Sketchbook: A scribble a day keeps the Panshi awake - Page 4

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    awesome stuff man, every thing looking really good
    i dig a lot the characters

can you tell me where did you get those model references?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    That last one is really awesome man. Great personality. As a construction worker myself I know alot of guys just like this -- you nailed it.

Thanks guys, actually Aragah I found those on google, just type 'male catwalk' or 'female catwalk', 'beachwear', 'underwear' and such, you'll find what you need!

Shorinji: that's right, it seems this kind of guys is universal, you'll find them wherever you work

So here, I'm continuing on this idea of painting people as I remember them, this one is my friend Greg, a fellow artist and most sincere critic. A quiet guy who seems to keep it all inside, why in fact he's as witty as he's warmhearted.

Thanks for watching.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Panshi; January 13th, 2012 at 09:12 AM.

your creature design in the lst COW was really spot on man, can´t stop looking at that blue egg sack... the rendering is insane!

i have no clue why this thread is only at 4 stars but im gonna try to correct that momentarily. 5 star stuff bro! really nice, from roughs to polished pieces, there is something for everyone in here!

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks NickyBeats, you rock!

So here I'm continuing this series on painting people how I remember them. This here is Jérôme, my oldest friend. As kids we were poor students, often sleeping on our desks when we weren't laughing at immature things or pranking people, so just usual kids. Jérôme now works in a bank, and the idea of him taking care of other people's money is somewhat disturbing, although finance-related world crisis now make much more sense to me.

And here is my last work on this week's EoW, I just added a few details but nothing special, since I spent most of today's time on the portrait.

Thanks for watching,

Arthur.

Congrats on the IDW win!!

Live life, Live love, Love life, then die -- SaiVix

I would really love some honest critiques and improvements suggestions

Renewed Study - I'm drawing again!!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=133377

Thanks, SaiVix, lately I'm working on a series of card illustrations but I can't publish them until the client agrees, so I've got nothing new to show

Keep it up,

Panshi

Loving the portraits !! dammmmn!

Hi guys,

I'm back from a long posting break, a lot of dust here!

Here are two portraits painted yestedray night and right now, from existing pictures, it was about time to get back to training. I'm basically trying to improve everything, from color approach to smoother and more natural effects. I used a few canvas textured brushes for the smoking man, but I finally find the strokes on the asian girl more natural.

Thanks for watching,

Arthur.

Here is some more,

Thanks for watching

Thanks for the inspiration here. Great stuff. I'm starting to get (back) into my studies. I was wondering if you could answer a question: do you feel like all the studies and speed paints make you subconsciously better and/or faster when you're painting, or do you have to make a conscious effort to recall what you've learned. I'm guessing / hoping it's the former, but I just wondered what you thought...

It all depends on your current level. A beginner will find help in chain-copying anatomy reference as a way of building his/her intimacy with shapes, but the more you gain experience, the more your practice will require clever choices from you. My teacher told me that there are three steps in an artist's development, and that each of them progressively requires a more alert attitude:

1 How to paint
    2 What to paint
    3 Why painting ??

From a general point of view, consciousness is present at every stage of practice, since it's your being conscious of certain flaws in your art that triggers your desire to practice, and will keep you alert of your progression as you keep practicing.
    Consciousness of a lack of style, consciousness of porous edges, muddy values, consciousness of better artists whose technical ability might actually be within reach, provided you do this or that.
    Staying conscious throughout your practice will keep you aware of your own weak and strong points, help you situate your level in general, and suggest to you possible paths of further improvement.

As you practice, provided that you chose good models to copy, you will accumulate a lot of technical reflexes from the better works you copy. e.g. portraits: a more subtle sense of texture, a sharper combination of ambiant lights and flesh tones, a few tricks to highlight your portrait. However, those technical reflexes aren't yours, initially: they were orchestrated by the mind of the artist you are copying. Hence, if you accumulate works without feeding back on them, without paying attention to your strokes, without analyzing, as you paint, what causes the main aesthetical features you are trying to recreate, your practice will unfortunately be bound to short or mid term memory. If you stop doing this for three months, and then start a portrait from scratch, without reference or model, these acquired reflexes will have disappeared. At best, they will show up in partial, clumsy hints here and there.

