Thanks

New digital paintings [I watched a lot of FZD!]

Feng zhu (I hope I spelled that right) is so inspirational! I learned a lot of techniques from watching his creature creating episodes.

So me and my friend are creating a youtube, and I decided to use some of those techniques to help me create the background for the channel.

For the first one (a worm inspired creature) I took worm stock photos and cut and paste them into my sketch I had planned out, and this time I took a lot more time on the sketch. I than smudged the pasted images and formed the worms shape, so I got all the colors, than I painted a little bit of that to get more of the shading and highlights that I wanted.
    I think it turned out a lot better than the latest thing I posted in the critique center.

As you can tell I still need to study cloth folds.

The next one, I took a photo of my friend leaning against the wall (he chose the pose), and I used that as a reference for most of it, including the cloth folds (mostly in the shorts), than I used a picture of a Daschund to get the colors right on the face, I did the same thing as with the worm.
    It's sort of messy on the (our) right side because I knew it wasn't going to be visible on the channel.

And if you want to see both the pictures in 'action' they're here - http://www.youtube.com/foursidedball

I am kind of proud of both of them but I know they can be very much improved.

Off topic question:
    It seems like everyone who posts here at CA is really experienced, at least look very experienced to me. I've never seen beginner artists like me here, is there a board for it? I don't know why there should be one though.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 870 Posts
    You don't seem to have a strong sense of construction or form, which really shows in 3D shapes like the dog guy's muzzle and how the worm thing just sort of dissolves into a big blob towards the bottom. In the second case, there's also really weak anatomy going on, especially if you're trying to do a more or less human body.

I can't speak to the painting technique so much, other than to say the result is a bit on the muddy side, and you're not describing form very well. It would do you a lot of good to do more still life and value studies, so you have a better idea of how light on a volume works.
    The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezumi Works View Post
    You don't seem to have a strong sense of construction or form, which really shows in 3D shapes like the dog guy's muzzle and how the worm thing just sort of dissolves into a big blob towards the bottom. In the second case, there's also really weak anatomy going on, especially if you're trying to do a more or less human body.

I can't speak to the painting technique so much, other than to say the result is a bit on the muddy side, and you're not describing form very well. It would do you a lot of good to do more still life and value studies, so you have a better idea of how light on a volume works.
    Yeah I don't really have a strong sense of anything

And what kind of objects would help the most to do still life drawings of?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 870 Posts
    Simple stuff to start. Apples, oranges, cups, that sort of stuff. You want to get a really good sense of how light reacts to things like spheres, cylinders and so forth, so those are good objects to start with. Once you get a bit of confidence, look around for more complicated stuff.

Remember when you're doing the "fun stuff" like worms and dogs and whatnot to carry the skills you're learning with you. Like on your worm, you're dealing with a lot of short cylinders for the body. Well, if you know how to describe a cylinder well (pill bottle, cup, pencil sharpener, etc.) then you can apply it as you go.

One note on the worm, know where your horizon line is when you sketch. If it's mid-body, the curves that separate the segments nearer the top should curve up, not down. Remember that when you're looking up, you see the undersides of things.
    The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey there! I commend you on trying out ideas! It's always cool to get references together and work on something for yourself! Here's the thing--Feng Zhu is going well beyond fundamentals in his tutorials, so you might want to start with something less advanced. His process can get very complicated if you are feeling you don't have a "strong sense of anything".

You need to get a stronger sense and understanding about what you're trying to do. You need to learn from observing real life subjects. Nezumi's totally right on the advice, and I'll suggest you check out the TUTORIALS AND TIPS section here, where you'll find from on the main page. Also look for the COMMUNITY MENTORING section (Community Resources), and check out Idiot Apathy's Peer Project sticky thread. Very good stuff when you're starting out on the path you seem to be on. Look around CA, search for questions, helpful links, and ask someone if you really need help.

Just, right now, don't rush yourself into trying for Feng Zhu's process. It'll come in time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazz For This Useful Post: