P.O.W,! Challenge 55 (A-B) Zombies and Vikings...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: P.O.W,! Challenge 55 (A-B) Zombies and Vikings...

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following

P.O.W,! Challenge 55 (A-B) Zombies and Vikings...

What I been getting is whine whine zombies zombies zombies, so...bite me. If nothing comes in on this one from you dunderheads, I'll never ask your opinions on anything again and we'll do challenges involving Sailor Moon and Teddy Bears from now on...

Sorry for being two days late, but my phone connection went out for periods as they replaced some damaged lines here in the boonies between Sunday and late this afternoon.

THERE HAVE BEEN MAJOR CHANGES MADE, SO READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY!

All future POW! Challenges will roughly follow the format below, unless otherwise noted for a special event.

SPECIAL NOTE: For the next two challenges only, we are dropping the "C" challenge because of the two-month holiday period, which really makes things difficult for everybody. We'll go back to normal in January.

In all cases, you can interpret the art any way you wish, and the more creatively, the better. Any media. B&W or Color, unless we specifically point out otherwise.

Topic 55A: ZOMBIES...before 1850

Alright...you got Zombies...but with a hitch...to prevent a bunch of bazookas/rayguns blowing apart great-great-uncle Ned trying to eat your brains, the zombies must be in a historical era that predates 1850. Got that? No walking dead AFTER 1850. You can have cave people, ancient Egyptian or Viking zombies, even braining eating medieval nuns, but no zombie fights AFTER 1850, which means no nukes, light sabers or AK-47s. Hell, I don't care if your zombies are even human...I mean, zombie wombats fighting deported British criminals in Australia could be sooooo kewl...heeheehee.

Topic 55B: Norse Mythology...

This is our second attempt at various world mythologies and legends. This time, let's try to keep to the northern European and North Atlantic areas, with things like the Vikings and such. We're trying to depict the authentic beliefs and legends of the era/people in comic format, so this means it's research time, Kiddies...

Either or Both-Deadline: Sunday, December 4, 2011, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.

You can present your solution as a minimum of THREE to any practical maximum you wish which adhere to standard comic specs as below...and, yes, you can have the first or last (or both) as a splash page if you want--just don't get TOO extreme on page counts. REMEMBER: You don't have to have a complete comic to qualify for polling--if you realize you're running out of time, try to get at least THREE pages finished by the deadline. That's all you need to qualify for polling..

Standard Comic Book Size:

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)

.................................................. ......................................

AND A SPECIAL CHALLENGE FOR ALL YOU WOULD-BE DESIGNERS/COMIC ARTISTS OUT THERE...(extended until we think we enough to go to poll with.)

WE NEED A BANNER/MASTHEAD/"LOGO" (whatever you wanna call it. It's our brand.) We'll decide the winner by poll, and if we decide we need more entries before polling, we will extend the deadline for this one for as long as it takes. This piece of art is forever, after all... or till last Tuesday--whichever comes last.

The Rules:

• This is Top-Grade Art, so do your best. No rough sketches, WIPs, or jelly sandwiches will go to polling.

• Size should be approximately 1000 pixels WIDE by 400 to 600 pixels HIGH.

• The banner should present a clear idea of what P.O.W.! is all about--SEQUENTIAL PANEL (and other types of) COMICS-- and all that goes into producing them. Should be multi-color, and strong and clear in its message, which is "WE DO COMIX HERE!"

• Unlike the other Challenges (COW, CHOW, TEEN, etc.), we don't need an area for specs or "rules" for each individual challenge, because we're too diverse in approach to tie down to one set of specs.

• What we DO need is the wording, "P.O.W.!" and "PANELS OF THE WEEK CHALLENGE." Nothing else is necessary, unless you want to continue the tradition of the tagline, "Created & Published by the @&$#!! Members of Conceptarts.Org Forums."

.................................................. .............................

Good luck.

A little note here for all of you who have supported the P.O.W.! Challenges...thankyewthankyewthankyew...

Just a reminder--those of you who didn't get a chance to finish exactly the way you wanted to, or ran into deadline problems, remember there is a sticky section where you can post your stuff when you do get it up to speed.

Last edited by Ilaekae; November 8th, 2011 at 02:22 AM.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

donalfall is offline The Cat's Deputy (POW! Moderator)
    donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's a lot of room to mix the two topics up here as well. If they don't respond to this challenge, I think the pandering is definitely lost on the CA Crowd. How about Little Lulu - themed challenges into infinity?

