Sketchbook: MrFrenik's Sketchbook - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: MrFrenik's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    continue: Thanks for checking out my SB, man. I was supposed to get around to a value study this week (I paint still life every saturday), but I got a little caught up with work. I'll definitely post some more though.

Worked some more on my commission today, fighting like crazy with this computer. I need a new one before it completely just takes a shit on me. Anyway, here's the update:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Working some more on this commission. I want this thing to be fairly realistic in quality, so it's going to take some time to complete. Worked some more on the figure and then tried to come up with a composition for it. I know that's backwards, but I'm still new to full compositions. Anyway, here it is:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick portrait of a friend painted last night. Couldn't sleep, so might as well paint, right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man,

Thanks for stopping by my SB and offering up some feedback. You asked for some yourself so here goes.
    It's been a while since my last post but I can definitely see improvement. The key is to stay disciplined with maintaining your studies and by the way, I like the material study with Chrome and metal balls. Good Stuff. You asked about vibrancy with color and to be honest, every painter has their own method but color theory is key. One tip is to not use black. It will instantly darken your image and flatten the whole thing out. If you have to darken a spot use a complimentary color or even monochromatic black but not black. Another thing you could do is set your palette up prior to beginning your painting and stick to only that. There are so many options with digital that it can sometimes be overwhelming and it muddies up the process. Try this website out here http://colorschemedesigner.com/ It is a great tool to help you figure out palette combinations and you can download the palette directly into photoshop! Last painting tip is to paint traditionally. A lot of people nowadays skip this step and go straight to digital but without the fundamentals that come from studying the real thing, your work will end up flat or gimicky. Rarely do you see people who have not studied traditional media paint something that does not look photoshopped if you catch my drift. If you have more questions on the subject, please feel free to ask.

One last note. I like your graphic design work. It is clean and straightforward and looks to serve your clients needs correctly. My only suggestions is that for your own personal brand, you may want to rethink using the character in your logo. That character will become your brand and people will always associate it with your work and who knows, in a few years or months you might not want that and will have to go ahead and rebrand yourself which can be time consuming etc etc. Just something to think about.

I hope that this was somewhat useful.

Cheers!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wheeljack18 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wheeljack18 Thanks a lot for such an in-depth reply, man! I really appreciate the comments and critiques.

Here's another portrait of a friend today. I played around with layer modes, soft-brushes and hard brushes, and textures in this. I want to develop some kind of method - not routine, necessarily - but a method which to gain efficiency and speed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work and good portraits. Keep it up man!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Klaustrophil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya MrFrenik,
    Good to see you're studies are going so well. This week has been busy with more physical rehab stuff as I had an injury flare up, but next week I'll be aiming to come up with a good study structure like yourself and keep to it.
    I can see you're making some great progress, keep it up bud!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to James Fitzgerald For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I really like your paintings and portraits. In fact, the portrait of your friend carry is my favourite piece of your sketchbook. However, I think your anatomy drawings are way to much toonylike. You should practise and observe more realism. Go on!
    Keep up your nice work.
    greetings
    klaus

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Klaustrophil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping past my sketchbook recently mate. It looks like your work is continuing to come along well, there has been definite improvement in the last couple of months. You mentioned that you're looking at working on your composition skills at the moment, a subject which I'm finding is a pretty tough nut to crack. Our mutual friend Wheeljack informed me that Andrew Loomis' book "Creative Illustration" was an invaluable resource for him and since I've been reading it I would whole heartedly agree. Sadly it's out of print at the moment but you can find it here for free. Give it a look and then come back to the last few pieces you've done and see if you can tinker with them to improve the composition.

If you're looking to develop a regular study pattern to keep improving I'd recommend having a look at this technique by Michael Bierek. It demands a reasonable amount of time but the regimented system is very helpful for trying to study a broad range of subjects dutifully.

Keep up the good work!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to David Keen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool portraits. And nice progress from old posts, keep it up)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Azzy For This Useful Post:

iven is offline Animator/ Eco-artist/ Caricaturist Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful, love the tatoo with star wars tatoo and the other
    one with a name on it. I really like your life drawing.

Sketchbook - . Showreal - . Commission me - .

