Is 'tool mood' a noob thing?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Is 'tool mood' a noob thing?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,142
    Thanks
    778
    Thanked 489 Times in 311 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Is 'tool mood' a noob thing?

    I'm noticing every time I pick up a different drawing or painting tool, be it digital or traditional media, it puts me in a different 'mood' so to speak, that is reflected on the artwork... I grab a brush or a thicker drawing utensil (charcoal, conte, pstel etc) and I want to be very loose in the sketching and drawing style. I grab pencil or ink, and I gravitate towards a lot more tightness.

    Right now I'm working on breaking these tool dependent habits, because sometimes you do need to work loose with a pencil or tight with a brush etc, and my 'tool mood' seems so strong that If I don't watch it, I fall right into it.

    Like with painting, I can have a very nice and exact underdrawing, then I get carried away with being loose with the brush, and for a time forget to watch the underdrawing, the stroke tightness, and get everything out of shape and hairy. I seem to get very neurotic about the 'feel' of the tool I'm using.

    I noticed something similar during life drawing, especially gestures, when you have to do everything quickly.... with conte or thick charcoal, my gestures showed I was fighting with the media to stay in the prescribed format and size. With pencil and thinner charcoal, it was somewhat effortless, and gestures were much more fluid and 'gesture focused'.

    Sometimes it can drive me crazy when I see things I need to fix and want to fix right now, but they just take time and practice to refine.

    Who else is experiencing something similar thing? Is this more of a noob thing, and it goes away with experience, or no?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    1,143
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 397 Times in 272 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Same here, whenever I hold a crewdriver I feel like screwing, and when I switch to a saw blade, the mood automagically switches to sawing...

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eezacque@xs4all.nl For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Newburgh, NY
    Posts
    118
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 49 Times in 31 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I don't think that's a noob thing, I think its actually the way its supposed to be. A charcoal drawing is supposed to have a very different look and feel to it than a pencil drawing or a watercolor or what have you.

    I think what experience brings is the skill and knowledge to use the right medium where it works best

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to papageo For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Ilaekae's Avatar
    Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Southwestern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7,134
    Thanks
    8,227
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    This is actually quite normal (only my opinion) with just about everyone. The screwdriver/saw comment is actually NOT a snide comment--it's correct in context.

    Tools dictate the approach to some degree, and the fact that you immediately drop into "huge honkin' chalk" mode when you pick up a huge honkin' piece of chalk is almost a given, and indicates that you've developed an understanding of your media. Excluding the complete idiocy of attempting a 300-foot mural on rough plaster with ONLY an 0000 sable brush and ink (and even that CAN be done if you have no fuckin' life...) and other obvious examples, the automatic mental combination of tool/approach indicates maturity.

    The next step, if you wish to take it, is to attempt to break that natural inclination on purpose, just to see if it can be done without your ideas suffering. That's why they make 4-foot Sumi brushes that weigh as much as your arm, and gallon cans of artist's-quality acrylic paint. Drawings done in ink using a wallpaper brush AND a #4 Sable round are definitely harder to pull off, but if done well, they really beat the crap out of a drawing done only with the #4. To this day, I consider my hands dipped in ink/paint one of my most successful tools. Anything else becomes an extension to achieve an effect that my stubby digits can't achieve.

    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

    Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    JeffX99's Avatar
    JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    5,234
    Thanks
    3,512
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    papageo nailed it there. So nothing to add damnit. Except often, even when I pick up a saw, I still feel like screwing.

    What would Caravaggio do?
    _________________________

    Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  9. #6
    Ilaekae's Avatar
    Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Southwestern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7,134
    Thanks
    8,227
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Does it matter whether it's a saber or one of those huge reciprocating jobs, or is it true that size doesn't matter?

    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

    Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. #7
    JeffX99's Avatar
    JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    5,234
    Thanks
    3,512
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    Does it matter whether it's a saber or one of those huge reciprocating jobs, or is it true that size doesn't matter?
    It matters not Ilaekae. Jeweler's saw, Japanese saw, bandsaw...turns out it doesn't even have to be a saw.

    Last edited by JeffX99; November 16th, 2011 at 01:55 PM.
    What would Caravaggio do?
    _________________________

    Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  11. #8
    Ilaekae's Avatar
    Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Southwestern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7,134
    Thanks
    8,227
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    AaaaAAaaaahhhh...'kay...I'm gonna quit throwin' my old nail files out then...

    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

    Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,972
    Thanks
    1,331
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    This is why I carry a Swiss army knife in my pocket at all times.

    From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Bennett For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,142
    Thanks
    778
    Thanked 489 Times in 311 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque@xs4all.nl View Post
    Same here, whenever I hold a crewdriver I feel like screwing, and when I switch to a saw blade, the mood automagically switches to sawing...
    Well, damn, when you put it that way, it makes perfect sense!


    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    papageo nailed it there. So nothing to add damnit. Except often, even when I pick up a saw, I still feel like screwing.
    *diet coke snort*
    Dood, ya made my nowse huwt!


    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    This is actually quite normal (only my opinion) with just about everyone. The screwdriver/saw comment is actually NOT a snide comment--it's correct in context.
    Oh, I get it, totally. Sometimes you just need to change the order of magnitude a bit for things to become very common sense like obvious.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    Tools dictate the approach to some degree, and the fact that you immediately drop into "huge honkin' chalk" mode when you pick up a huge honkin' piece of chalk is almost a given, and indicates that you've developed an understanding of your media. Excluding the complete idiocy of attempting a 300-foot mural on rough plaster with ONLY an 0000 sable brush and ink (and even that CAN be done if you have no fuckin' life...) and other obvious examples, the automatic mental combination of tool/approach indicates maturity.
    Well, I wouldn't call it media maturity, because I definitely don't have that. I think I'm discovering that I have a fairly strong intuitive feel for the media... I do tend to be very touchy-feely, so I suppose that makes sense. I'm also noticing it's going to take a lot of practice and grooming, because my range of what I can get our of each tool, even thought it may be driven in the right general direction, is not very broad.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    The next step, if you wish to take it, is to attempt to break that natural inclination on purpose, just to see if it can be done without your ideas suffering. That's why they make 4-foot Sumi brushes that weigh as much as your arm, and gallon cans of artist's-quality acrylic paint. Drawings done in ink using a wallpaper brush AND a #4 Sable round are definitely harder to pull off, but if done well, they really beat the crap out of a drawing done only with the #4. To this day, I consider my hands dipped in ink/paint one of my most successful tools. Anything else becomes an extension to achieve an effect that my stubby digits can't achieve.
    You know, I think they may be making us do something to that effect in the painting class. Not to the extent you described, but I distinctly remember something about the teacher making us use bigger brushes then we would intuitively want to reach for. I didn't quite pick up why that is, but I'm listening and trying to do it. That's a part of what brought the whole train of thought into focus. There's probably a lot more to it, but so far, this is what is sinking in on my end. I'll have to ask teacher more about it on Monday ... to get his angle.


    I feel better now, I've always been awfully neurotic about my pens and pencils and things I draw and write with, ever since a little kid, and thought I was just being a hypersensitive OCD goofball.

    Last edited by Conniekat8; November 17th, 2011 at 05:38 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,142
    Thanks
    778
    Thanked 489 Times in 311 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    It matters not Ilaekae. Jeweler's saw, Japanese saw, bandsaw...turns out it doesn't even have to be a saw.
    See (no saw) screw....

    You guys are such.......




    Guys!

    Gotta lov'em

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Conniekat8 For This Useful Post:


Members who have read this thread: 1

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •