P.O.W,! Challenge 55 (A-B) Zombies and Vikings... - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: P.O.W,! Challenge 55 (A-B) Zombies and Vikings...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some work on my anatomy. All I have to make is Thud's club and a blood spray and I'll be ready to composite up my panels. Edit: and I need to make a comet, but that should be easy.
    Name:  112211 wip2.png
Views: 419
Size:  217.9 KB

Last edited by arttorney; November 22nd, 2011 at 09:43 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the 3rd page roughs and the first 3 pages of the story inked, i did do another roughed page but if i include it , then i'd have to do a lot more pages to finish the story , so these 3 pages are a finished "super short prologue", if i have time i will do more ...

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mongoosedog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm thrilled to see such a great turnout of old timers and new folks. This POW will be a smash.

I count 12 days left but, let's face it, it's only about ten days for people in the States because of Thanksgiving holiday. Time for the home stretch.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I saw the options for this one I couldn't stay away Zombies...gotta love 'em. Don't you think cavemen and zombies would sound a bit similar? I think so which made me come up with "Walking Dead Cavemen". First page is done and the second and last are roughed out so should be able to make it in time.

Attached Images Attached Images  

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aRKaycreative For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll try and get the WIPs up tonight. I used the Artrage app on my iPad to create them. I had an 11 hour flight from South Africa recently and couldn't think of any better way to spend those hours
    Codexier; I'll be interested to see how it looks all finished up on the iPad.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to aRKaycreative For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Starting to put things together now.
    Name:  page 1 wip 112711.png
Views: 402
Size:  702.1 KB
    and working on the club.
    Name:  club wip 1.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  8.5 KB
    The comet.
    Name:  comet wip.png
Views: 400
Size:  38.7 KB
    Another scene of flame zombie.
    Name:  zombie #2.png
Views: 417
Size:  85.5 KB

Last edited by arttorney; November 28th, 2011 at 10:29 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all,
    Well, I'm kind of new to CA. I've been lurking a while. I actually think this is my first post! Anyway, I think I'll join this challenge. I'm definitely new to POW but I've loved comics for a long time now and have always wanted to be a comic artist. I think this challenge sounds exciting, as I love researching history. And the Viking era interests me especially. And while I love zombies (my husband and I collect zombie movies), I think I'll be doing the Norse option. I've already got a couple of pages done. Let me know what you think!
    (sorry pics are a bit big, and I'm still new to posting in forums! :/ )

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to clitherland82 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mongoosedog: I like how you inked those pages! I find it hard to use big chunks of black like that put you pull it off nicely.

arttorney: not really used to seing this type of 3Dgraphics in comics but looking forward to seeing how you will put it all together.

clitherland82: Those panels are just freaking awesome. Love the way the panels tell the storyline.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aRKaycreative For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey!
    some coloring of the first panel...done with color-pencils, pretty hard work.
    I might be able to actually finish my comic, but only if there woudn't be such a thing as life... :-D
    i'll try to sketch out or do the pencil work for the whole story, but first i have to do some re-thinking about the story, because there isn't a story, but rather a situation.
    R3u5: WOW! absolutly in love with your sketches!! looking forward to see your entry!
    mongoosedog: nice black and white style!
    GRLILLO-GROD!: very neat Title design! I'm hoping to see more of your stuff!
    clitherland82: first of all welcome! nice start! the face of the viking is great, but the valkyre is not quite on the same level...
    Name:  Page1colorkl.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  518.9 KB

"Alle Erinnerung ist Gegenwart"
    -Novalis-
    My Blog

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ex-machina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sudsy's update...

Deadline cometh! Zombie Apocalypse 1850!

Had to update some items for historical accuracy, namely the fact that Colorado was part of four territories in 1850... So I randomly selected New Mexico Territory (and might be wrong there too...).

All work is currently in the GIMP on Mac...

Its awesome to see how everyone else is coming along as well! Keep it up folks!

Michael "Sudsy" Sutherland

CA sketchbook

Deviant Art Galleries:
    Sudsy Sutherland

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sudsy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by clitherland82 View Post
    Hi all,
    Well, I'm kind of new to CA. I've been lurking a while. I actually think this is my first post! Anyway, I think I'll join this challenge. I'm definitely new to POW but I've loved comics for a long time now and have always wanted to be a comic artist. I think this challenge sounds exciting, as I love researching history. And the Viking era interests me especially. And while I love zombies (my husband and I collect zombie movies), I think I'll be doing the Norse option. I've already got a couple of pages done. Let me know what you think!
    (sorry pics are a bit big, and I'm still new to posting in forums! :/ )
    Well, welcome aboard! Lots of stuff you can learn by diving in and just doing here! I've been in off and on, and most of what I've learned came from diving in here (often times starting off very badly...). Your work here has got me hooked on what comes next! Good pacing, and good story hook!

