a few paint overs in here so i thought id jump in and give you another one, it better illustrates my point.

First of all great to see some hard core studying. As far as the zombie dude goes, first of all hes very static, try to add some movement and asymmetry in to add interest. I highly recommend the dynamic figure drawing DVDs by Dave Finch. I'm not sure if you had a drawing underneath the painting. I've tried working with and without and really prefer having a drawing down first. Next lighting, lighting is paramount to selling an image,not necessary in a design, but if you can get it in there fast you can give people a much better idea of what it is there looking at. Your lighting atm could be improved, maybe try getting to a cast drawing workshop, and or bust out the still life drawings. get a lamp and some fruit and play around and observe. Scott Robertson has some good tutorials on rendering. But nothing beats value studies, with some theory on top of that you'll be flying. BTW, grey scale painting is great i agree! Keep up the good work man.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Capt Surge: i do agree i need to study light seriously thanks i'll consider that.

Zauselbart: Thanks for taking the time to do a paint over, it made a difference seeing it from someone else's point of view, i guess i have to plan before working right? I'll do more grey scale so i can get an understanding of things.

Saran09: you are absolutely right man, i don't know how to help my figures from memory any tip?

Liberty : You are right liberty do you think because i don't try doing something from memory after study id affecting my personal works?

kevin_ : Thanks Kevin_, very much appreciated

ecki: holy shit dude thanks for stopping by and listing some resources, i love your perspective stuff man! i hope to kick ass like you soon.

e-nat : Thanks haha, i likes bridgeman, i'll try my best to do more works from imagination ugh, i'm having trouble applying though any tip?

J@n!t : Thanks haha Hampton is one of my heros

Chris Sanders : You took it to the next level on that paint over, Thanks for taking time out , i see what you mean and i'll begin to study the shit out of light till light knows me if that makes sense :/ Thanks haha.

I'm sorry i haven't posted all week due to my sickness and all other crap. i managed to work through it all *DEDICATION* yes!
    Back to work now, hardcore. I've been working on perspective and it's kicking my ass, but i'm not giving up.
    i can't wait to start kicking all perspective ass *PERSPECTIVE* <---- me in the future kicking perspective ass

some stuff from memory, Observation and Perspective. (some of those perspective are me laying in bed or at the dmv)

Name:  DSC03895.JPG
Views: 395
Size:  122.1 KB
    Name:  character doodles.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  101.1 KB
    Name:  skull still.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  221.2 KB
    Name:  DSC03888.JPG
Views: 390
Size:  238.0 KB
    Name:  DSC03887.JPG
Views: 397
Size:  494.5 KB
    Name:  DSC03889.JPG
Views: 389
Size:  517.0 KB
    Name:  DSC03890.JPG
Views: 390
Size:  204.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice update!

Go for some more still lifes, I think they will really help your rendering. What helped me quite a lot is to look at some stills from Janaschi and Algenpfleger – just to see how they approach values and textures. Keep it coming!

For the perspective, I'd suggest to read a little about 2-point perspective, and give it a try. The most important things for 2-point are: The cone of vision is 60° from the station point, The vanishing Points are always 90° from the station point. Try to draw some simple environments in perspective. I think this is more helpful and more fun than those boxes,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Akin, nice stuff!

My advice would be to focus on drawing accurately and painting harmonious values, colour can come later and it will be much easier to learn if you have the drawing and values in check. All the anatomy and structure studies you are doing will help a great deal, definitely keep doing those! I would also recommend doing 5 hands from a mirror a day so that you aren't always copying photos and you get into a daily routine. Try to make cleaner lines too, your digital lines are much better than the ones in pencil but it can be better all around you can have rough lines and make them look good but it requires style and character imo which comes naturally after a while.

For values I would recommend looking at a shit-ton of stuff from the 19th century, a lot of artists like Sargent and Zorn have a great way of simplifying the dark and light tones and putting emphasis of modeling into the mid tones where all the edges are. They were also really good at value economy, seperating things into simple groups of values and making sure they all balance. You want to keep your value range very tight and use accents sparingly, this will make things pop and appear to have a broader value range than they actually do.

