Krita 2.4 (Beta 3)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Krita 2.4 (Beta 3)

For those of you that use linux as a complete OS or those like me that have a duel boot with Windows 7 & Linux Mint 11 should really give Krita 2.4 a try.

It literally has an Alchemy brush engine and a mirror/pull function just like alchemy.
    It has a Painter style engine allowing color blending and mixing and papers/textures.
    It has Photoshop like functions allowing image stamps and custom brushes.
    It has a Mypaint style procedural brush engine allowing for brush texture experimentation.
    It has a Harmony style brush engine, with those cool soft webbed drawing lines.
    It has vector - pretty much everything (brushes, text, art)

Basically this program kicks ass. There are a few bugs, the only one I found so far is the share brush function (allowing users to share brushes among themselves) is not working at the moment, but everything else I've tried has worked nicely. A windows version is supposed to be coming soon, hopefully by the end of the year which is soon. Check out the review by David Revoy: Cool article about Krita

and more info about the program and known issues here

Krita 2.4 (Beta 3)

Krita 2.4 (Beta 3)

Krita 2.4 (Beta 3)
    Krita 2.4 (Beta 3)
    Krita 2.4 (Beta 3)
    Krita 2.4 (Beta 3)
    http://www.davidrevoy.com/data/image...davidrevoy.jpg
    Krita 2.4 (Beta 3)

Last edited by artmessiah; November 19th, 2011 at 12:57 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artmessiah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    this sounds interesting, i would like to try, is it available for download?

M

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MatejaPetkovic View Post
    this sounds interesting, i would like to try, is it available for download?

M
    Not for windows yet. The main moderator at the Krita.org forums says that a windows version has been compiled but won't be ready until around christmas to make sure all the bugs are worked out. If you run Linux you can get it by adding these three lines into your terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:neon/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install project-neon-base project-neon-calligra project-neon-calligra-dbg

or you can compile it yourself this way - steps

Scroll down to where it says "Applications to Compile". Krita will be the first app and just follow the steps - it's extra simple. If I figured it out anyone can trust me.

Last edited by artmessiah; November 20th, 2011 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds cool. I guess I should give it a try.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Judging from the screenshots I can already see this program has lots of powerful features that make it very close to Photoshop and Painter. I can't wait to try it out when windows version comes out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Farvus View Post
    Judging from the screenshots I can already see this program has lots of powerful features that make it very close to Photoshop and Painter. I can't wait to try it out when windows version comes out.
    I really like it. I've been playing with it the last couple of days on Linux. It had a few bugs, but once I brought them to the developers attention it got fixed quick. The windows version from what I understand will have lotz of potential bugs, but hopefully will get worked out as quick as on Linux. Here's a couple on 3 min sketches I did earlier to test 3 of the brush engines in Krita. The Alchemy engine and the pixel brush engine (standard stamp based engine) and mypaint engine.

Krita 2.4 (Beta 3)

Krita 2.4 (Beta 3)

Krita 2.4 (Beta 3)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to artmessiah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This looks really cool. Will check it out when I can get it on Windows...

I hope it will stay open source....I would gladly donate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bugs to me are not really the biggest issue beacause they can be eventually fixed. There is other thing that puts me off from majority open source digital painting programs and it's laggy performance. There is for example quite decent painting program called Artweaver but it's really hard to paint with it unless I have image resolution smaller than maybe 800x600 px and there is no more than two layers. It's the same with Gimp where I can only work on small image with small brushes. Otherwise I leave a line and wait a second till it appears on the screen. Painting illustration for print requires quite big resolutions and Photoshop seems to handle large files without any problem.

On the other hand there are few free lightweight programs which have amazing performance like openCanvas or small inking program I lately use called AzDrawing2.
    I hope Krita will belong to that group too .

Last edited by Farvus; December 1st, 2011 at 01:59 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bugs to me are not really the biggest issue beacause they can be eventually fixed. There is other thing that puts me off from majority open source digital painting programs and it's laggy performance. There is for example quite decent painting program called Artweaver but it's really hard to paint with it unless I have image resolution smaller than maybe 800x600 px and there is no more than two layers. It's the same with Gimp where I can only work on small image with small brushes. Otherwise I leave a line and wait a second till it appears on the screen. Painting illustration for print requires quite big resolutions and Photoshop seems to handle large files without any problem.

