Sketchbook: Jarrad's Sketchbook - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kvetch: Thanks man. I feel like the design lacking pretty heavily and nothing pops on it. Your latest stuff is looking superb!! I must catch up!

working with pencils lately, here are a couple of pencil sketches. Trying out different ways of mark making.
    done with the ear cast. the newsprint is too shitty to deal with anymore. I'm moving up to watercolor paper!
    I also started a sculpture study of my head. It has been super fun and helpful. I'm going to try to do sculptures regularly!

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The ear cast turned out great! Have you ever looked at sculptris? It's free and basically does most of what Zbrush can do, even if it is a hungry bitch for computer resources. Pencil sketches are turning out good, your best rendering being the lip cast. You could push it even further by making closer observations about reflected lights and specular highlights in the forms. Keep it up, sir!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MrFrenik: Hey I haven't tried any Digi sculpting programs. I'm really liking doing with it clay so I'll probably stick with that. But In case I feel like not getting messy (doubt it ) one day I'll definitely check out sculptris! Your stuff is really coming along! I've been busy and should comment more in your book. I am definitely watching though!

a couple of head sketches in charcoal. I am drawing! I swear! Lots! Just don't have the time / don't want spend the time to upload all of the crap since it is mostly traditional and it isn't really much to look at anyway.
    I figure if I keep posting here and there I will keep this thread alive until I focus more on digital where I'll probably start uploading more again.. and by that time there will be more interesting things... I swear!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Getting envious of your pencil/charcoal skillz How did you do the squid faced dude in #211? The gradations are insanely subtle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is pretty awesome. Is that ear from a cast, or is it just rendered from your imagination?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kvetch: Thanks man! Just going slow and layering helps and im always thinking about how the forms are turning in space and how that equates to value chaanges!

thebestwes: Thanks dude! It is a plaster cast hanging on my wall... so.. not from imagination!

here are some thing from imagination however! The first two spheres was to see how well I can light from imagination as well as trying again different ways of mark making which would help me decide how I wanted to render each part of that silly owl suit giraffe man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have that same suit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    incredible shading dude, i should work on my pencil skills more lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mrfrenik: I hope you don't. It is kind of fucked up.. lol

Yemi775:Thanks man, but I think you should check DanielC: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...-matic-(03-14) out and Whit brachna: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ymposium-Apr13 .... enjoy!

a sketch on the bus ride to life drawing and some 30sec,1min,3min,5min life draws

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, about time we got some updates

The owl dude is really cool. Reminded me a bit of these:

http://www.mrhyde.fr/animation/40_Mr._NADELMAN/167_/
    http://www.mrhyde.fr/animation/32_Mr...COPOULOS/127_/

Thanks for the suggestions, you're totally right. Composition studies just got moved to the top of the agenda :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kvetch: Perhaps I'll just have to update more then! jeez! Those links gave me mild confusion. I think I understand. No prob. Thats what pals are for. we help each other get better!

here is a study of one of those Silence aliens from Dr. Who

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are all looking super solid. I'd say start sketching stuff from your head to see the pay off of all this studying I think you'd be more than pleasantly suprised

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DatJerome: Thanks H! this post is your you!

imagination party... and a sculpture i've started... well actually the guy who is screaming and the mohawk guy are from pictures.. not entirely imagination!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice alien sutdy :o The light/shadow feels really convincing, maybe cos of the blue fill on his left side. Your imagination is like some kind of surrealistic french nightmare. I like the pointing guy, he's a bit moebius-y. Did I mention that ear at the top of the page is awesome? That ear is awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kvetch: Thanks man. You are too kind. I feel as though I am many miles behind you and am desperately trying to catch up.

this is how i feel today.. fucked up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    terrifying lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ain't that the truth mr H.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice still life! cool digital studies as well. Nice to see you going straight for the hard round.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice update, the still life is amazing - how big is it? You're not falling behind, I guess I've been drawing about a year longer than you is all. There seems to a be a point where more and more stuff just makes sense, and you can connect all these little bits of information you've acquired but never really fully understood. I took a couple of weeks to do nothing but work through perspective books (D'Amelio perspective for architects and Gwen White, perspective for architects, artists, etc.), and afterwards so much stuff made more sense. Understanding how to measure along any perspective line, and putting everything in a sensible cone of vision makes such a difference.

Also I just got the dmc HD collection, so I won't be getting much work done for the next few months >.>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Datjerome: Thanks man! don't hesitate to crit my work when you see errors! That helps more than the fancy words do. Not that i don't appreciate the kind words, but.. y'know!

