Sketchbook: Blunder's Blund-o-rama - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blunderguffer, very good studies, keep it up. Your sketchbook is inspiring.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketches from a Baroque Christmas Concert

Hey folks!

@ shockowaffel - Thank you so very much for taking the time to point that out, it really is appreciated! You are very much correct, I ALWAYS start out with the head as it is now. Got a feeling this will be immensely useful, off to pixellovely after I've posted this to start practicing!

@ IrinaK - Very glad to hear that, thanks a ton! I'll do my best to try keeping it interesting

Alright!

This wednesday I was at a christmas concert with baroque music in an old church. It was really nice (and also pretty cozy), I brought my sketchbook and sat drawing people throughout the whole concert. Definitely one of my best if not the best drawing sessions of my life, was all up in the music and was just sketching away, it was great! Tried to capture some of the singers while singing but that was really hard, I think I did a better job capturing the people playing instruments. In the end I noticed I wasnt looking that much for likeness but more reacting to the music and feeling, way cool!
    I used a Sakura Micron 05 for all of them

Thanks for looking!

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey blunderguffer. loving your quick gesture drawings!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jon n For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hoi!

Glad you like em' Jon! Almost feel honored having you in here haha - your stuff is so great.

Alright!

First off is some more pages from my pocket sketchbook, pretty much all of em' are made while riding the tram. Started to trying to at least fool around with them a little. All made with a Sakura Micro 05

2nd is some more Light/Shadow practice. Got some masks from east asia lying around so figured I could use them for different light sources.

3rd is a Self Portrait, realised last week that I was pretty horrible at doing selfportraits in the mirror so I've been doing one each day as practice, this being the most recent one. Spent about 30-40 mins. Now that I preview the post I can see that I forgot putting out highlights in the eyes and what not, pretty sloppy rendering over all hehe. Features are a bit out of place and proportion, but at least I can see some improvement.

Realise the quality of the pictures is pretty shitty, dont got access to daylight in the weekdays unfortunately - gonna try to rearange lamps for some indirect lighting

Thanks for stopping by!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have a lot of great ink gestures! I especially like the fourth page in post 34. Your graphite work has some good qualities to it, too. Did you smudge your graphite in the last piece? Cause if you're looking for a somewhat silkier approach to graphite, I would suggest powdered graphite instead of smudging. It doesn't appear quite as stretched as smudging seems to. That's just my opinion though.

P.S. The amount of work you have in your earlier posts is ridiculous! Keep up the intensity!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lemming-clone- For This Useful Post:

BlightedArt is offline That annoying itch you just can't seem to scratch Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Heya, I'm keen to see you construct your drawings some more, and figure out the 3d shape of the face etc before going over it with details. It'll help you give more dimension to the work.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlightedArt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Portraits, perspective and composition

Evening folks!

@ lemming-clone- - Glad you like the latest inks, very much prefer them over pencil for that purpose, lots of fun! Nice spotted with the smudging, I sure did. Totally agree, it gets a kind of boring finish to it when its been smudged like that. Gonna look up powdered graphite, thanks for suggesting it! Also, thanks for the encouragement, I sure will!

@ BlightedArt - Well noted Sir! Very much appreciate the crit, you are correct. Think I'll go back to the basic shapes during this week and try to get a grasp on those and then apply it from there. Thanks a lot!

Okies!

1st is me trying out some layouts for the christmas gift I'm making for my brother. Figured I could start getting my head around composition a bit at the same time so been reading from the book Framed Ink. Very good so far.
    Gonna buy colored paper and then stencil em out, well at least thats the plan, so it'll be kinda choppy and rough.

2nd and 3rd is some observational perspective studies that I also turned into a draw through/figure out the planes practice. Lots of problems figuring out how to draw the "pussel-cube" in perspective, thinking I'll have to imagine it with its outer boundaries first and then move inwards.

4th is some more Selfportrait practice in the mirror. Spent most of the time in construction and then just did a quick render to get a feeling for the lighting condition (which was above a bit infront of me)
    5th is some Jack Hamm studies, not sure if these helped much -figured it could help seeing some reference points more easily but I dunno. The circle one was crazy frustrating hehe.

Also, if anyone stopping by got some tips on exercises for training on seeing planes/shapes I'd be more than happy.

Thanks for stopping by!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    G'day!

Been a busy week, puhah

After reading up on some more theory, checking out some sketchbooks here I realized that I have been studying the wrong way. I think I've been to incosistent, jumping back and forth between different fundamentals. After reading andres333, Aryeh and Philosiflo sketchbooks I am now changing strategy.
    First off is the basic shapes in perspective (bought perspective made easy, the art of perspective and vanishing point to work from), i'll then move on to values on em. Along with that I'll be continuing with timed poses from posemaniacs/pixellovely, studying anatomy from Michael Hamptons book (applying the basic shapes) and working from life as much as possible. I also feel the need for more personal stuff, so that I actually apply what I learn - something I need to figure out how to go about.

