Sketchbook: "Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration" -> Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration" -> Sketchbook

New works on the latest page ->

Name: Roope Määttä
    Birthday: 02.12.92

Artist

First oil painting:

Name:  asfadsfadsdfsaadfsfdsa.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  103.9 KB

Last edited by Roope Maatta; 1 Week Ago at 04:27 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Max 15s Gestures

Edit: Original first and second post are combined
    -----------------------------------
    Comments, criticism and everything is welcome here. If you ask I'll answer. Here is some of my studies and works.
    -Art is bloody fuuuuun, difficult, and more fun

Life drawings 12 minutes at the most:
    "Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration" -> Sketchbook

-------------------

I stayed after practice at Kajaani's local sport center to do some gesture drawings. All of these were done under 15 seconds, I took time with my phone .

I'm the actor and the paper is my stage. The acting is in my mind and clarity of feeling is key. I need more clarity and complete understanding of the action that takes place. While drawing I often feel somewhat confused. Everyone is movie, playing the game in real time, real life. I try to play with them, In the paper, in my mind. The game should be played evenly quickly and fluidly, not getting stuck on one part.

This game is a fun and difficult one, to play with ones mind, paper and hand.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Roope Maatta; January 24th, 2012 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work. I loved the Max 15s Gestures. U really managed to catch poses. Keep up the good stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    45min self-portrait, while listening to http://www.livestream.com/danielsdan...b-1cdd756b0fda

The shadow at the neck is probably too harsh and the hair tone should be darker. The nose could be more defined as well as the hair shape. What do you think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Breaking gestures

Trying to break my patterns in gesture drawing. The first is done with my left hand (I'm right handed), The second is made with the mentality that each line is super important, and the third is made without looking at the paper while drawing. These are all done from real life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The above self-portrait, 45min
    The collarbones shadow is probably too harsh. The Nose and hair shape could be more defined, as well as the overall surface form. The hair tone cold be darker and reflected light cold be stated more accurately. Now the reflected light seems actually hap hazardous.

Done while listening to:
    http://www.livestream.com/danielsdan...b-1cdd756b0fda

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good evening.
    Nice to see another guy(?) trying to improve on "the way of art".
    I think you got the right idea what to do and I personally find your works with water colour(?) impressive.
    For me these are bloody difficult and they don´t nearly end at this level. So thumbs up from me, keep going and last but not least have fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Studies

Eye and nose studies from life. I wrote the text in the bottom right of the nose studies. It says: More angels and definition of form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Mcseemcher: Thanks. Gestures are one of my favorite things to draw :3

@Warforce17: Yep, Im a guy, 18 years old for still a couple of weeks. Actually the one with the blue background is acrylics, apart from the background itself >_<. The other life paintings are watercolors. Fun with art to you too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Studies and gestures

Hand and figure studies. Hands with a mirror and figures from pictures, 30sec and 2min.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pears

1,5h still lives in acrylics and digital painting. The digital one is done on photoshop only using the brush tool, and one layer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! Wow, you really have some amazing life drawings. Watercolors and gestures are kicking ass! So much life and action in them. Cant really help you with any crits, dont feel competent enough , just can say that its all looking great and to keep it up. Looking forward to more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice pears! Makes me hungry...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's a refreshing sketchbook if it makes any sense I enjoy your loose lines of your figures and hands. The gestures in #2 are very interesting, it's good to look at them.
    Nothing left but using my critic skills where it's best and where you aren't that strong: the self portrait. The lighting isn't fortunate, it would be better to have lit places on the face too. All the features are a bit off, not following the curvature of the head, having a bit different perspective from the rest, the usual stuff. I mostly criticize heads, it's hard to get these right.
    Oh and your digital pears are way too soft like a photo with the focus off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks + cast

shiNIN: Thank you for your great comment! Now that I look closer I do see the mistakes that you mentioned on my self-portrait. Thank you. If you wouldn't have commented I wouldn't have notices and couldn't try to focus more on getting the facial features right next time. I'll try to do better next time on the digital studies . You'r comment was great, It helps me grow and to navigate the path i walk on. Thank you

Warforce17: *offers a pear*

Blunderguffer: Brilliant and thank you! I'll keep up drawing, developing and having fun. Thanks mate :3

----

From today on I'm 19years old for about 365days .
    Yay!