CA sketchbook

Deviant Art Galleries:
    Sudsy Sutherland

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sudsy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aRKaycreative: Thanks so much for the kind comments. Glad you like it so far. I like your concept. That's so unique! I can't wait to see the rest.

ex-machina: Thank you so very much, especially for the suggestion. It's nice to get an outside opinion on what I need to work on. That landscape is beautiful. Is that colored pencil?

sudsy: Thanks! I definitely look forward to learning a thing or two from the people here. And I should have more to post very soon. Your WIPs look like they're coming along. Can't wait to see the finished product.

"An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one."
    Charles Horton Cooley
    http://hana-hyou.deviantart.com/
    http://artofcml.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

25. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Second page done, one to go...seems like I could actually finish this one Just realized you probably can't read the "translations" from cavemenish but my hope was that the story would kind of tell itself without them as well.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aRKaycreative For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Sticking my neck out, waiting for brains to be eaten...

...and hopefully being a motivating influence to everyone else to join me in getting the Challenge complete! Three days left! I've got my four pages completed! Done 100% digitally from the start with the GIMP on my Mac.

If nothing else, I'm hoping this comic shows vast improvement over my previous efforts from about two years ago! Feels good to be done...

CA sketchbook

Deviant Art Galleries:
    Sudsy Sutherland

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sudsy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    little update/ long way to go short time to get there/ pg A2 big and wish i using thicker paper but happier with resulting far so ink...exiting stuff u guys doing good (-:

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GRLILLO-GROD! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sudsy; Great idea with the grizzly, original! The pages looks good and the first panel really caught my eye, very nicely done! Only critique would be the repetition of eyes popping out on several characters. Maybe vary the pain a bit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GRLILLO-GROD!; that layout of the panels and the framing is excellent! Are you going to put more color to it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finals. I don't have any time for it this weekend.
    Name:  page 1 final.png
Views: 301
Size:  728.2 KB
    Name:  page 2.png
Views: 303
Size:  628.5 KB
    Name:  page 3.png
Views: 310
Size:  592.5 KB

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, here are my finals. I ended up with 10 pages. Hope that is a feasible amount and not too much. Thanks to those who gave me feedback and I hope you all enjoy! This was fun for my first challenge. (And yeeeaaahh, sorry it's so long, since they are the full sized pictures).

"An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one."
    Charles Horton Cooley
    http://hana-hyou.deviantart.com/
    http://artofcml.com

37. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to clitherland82 For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You guys are really coming through on this one! Does anyone need a bit of time to finish the minimum for polling? (D' the two-page IPad(?) one is fine going to poll with two pages. Even attempting it deserves recognition...)

I had some scheduling problems here more wind damage (not bad) and having to bury my oldest cat last Sunday after 10 days of illness. Any one who has had multiple cats knows what it's like for 4-5 days afterwards--they all hang on you like YOU'RE going away, too.

The team effort we had planned will go on, but the scheduling over the double holiday is still causing me trouble because of "back-and-forth" communications between participants. I think what we're going to do is on Sunday, announce the team challenge and ask people for suggestions on how exctly they would like to handle the teams (who does what) because there's at least 5 or 6 ways to do it. I'll be explaining the ways, and ask if anyone has suggestions for topics. I'll explain the timing then.

Oh, and I still have my masthead to finish, so I'll get that in...somehow...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will be editing/updating this post to add pages

Page 1, unedited scan

Page 2, some color

Page 3, some (temp) color

I doubt it is actually readable. It's more like a bunch of sketches telling a story I have in my head and it's thought and drawn pretty much panel by panel.
    There are panels i want to draw ( and are already roughly sketched in my sketchbook ) and the story points to them.

Thank you all for your feedbacks and
    @GRILLO-GROD - The cover actually builds my expectation towards a book of illustrated history of Norse Mythology, quite effective, Sir.
    @Clitherland - Lovely art, simple and direct. It uses the art more than the words and the story is flowlessly told. Beautiful
    @klortho - hahahaha,so funny and.. realistic.. wtf.?!? It's very clean an professional.

