Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thank you vijil, I wasn't aware that N-trig changed that. I have yet to see the Thinkpad tablet in the wild, so I was under the assumption that it had to same restrictions as the flyer. Sucks for Flyer users however. But on the thinkpad tablet, between the different note/art/sketching apps, do all of them have pressure? Or do only specific apps like Skethbook Pro, etc register pressure?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    @ darkmagistric

It is only specific apps. These apps all have pressure: Sketchbook Pro HD, Photoshop Touch, Quill, Notesmobile, Picsay Pro. There may be more, but I've only tested these.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmagistric View Post
    Thank you vijil, I wasn't aware that N-trig changed that. I have yet to see the Thinkpad tablet in the wild, so I was under the assumption that it had to same restrictions as the flyer. Sucks for Flyer users however. But on the thinkpad tablet, between the different note/art/sketching apps, do all of them have pressure? Or do only specific apps like Skethbook Pro, etc register pressure?
    I have a flyer with a leaked version of Honeycomb and the pen works everywhere. Some apps like Photoshop Touch won't work because the flyer has a lower screen resolution. But Sketchbook Pro is ace on the Flyer now.

Edit: It's also worth noting that Photoshop Touch does not have pressure sensitivity with either the HTC Jetstream or Flyer. It has something to do with how it was implemented I think, but it doesn't work on either device.

Last edited by munho; November 27th, 2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: added info

Thanks
    That's a shame munho...I was rather hoping the Jetstream would be fully functional as I do like it's design over the slab-like, squared off Lenovo. More so since HTC was really the first ones to bring back the whole idea of using a pen with these things yet their implementation was just horrible.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Penabled View Post
    That's a shame munho...I was rather hoping the Jetstream would be fully functional as I do like it's design over the slab-like, squared off Lenovo. More so since HTC was really the first ones to bring back the whole idea of using a pen with these things yet their implementation was just horrible.
    Let me clarify my statement, I don't think it's HTC's fault that PS Touch pressure sensitivity doesn't work, I think it's Adobe's, but I'm not certain. Pressure sensitivity works well in Sketchbook Pro and Quill.

HTC makes a mean device that's for sure and the Jetstream "should" be a beast of a system, but it's not. I believe it's crippled by the bloatware of AT&T, as well as a poor implementation of HTC's sense modification of Android Honeycomb.

I've actually been impressed with the N-trig digitizer. I think it works well. It doesn't work nearly as well as Wacom, but it's better than using a sausage finger As of yet, there really hasn't been any of these smaller slate devices (Android/iOS) with Wacom. I think the future is bright, but the present is still full of compromise.

I ended up returning the Jetstream because I couldn't justify the price for such a crippled device.

Thanks
    Hello! I'm eying a purchase of a moderately priced sketch-tablet-on-the-go and have been looking specifically at the Thinkpad Tablet. I did see that the HTC Flyer just got a Honeycomb update though, and if I remember correctly, that brings pressure sensitivity to it. The Flyer is cheaper as well, though it's 3 inches smaller. I had looked at low-end tablet pc's, but their battery life and thicker/heavier size, along with their higher price is sort of putting me off. I'm kind of going out of my head trying to figure out what to get. Anyone have any experiences with Thinkpad Tablet vs. HTC Flyer, or any other options? (I also saw the Jetstream, but it's pretty darn pricey, and it's through AT&T only, bleh.) Thanks!

Thanks
    I also forgot to ask about the HP Slate 500. those are pretty affordable as well.

