Art: Portfolio Inquiry.

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Portfolio Inquiry.

Good day folks. I'm very new to graphic design -- been going for about four months now -- and being new, I know, just about... very little.

Something that has been bothering me is how to put together a respectable portfolio. Since I started I've done assorted works, a few vectors (People, a couple of cars), one or two banners (For where I work, a copy store/printer/design centre), some business cards, a logo or two. You get the general idea. Anyway, I was wondering, how can I take this mess of what I've done and compile it in a way that -- for the moment -- can allow me to track my progress and if ever the time comes, can give potential schools or employers confidence in my abilities?

Also, as you may or may not have guessed, I've never had a formal education in graphic design, just a few years of art in secondary school, so bear with me if my stuff seems amateur and if you've got any tips and critiques, please don't be shy.

Also, I used to prefer traditional media, especially pencil/pen on paper (I'm not fond of paints) and I'm looking to get back into them and would like to combine the two.

Thanks.

Z.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by IAMTHEZTM; November 6th, 2011 at 07:57 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, one more thing. When exporting my images to PNG or JPEG, how can I reduce the size of the file, without having to manually shrink the original file?

(By the way, I'm using CorelDRAW. I know, bad word).

Again, please bear with me. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think a point may have been missed. I wanted to know how to shrink my files before I post any of my other works. I don't want to load up the page with gargantuan files and make everyone's systems crash.

Brooklyn, NY (But I am currently bouncing around the country)
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am not 100% familiar with Corel, but if you open the exported file, and reduce the image size (or resolution to 72dpi), then you still have your original artwork saved (at 300dpi, I am assuming).

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/blog/png-vs-jpg is a great primer on the strengths & weaknesses of the different formats.

There may even be a way to export at a different resolution through the save as or export function, I am just not a Corel person.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    iasr -- Thanks a lot, I've tried your advice and I'm actually going to see if it works right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Score! Thanks a bunch, my other work shall soon follow. Again, please bear with me, the stuff's really embarrassing, but I am looking forward to any advice anyone's got to bring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for iasr's advice on shrinking these monstrosity's. I like using PNG's because the transparency makes things look a little less... blocky? I'm not sure, anyway, we've got a couple vectors from a few months ago and a flyer I've recently designed (About two weeks ago).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well first you need to make physical portfolio, in this portfolio you only show your best and yes you can categorize them if you want.

here's a useful link http://nubbytwiglet.com/2009/07/27/7...ign-portfolio/

and its also great to make your own website or if you can't afford hosting you can make a free web portfolio at http://carbonmade.com/ and many others can't recall so do ya searching on google.

and definitely get yourself some business cards.

and also practice, make up your own breifs , give yourself guidelines, challenge yourself because your first impression in the real world is what that counts.

if you want , you can post up works in progress here so people can critque so you can deliver a great product to your client/clients

and 1 more thing, identify what clients you want to work with so you can decide what works are best to put into your portfolio.

as for the 3 peices of work ya just did, ya definately need to boost up more and dont be afraid to put highlights in vectors, like that Lamborghini and lady vector ( hope you're using illustrator for those) and as for the flyer, both background and images need to go hand in hand and be attractive , right now its flat and the atmosphere of it , is just dead.a flyer is something that people will want to glamour at and say yes! I want to go to this event.

also you will need to learn about contracts, rush fees, invoices, etc when dealing with clients.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rapxic View Post
    well first you need to make physical portfolio, in this portfolio you only show your best and yes you can categorize them if you want.

and its also great to make your own website or if you can't afford hosting you can make a free web portfolio at http://carbonmade.com/ and many others can't recall so do ya searching on google.

and also practice, make up your own breifs , give yourself guidelines, challenge yourself because your first impression in the real world is what that counts.

if you want , you can post up works in progress here so people can critque so you can deliver a great product to your client/clients

and 1 more thing, identify what clients you want to work with so you can decide what works are best to put into your portfolio.

as for the 3 peices of work ya just did, ya definately need to boost up more and dont be afraid to put highlights in vectors, like that Lamborghini and lady vector ( hope you're using illustrator for those) and as for the flyer, both background and images need to go hand in hand and be attractive , right now its flat and the atmosphere of it , is just dead.a flyer is something that people will want to glamour at and say yes! I want to go to this event.

also you will need to learn about contracts, rush fees, invoices, etc when dealing with clients.
    Thanks very much. I've been considering a lot of what you mentioned, such as the business cards and the online portfolio, I simply thought that it had to come to a point where I was good enough to go into business for myself before I took steps such as those.

As for the critiques on the works, could you let me know what you mean by "highlights" on the vector? I take highlights and lowlights to be respectively lighter and darker shades from the base shade, which I thought I used, at least on the Lamborghini badge -- or am I missing something? Also, no I don't use Illustrator, I use CorelDRAW. Would you recommend Illustrator? If so, why? Also, how could I "tie-in" the background and images?