On the other hand there are few free lightweight programs which have amazing performance like openCanvas or small inking program I lately use called AzDrawing2.
    I hope Krita will belong to that group too .
    There isn't any lag in the brushes I use. There are a few processor intense brushes that only lag a little on really large brushes, but those are normally the experimental brushes and you get lag even in Photoshop with really large mixer bristle brushes. So far it's in the vein of the apps you mentioned as far as speed. Like you I'm waiting on a windows version. Although I do draw and play around with it on Linux, I miss Photoshop for certain post process things and no matter how hard I try, I just don't like GIMP. BTW thanks for getting me hip to AZDrawing, this looks promising too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Windows version available for download. I haven't downloaded it yet, but it can be found at http://krita.org

From what I read on their webpage the windows version will have some bugs due to some components updated on the linux side that hasn't been updated and ported on the windows side yet, but the developer said he used the windows version for an hour and a half with no visible problems. I guess it's still worth a look.

Edit - just tried and it works. It is a little buggy with the window resizing (it doesn't crash) just lags a bit. Had some initial problems with opening for the first time but since than it's worked fine, and there's a few minor bugs that don't necessarily hinder from painting, just minor annoyances. I think the next update should make this more stable, but right now it's ok. Just happy I can use my express keys on my cintiq now.

Last edited by artmessiah; December 21st, 2011 at 10:03 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artmessiah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried the program and it's nice. Looks very promising. Some thoughts.

- Brushes are slower than in Photoshop but fast enough to do some hi-res illustration especially when you start small and increase the resolution half way. The list of things you can do with these brushes is huge but at same time but it looks like somebody got obsessed with putting as many controls as possible. Maybe a bit too much (or just too cluttered). To be honest it made me realise that in some new open source digital painting programs I pay more attention to some good editing functionality beacuse that's more rare.

- I like the different color palettes. Really cool thing. Much better than in other programs.

- I like that for assigning keyboard shortcuts there are many combinations included together with Alt and Ctrl.

- Transforming selection was very slow (it almost completely stopped the program). I assume it's going to be fixed later. Same with panning the canvas.

- Vector shapes are hard to find and not intuitive to work with.

- The interface for the layers is not organized clearly and I don't see on which one I'm working but that's minor problem.

Despite minor things I got very positive impression. I'm looking forward to see better and more stable versions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm planning to switch from Photoshop to some other software in the next year and even if I won't use Krita for painting, it's still must have on hard drive. It has one important feature that you can't find anywhere else (and I looked at tons of programs for that) which is being able to save to Tiff file with 16-bit CMYK colors. I tested it out and even though some error messages popped when saving file, the actual image looks fine. Very close to 16-bit CMYK Tiff from Photoshop.

Last edited by Farvus; December 25th, 2011 at 10:37 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mhm... Let's see if I can wait for the next update. The program looks really interesting, hopefully the amount of features won't confuse me too much! =u=

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried the program and it's nice. Looks very promising. Some thoughts.

- Brushes are slower than in Photoshop but fast enough to do some hi-res illustration especially when you start small and increase the resolution half way. The list of things you can do with these brushes is huge but at same time but it looks like somebody got obsessed with putting as many controls as possible. Maybe a bit too much (or just too cluttered). To be honest it made me realise that in some new open source digital painting programs I pay more attention to some good editing functionality beacuse that's more rare.

- I like the different color palettes. Really cool thing. Much better than in other programs.

- I like that for assigning keyboard shortcuts there are many combinations included together with Alt and Ctrl.

- Transforming selection was very slow (it almost completely stopped the program). I assume it's going to be fixed later. Same with panning the canvas.

- Vector shapes are hard to find and not intuitive to work with.

- The interface for the layers is not organized clearly and I don't see on which one I'm working but that's minor problem.

Despite minor things I got very positive impression. I'm looking forward to see better and more stable versions.
    same feeling
    no consideration before 2.6

Last edited by ceason; June 6th, 2012 at 01:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love this program- I've in encountered a couple bugs too (the brush editor freezing EVERYTHING three times in a row for instance0 but it's still really cool... I just wish there were more tutorials and stuff *sigh*
    I plan to make a few as soon as I figure everything out.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.