Insecurity
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Insecurity

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Insecurity

Hey guys.

Is it normal to question whether you are good enough? Is it a healthy art habit being aware of your actual level in art, like with my skills today i can do this and cannot do that, or is it a bad obsession. I feel insecure about my art sometimes and I was wondering if that is normal.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol well, if I had a nickel for every time..

I feel like it's mostly normal to feel that way, works as a great motivator and all that. Some days I seem to struggle with the basic things, other days it all comes really easily. I'd say take a few deep breaths every time you feel that way and try to think through it realistically.

Just looking at your sketchbook tells me you're learning a lot and shouldn't have anything to worry about at all. ^_^

Please, help me improve by visiting my sketchbook and kicking me in the ass! ^_^

deviantArt
    Draw.Draw.Draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i pretty much feel like this 24/7. no matter what i do i cant seem to just accept that sometimes things wont look the way i want. I take minor mistakes in sketches as some indication that I wont be able to achieve what I want and that I'm an awful artist. It's a seriously bad habit, and hopefully its not that extreme for you.

It's just something all artists (in any sense of the word) have to work through though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If everyone thought they were good enough, they wouldn't get any better

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smurf808 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    erm...yes. this is normal, in fact it's good to know that your art isn't the best, and fine if one thinks their art sucks. IMO, it's better that i think my art is shit and i'm constantly striving to get better, than to be satisfied where i am and stagnate cause i see nothing that needs improving.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Insecurity when creating art is perfectly normal. Everytime you draw, sculpt, or paint something you are putting on a performance for yourself and for anyone else who happens to be looking. That performance reveals, without any mitigation whatsoever, exactly what your skills are at that time. There is no hiding behind philosophical nonsense or artistic statements. It is a humbling experience because unless you are completely self-deluded, you can see instantly where your skills fall short. It is then your responsibility and yours alone to put more effort into improving in those areas.

On a side-note, insecurity can also be caused by low testosterone, but that is a discussion for another time and place...

As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The only artists I've known who WEREN'T always paranoid of not being "good enough" were really cocky and just kept cranking out the same tired material because they knew it would satisfy their fans, never improving.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Assessing your skill to detect weak areas, so you could improve, is good.

Obsessing over not being good enough is bad.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Alternative View Post
    I feel insecure about my art sometimes and I was wondering if that is normal.
    In my case, it's a constant interference.... but, I put it in a box, place it on the farthest shelf I possibly can, tell it to shut up already, and go do things in spite of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always call my big brother if I get too excited about my progress. " Man, that does not look right, really. I don't even know why little brother, but it looks strange"

Or my mother. If you draw a monkey and show it to her, here is what you'll here: "Oh... the face of that horse came out pretty well, but I am not so sure about his legs... is this a horse?"

If you need someone to pull you on the ground,...and deeper, just write a message to me. You can have them for free.... you can even keep them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AckermannPhilip View Post
    I always call my big brother if I get too excited about my progress. " Man, that does not look right, really. I don't even know why little brother, but it looks strange"

Or my mother. If you draw a monkey and show it to her, here is what you'll here: "Oh... the face of that horse came out pretty well, but I am not so sure about his legs... is this a horse?"

If you need someone to pull you on the ground,...and deeper, just write a message to me. You can have them for free.... you can even keep them.
    haha i do this to my brother as well, considering im always nitpicking at whatever looks wrong in my work (usually everything as far as im concerned), im able to pick up on his mistakes easily. hes convinced im picking on him though.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Professional Jouster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, it's perfectly normal. I would try not to obsess over it though. The thing is that it you are completely satisfied with your work, then what's going to motivate you to improve? On the other hand if you completely tell yourself and believe that you suck you may find yourself too discouraged to try again. To improve, you've gotta be willing to try again and again and again I think. Of course with focused study and intent.

I think it's good to know where you stand as far as ability goes. That way you can gauge what you need to do to get to where you want to be.

My Sketchbook

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -- Confucius

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a difference between being insecure and knowing that you still have things to learn. It seems to me that the insecurity comes from expecting great things of yourself, but falling short.

If you fall short, it does not mean you'll never be as great an artist as you'd like, it just means you need more practice.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JamesWintle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Elwell quote time:

"Be:
    Aware of how far you've come
    Proud of where you are
    Excited about where you're going"

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Insecurity is wondering if your GF will chop your nuts off if you fall a sleep before her. It's a form of paranoia.

What you think is insecurity with your art is actually you trying to decide if you're too stupid to know what to do next and not know how to confirm it, or being too smart to know that the fuck-up you just experienced was NOT an accident that could have been avoided if you had just thought for two more seconds. It's a form of finding your way in a complicated world...step by step.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "A creative artist works on his next composition because he is not satisfied with his previous one. When he loses a critical attitude toward his own work, he ceases to be an artist." - Shostakovich

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Think about it like this, you'll propably never think you're good enough if you have an art brain. You only get better by doing things therefore do things and stop being insecure about it. It's not like someone is going to punch you in the face if you make a bad drawing except if you maybe forgot a deadline for a client, hell do i know XP.

How are you supposed to make good art if you're not allowed to make a single bad piece for example? I hope i didn't stay too much off topic. Think about improving instead of how good you are at the moment, and remind yourself where you want to be in a few years. Being insecure is just your brain trying to fool you and it's pretty much an illusion and illusions can't hurt you, right? But i guess it goes away the more you draw too.

jessejesse is offline Illustrator / Designer / Psychedelic Frontiersman Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two good books dealing with this topic....

"Art and Fear" and "Trust The Process"

-Jesse

Members who have read this thread: 1