The Vasari Corridor
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The Vasari Corridor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following

The Vasari Corridor

Just watched Andrew Graham-Dixon's documentary on 'Art in America' on BBC4, which was very interesting (three parts), and was reminded of a documentary he did on Georgio Vasari and the Medici's, where he visited 'one of the great secret art collections': The Vasari Corridor that runs through Florence over the Ponte Vecchio. Fascinating!:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,366 Times in 3,589 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Damn I miss playing snooker with him. That's a wonderful collection. Is there a catalogue of them?

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not that I know of. I'll do a bit of digging... Was he a pal of yours?

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "Vasari Corridor" would make a good band name.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aly Fell View Post
    Was he a pal of yours?
    We were members of the same snooker club. He was still working for the Independent at the time as was just about to embark on his TV career. He was also better than me at snooker, but we all had handicaps to even things out. Used to chat to him a lot, but I chatted to everyone. He's a really nice guy. I moved to the other side of London, so I haven't seen him in years.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He seems like a nice chap. I enjoy his enthusiastic approach to all art without particular bias. I get wearied of people dragging their own issues into art documentaries, and Mr Graham-Dixon does this much less than others.

On another note, I used to play snooker at a club in Manchester called The Rialto and was there late one night when Kirk Stevens and Alex Higgins came in and started playing each other for £50 notes. My friend and I had a pro match to watch all for ourselves. Higgins even tripped over and sat on my lap! I didn't realise then that he has a few, er, problems...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well the club that we attended had Ray Readon, Steve Davis, Stephen Henry and Ronnie O'Sullivan as members. Even saw Dean O'Kane and Cliff Thorburn. One of the owners was the instigator of the B&H tournament.

Knew someone who beat Higgins at an exhibition and he lost it completely, but he sure made snooker interesting to watch - his technique was appalling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    speaking of Vasari, i found this english translation of his "Lives of the Artists" online the other day. Dunno if its something that everyone has already seen, but i found it interesting. I only found it coz i was looking for info on Leonardo Da Vincis nephew (Pierino Da Vinci) after they talked about him on QI.

i have no Snooker related anecdotes however...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to strybjorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by strybjorn View Post
    speaking of Vasari, i found this english translation of his "Lives of the Artists" online the other day. Dunno if its something that everyone has already seen, but i found it interesting. I only found it coz i was looking for info on Leonardo Da Vincis nephew (Pierino Da Vinci) after they talked about him on QI.

i have no Snooker related anecdotes however...
    Thank you! And as for the latter part of your post: probably just as well.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    "Vasari Corridor" would make a good band name.
    I thought it was the sequel to a Fabula Architecture

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went on a guided tour last fall. The guide is geared towards tourists and what that means, essentially, is that the guide would stop at all the paintings with a historical significance connected to the Medici family, (mostly darkly brown, faded paintings) while we would walk hurriedly past the "painters paintings," of Velasquez, Krøyer, Zor and so on. Still, it was a good experience, though it feels like the whole corridor is a waste of some great paintings. It's rarely open to the public and the tours are terribly expensive.

Sketchbook
    Old Sketchbook
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.