Cast drawing, charcoal and something white the teacher writs with on the board infront of the class. The paper is toned pretty much middle gray. This one took me about 15hours, enjoy.

Ps, no charcoal used on the cast, only white - a personal challenge >:3.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hyb-kuume

Quick sketched my Friend Kuumehoro, who was visiting Kajaani. She is brilliant :3.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Comic

Hi everybody! Here is a short comic for you, only one panel, yay :3.

Ps. Once upon a time in a place not so far away there was a little boy called Ii. Ii liked to play a game called the floor is made of lava. Since the floor is lava and the boy eventually stepped on the floor, no matter how hard he tried not to.. His legs burned and he went to the shower to cool them of. The end+?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I just did what I usually do around here... I'm glad if I could help
    Happy birthday
    15 hours? You have patience!
    I like the one-panel comic. A lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy birthday and a good new drawing year.
    And to the 15 h work: Man, you have patience.

P.S
    We had no pears so I decided to eat an apple after I have failed drawing it. (Getting rid of the evidence)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the flow in your gestures, good studies so far too, the pears are looking good and I love them polar bears. Absalutely adorable.
    Anyway, promising start so keep up the good work!

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr - Etsy
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Still life

Naidy: Thank you so much! I'll do my best, and the same to you
    Warforce17: Thanks
    shiNIN: Thank you. I Tried some fast portrait drawings today and realized that I have soooooooo---ooooo much bad choices in my drawings x_X. Fun to gun down all the bad ones, one by one, and learn from the mistakes >:3. Keep it intense

- Heres a still life, bang

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Out of my comfort zoned posting

Yeeep, I'm so not comfortable drawing faces xD. They are so so difficult and challenging. I'm hopping straight out of my comfort zone so there are going to be a whole load of more faces/portraits, etc. Brilliant! I'm gonna do some terrible mistakes and try my best to learn from them. I draw to learn, and I like speed ;3.

Speed goes up and quality comes down. Eventually the quality will catch up to the speed, hopefully.

Here are some good examples of how to draw the face wrong. I'll learn, and do better eventually. Hih, This is fun, it's so challenging

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay for faces I kinda neglect them lately but in the beginning I always drew faces because they were the most interesting and easy part of the whole human body for me. I love criticize them the most

I told people zillion times before about the "one eye gap between eyes" rule I'm quite fond of. Even well drawn anime characters tend to follow it and well it's really something. The head turns but the gap keeps this one eye size for long and when it's totally not true anymore, we don't see the farther eye or not much of it.
    Faces are different of course, the proportions tend to change but faces usually looks bad when the gap between the eyes are much farther or close than one eye width. There are cases when the gap is smaller or bigger than that but don't overdo it. Except in extreme cases, caricatures are good examples, they have to exaggerate unique features, after all.
    One breaks this "rule" is oh so easily. I need to remind myself to it myself way too often

The second face has a too low mouth. It should be closer to the nose than the chin (1/3 and 2/3 are the artificial/ideal numbers but it can change. Thick lips and small chin makes this closer to 1/2-1/2 but I think it's extreme if it's closer to the chin. I rarely say never when I talk about faces though.

Your faces have some expressions, I mean, they aren't blank and vague, I like it. The features are kinda rough, poor ears, I'd draw the skull before adding hair...
    Eyes are very important, I'd do some eye studies if I were you, your eyes are a bit too ellipsoid at the moment.