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also worth noting that you can get Popular Tales from the Norse for free for your Kindle, Kindle Smart Phone or Desktop App. That's 0 dollars and 0 cents folks - the research starts there.

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Too bad I don't have an e-book reader. Reading books on a computer screen kinda sucks

Anyway. Nice topic. I think I'll try to make something for this. Started sketching on a character... The idea is to have a girl sneak onboard a viking ship disguised as a boy so she can join the raids... Though I haven't really figured out anything more about the story than that.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tobbA it's true that reading ebooks on screen can be wearing after a bit, but I still recommend the download - the stories are super-short, you can breeze through a few pages and get all the details of each myth. It's easier than getting the details off wikipedia anyhow. Your Viking Girl is looking nice. She might need a fake beard to pull off her disguise though!

arttourney that is a beautiful start, heralding a triumphant return! Good to see you gracing these pages again. Thud the Re-Slayer!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    seem's how i have two unwanted but definite places too move.... and we have zombies in the topic... fuck it! but i'll have too weasel out of the old pencil ink on paper.(not feeling it) although i would like too practice the traditional comic making methods more.....

i've really been putting off the logo... sorry i'll come with some wips shortly just don't be mad.....(i don't why you would be either.)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Tobba That's a nice drawing It's always fascinated me, those stories of girls dressing as boys to sneak onto naval ships, I even nearly joined the navy myself until I saw the training video and reality sank in! It ain't no picnic! lol Anyway, nice start I agree with Donal about fake facial hair, or she could just cover herself with mud to look like a scroat that no-one wants to touch (that's what I would do anyway)

Arttorney Great start I'm definitely intrueged (or is it intreuged? meh!).

j.s Glad you found somewhere to move to

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Logo WIPS for opening page. Something seems to be wrong with Attachment Manager so I've posted them in an unorthodox fashion.

http://attachments.conceptart.org/fo...1&d=1320847686

http://attachments.conceptart.org/fo...1&d=1320847686

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    For anyone who's looking for info about vikings this site I found (from a few seconds on google ) has loads of info on everything from clothing and weapons to history and daily life.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am so busy these days I will have no choice but to work on this daily, showing incremental progress. Large blocks of time will probably not be available.

Daily work is probably the best way to go about these things anyway.

Next up, figuring out how to work the "animals" and "plants" content in my Vue 9 Complete for that initial splash title page. (I'll show a screen shot of the working views in the program so you can see I am not using a photo for the background.)

Is it going to offend anyone if Thud is from the naked and hairy Homo habilis days?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the ref tobba!
    good too see you Charles

21. The Following User Says Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arttorney View Post
    Is it going to offend anyone if Thud is from the naked and hairy Homo habilis days?
    I think I'll have to insist on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some work toward the first page. I'll probably create Thud last since I am still figuring out what file type to import to Vue that doesn't lose the texture (hair).
    Name:  thud screenshot.png
Views: 803
Size:  54.1 KB
    Name:  Thud pg1 wip.png
Views: 810
Size:  213.6 KB
    You think Thud should live in 2001 Space Oddy land or something more mountainous and ice age looking? I got a leopard I can stick in here. Should Thud have a leopard sidekick?

Last edited by arttorney; November 10th, 2011 at 08:26 AM.

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I just read The Years of Rice and Salt again recently, so I want to march the zombies across Hungary in the years of the Mongol Invasion. I just can't decide if the Mongols should get to Europe to find it full of zombies, or if the Europeans should find themselves invaded by Mongol zombies?.!?....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm pretty busy so had to skip last pow, but here i am again!

went for the viking theme, but i'll make some really short, silent story to stand again all these typical viking stories/comics...still nice start tobbA

for everyone I really can recommend the Edda, it's a collection of icelandic story and poems, just a great place for inspiration!

donalfall: Both of the two scenarios would be great, although an army of Zombies on some undead Horses overrunning Hungary would be awsome!!

Here is my first page.
    Name:  page1kl.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  199.8 KB

"Alle Erinnerung ist Gegenwart"
    -Novalis-
    My Blog

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ex-machina For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    See that's what I said, ex-machina, but the people here IRL keep saying to go the other route. I like the idea of zombie Mongols. I think I've decided, cheers man. I really, really like the texture of your backgrounds in what you've posted - feels earthy, real.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sudsy's roughs...

