Continuing education
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Continuing education

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Continuing education

Did anyone here take classes after graduating from university? Other than education discounts on certain products, is this even a good idea? I've been toying with the idea lately. I'm not sure how feasible it would be with the non-art job I currently have (40+ hours a week) but I suppose it's worth thinking about.

See my Sketchbook!!!!!!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I took classes for 10 years after graduating college, around a full time job. It's a good way to keep improving and keep your head in the art world around a non-art job. However, it can also be a trap- it's easy to stay a student forever and not make the jump to actually being an artist.

I wasn't satisfied with my painting skills leaving college so I felt I had no choice.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dose For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Similar experience to dose's. Took quite a few classes post degree as well as workshops which might be easier to schedule (but make sure they're with the right people). I started my painting study/career around a 60+ hour/week job, 3 hour commute (round trip) and three toddlers.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    phew
    guess i've been lucky. after i graduated i jumped right into the industry and haven't left yet. out here in LA there are quite a few drawing groups that get together, and most at some point have live models to draw. so i've done a lot of life drawing without having to take a class.
    i did do the massive black workshop in dallas... but thats about it.
    everything else i've learned either on the job, doing tutorials online, or by just diving in head first and figuring it out on my own.
    my suggestion is to not spend any money, just get at it in your free time.
    but if you feel that you need a class to get motivated, then do it. the important thing is to keep at it no matter what, never never never give up on your dreams. EVER.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDirtSyndicate For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.