I'm sorry if I'm too harsh on your admittedly-not-strongest-point portraits (they aren't bad though, and kind of quick for value studies I guess) but it's the way I function, I can't do below this level unless I totally keep silent.
    Don't worry, if you get much, much better, I'll find zillion much much smaller flaws My inner critic is great at it even if I can't draw heads very well myself. (And I plan to improve meanwhile too)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did my army time in Kajaani. ^^ Nice work, keep em coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

eyes, self,m&d

spraix Neat! You have nice studies in your gallery

shiNIN Strange, faces have always been pretty much my weakness. By default I love to draw really loose gestures and movement. That actually makes my figures look pretty much off, most of the times. A healthy mix between angles and organic lines would probably be best for communication and a clear read.

I tested out the "one eye between eyes" -rule, and played some with a camera and photoshop trying to learn some proportions of the face. I really have to try to think more about the skull while drawing.. Hmm, maybe I'll asks my school's teacher to lend me one for drawing practice.

You recommended eye studies so I did eye studies o7 :3.
    Ah, I just love your comments . Honestly they help me focus on my weak points that I might not notice, and I just love when people criticize my work. Too often people just say: It's a pretty picture, sort of, or something along those lines. Well, I sometimes fall into that category also, mostly when the artist whose works I'm looking at is more talented. Its hard to give constructive feedback, especially if you don't have the knowledge of how something should work or look (mini personal distress).

Heh, It is hard to incorporate the knowledge gained from studies into the larger picture. Development happens in time, and my head doesn't understand the concept of time x3.

Sooo, It is Brilliant to get constructive feedback :3. Please be as harsh as you wish, It only helps me grow as an artist D. I'll try to do the same as well as I can, and help others grow :3.

---
    -Eyestudies
    -Selfportraits (The four first ones were done before reading shiNIN's great comment.)
    -M&D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

selfcrit

Gah, did the same mistakes that shiNIN noticed on my earlier pieces on the most recent self-portrait. I just noticed these when playing around in photoshop. Well you live you learn and try not to stumble on the same mistakes too many times.

Things that I notice now (please add your own if you notice something too :3):
    - The lips are too low and too small
    - The ear is too far back
    - The head shape is a bit warped
    - There are probably so many more mistakes, but at my current level I'm unable to see them >_<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't spoil me There are much better crits in CA, more skilled ones, well heads are my strongest point as a critic I think, I know a thing or two about them and flaws jump to me, I can't help it even when I want.

Eye studies, you focus on the 3d nature of eyes, cool.
    The heads aren't so bad either, well I still don't like the eyes. It seems you tend to draw eyes short and high, eyes are usually wider and shallower.
    I like the two in profile view.
    You need to study head anatomy more and practice, you have other skills and put effort into it so I expect you to improve really quick.

{And now I need to stop neglect heads, I'm not sure I'm better than you... Not like we are comparable, you have artistic lines and I've read everything I could about drawing heads. And drew quite a lot of them but mostly from simple angles.}

Nice name, by the way Finnish words are very funny, I sang a Finnish song when I was in the choir back then.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Beeed

shiNIN Yeah, the eyes are off, again >_<. Well next time better :3. Heh, first time i got a compliment on my name that wasn't a: what you're full name is really richy sounding, well at least to finnish ears. Gah, my thoughts aren't running straight, Gotta get some more sleep.

Sketchbook pages:
    My loomis looks really crappy.. I really have to work on that too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wonder how I could create a thumbnail for this thread in the sketchbook section..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The thumbnail is the very first attachment for the very first post of your topic!
    I messed up mine back then; I attached zillion images I don't want to lose so my SB always will have that old c64 pic thumbnail. But I don't care and while I was wondering if I should do another sb when I get serious, I doubt I will do so now

Some Loomis figures has wrong proportions (short torso, too long thigh compared the shin), I don't want to talk about the heads, I'm in a hurry and I have nothing to say either, keep it up... But I kinda like the hands. Because they are better than the ones I do with maximal effort How do you draw them? How can I approach hands? They have so many joints, they are so scary and with reason, I can mess them so easily even when I REALLY try. I do my best for 30 mins and the hand is still a crap, I did that a lot. How can I break this curse? Just hard work? Do I need to draw simple objects? Or I should be loooose, it helps with hands too? Maybe you can give me a tip I'm kinda desperate.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4