Compromises
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Compromises

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Compromises

Hello! I wasn't sure where to post this; first-timer and all that. I am in need of some advice. I'm an undergraduate student who would like to do concept art in the future. I know someone who is trying to start a greeting card company and wants me to do the artwork for the cards. She insists that she likes my work, but she sends it to someone else to be modified in photoshop. I have tried to ask her to let me know of any changes she wants me to make to the images but she wont. She seems to want a different style than what I like to do, I don't like the subject matter she asks me to draw, heck, I don't even like greeting cards.

Is compromising your style and your feelings about your artwork to make a client happy just a normal part of the job? Am I going to be getting a lot of this at other jobs in the future? Because I am not liking this at all and I don't know if I should just deal with it or back away now.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Is compromising your style and your feelings about your artwork to make a client happy just a normal part of the job?
    Yep.

Am I going to be getting a lot of this at other jobs in the future?
    Yep.

That said: unless she's paying you a lot of money, focus on doing the kind of work you want to do. Especially if you're still a student.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When you are getting paid by someone else to make stuff, then you do what they want you to do.

If you have a pressing need to be true to some "artistic vision" or whatever, then do that on your own dime and test the "fine art" market as a independant artist.

As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MephistoLV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 774 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, but keep in mind that as a freelancer, you do have the power to turn down jobs that don't interest you. If you don't like doing greeting cards (and you don't need the money), politely inform them that it's not your area of expertise. And if you have a bad experience with an art director who can't seem to communicate their needs to you (like this acquaintance you're currently working with), you can choose not to take work from them in the future. It sounds like your frustration right now is centered around the fact that you're not interested in the type of work she has you doing, and she's not very easy to work with.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rinrin,

You have a great question. I think it is also safe to say that an individual hired you to do a job because you possess a certain amount of skill. While I agree that the client is paying you and you should strive to meet their goals, there is also nothing wrong with reminding the client that they hired you to be an artist and they need to let you be that artist.

Finding a way to say that to the client in a constructive and positive way is the trick!

On a side note... I don't know that there is anything wrong with altering your style... even if only for a single job. Who knows, it may even broaden your current style by challenging and pushing you in areas you had not thought of previously.

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.

- Pablo Picasso

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with dierat. There's always going to be compromise unless you work for yourself. But if your specialty is dark art and you dislike cute, going to work for the Fwuffy Puppy Calendar Company is not going to be the most fulfilling job ever. Of course if you're desperate for cash, neither is McDonald's so take a good careful look at all of your options.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback, guys, I appreciate it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To gain freelance experience and professional attitude, I would do the job either way. As a personal artistic venture, no I won't do it.

Even as an experience professional artist, we don't always get paid to do what we want.There is always a compromise. Please remember when this industry seems all glamorous from outside, at the end of the day, its a job, and a very tough one.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.