Alright, been researching quite a bit on how to tackle my studies, so not too much to show from the last couple of days but at least some quick sketches from my pocket sketchbook.
    1st is sketches from a classical music concert I went at this week, Gustavo Dudamel - pretty nice although it really isnt my taste. I tried to not get to focused on details and having the bigger picture in mind.
    2nd is more commuting people

Lots off work in front of me, all pumped!

Lav is offline Student Animationfilm Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking at your first page as well, it seems that you have a good work ehtic and seem to be improving nicely. Keep up the work is all I can say, combine anatomy studies with drawings from life and experiment with new materials and such

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Batbear!

A Merry Christmas to all of you!

Been a hectic week approaching Christmas but finally got some time off with lots of drawing scheduled for the hollidays.

Been at hard work with perspective studies and getting a grasp on the four basic shapes (cube, cone, sphere and cylinder) - can feel its paying off so far - all good!

Most of the previous week I've spent finishing my brothers christmas gift, BATBEAR (40x50 cm framed)! Used colored paper, cut it all out and glued it together. Something I'll probably never do again hehe, sooo time consuming. Also think I should have done the drafts more detailed cause I still had lots of problems to solve in the cut out phase which took lots of extra time.
    It all started with a picture of an Asian black bear and then the concept kinda evolved from there, looked at quite a few Batman comics for inspiration.

Thanks for looking!

Edit: Thanks for the kind words Lav. Will do, super motivated to keep on going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey again folks!

I haven't been active here for 10 months now, my aim is to change that. I've tried to keep my drawing up to some extent during the past year, although no real focused studies.

I'll start by posting some random stuff that I've got lying around ranging from jan 2012 - until present.

Name:  Diverse.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  143.7 KBName:  Diverse1.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  194.2 KBName:  Bridgman1.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  237.2 KBName:  Bridgman2.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  237.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchbook #2

Some more stuff from this year, this time from my pocket sketchbook. The absolute majority is from observation while commuting to work.

Name:  Skissbok #2.jpg
Size:  330.5 KBName:  Skissbok #21.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  331.6 KBName:  Skissbok #22.jpg
Size:  299.7 KBName:  Skissbok #23.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  316.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some quick alchemy scribbles and a Gil Scott drawing I did while listening to Gil Scott-Heron and Jamie XX, good stuff;

Name:  Diverse2.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  175.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Stuff!

Here's some pages from my 3rd pocket sketchbook, the majority is from observing people while commuting.

Name:  Skissbok #3 20121.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  346.2 KBName:  Skissbok #3 2012.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  357.2 KB

Music tip of the day: Nujabes - a japanese Dj/producer who passed away after a carcrash in 2010. I'd describe the style as jazzy hiphop, very relaxing. Been listening to his stuff daily since I discovered it a few weeks ago.

Enjoy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Selfportraits

Time for some more stuff

Been doing a 30 min portrait a day for 3 weeks now, the plan is to continue as long as I can.

Here's a few of em', starting with the first one:

Name:  #1.0.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  50.5 KBName:  #1.JPG
Views: 36
Size:  67.2 KBName:  #2.JPG
Views: 33
Size:  59.9 KBName:  #3.JPG
Views: 33
Size:  59.9 KBName:  #5.JPG
Views: 35
Size:  89.5 KBName:  #6.JPG
Views: 32
Size:  77.4 KB

I was pretty rusty in the beginning but it have started looking better and better

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more self portraits

Portraits #7-13

First time with "real" watercolor, not just pencils. Way hard! //// Hipster
    Name:  #7.JPG
Views: 30
Size:  49.6 KB Name:  #8.JPG
Size:  39.6 KB
    Dracula - got problems with the 3/4 view //// Ze goat - color pencils
    Name:  #10.JPG
Views: 29
Size:  64.1 KB Name:  #11.JPG
Views: 31
Size:  51.6 KB
    Strict //// The monkey - lead pencil
    Name:  #13.JPG
Views: 27
Size:  94.7 KB Name:  #14.JPG
Size:  47.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

mooar self portraits

Fountain pen - Peeper //// Markers - Classic Joker
    Name:  #16.JPG
Views: 25
Size:  118.0 KBName:  #17.JPG
Size:  82.8 KB

Watercolor - Shreks cousin //// Ink brush and fineliner - the block
    Name:  #18.JPG
Size:  72.4 KBName:  #20.JPG
Views: 32
Size:  114.3 KB

Watercolorpencil - Stale and out of place //// Ballpoint pens - Basic forms Yarr!
    Name:  #21.JPG
Size:  92.4 KBName:  #22.JPG
Size:  80.2 KB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1