You also need to think about unity and harmony, making sure that things belong together in a unified whole and not pop out too much. Ask yourself if a certain area seems to "fit" into the other parts of the painting or not, if not then you have to fix it probably by making the values closer together and softening some edges.

I hope that helps! good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Yemi, firstly thanks for stopping by on my sketchbook and ty for the encouragement!

I think you are improving already, the most important thing is commitment to learning and its all about execution and how well you understand the basics. I think its great that you want to try and attempt various ideas and such but I think it would benefit you a lot if you limit it back to basics and just focus on the cores like for eg tone...this helped me be able to draw things more accurately in general as you are constantly comparing the values across the whole composition and it trains you to do this instinctively and it will also help you understand forms better and also how light plays its part. There are layers on information that you can learn from just repeating the basics. Hope that helps keep it up!

------>SKETCHBOOK

------> BLOG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man your line quality is definitely improving. Lots of improvement on that part. Although I feel you need to study the anatomy more for the proper muscle definitions and shapes ( especially the torso). In some of the figure drawings you have gotten the silhouette right but the detailing of muscles inside like pectoral muscles, the abs look a bit random and hurried. So take some time out everyday for drawing anatomy either from life or references to know the anatomy then carry on with the things that you do. Other than that, you are on the right track. I especially like the anatomy studies on post #76. Keep them up

sense of purpose
    my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're getting some good advice. I'd just add not to get to frustrated, it takes time and effort to take that advice and really understand it.
    Keep at it!

May Strength Be Kind and Courage Gentle
    Princes of the Universe

JamesSimons is offline why? are you afraid we’ll get killed? Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ditto what my good bro said!...don't forget to have fun!

Merry X-mas!

"You're already DEAD!"
    Princes of the Universe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great amount of work in here, your line work is great and those figure studies on page 3 are very good! I think your knowledge on colour could improve a lot if you read Kevin Macpherson's 'Fill your oil paintings with light & colour' & James Gurney's 'Colour and Light', I've found them extremely helpful in understanding colour and I think you would benefit from reading them when it comes to your digital still life's, just a recommendation so keep up the good work.

Where bears with balalaykas are on the Red Square
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep practicing man! Practice can be frustrating and boring, cause you might not feel the progress in days and weeks, but after months and years of work it will be paid off nicely. Also a tip - don't push too hard on pen or pencil and don't do such abrupt short strokes. Try to be more fluent, feel the flow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should do live gesture studies. Quicksketching of 1-3 minute poses really helps you capture gesture and helps your work in general to become more dynamic. Ask someone to pose for you from time to time, doesn't even have to be nude if it's just to capure gesture. It's fun too, way more fun then doing static studies from books.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ecki Haha thanks, i've been looking at Algenpfleger, Miles Johnston, Sam Carr and Janaschi lately. And i'll check out those 2 point perspective gracias

archipelago Thanks a lot man, i'll definitely do as you have said.

Saran09 Thanks for stopping by man, very well appreciated. By "Basics" do you mean foundation?

sin eater Ha, thanks a lot and i have taken the time to study the torso . More anatomy and imaginary drawing soon!

Just Call Me Bruce! Thanks sir, i appreciate you stopping by.

JamesSimons i will surely have fun. i'll constantly remind myself to do so.

BenjaminJL92 Thanks for stopping by and the suggestions, i know about Gurney i'll check out Kevin Macpherson though.

Seraph Fawkes Thanks man

Setherial you are so right, i'll definitely do it and upload on my next update.

sorry i've been gone for a while, i've been sick. i managed to work though, now i'm well . DEDICATION Laziness
    So it's going to be a NewYear, and i've gotta see great improvements, i've gotta do my Imaginary stufff. i have to go "HAM" yeah i have to because i no choice here. This yeah i want to accomplish a lot artistically, i'll be making a very specific NewYears resolution just so i know what i want.

Guys i'm not in school now i'll try applying to a community college for industrial design. i want to design products as well as work in the concept art industry, is that possible? How do i coach myself? any input on industrial design please.