*critique* advice* help full links, is appreciated*

18. The Following User Says Thank You to iven For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't been on in a while, but that doesn't mean that I haven't been busy. I've been working on structure, starting from the face up. Here are some of my sketchbook pages showing facial construction and my starting work with some portraits, trying to understand planes and correct lighting as well as good pencil technique. Still have so much more to do and learn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really liking those head construction studies! My biggest crit on those portraits from April is just that you need a much better handle on facial planes and how the features are sized, and you're clearly working on it. I will say a lot of them look a bit narrow, and be careful of the width of the head in profile - the head is about as wide as it is high from that angle; it's wider than you might think.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some good studies. My favorite is the page 5th from the bottom, in the bottom right corner. That one looks very natural. Personally faces are one of the funnest things to play with for me. I always when I draw a blank can start doodling out a face. It's fun because you can play with the exaggeration and proportions since.... well..... in real life there are all sorts of faces. I saw a guy at the movies that looked exactly like the old man from the movie UP. I was blown away. Was spot on.

Your going about it the right way though just study all the features, their proportions and relations. Then don't forget to apply the studies regularly with some life drawing, or such to sort of connect it easier with real life.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

iven is offline Animator/ Eco-artist/ Caricaturist Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I skipped through your stuff and I found something I seem to have overseen last time.
    I really like this logo design, and I would looove to see the steps you said you kinda wanted
    to post.
    I really like your sketches so you are freelancing, what are your programs.
    I am freelancing too in animation and what ever comes up4 me, did you check my website.
    I am sure you like it.

Since last time you where poping in I was going nuts, with sketching, maybe
    you show us your very sketchy side of your work, I love the work in progress
    posts when you see how every body starts differently.

Nice fanpage !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Where have you been over the last few months? The recent sketchbook pages are looking good, how much of them are from imagination vs observation? The distortion in them is cool but it does give them all a bit of a similar look. I hope you'll have some more time to hang out on here over the coming weeks. All the best mate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the replies, guys. David, I've been moving/getting situated with a new job so I've been scrambling around, really just trying to find time to work on stuff. But my new job does allow a lot for working, so hopefully I'll stop being so damn lazy and get to it soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your studies, keep them up have fun while doing them.
    I like your digital stuff,......I can't find the pacience to do digital.

Can't remember if you had some hands, but If I get to much from
    nudies I draw hands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, haven't been on in a long time, but that doesn't mean I haven't been studying. Everyday, in fact, so this will be a big update. Some of it's shit, some of it I actually like, but it's all studies. And since I feel like I've improved, that's all that counts to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I know Vilppu when I see it. (at least things like bending boxes are his exercises). Very nice lines on all the geometric studies and in general.

Pretty much everything from your recent posts is the right way to go. All sorts of good stuff.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    I know Vilppu when I see it.
    Nailed it. Vilppu's been my "mentor" for the past month or so. I owe him and Scott Robertson big hugs if I ever see either one of them in person. Thanks for checking out my SB and giving your support.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mo' stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work with those basic forms! Looks like Robertson and Vilppu are working great for you. Keep it up!

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Samszym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love those study pages! The boxes look really solid, and the gestures have a great flow to them. Your heads are still looking a bit distorted, but the general structure's definitely coming along nicely. =)

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello! I love your studies, but I think maybe it would be best for you to take it a step back and really focus on the basics--forms of the body and such, perhaps take a look at Loomis? Excited to see more from you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RissaKay View Post
    Hello! I love your studies, but I think maybe it would be best for you to take it a step back and really focus on the basics--forms of the body and such, perhaps take a look at Loomis? Excited to see more from you!
    Apparently I only looked at the first page when I replied--my bad!! I love those studies, keep 'em coming!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to RissaKay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those form studies like http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1352711741 look complicated :0 Maybe I should try it too

Great studies, missing some personal work though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just dickin' around in photoshop for a little while. Trying to get a better handle on sketching random ideas and understanding form with proper lighting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's great to see some new work! As always your studies of boxes and shapes are fantastic! You do a great job with those which might be an indicator to try and take some of the knowledge and channel it into some mech designs or illustrations with lots of buildings and perspective trickery. It'd be a shame not to implement your proficiency in this area into some finished work. You're figure sketches are looking good too. The ones in post #113 are especially successful with your lines following the contour of the form. Keep on going man, it's good to be back on CA and see you're active too! Are you thinking of going in any of the weekly challenges any time soon? I was thinking of having a crack at a character to have a break from all the complicated illustration stuff. All the best.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to David Keen For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 156