Sketchbook: What? SAARMANDER is evolving!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What? SAARMANDER is evolving!

HI eveyone!

I am starting a sketchbook here to share my work, and log my progress as I try and EVOLVE into better, more powerful, Artmonster!

Wish me luck and feel free to comment, critique, and whoop my ass!

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Last edited by Saarmander; November 7th, 2011 at 12:20 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Saarmander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CRUSH IT!!!!!!!!!! Awesome start, SAAR!!!!!!

"CRUSH IT!" SKETCH GROUP
    My Sketchbook
    Saarmander
    Niffler
    Breistift

>>My Website<<
    Available for freelance!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

111106 More Humanture!

Bogan- Ch'a thanks You're crushin' it hard core over there!

LETS CRRRUUUSH IT!

Here's some more progress with the creature design I'm working on. I am trying to capture the feeling of a warm, shallow, underwater environment. I had an image I was using as a colour ref when I did the colour thumbnail for this, but have been working from my imagination since. Struggling to define and separate the forms in space, but working at it!

It's annoying feeling like you're spinning your wheels and not moving forward. But every so often you get a little log of knowledge and stick it under that wheel! Then, for a little while, you're making progress again and life is GREAT. There's always more crap to get your wheels stuck in up ahead though, and I LOVE IT! GIVE ME CRAP!!!

I'ma go get me a log.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Saarmander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WTF!
    ._____. It's awesome. I love the colors in your first artwork.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good job mate! I really like that your pushing it! I think you have great potential in creature design! I love you charcoal drawings! they look great. it seems like you have a grasp on figure drawing. for this painting I would suggest that you add more detail to the figure and face because its kinda hard to tell what it is. and im not sure what that is coming out to the left but it seems like a cape. if thats what it is the i suggest looking at some references and maybe loosing it up. Other than that I am liking your style. Cant wait to see more! keep it up man!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to yogeshj25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely liking the direction you're going with the creature, Saar. Keep on crushin' and keep on findin' logs.

"CRUSH IT!" SKETCH GROUP
    My Sketchbook
    Saarmander
    Niffler
    Breistift

>>My Website<<
    Available for freelance!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sunday morning at the Zoo

LadyAtuna - Thank you very much! I am going to try and carry those colours through to the finished image as best I can.

yogeshj25 - I really appreciate the kind words and critique! My instructor said pretty much the same thing in regards to parts of the image being very hard to read. I'll be taking the space knight apart over the next few days and re-working it into a stronger piece. Definitely going to work on making the image clearer and easier to read!

Bogan - Always searching for logs, to CRUSH WITH!

Here's some pages out of my sketchbook from this morning. I love going to the zoo and drawing animals! But I haven't been taking my sketchbook around and drawing all the time like I used to so I have gotten a tad rusty at life drawing
    !!ONE MORE THING TO CRUSH!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

First complete self portrait, CRUSHED!

Here's a self portrait I've been working on for the last 4.5 hours. It may not be amazing but I learned a TON!
    And I will use that ton to start CRUSHIN' some more tomorrow!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great attitude man! Really like the animal sketches. It's not much of a crit but maybe you should push the lights more, in your SP all the values are dark to middle, I think putting some bright highlights at least on the glasses and eyes would have made it more interesting.

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Omnomnom, I like your life studies! Specially those last 2 ladies, the white combines very well with the paper. And such a nice curvy behind!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

111107 LD

Vertical- Thanks! And you are so right about the self portrait, I'll be working to nail a better tonal pattern next time, and work a focal point!

Overtoom- I think omnomnom is my favorite onomatopoeia (is it officially one of those yet?) though I have never used it in regards to art before, i'll have to consider this. Thank you

Here are some Life drawings from a 3 hour session this afternoon. The poses range from 5 to 10 minutes, the muddy one with the big black rectangle is 30min. Bought some different NuPastel colours today to try out, a dark middle and light tone to match the paper and black and white. It's fun trying new material! This actually wasn't so much of a struggle media wise, though I definitely need to experiment more with the pastels. The struggle for me is still mostly in grasping good proportions quickly so I can focus more on nice line quality and artistic decision making rather than wrestling the drawing. Tried to focus on proportion here. Doing the rather small 5 minute drawings was a good way to try and nail simple proportions fast, but was kinda hard to do with the soft pastel. I may have to take a conte pencil or graphite to a session or two, though I'd rather not! As always any and all comments and critiques welcome and wanted! Going to go do some anatomy studies and try and sharpen my art Brains!

another day... CRUSHED

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome stuff, Saar. I'm loving the NuPastel work.

One thing I think might be helpful is to consider where you put your lightest lights (and darkest darks) in those short poses. For example, the one of Ben where his shoulder is really bright; even though that may be what you are seeing in front of you, you can choose to de-emphasize it to bring the focus back to his face. As long as you are aware that you are making that choice and why, you can bend the rules if it strengthens the final image.

"CRUSH IT!" SKETCH GROUP
    My Sketchbook
    Saarmander
    Niffler
    Breistift

>>My Website<<
    Available for freelance!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man your stuff is awesome! I love your life drawing and your animal drawings have great gesture. I am freaking jealous!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

super sleepy

Bogan - Yeah, controlling the values in my images is a big thing I am trying to work on. Something I think was taking for granted for a while. Back to basics! to build a foundation, on which to CRUSH!

bobmeatbag - Thank you! I checked out your sketchbook earlier, and your gestures are coming along really really well, just keep at it!