Referenced
    Name:  DSC03897.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  300.4 KB

Memory
    Name:  DSC03900.JPG
Size:  249.2 KB
    Name:  DSC03901.JPG
Views: 311
Size:  120.8 KB

Name:  hands.jpg
Size:  68.4 KBName:  Hand study.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  56.0 KB
    Name:  Bridgman Anatomy.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  50.7 KB

My christmas tree-i should have made her more of a sexual appeal though. Blah STUFF FROM MEMORY
    Name:  lil girl.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  114.3 KB

Last edited by Yemi775; December 25th, 2012 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Soo much improvement, the simplification of form in figures is really good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great Improvement there, mate. Try working more on the observation towards the "negative space" that objects can be placed towards a space (if that makes sense).
    Keep going! Merry Christmas

Please, check my SKETCHBOOK and leave feedback. I want to improve!
    "Little by little, one travels far."
    - J. R. R. Tolkien
    -----
    Don't forget to check their sketchbooks as well:
    Aragah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great Improvement there, mate. Try working more on the observation towards the "negative space" that objects can be placed towards a space (if that makes sense).
    Keep going! Merry Christmas

Please, check my SKETCHBOOK and leave feedback. I want to improve!
    "Little by little, one travels far."
    - J. R. R. Tolkien
    -----
    Don't forget to check their sketchbooks as well:
    Aragah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Yemi775
    keep up the studies - you are doing great - good improvement!
    the lady is nice but i would to try to simplify more!
    for me are the legs to short

i did a over painting - i hope it's explain what i mean

keep up the good work

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Blog

Zauselbarts Sketchbook

Looking for a Mentor!
    stop whining, start working

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ecki View Post

For learning perspective I would recommend David Chelsea's "Perspective for Comic Book Artists" and Scott Robertson's first DVD (Basics Drawing).
    +1 on this. David Chealsea's book is also available online for free, just search for it on Scribd. Looking at your work, I see what most beginning artists suffer from (myself completely included in that group) which is a general lack of understanding of perspective, construction and form. Do as much as you can to study these topics and study them as in depth as if you were an industrial design/architectural student, since perspective alone will work wonders to equip with you tools to tackle the complex thought that goes into plotting 3D spaces onto 2D planes, i.e. that blank white sheet of paper staring back at you. It's, IMO, the most important area for you to be studying, yet it's a shame that it gets put aside or even not dealt with at all. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing you hit the fundamentals hard!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there!

Based off of what I see here on this page, you definitely want to stick to drawing for now and leave the painting for later. After all, painting is just drawing with a paintbrush. Like you were doing at the top of the page, just keep working on your foundations, like figure drawing for instance. When drawing, watch your line weight, watch for scratchy short lines, you want longer, confident lines. You have to build yourself up to the point where you know what line goes where and for what reason. As far as form and proportion goes, they're looking pretty good. It's just those chicken scratches that you want to unlearn.

Alrighty, hope this helps.

Cheers!

ART. MORE. NOW.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there!

Based off of what I see here on this page, you definitely want to stick to drawing for now and leave the painting for later. After all, painting is just drawing with a paintbrush. Like you were doing at the top of the page, just keep working on your foundations, like figure drawing for instance. When drawing, watch your line weight, watch for scratchy short lines, you want longer, confident lines. You have to build yourself up to the point where you know what line goes where and for what reason. As far as form and proportion goes, they're looking pretty good. It's just those chicken scratches that you want to unlearn.

Alrighty, hope this helps.

Cheers!

ART. MORE. NOW.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ConnyNordlund: trust me i'll keep pushing. Thanks!

Icecold : Thanks Sir.

ChisLu : Thanks, i really appreciate it.

Zauselbart : Thanks, for taking the time out to repaint. Very well appreciated.

MrFrenik : Thanks a lot man, i'll definitely work on those fundamentals more.

Mr.Pryminista : I have actually once consider that, but since you brought it up now i'll definitely keep it in mind. Thanks

Question: is it possible to experience back pain from sitting too long?
    Stufff from memory and study. my light sources suck, so feel free to help a brother out. Thanks and enjoy.

