How many drawings a day do you make?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: How many drawings a day do you make?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Or how many hours do you spend each day drawing?

Myself, I do at least one a day, which isn't very much but rarely do I ever only do one. I'm trying to do still life sketches everyday from now forth, so today I did 5 different scenes (I don't know if that's what you call it, but putting objects together on a table and drawing them), I know that isn't very much also though.

Follow up question: How many hours would you like/try to spend drawing each day?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All the free time I have, I spend doing one thing or another to hone my art skills of one kind or another, and it still doesn't seem like enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It varies. My goal lately has been to learn something new or gain a better understanding of something every single day. Like yesterday I memorized the general shape and construction of ears so that I could draw them better from imagination/memory. Before that I learned things I didn't know about eyes.

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Depends. Sometimes none, sometimes a dozen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wake up... then some line art studying anatomy... then rendering some anatomy... a fast sketch of a land scape 1 or 2 s__s'

minimum of 5/6 drawings >_> I do a schedule every month D:

"What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

MY_SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I try to get in some anatomy studies, stuff from life, thing or two from photos, and I'm trying (really trying) to do drawings from imagination as well, but those are...iffy. As for hours a day? I'd like to spend all of my free time, but with school and work that only comes down to about 4 or so.

Then there's the few hours a day I like to spend reading art history or technique books. Yesterday I read about composition for about three hours because the crit center told me my composition was boring (it was, my god it was).

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    same. I also spend time analyzing reading material an interesting shapes I see.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now that I'm part time at work, I've started doing art from 2-6 every day, this so far has included reading/studies from Loomis books and color studies from photos. After dinner I do whatever I want, which is usually more photo studies, because I enjoy experimenting with color, and because after several hours of sketchbook studies from Loomis my wrist gets really sore. Switching to my cintique seems to give my wrist a break, probably because of the larger range of motion I tend to make while painting on the big screen. I also practice with some gestures and still lifes, and I need to add in anatomy and perspective eventually, but I'm trying to stick to two books at a time for now.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Saramel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I work full time doing something other than art sadly, so it varies from 0-6 "doodles" a day. Finished projects happen about once a week, my artistic interests are varied, so this isn't always an illustration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurenWilsonArt View Post
    I work full time doing something other than art sadly, so it varies from 0-6 "doodles" a day. Finished projects happen about once a week, my artistic interests are varied, so this isn't always an illustration.
    Up until last week this was my situation for the last two and a half years - I hear you on the doodles!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Saramel View Post
    Up until last week this was my situation for the last two and a half years - I hear you on the doodles!
    Congrats on getting out of that situation, then. Are you able to do art full time?

It's getting to where I'm halfway considering just quitting my job and jumping into the fire. Make art and apply to art jobs all day or perish. I have enough common sense I won't do it, but it sure is tempting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a piece of paper on my wall that I fill with possible subjects to study/do, I do AT LEAST 3 of them every day but it's always more than 3, it's just the minimum that I force myself to respect, the day feels weird when I don't get them done so I never miss them anymore.

1. Page of gestures from posemaniacs, ideal for when I feel rusty and can't get focussed, just start up posemaniacs, grab my drawing board and paper and start doing them, usually a page or 3 and I'm good to go, nothing fancy
    2. A portrait from life
    3. Full page of hands from life
    4. Full page of figures from photo
    5. Page of anatomy from book
    6. Page of thumbnails
    7. At least 1 digital color study
    8. A painting from life
    9. A fully rendered pencil sketch
    10. Same but from imagination
    11. 2 pages of doodles in my sketchbook
    12. Study facial features from the mirror

I draw my own hands every day without exception, it's turned into something I just love doing no matter what the outcome, good to see improvement too. When I find that I have to squeeze stuff in between busy moments I tend to draw my hands too, in different ways, lines, focus on shapes, ... Perfect warmup as well! Just do a blind contour first, and a constructive drawing next.

Still working on drawing in the mornings, it's something I have a hard time with, usually get home from school, eat something, read stuff and then start drawing, work for school, draw more till it's time for bed.

