Anyone know any books or website that teach how to draw sci-fi aircraft/spaceships ?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Anyone know any books or website that teach how to draw sci-fi aircraft/spaceships ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Anyone know any books or website that teach how to draw sci-fi aircraft/spaceships ?

I want design my own concept aircraft so bad but didn't do a good job.
    Does anyone know any book or website that teaches how to draw sci-fi or concept aircraft/spaceships in detailed, step-by-step explanation ?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I believe "Mechanika" at least touches on the subject - I think he has at least one chapter on transportation

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Check the stickies in this forum.

The reason there aren't many "detailed step by step" on subjects also have to do with you learning core skills, ie your foundations. Basically, if you don't know those skills it's going to be hard to come up with designs on your own with your visual library. You're just going to be a copy of someone who DID take the time for research.

People for example, had to come up with the idea of a "Dragon" by combining things with what existed in their visual library already. They may have seen a dog, crocodile or other creature and combined aspects and added their own ideas. Likely Dinosaur bones. That's what makes mythological things great. It was 3 parts observation, 1/4 imagination when it came to drawing.

So if you're drawing spaceships you look at what exists now. You can of course look at the flying saucers in old movies too, but why did they come up with the idea? What objects were around that created that myth?

Doing research on what exists and building your visual library I think is an extreme skill people overlook these days. They all too quickly run for step by step guides, and don't think about what foundational skills and observations were necessary to combine what we imagine and what is real. I think people also gloss over this information a lot too. They get the book because it has cool designs, but ignore the text that tells these people "When I came up with these designs, I spent weeks beforehand looking at planes, helicopters and went looking at other designs before I came up with my own"

Last edited by Arshes Nei; November 8th, 2011 at 05:27 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.