Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks

What? SAARMANDER is evolving!

HI eveyone!

I am starting a sketchbook here to share my work, and log my progress as I try and EVOLVE into better, more powerful, Artmonster!

Wish me luck and feel free to comment, critique, and whoop my ass!

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Last edited by Saarmander; November 7th, 2011 at 12:20 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Saarmander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    CRUSH IT!!!!!!!!!! Awesome start, SAAR!!!!!!

"CRUSH IT!" SKETCH GROUP
    My Sketchbook
    Saarmander
    Niffler
    Breistift

>>My Website<<
    Available for freelance!

Thanks

111106 More Humanture!

Bogan- Ch'a thanks You're crushin' it hard core over there!

LETS CRRRUUUSH IT!

Here's some more progress with the creature design I'm working on. I am trying to capture the feeling of a warm, shallow, underwater environment. I had an image I was using as a colour ref when I did the colour thumbnail for this, but have been working from my imagination since. Struggling to define and separate the forms in space, but working at it!

It's annoying feeling like you're spinning your wheels and not moving forward. But every so often you get a little log of knowledge and stick it under that wheel! Then, for a little while, you're making progress again and life is GREAT. There's always more crap to get your wheels stuck in up ahead though, and I LOVE IT! GIVE ME CRAP!!!

I'ma go get me a log.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Saarmander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    WTF!
    ._____. It's awesome. I love the colors in your first artwork.

Thanks
    good job mate! I really like that your pushing it! I think you have great potential in creature design! I love you charcoal drawings! they look great. it seems like you have a grasp on figure drawing. for this painting I would suggest that you add more detail to the figure and face because its kinda hard to tell what it is. and im not sure what that is coming out to the left but it seems like a cape. if thats what it is the i suggest looking at some references and maybe loosing it up. Other than that I am liking your style. Cant wait to see more! keep it up man!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to yogeshj25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Definitely liking the direction you're going with the creature, Saar. Keep on crushin' and keep on findin' logs.

"CRUSH IT!" SKETCH GROUP
    My Sketchbook
    Saarmander
    Niffler
    Breistift

>>My Website<<
    Available for freelance!

Thanks

Sunday morning at the Zoo

LadyAtuna - Thank you very much! I am going to try and carry those colours through to the finished image as best I can.

yogeshj25 - I really appreciate the kind words and critique! My instructor said pretty much the same thing in regards to parts of the image being very hard to read. I'll be taking the space knight apart over the next few days and re-working it into a stronger piece. Definitely going to work on making the image clearer and easier to read!

Bogan - Always searching for logs, to CRUSH WITH!

Here's some pages out of my sketchbook from this morning. I love going to the zoo and drawing animals! But I haven't been taking my sketchbook around and drawing all the time like I used to so I have gotten a tad rusty at life drawing
    !!ONE MORE THING TO CRUSH!!

Thanks

First complete self portrait, CRUSHED!

Here's a self portrait I've been working on for the last 4.5 hours. It may not be amazing but I learned a TON!
    And I will use that ton to start CRUSHIN' some more tomorrow!

Thanks
    Great attitude man! Really like the animal sketches. It's not much of a crit but maybe you should push the lights more, in your SP all the values are dark to middle, I think putting some bright highlights at least on the glasses and eyes would have made it more interesting.

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Thanks
    Omnomnom, I like your life studies! Specially those last 2 ladies, the white combines very well with the paper. And such a nice curvy behind!

Thanks

111107 LD

Vertical- Thanks! And you are so right about the self portrait, I'll be working to nail a better tonal pattern next time, and work a focal point!

Overtoom- I think omnomnom is my favorite onomatopoeia (is it officially one of those yet?) though I have never used it in regards to art before, i'll have to consider this. Thank you

Here are some Life drawings from a 3 hour session this afternoon. The poses range from 5 to 10 minutes, the muddy one with the big black rectangle is 30min. Bought some different NuPastel colours today to try out, a dark middle and light tone to match the paper and black and white. It's fun trying new material! This actually wasn't so much of a struggle media wise, though I definitely need to experiment more with the pastels. The struggle for me is still mostly in grasping good proportions quickly so I can focus more on nice line quality and artistic decision making rather than wrestling the drawing. Tried to focus on proportion here. Doing the rather small 5 minute drawings was a good way to try and nail simple proportions fast, but was kinda hard to do with the soft pastel. I may have to take a conte pencil or graphite to a session or two, though I'd rather not! As always any and all comments and critiques welcome and wanted! Going to go do some anatomy studies and try and sharpen my art Brains!

another day... CRUSHED

Thanks
    Awesome stuff, Saar. I'm loving the NuPastel work.

One thing I think might be helpful is to consider where you put your lightest lights (and darkest darks) in those short poses. For example, the one of Ben where his shoulder is really bright; even though that may be what you are seeing in front of you, you can choose to de-emphasize it to bring the focus back to his face. As long as you are aware that you are making that choice and why, you can bend the rules if it strengthens the final image.

"CRUSH IT!" SKETCH GROUP
    My Sketchbook
    Saarmander
    Niffler
    Breistift

>>My Website<<
    Available for freelance!

Thanks
    Oh man your stuff is awesome! I love your life drawing and your animal drawings have great gesture. I am freaking jealous!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.