Beginning a drawing journal
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Beginning a drawing journal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Beginning a drawing journal

I recently joined 750words.com and have found that having this routine of writing at least 750 words of any thoughts every morning to be a fantastic idea. Not only it's good for capturing random thoughts and ideas otherwise lost in the shower, but it's also a great way to track back in time for reflection. To do this first thing in the morning is actually not that easy. I find I can churn out maybe 200 words without much effort but beyond that it requires focus and some effort to get to 750 words. It usually takes me 45-90 mins to complete.

I am inspired by this and would now like to do the same for drawing, but I don't know how to set the goal.

What would be the drawing equivalent of writing 750 words that can be achieved in roughly 45-90mins?
    The goal should be manageable i.e. not too easy or too overwhelming, but it should be challenging at the same time.
    I thought maybe I could draw the first 10 things that come to mind. Would that make a good goal? Or would it be better to do 10 drawings of one thing? Is 10 too many?

Any thoughts or ideas?
    For those who do daily sketches or maintain a regular routine, what do you guys do?

It would be nice to keep an 'open' goal so to speak, so I don't have to feel too limited or too structured that I have to come up with a curriculum per se.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been doing daily drawings for 2 years now, it helps if you set up a theme. Two years ago it was studies from animal anatomy books, last year was studies from Loomis and Posemaniacs and this year is just drawings from life. That way you can work on something consistently. Of course you can bend your theme a little, for drawings from life I did model drawins, still lifes and landscapes.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deerinheadlights For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's an interesting idea. I guess sticking with the same theme or a particular study for an extended period of time would certainly help improve skills in that particular area.
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been drawing daily since July-ish, and before I just drew whatever came to mind into my sketchbook. But recently I've been really pushing real-life studies and I can see marked improvement. Now I just alternate, for 750 words that would be about 6 pages of A4 paper for me, I would do 3 studies/real-life drawings and 3 sketches of sci-fi fantasy whatever.

An overall goal would be good though, I think you tend to have more success with improving if you only work at small things one at a time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Beh. I need to start doing that this season. First I just need a theme, which should be easy.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.