Hey it's 2:00am! I'm sleepy and it's sleep time now. I was going to go to sleep earlier but then Dan started streaming in the danger room and I got motivated to keep pushing! Which is awesome. So I did these. This is me trying to do life drawing digitally. I've only ever done gestures with pencil or conte before so It was fun not getting dirty! I still tried to treat it like traditional media so no erasing! I'll have to play with this more, it was fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work! Love the figure work and the zoo studies are great

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful stuff so far, those life drawings are sick!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the life studies - you have a good understanding of drawing form, and the colors and values make the drawings glow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Greatttt work. very nice style, really liek your self portrait, using those otter guys for gestures is awesome and your life drawings are really great too, your solidity and value is very neat.
    Looking forward to more. Maybe try some environments? Cant think much to critique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I really dig your mark making, paints or pencil. Super gestural forms and brush strokes, all around. I don't think you can ask for a better foundation for pushing forward in your work. Nice start!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,676 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice life drawings.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

111108 Just home from class, getting ready to CRUSH IT

Hey guys, thank you all for the kind words!

I am so pumped to get better and improve! I have been coming up against a lot of walls lately in my art, but I'm not finding it discouraging these days. Frustrating yes, but not discouraging. so the only place to go now is FORWARD! Towards crazy unrealistic goals and dreams just out of reach! If you haven't checked out the Deathline over at CrimsonDaggers DO IT!

Here's the current state of my creature design. Down to massaging the hell out of it before moving forward with texturing and finalizing the environment it's in. Trying to render forms in space while considering value, colour temperature, composition, focal points, and technique is tough but also kind of meditative! Really trying to push myself farther with every image these days. Gotta step it up, gotta' CRUSH IT!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last post was THREE days ago??? CRUSH IT!!!

"CRUSH IT!" SKETCH GROUP
    My Sketchbook
    Saarmander
    Niffler
    Breistift

>>My Website<<
    Available for freelance!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

111112 crushin time again!

Hello!

I have not posted for the last three days, but I HAVE been CRUSHIN'!~

I'll post the sketches I did at the Royal Winter Fair here in Toronto later, but for now, here's a study I did tonight... this morning?

I've been trying to do darker images in my studies just to get a feel for pulling a range of colours and values out of a limited scale. SO~ I've learned a bunch about greys and value with this, and also some about modelling! I haven't done these in the past because I didn't see much value to them, but the folks at Crimson Daggers changed my mind, and now I'm exited to do loads of them! Learning a ton!

CRUUUUUSH IT!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

111113 Crushn'

SO!

Here's a still life I've done as part of the weekly CRUSH we're trying to do. I didn't get to finish it, but I'm verging on taking this beyond a study if I spend any more time on it. I've learned a lot from doing this, but I need to focus on getting the most out of my studies and getting as much out of my time as possible.

The Deathline is super intense, and I am super pumped to do it. I am going to have to zero in on three goals this week and set up some quantitative short term goals that I can CRUSH!

Last edited by Saarmander; November 14th, 2011 at 01:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Absolutely amazing studies! You have a nice understanding of form and lighting. it's impressive. I might suggest doing some work on lines though. Great work!

Available for Freelance -Portfolio| Sketchbook |DeviantArt |Blog |ZesiulArt@Gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pooooooooost!

"CRUSH IT!" SKETCH GROUP
    My Sketchbook
    Saarmander
    Niffler
    Breistift

>>My Website<<
    Available for freelance!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

1111116 Crushin n' Cleanin

-Zesiul- Thanks for the super kind words! And I will make and effort to CRUSH all the lines. In my Life drawing and in my painting!

HILO!

I haven't posted for a few days but I've been Givn' er none the less here at home, and at school! Trying to make headway with all of my Deathline goals, art and personal alike. SO I've been cleaning for hours! Now my place smells nice and is ready for CRUSHING!

This week I am focusing on anatomy this week, but I don't think I'll be posting to much of that stuff, we'll see. Also doing 2 half hour sketches a day. The first image I posted is one from yesterday. I did 4 the day before with Bogan, but they were poop, so I didn't post them. I'm not sure if I should post poop. It might motivated me to do better work, or it might just add poop to my sketch book I haven't decided yet...

The second image is my current progress with the Humanture, which I'll be adding texture and stuff to this weekend after finalizing values and colours. Having a ton of fun with this guy.

The last image is the current state of my space knight. It is a colour key. I have the drawing all figured out but need to start rendering it now. I have started this guy over 3 times now so hopefully I am on to something now! This has been a serious trial so far. Failure sucks and burns but it's all part of the process. So hopefully I will have gained some serious knowledge through all this and be the better for it!

STILL CRUSHING IT!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

30 min sketches from yesterday and before

So I decided I wasn't going to post the old poop from a few days ago, but I will post the new poop, and hopefully that will propel me through the initial poop layer and into the next! Going to CRUSH 2 a day all week, amongst other things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaaaaaaa stuff like this gives me a right slap to the face. Love the batch on post 11, great life studies and I'm loving some of the monsters you're coming up with. Nothing constructive to say, I'm afraid. Just keep on crushing.

- Sketchbook - Society6 - Etsy
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff here man!

Keep pushin'!

-Twitter-Facebook
    JohnSilvaArt@gmail.com
    Portfolio
    ca sketchbook