Name:  commando.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  132.7 KB
    Name:  girl.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  103.5 KBName:  female.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  46.9 KB
    Name:  ed7f51fa8296bbe8d8e2b385613b-post copy copy.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  120.8 KB
    Name:  DSC03906.JPG
Views: 259
Size:  310.5 KB
    Name:  DSC03904.JPG
Views: 255
Size:  283.0 KB
    Name:  DSC03908.JPG
Views: 256
Size:  264.5 KB
    Name:  leg anatomy.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  112.3 KB

Should i continue this? the lighting is not so great though. Suggestions.
    Name:  doodle horse and gas mask copy copy.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  233.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, great updates and great improvement! Especially in your anatomy studies.

I happen to disagree with Mr.Pryminista, I think that drawing and painting are kinda the same when it comes to proportions, anatomy and details. However, if you want to improve your knowledge about lighting, color theory and how light works in general, there is nothing better than still life paintings.

I would suggest that you did more still life paintings and photo studies, so get a better understanding of light, color and skintones. I think that this would improve your paintings a ton.

keep up the motivation!

and btw. Yes, sitting to long can cause back pains. Try to make short breaks every 2 hours or so to stretch a little. Could also be that you're gripping your pen too harshly or that your setup just isn't arranged ergonomically, check this out: http://www.davidrevoy.com/?article30...aphics-tablets

Also make sure that you're sitting straight and that your arms are resting in an ~90° angle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good improvement + the leg studies are great!
    i would love to see the man with the mask and horse in a 3/4 picture
    keep pushing

Blog

Zauselbarts Sketchbook

Looking for a Mentor!
    stop whining, start working

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo dawg strong dedication here!Linework has improved greately in the 2 last pages the sketcbook portrait drawings are great working wih greyscale is a great way to learn how to render form keep at it and carry on with hampton his book is great,as far as color goes i see some missmatch i think,not the best person to say something about color so i just will mention about studying color theory, primary ,secondary colors how they mix and produce other tones that might help to see better the colors from ref better definatelly will help with pieces from your mind,anyhow hope it helped and keep pushing it!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Way to go Yemi, push it! >

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ecki: Thanks dude.You are improving too man, your perspective and lines are improving. sir i took your advise and here light studies and application.

Zauselbart: Thanks sir! what do you mean by 3/4 picture?

Dimi: i agree on that, i'll do the color theory and learn color like a crazed man.

Forrest_I : Thanks buddy

Studies
    Name:  DSC03911.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  135.5 KBName:  DSC03913.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  154.1 KB
    Name:  DSC03917.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  301.4 KB
    Name:  DSC03914.JPG
Views: 161
Size:  191.4 KB
    Name:  Gestures january 2014.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  217.9 KB
    Name:  DSC03910.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  264.5 KB

Imaginative stuff
    Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-01 at 3.27.20 AM.png
Views: 162
Size:  88.4 KB
    Name:  chick with gun.jpg
Size:  120.3 KB
    Name:  DSC03909.JPG
Size:  334.2 KB
    Name:  DSC03915.JPG
Views: 159
Size:  185.0 KB
    Name:  DSC03916.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  183.1 KB

Light study stuff
    Name:  Kenny Foster v Chris Foster _50_.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  62.1 KB
    Name:  tumblr_lk9a7h4vSl1qc49m9o1_500 copy.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  102.4 KB
    Name:  106_Jim_Miller_vs_Joe_Lauzon_gallery_post copy.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  200.6 KB
    Name:  DLyWq.jpg
Size:  143.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey yemi, nice update!
    Ur sketchbook pages look pretty ordered and clean. Make them dirty dude overlap forms, draw over ur stuff, more construction lines etc. Try to loosen up ...the sketchbook is more about experimenting finding ideas imo. U gonna draw more clean stuff naturally when u gain a better understanding of art. But maybe I'm wrong and u are already relaxed anyways hope it helps somehow.
    Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, nice progress, I like the gesture 40 sec study alot Thanks for stopping by my SB and keep it up keep em coming

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 13