Thirdly, yeah, I know it takes a sound knowledge of being able to generally run a business. I'm picking up these kinds of things from where I work now.

I'm sorry about all of the questions, I'm just trying to learn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rapxic, thanks for your advice. I originally had a more detailed reply with some questions, but the moderators have it in limbo for some reason, so when I get the time later on, I'll come back to you.

For now, here's a new logo I did for myself. The idea with the original one is that it was intentionally geometrical, because I do have an appreciation for and a tendency towards the cleaner look. However, upon further inspection, to me a looks a little dead, so I made one that's a little more dynamic.

Also, I love minimalism and simplicity, that's why I did away with the orange and black colour scheme and made it monotone. Much more flexible if I ever wanted to incorporate it into other pieces. Plus, to keep it from being too painfully blocky, I kept the noticeable geometry to just the word "media" and was a little freer with the "Z", rather than the other way around.

Please, let me know what you all think!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a little something I put together quickly for my best friend and the number one lady in my life. This isn't the original, that has got the little "You are my sunshine..." song written on it (Yes, I am a softy) and was in RGB. This here is CMYK and I've submitted it to Threadless.com as a potential shirt design. I'd like you all to let me know that you think and if it looks cool to you, how's a vote? Cheers.

- Z.

http://www.threadless.com/submission...re_My_Sunshine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rapxic View Post

I'm using CorelDraw, though. I don't want to have to jump from programme to programme. To the best of your knowledge, how can I create highlights with what I have? I tried it by doing different layers at different colours and transparency levels.

As for background and images going hand in hand, is that like -- for lack of better phrasing -- if it's linear make everything linear, if it's dynamic, make everything dynamic? (Lots of curves and irregular objects). Sorry for the questions, I'm just really trying to wrap my head and hands around this. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nevermind about the design. It got declined. Was hopeful though and I'll keep pushing myself. By the way, I want to say thanks to everyone who has taken to time to come in here and who has actually offered advice. You've helped me more than you know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMTHEZTM View Post
    Thanks very much. I've been considering a lot of what you mentioned, such as the business cards and the online portfolio, I simply thought that it had to come to a point where I was good enough to go into business for myself before I took steps such as those.

As for the critiques on the works, could you let me know what you mean by "highlights" on the vector? I take highlights and lowlights to be respectively lighter and darker shades from the base shade, which I thought I used, at least on the Lamborghini badge -- or am I missing something? Also, no I don't use Illustrator, I use CorelDRAW. Would you recommend Illustrator? If so, why? Also, how could I "tie-in" the background and images?

Thirdly, yeah, I know it takes a sound knowledge of being able to generally run a business. I'm picking up these kinds of things from where I work now.

I'm sorry about all of the questions, I'm just trying to learn.
    this is a late reply but anyways hope you get this.

Corel Draw is a dead end unless you personally like working with it.

Illustrator is like a far advanced program of Corel Draw, gives alot of freedom and great qaulity, like you can resize a vector image to any size and it still won't loose qaulity in pixels.

As for the highlights i was meaning that you can put lighter shades, vectoring is just like painting in a way.

as for unifying the background and text, its a matter of good composition and cleanliness, think of a flyer as a magazine cover.

the more you ask, the more you reveal and understand.

always measure your work with the best and if you can match or beat them, then you're in a good grooove and from there seek more info and do your best, so keep posting i'll guide you.

also get a scanner, you'll need it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, here are two more, both of them submissions to Threadless.com One, which has gone through the voting process but didn't make it is "Timeless" and features the symbol for infinity as it would be on the face of a digital clock. The second is STAYDOWN, simply something that stemmed from a love of fighting. Let me know what you think.

Plus! You can vote for STAYDOWN here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't bother putting a portfolio together until you know exactly what your doing, you really need to work on your basic principles of design, and do more design work rather than just vectors, which to me are more illustrations than designs. If you are really passionate about working as a designer (which is the only reason you would need a portfolio) than i suggest you take up some formal education and also look at design from the world around you (on the internet, in magazines, the signs you walk past on the street), see what works and what doesn't and apply ideas to your work.

Graphic design, Illustration, Photography. Australia.

LinkedIn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Millz. The reason I chose to do vectors are because I want to go beyond just design, I would also like to include art and illustration. A lot of these things were just practice exercises really. I'm afraid where I love, formal education doesn't go far and I think I'd be better off learning from where I work, but I'll see what's available.

Also, about the splatter, yeah, I realised myself I've been overusing it. I tend to really beat concepts to death when it's something new to me. I'll get past it eventually. I'll definitely try keeping an ear to the ground and my eyes open when it comes to outside designs. I just don't want it to turn into me eventually copying what I see, because I fear I may do that subconsciously.

Thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 1