So, when starting a practice program, I would suggest to you not to view it as a self-inflicted regime of restless push ups, hoping that in the end, whatever flaw you may think you have will disappear without you having to do any other effort than just sitting and wearing out the tip of your pen, while your eyes wander on your model. This will just frustrate the hell out of you! Take your time, don't do it as a bunch, but try to define objectives for each piece you make. Past a certain level, 10 portraits chosen for specific characteristics, and approached with focus and awareness to recreate their very beauty will help you more than chain-copying random stuff.

It's all about what flaws you think you have right now, what you chose to copy, and how you chose to do it. So you see, consciousness.

Hey Thanks for the well thought out and articulated reply. Much appreciated and assimilating... Now...

Cleveland

Panish! really good work here. Love your studies and illustrations!

Man you really are nailing the portraits! I like the last two the best. Although I had to brush the cobwebs aside to see them.

Loving those portraits. Keep'em coming!

nice portraits! great colors

"IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, TRY, TRY AGAIN." - Teachers Manual -

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein -

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I've been hired by a comic book and video game studio in Bangkok, and since then I haven't had time to dedicate to the old sketchbook. I'm still adapting to sleeping 5 hours a night, chain producing stuff I wouldn't have painted normally, and digging standard techniques in production sketching and design. I somehow managed to do something for fun yestedray night, an illustration for a novel featuring humans genetically designed for specific tasks, in a 1984 like world. Hope you guys like it,

Thanks for watching,

Arthur.

Still rocking it Panshi !

Congratulations on the job! Hopefully you'll still find time every now and then to throw us some bread crumbs.

Suuuch siick stuff mang. Your designs are so hawt. I was actually taken aback when i got to the warrior princess. That crazy ass Egyptian sword is so cool, the fallout type guys are killing it too, thinking maybe I should do some catwalk studies

Hi guys, I haven't posted anything for a long while, so here is a rough I did today.

It's going to be an illustration of King Arthur's step-sister and arch-nemesis, the witch Morgane Le Fey. Le Fey comes from the French "La Fée", which means "the fairy": Morgane used to be a water fairy who became a woman, according to certain versions of the story. She kept and then increased her powers as she became a woman, and ploted her whole life against her famous sibling. I imagined her ruling swamps and dead waters, as a symbol of her past nature now corrupted.

This is originally designed for an android game, or so I understood. I will crop the final illustration to make sure the face is clear, as shown below, but still want to have fun and finish the whole picture, which as a better compo anyway.

Thanks for watching,

All the best.

Panshi.

Your sketchbook is so awesome and amazing i absolutely love it man! specially the last few paintings, i also notice that because you're drawing your friends from your mind you can notice that you're exaggerating features of their faces which are most prominent to you, i find that very interesting, psychological sorta i hope to see more from you!

Thanks for the comment IsaacEs

Here is another illustration that I did for the same job, it comes in two stages - regular/evolved. I drew it without reference, which kinda shows in certain parts, but it was pure fun, especially on the back muscles. I love to spend time on details, such as barbarian patterns on the gear, once the worst is past.

Thanks for watching.

Hi guys,

Here is today's work on Morgana, I tweaked her pose and made her summon water from the swamps. I added a few more elements and worked on the background and the general composition to make it more interesting. Here is also a concept of a fantasy soldier, or maybe a palace guard, that I did a couple months ago, and that I'd forgot to post here.

Thanks for watching,

All the best!

Awesome stuff !
    You're really good at paintinf/drawing people.
    Your materials also look really great.
    Definetely keep it up.

Thanks for the comment Shockowaffel!

Here is the final touch on Morgana, I had to do two versions like the Bandit, one regular, one evolved, for the purpose of the game.

Thanks for watching,

All the best.

Good stuff! The Morgana one really looks pro.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.