Life drawing
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Life drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Life drawing

Hiya everyone!

I've recently been taking life drawing classes, and I was wondering if you guys could critique my stuff. I'd post it all directly into the thread, but I already have all of it set up on my flickr account and I've deleted the photos from my phone. Please click here for my life drawing sketches and such!

I'm also working on a portfolio for getting into university next year, and what I've done so far can be found here. I'd really appreciate any and all input, because criticism is a beautiful thing.

Thank you.

Attached Images Attached Images  

my sketchbook
    I upload to Flickr more than I do to my sketchbook.
    You can go there by clicking here.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think you should keep practicing, put more effort into what you are doing and you will get somewhere... It would be nice to do some longer study, not just sketches with a few lines and not much more. They are important, especially gesture studies but a skull anatomy study requires more care and love I think
    I see you use some Bridgman book. I personally use several sources, every book is different and people too. Sometimes you tumble upon an artist's tutorial and instantly learn something about the topic you have drawn for years...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    One of your biggest weaknesses in these pieces is your lack of a 3-D sense. Most of your stuff is very flat, even when it should be foreshortened, and shading/colouring doesn't really show a good understanding of the form that's being rendered. More work with these sorts of forms would do you a world of good, and learning to apply that to your pieces will go a long way.

Changing up your styles of gesture will help too. On the shorter poses (two minutes or less, say), try not lifting the pencil off the page, or doing it all in as few lines as possible, or constructing the figure out of boxes, or using your wrong hand. It can help a lot.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by shiNIN View Post
    I think you should keep practicing, put more effort into what you are doing and you will get somewhere... It would be nice to do some longer study, not just sketches with a few lines and not much more. They are important, especially gesture studies but a skull anatomy study requires more care and love I think
    I see you use some Bridgman book. I personally use several sources, every book is different and people too. Sometimes you tumble upon an artist's tutorial and instantly learn something about the topic you have drawn for years...
    Well I'm hoping to get a couple more anatomy books once I have a little bit more money - it's in my amazon basket! I'm mostly using Bridgeman at the moment, but I do have some Vilppu things as well... I was thinking of using a different sketchbook for the Bridgeman and Vilppu studies though. What do you think?

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just my opinion, but trying to run before you have learnt to walk is not a good idea.

Forget the complicated form of humans for now and get plenty of mileage in rendering those basic forms that are in the link Nezumi Works provided. After you have got a good grasp of basic form , do some still life, after a good grasp of still life, get yourself a copy of Figure Drawing Design and Invention by Michael Hampton and get back to Life Drawing Class

Learning to see

"...the ideas are what matter most" Doug Chiang

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't say give up on humans, just add a lot more foundation work along with your humans. After all, if your goal is to draw people well, you're not going to get there by not drawing people. Anatomy study, basic shape study and life drawing go hand in hand, and as you do them think about how one applies to the other.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think its reasonable to say you are not going to get good at drawing humans unless you are good at rendering basic shapes considering human form is just a load of basic shapes with dints with bumps.

You only have to look around forum and you can see loads have skipped or skimmed through THE BASICS of Drawing.

Last edited by Charlie D; November 13th, 2011 at 07:20 PM.
    Learning to see

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezumi Works View Post
    One of your biggest weaknesses in these pieces is your lack of a 3-D sense. Most of your stuff is very flat, even when it should be foreshortened, and shading/colouring doesn't really show a good understanding of the form that's being rendered. More work with these sorts of forms would do you a world of good, and learning to apply that to your pieces will go a long way.

Changing up your styles of gesture will help too. On the shorter poses (two minutes or less, say), try not lifting the pencil off the page, or doing it all in as few lines as possible, or constructing the figure out of boxes, or using your wrong hand. It can help a lot.
    How would you suggest I do studies like that, though? I don't have any 3D software and my tablet pen is on the fritz!

Yes, I've been working on my gestures a little bit more... I'm watching TV and quickly sketching down gestures, though I know that I need a lot of work in that area.

Thanks for your help!