Thanks

HTC FLYER

Quote Originally Posted by Featherbeard View Post
    Anyone have any experiences with Thinkpad Tablet vs. HTC Flyer, or any other options? (I also saw the Jetstream, but it's pretty darn pricey, and it's through AT&T only, bleh.) Thanks!
    I have a 16GB WiFi Flyer (Best Buy) and am very anxiously waiting for the Honeycomb upgrade. I will definitely post a review using SBP and probably Photoshop Touch when this happens. I really like the Flyer... great hardware, really lousy use of the stylus even while they bragged on its utility. The Note app is handy but the crayola colors and pens are an insult... no opacity, no mixing of colors, and very annoying and slow auto-saves (lessened with the addion of 32GB microSD).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Featherbeard View Post
    The Flyer is cheaper as well, though it's 3 inches smaller. I had looked at low-end tablet pc's, but their battery life and thicker/heavier size, along with their higher price is sort of putting me off. I'm kind of going out of my head trying to figure out what to get.
    Low-end tablet pc's are thicker/heavier no doubt, and the battery life won't get you away from an outlet for very long. But they might make up for it in savings. I picked up a Motion LE1600 off Ebay for less than $250, and that was with Win7 and Office 2010. Pair that with a 7" Nook Color (rooted, of course) and a copy of Sketchbook Mobile and you've got a pretty good sketch-on-the go, finish-at-home setup that's actually less than the Thinkpad Tablet.

Just sayin'...

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply! I ended up getting a very good deal on a 64gb HP Slate 500. I mostly went with it because of Windows 8 coming out soon, reading about how lovely it works on it, and I can use Artrage and Photoshop (admittedly not very well). I couldn't pass up the amazing ebay deal though on a fully warrantied refurb! I don't know how fast it is in comparison to the Flyer or the Lenovo, but it seems pretty zippy!

Thanks
    Fyi......The HP Slate 500 was the first tablet to employ N-trigs digitial pencil tech....and because of that, its also the worst. Photoshop is a mess on the Slate. CS3 is barley usable on it. CS4 & CS5 Forget it.

Art Rage and Sketchbook Pro will both run fine. the biggest issue you might have is the pen itself. Its not as comfortable to hold as a wacom pen (all metal), has no eraser, the hovering/tracking accuracy is pretty badly off (not so much an issue on cursorless Android Platforms), and the because of the construction of the pen tip..its loud. Constant clanking with a very unnerving glass on glass sound and feel.

And the thing about Windows 8....alot of us early adopters are concerned because the HP Slate's resolution is touted to not be supported in Windows 8. I have the developers build of Windows 8 installed on my Slate, and all though it works fairly well, the whole Metro element won't run at the default res. You have to bump up the res which distorts the screen. Not sure if Microsoft announced any changes or not to that, but last I heard, the Slate 500 was not going to be too windows 8 friendly.

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply! I'm having a hardware issue with the slate I purchased, and am probably going to return it. Do you think the Thinkpad Tablet would be a good alternative for a compact digital sketchpad?

Quote Originally Posted by darkmagistric View Post
    Fyi......The HP Slate 500 was the first tablet to employ N-trigs digitial pencil tech....and because of that, its also the worst. Photoshop is a mess on the Slate. CS3 is barley usable on it. CS4 & CS5 Forget it.

Art Rage and Sketchbook Pro will both run fine. the biggest issue you might have is the pen itself. Its not as comfortable to hold as a wacom pen (all metal), has no eraser, the hovering/tracking accuracy is pretty badly off (not so much an issue on cursorless Android Platforms), and the because of the construction of the pen tip..its loud. Constant clanking with a very unnerving glass on glass sound and feel.

And the thing about Windows 8....alot of us early adopters are concerned because the HP Slate's resolution is touted to not be supported in Windows 8. I have the developers build of Windows 8 installed on my Slate, and all though it works fairly well, the whole Metro element won't run at the default res. You have to bump up the res which distorts the screen. Not sure if Microsoft announced any changes or not to that, but last I heard, the Slate 500 was not going to be too windows 8 friendly.

Thanks
    Hi everyone. Just got one of these and I'm surprised at how useful it is as a Sketchbook replacement. Dida little review of it on my site.

http://surfacenormal.com/wp/?p=545

My only gripes are that it could use better palm rejection (I use a glove), and also a bit more processor speed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1