We'll see what the future holds for how far I can into this project... however, here's my start. I'm going to have to pick a year, hopefully Colorado was a territory before 1850 (I should know that since I grew up there and took CO history...), and of course research some period correct clothing to dress up the zombies, but other than I think I've got my idea nailed.

Very much another tongue in cheek parody of a zombie apocalypse story. Hopefully its in the vain of "Return of the Living Dead" and "Shawn of the Dead"... Humorous in a dark way but very much in the spirit of zombie lore.

Michael "Sudsy" Sutherland

CA sketchbook

Deviant Art Galleries:
    Sudsy Sutherland

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sudsy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found a free audiobook page for the Popular Tales from the Norse that Donalfal mentioned:
    http://librivox.org/popular-tales-fr...w-dasent-0909/

32. The Following User Says Thank You to GRLILLO-GROD! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New angle and sky.
    http://attachments.conceptart.org/fo...1&d=1321106318
    Here is Thud without his club, wang, and hair.
    Name:  Thud pg1 wip3.png
Views: 695
Size:  436.1 KB

Last edited by arttorney; November 12th, 2011 at 11:19 AM.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice find on the audiobook version, GRLILLO-GROD!.

I'm going to go for the Mongol Invaders being the zombies, or at least the creators of zombies. The other way around is too similar to the book I just read. Sketching like crazy at work now.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  2011k13-04-logofinal.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  112.8 KB

This is the logo to the top of the page.

seems that my posts are moderated, and show up? Tank!

vd

Last edited by GRLILLO-GROD!; November 13th, 2011 at 11:09 AM.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GRLILLO-GROD! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thud's merry band of friends threatened by a zombie.
    http://attachments.conceptart.org/fo...1&d=1321240221

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Flaming Zombie- once a popular drink down at Trader Vic's, it has now taken on a more sinister flavor. (I want to make the flames a little more transparent.) I figured out how to change out the texture of a Makehuman model using Art of Illusion here. To give this guy a burned exterior I mapped alligator juniper bark onto him. Putting fur onto those other models is possible, now, because I have previously designed a fur texture in another Art of Illusion piece and I know how to copy textures between objects. I am still not sure if I will be able to import these textures into my Vue scene, but as a fall back position I can export the Vue Scene and composite everything in Blender.

Name:  flame zombie wip 2.png
Views: 698
Size:  110.4 KB
    Name:  flame zombie wip3.png
Views: 661
Size:  92.7 KB

Last edited by arttorney; November 14th, 2011 at 09:07 AM.

41. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i went to a trader vic's once....hustled in like a sales shark and left a fat bloated shrimp!
    i really like your new look useing 3d.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

vikings

first sketches

main character sketches/ sketching the first panels

wip title : Historical comics 1923 presents - Vikings, where are they nowadays?

45. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to R3u5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trying to create something completely on my ipad, but it's a bit of a bear working with some of the limitations of the platform. I started on one page and then realized I needed one before as well, but I'm new to making comics, so maybe I can figure out how to do it properly.

EDIT...Hmm...sorry, not sure how to make the pictures any smaller.

Last edited by Codexier; November 20th, 2011 at 07:12 AM.

47. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Codexier For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess I need to tone down the intensity of the fur a little bit, but here is the merry band with the first pass at their hairy texture.
    Name:  fur wip.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  116.3 KB
    I'd say this is a little more like it.
    Name:  fur wip.png
Views: 624
Size:  169.3 KB
    Here are three poses of Thud himself.
    Name:  fur wip thud.png
Views: 526
Size:  104.7 KB

Last edited by arttorney; November 21st, 2011 at 12:15 AM.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all! and Yay zombies! I just had to try to do this, comics is such a fun medium, roughed a couple of pages before bed last nite , hope i can finish this on time :]

51. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mongoosedog For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some amazing stuff rolling in here you guys. I've been checking in at work so i can't log in, but I can read the forum alright.

R3u5 those sketches look like so much fun! The guy on the old style bike cracks me up.

Codexier all on the iPad? Wow, that's really good man. Looking forward to seeing more. Ilaekae is looking for 3 pages this time, but if you get a second page to that quality in I'll slip you into the poll.

arttorney the hairiest version of your merry band is funniest, but the less hairy versions are looking amazing. Pretty great.

mongoosedog Hello and welcome! Your rough pages are looking great. Keep them coming.

I've got 5 pages roughed now. I think that's the limit for me. Luckily I still have over 10 days left, but I still have to hit the ink hard the next few days.

53. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1