Kvetch: It is about 7 inches across and 5 inches high. and by about I mean exactly that. Yeah I get what you are saying. Often times I'm impatient and want to improve faster than I am currently. I've actually studied perspectve quite a bit. It was one of the first things I did study. I had become pretty obsessed with it until I knew how to figure out how to grid stuff, measure, station points, cone of vision and all of that jazz. I found that that carl dobsky DVD as well as the david chesla books quite literally leave no stone unturned! You keep on inspiring me to work harder and harder. Same goes for you with the feedback. more crits would be nice!

okay! So I was excited to go to figure drawing class tonight knowing that tonight's pose was going to be a 3 hour one. well.. what happened was that the model hadn't realized this and she wasn't able to do poses for that long so we ended up doing many smaller poses which I sketched during that time and one 50 minute pose at the end of the night. I took that opportunity attempt to paint her but it ended up turning into a crazy speed paint fest that i didn't finish. After I had mixed my colours, I had 25 minutes or so to paint it so it is a bit.... crazy.. that being said.. it was SOOOO FUN! oh oils!

also. some photoshop improv

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd be more than happy to help lol. Good job having the balls to use oils in a figure session. I haven't done that yet haha. One thing you might want to try is toning the canvas with a color before going into the painting. I see you're going about it the way Ron showed you however if you don't move fast enough you're left with dem white patches. It instantly solidifies the painting when you tone it and gives the colors something to work into as you go. However, you might just want to keep them as clean as possible so its up to you for me its always helped take the edge off the painting because I've made a ground to work into and it helps me get past the hill of "I can't change what i put down". Also maybe try doing some palette knife paintings. What I learned from them was huge. I instantly understood how much I was putting down and mixing color didn't seem like this weird ritual I had to do before I painted. Also the knife is a great way to get sharp edges and some neat lost ones when you scrape it across the teeth of the canvas. I'll shaddup now.

P.S.Nice digital guy its cool seeing you play with texture and edge quality. Also don't feel bad about how long its taking you. Its a journey so learn to smell the roses ^_^. You are absolutely smoking some of the younger artists in TAD this semester so don't get discouraged.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Making me wish I had some oils and canvas, man. My only crit would be to watch your perspective, since it's slightly off in your figure painting ( I know you were quite rushed on it though, so I'm sure that was tough), and you could push your values more. Other than that, keep up the solid studying.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THank you both for your feedback! This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about

tried some pen hatching today for the first time.. It was kind of crazy and super fun.
    Time to do s'more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, you asked for it

The oil figure is impressive, the colour relationships seem pretty solid. Her lower legs are too short. I think skin tones tend to get redder and more saturated in shadow, that combined with the bounce light would probably push the shadows receiving bounce light from the cloth really far into the reds.

The cross hatching looks fun, brings out the planes well. I think you need to look out a bit more for symmetry in prominent places like the cheekbone, brow ridge and jaw. If these are from ref it might be helpful to do a few head construction studies, then come back to these and re draw them to see how much you can learn from them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kvetch: Yes! I totally agree with everything you are saying! Your not going to like these wonky heads! tomorrow will be a bunch of constructions. Though I do put them lightly down when using pen, obviously I'm not being careful enough because everything feels shaky on them!

stuff. I should try harder not to just be lazy near the end of all of these. it reaaally shows

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, how are you? I hope that well. Great drawings, but be careful when you draw heads and watch your skull and neck.

Last edited by blu01; February 18th, 2013 at 02:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I smudged this one around quickly to try and fix up some symmetry. You're putting the nose off to one side of the center-line on a few of these, and generally making the forehead too wide and the chin very prominent.
    Keep 'em coming! Digging the still life, and there's something very cool about the coloured pen portrait. Is that blue, black & red on blue paper?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    blu01: I'm doing well! Thanks. I'll come by and check out what you have going on in your sb!

Kvetch: whoah thanks for the help! I am already aware of those breakdowns and "rules" of the head, but maybe I don't know them well enough and need reminding if I'm constantly fucking them up. I think the BIGGEST thing for me is not taking the time to set those things up in the first place, and when I do if I'm being stupid then i'll break the scaffolding that i've set up in the rendering. I still really appreciate you taking the time to show me the errors of my ways! It is blue and red bic pens on white paper. it looks better from a distance. lol.

here are some heads that actually (for the most part) been constructed. Something that I'm really trying to work on is putting more effort into the drawings/studies/all of it, and If I haven't, then start over and/or continue until it isn't shitty. It is going so-so currently.. Better than before, that's for sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice heads they're all a bit more solid and symmetrical than the previous batch. I know what you mean about forcing yourself to slow down. It's hard sometimes but it always makes a big difference. The thing I have trouble with is stopping after each mark and making sure it looks right. Sometimes it's like my brain switches off and I go on auto-pilot for ten minutes, then when I remind myself to check I've gone way off course.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats stunning improvement dude ! You're definitely not just copying an artwork but you're also studying it. I made a mistake when i began drawing to focus too much on the appearance of my study than on it's main purpose. I really like how your original pieces improve since your first post and you use new shapes in time ! Keep on drawing and painting you're doing it in a very proper way !

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5