Last edited by R3u5; December 7th, 2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: +1page

41. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to R3u5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

43. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to klortho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you guys rock. Really impressive turnout here.
    [/b] mongoose dog[/b] really nice job working the action graphical parts of your panels literally into the framing of your panels. good job scripting it out too. Ex-Machina would love to see some more! A whopping 10 pager, clitherland?!? Nice job, the whole thing feels very lyrical and poetic. and [b]Klortho?[b/] damn that is so slick - lots of panels with multiple figures. very impressive. good going artorney, I really dig the woody skin texture, burning imposition, and the climactic bludgeoning scene. Props for showing the uncopromised full frontal nudity too

FML.
    i'm not gonna be able to get my comic done in time for polling tonight, was hoping to gank some time back from Thee Man on long work shifts over the past couple days but instead i got steamrolled by a deteriorating situation at my work. But at least i didn't get Rick-rolled? It's been happening like that with several of my important projects lately and it really frustrates me. I had a big nice stretch of time surrounding the american holiday and didn't get as much done as i'd hope. at this point in my creative career i should be better at time management but alas, beaten by a deadline again. so irritated with my level of discipline. i'll on finish up this mother up and posting it in the non-polling comics category within the next couple days. i'll definitely get in on the next activity too, next time i will push harder.

Self-Critique: Workflow challenges. On my research brain-storming, concepting, and script development allocations i spent waaaay too much of my time, probably over 60%??? i'm trying to work in a more minimal brushed ink style and finding my footing there (as my tendency normally is to delineate the living shit out of whatever i'm working on) cost me dearly. Pencilling page roughs is something that reasonably i could expect myself to be able to do, without distractions in an hour or two. Finallizing and correcting the roughs, formally pencilling so to speak is the biggest time drain, figure 5-7 hours on that. Inking should probably allow another 3-4 hours to really get it right... scanning and finalizing things probably another 8 for the entire project.
    </rant> gg

45. The Following User Says Thank You to GRLILLO-GROD! For This Useful Post:

donalfall is offline The Cat's Deputy (POW! Moderator)
    donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh shit you guys are *bringing* it this time around. I'm just about finished with mine and I've only been quiet the last few days cos I am *dying* with some kind of coldy-flu disease. My Galway Drink/Draw group hosted the Cork Drink/Draw group earlier in the week and they used germ warfare on us. I am somewhat incapacitated (I also managed to spill water on pg 1 & 2 and some of my medicinal Dr. Pepper all over pg4 just cos my co-ordination is shot to pieces).

Ilaekae sorry to hear about your cat. We also had a dog-related tragedy here in the last while that made for tough going for a few days. I'm in total agreement though - 2 pages of iPad comics is a feat!

Sudsy ZOMBIE GRIZ! Man, I lol'ed. I love when Bears are the threat, I don't know why I always find that appealling.

arttourney Love it - it's everything you promised and more. The page layout on pg 2 is the best. I love the curving, arcing shape the intersections make in the middle of the page.

clitherland82 10 pages! Where have you been all of our lives! Lovely pages, nice art style - the way you drew them suits the historical/mythical feeling of the story. Great job.

R3u5 Holy Moly dude! This is such great cartooning! please please please get some more in. The Second tier on the first page - "and a cappuccino for your breakfast" - that panel leaps out at me. Great acting in the tired guy and what the hell is going on in Switzerland?

klortho A demon called Romero? If only they had the advantage of pop culture, they could have seen how that was going to end. Love every panel of this, "Carpe Cerebrum!"

GRLILLO-GROD! Shame to hear you're stuck for time. I've been looking forward to seeing the end result since you posted that shot of the page earlier. The layout of your text, with the chimney forming the I in Bird was killer. Like the old Eisner Spirit riffs.

Never fear, I'll scan my stuff over the next 24 hours or so and put the poll up. It's going to be fierce competition this time you guys! I am super interested to see what the Cat has planned for this team challenge!

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

47. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty much final, just have to add the borders, and possibly text as well if I have time. First panel of the week entry :]

"A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]

49. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to The Pariano For This Useful Post:

donalfall is offline The Cat's Deputy (POW! Moderator)
    donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Pariano daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn son. That is awesome.

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ilaekae- sorry to hear about your cat. Their lives are just too short.

I love to see the range of styles when a lot of different people enter. This is how we can learn from one another. Thank you everyone for entering. I have to make time today to go through and read all this panel by panel. Right now I just have to make do with a scrolling gestalt effect.

I hope you can finish three ArKay. It looks like a wee extension might be on the table if you need it.

R3u5- it looks like you have at least three pages of information jammed into these two. Storyboard style can work around here if you ever want to try it that way.

I hope you can make it ex-machina.

What? No drawings, J.S.?

Last edited by arttorney; December 4th, 2011 at 10:49 AM.

52. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the nick of time...

54. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aRKaycreative For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Never ever...
    I definitly won't be able to finish, colored pencils are nice, but very slow...
    As always, 'next time for sure'. BTW i'm absolutly in for teamwork next challenge!
    Here's my unfinished first page:
    I do have some sketches of the following page but - nevermind.
    But one last thing: You guys rock! it will be terrible to choose one for a winner! You all did a great job!
    Name:  Page1kl.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  266.5 KB

"Alle Erinnerung ist Gegenwart"
    -Novalis-
    My Blog

56. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ex-machina For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1