I'm an ex-gameaholic, my days used to be filled with playing games and it still itches every single day, it's been my life for the past 10 years but it was getting in the way of my career so decided it was time for a switch, put the gaming system in the closet, got rid of all the distraction in my room, dusted off my book collection and started working.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cranberry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do many unfinished sketches or doodles, but, maybe 3-13 drawings a day?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurenWilsonArt View Post
    Congrats on getting out of that situation, then. Are you able to do art full time?

It's getting to where I'm halfway considering just quitting my job and jumping into the fire. Make art and apply to art jobs all day or perish. I have enough common sense I won't do it, but it sure is tempting.
    Oh no! I know I'm nowhere near good enough or business-savvy enough to drop all other means of steady income and go full force on the art - I was able to convince my boss to let me go to half time (she'd rather that than my leaving to find a different part time job) - and now I'm able to do art half of the day - it's really nice. I would recommend keeping at least a part-time day job, it's good security. One day I hope to make the art my full time thing, but for now, it's really nice to have a safety net!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranberry View Post
    I have a piece of paper on my wall that I fill with possible subjects to study/do, I do AT LEAST 3 of them every day but it's always more than 3, it's just the minimum that I force myself to respect, the day feels weird when I don't get them done so I never miss them anymore.

1. Page of gestures from posemaniacs, ideal for when I feel rusty and can't get focussed, just start up posemaniacs, grab my drawing board and paper and start doing them, usually a page or 3 and I'm good to go, nothing fancy
    2. A portrait from life
    6. Page of thumbnails
    8. A painting from life

I'm an ex-gameaholic, my days used to be filled with playing games and it still itches every single day, it's been my life for the past 10 years but it was getting in the way of my career so decided it was time for a switch, put the gaming system in the closet, got rid of all the distraction in my room, dusted off my book collection and started working.

Damn, good full schedule there.

While I'm still a gameaholic (and considering my love for the game industry in general), I admit that sometimes it gets in the way. I game every day still, though... I don't think I could ever stop.

Please, help me improve by visiting my sketchbook and kicking me in the ass! ^_^

deviantArt
    Draw.Draw.Draw.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to xerenity For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Drawings a day?

Quote Originally Posted by LukasA View Post
    Or how many hours do you spend each day drawing?

Myself, I do at least one a day, which isn't very much but rarely do I ever only do one. I'm trying to do still life sketches everyday from now forth, so today I did 5 different scenes (I don't know if that's what you call it, but putting objects together on a table and drawing them), I know that isn't very much also though.

Follow up question: How many hours would you like/try to spend drawing each day?
    I try to do at least one sketch a day too, I find newspapers a good source of reference. As for the week, I try to at least finish one painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by xerenity View Post
    Damn, good full schedule there.

While I'm still a gameaholic (and considering my love for the game industry in general), I admit that sometimes it gets in the way. I game every day still, though... I don't think I could ever stop.
    I can only recommend you give it a try :p I'm slowly but surely changing my addiction from gaming to drawing/painting and in the end that's what I really want... Besides, playing games won't help me pay my bills either :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't thing it really matters, use time efficient and don't procrastinate, you will be fine.

When you work professionally, you will naturally work faster under pressure anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have all the time in the world and I do about 1-2 drawings a month. Sort of hoping some of the magic of this place will rub off on me and make me a productive human being.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not enough, i would say. My goal is to draw 10hrs a day, but unfortunately i'm in high school so i can only do about 4hrs a day, and sometimes not even that due to stupid school work and other things that life has to offer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh god, not enough by a long shot. Its thanks to being in art college that keeps me drawing and painting. Most days I don't draw anything outside of classwork....I wonder why this is. When I DO draw, I have fun doing it...

Its very strange. I'm sure my growth would be much larger if I would just draw as much as most people here do. Maybe I should make a schedule or something like that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I honestly don't believe I draw as much as I should. School eats up most of my time. It ends at 2:55, I get home a little after 3. Since I am usually exhausted around 7:00 PM, most of my time gets pushed to the weekends and school breaks. During those times I am able to get a lot of studies done. But on school days, the hours between 3 and 7 always seem to disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranberry View Post

2. A portrait from life
    6. Page of thumbnails
    8. A painting from life
    This looks doable.
    I'd like to steal that list if you don't mind.

Members who have read this thread: 3