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Charlie D

Hey, my name is Charlie too! Yeah, I see what you mean - though I feel uncomfortable with just stopping my anatomy studies and my people studies. After all, I do have a life drawing class to attend to that I'm paying for - it'd be a waste to just stop! I understand where you're coming from, though, and I'm going to look into more basic things. I have been trying to do some more, but I'm a bit confused in where to start...

@ Nezumi Works

Yeah, I'd feel a lot better if I were working on all of the above rather than stripping down my work with people.

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by whatpants View Post
    How would you suggest I do studies like that, though? I don't have any 3D software and my tablet pen is on the fritz!

Thanks for your help!
    It's not about the 3d software, just understanding and processing that everything you see can be broken down into basic 3-Dimensional shapes - Cubes/Rectangular Boxes, Wedges, Cylinders, Pyramids, Cones, Spheres. Everything can be 'constructed' or refined.

Try taking an every day object, such as a cell phone or a camera, bottle of soda - anything, just make sure it's simple at first. Try to analyze it and see what basic shapes it's made up of. This is one of the first assignments we had in Basic Drawing last year - We had to make a still life and analyze the basic constructive shapes.

Here's a good process. I traced over a photo of a digital camera. If you're not comfortable or are having trouble constructing on your own at first, don't be afraid to trace photos of things in order to analyze them. There's no shame in it! You're doing it to learn. (Others may disagree - it helped me!)

Step 1.
    Name:  Stage1AnalyzingShapes.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  26.5 KB

Step 2.
    Name:  Stage2RefiningPass.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  48.3 KB

"Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My DeviantArt Profile: http://dyspezzia.deviantart.com/
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.pezzworks.com

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pezz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Charlie D

it'd be a waste to just stop.

Definitely. so keep going. In between get looking around your home for cubes, spheres, cylinders and cone shapes. Observe/ analyse and draw. Then repeat.

Learning to see

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie D View Post
    Definitely. so keep going. In between get looking around your home for cubes, spheres, cylinders and cone shapes. Observe/ analyse and draw. Then repeat.
    For the rest of your life.

"Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My Portfolio:

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pezz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pezz View Post
    It's not about the 3d software, just understanding and processing that everything you see can be broken down into basic 3-Dimensional shapes - Cubes/Rectangular Boxes, Wedges, Cylinders, Pyramids, Cones, Spheres. Everything can be 'constructed' or refined.

Try taking an every day object, such as a cell phone or a camera, bottle of soda - anything, just make sure it's simple at first. Try to analyze it and see what basic shapes it's made up of. This is one of the first assignments we had in Basic Drawing last year - We had to make a still life and analyze the basic constructive shapes.

Here's a good process. I traced over a photo of a digital camera. If you're not comfortable or are having trouble constructing on your own at first, don't be afraid to trace photos of things in order to analyze them. There's no shame in it! You're doing it to learn. (Others may disagree - it helped me!)

Step 1.
    Name:  Stage1AnalyzingShapes.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  26.5 KB

Step 2.
    Name:  Stage2RefiningPass.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  48.3 KB
    Oh okay! This was really helpful, thank you! So I can just take anything in my room and try to find a simpler way to draw it, with cubes and rectangles and such? Sort of like Cezanne's way of picturing things, right?

I think this will help me a lot. Thank you so much for your examples and your time. ♥

my sketchbook

22. The Following User Says Thank You to whatpants For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Charlie_D

Okay, sounds like solid advice! I've started already and it's actually quite fun. Thank you for your help!

@ Pezz

It's a mantra to live by!

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh okay! This was really helpful, thank you! So I can just take anything in my room and try to find a simpler way to draw it, with cubes and rectangles and such? Sort of like Cezanne's way of picturing things, right?

I think this will help me a lot. Thank you so much for your examples and your time. ♥
    No problem! Be sure to start a thread in the Sketchbook section and upload your progress from time to time. I'll keep an eye on ya

My Portfolio:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pezz View Post
    No problem! Be sure to start a thread in the Sketchbook section and upload your progress from time to time. I'll keep an eye on ya
    I have a sketchbook in my signature, but I need to remember to update it! I'll have to make sure you have something worthwhile to look at ;D

at the moment i'm mostly using flickr for convenience's sake, though

my sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.