Sketchbook: Bogan's Book (CRUSH IT!) - Page 2

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    skMOP: Yeah, the effect I want is going to be part of the main focus as the illustration is about a weird robot monster emerging from a blizzard, so the blizzard should be a powerful visual element. Distracting, however, is not what it should be, the blizzard should be part of a integrated image that isn't confusing. Thanks for your input, my man.
    FeatheredFace: Thank you . It's funny cuz the brush I'm using (or was using, I switch every now and then) is a hard brush, but I think the way I paint lends itself to less defined edges. Edge control is definitely one the the main things I'm focusing on in my painting at the moment.
    Cranberry: Cheers dude, I think you might be the first!

Here's a rather weird image that started as a doodle but turned into something kinda interesting. It's a bubble gum demon... representing my addiction to bubblegum.... delicious gum...
    I also made a process animation if anyone is interested! I love seeing other artists' process, maybe this will be helpful to someone

Thanks for stopping byyyyyy! I'm behind on my daily orcs, I should post some today. Also got some client work to do , hopefully can post it soon!

EDIT: AWWWWW YEEAAAA PAGE 2 BABY!!!! Most successful sketchbook to date woop WOOP!! CRUSHERZ 4 LYFE!!~

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by bogan; November 11th, 2011 at 04:31 PM.
    "CRUSH IT!" SKETCH GROUP
    My Sketchbook
    Saarmander
    Niffler
    Breistift

>>My Website<<
    Available for freelance!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Really cool stuff here man, really liking that skeleton guy and, your self portraits are ace.
    I agree with skMOP though, the snow is way too dominating. Maybe if used some atmospheric fog+heavy snow on the background, took away most of the foreground snow, and added some more well placed snow particles? It really has potential.
    Keep at it man, really looking forward to more stuff!

Thanks
    PieMonster: Thanks man! Your work rocks dude, thanks for stopping by Yeah, I agree the snow as it is definitely isn't working, I'm going to try using more foggy, atmospheric type snow rather than literal snowflakes and only have snowflakes in key focal areas.

I came back to that fencer doodle I did a few nights ago and started painting.

"CRUSH IT!" SKETCH GROUP
    My Sketchbook
    Saarmander
    Niffler
    Breistift

>>My Website<<
    Available for freelance!

Thanks
    Ho!.. everything in here is so awesome.. i love that robo skeleton.. was fun to see its progression..

Keep Crushing it!! (lol this crush thing is so catchy)

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    BERBERGERM!

You already know I think that demon is awesome.

And aside from that other stuff I mentioned with the character (which is a really nice sketch btw) I think she's got that similar face you always do, I may be wrong. Maybe you should CRUSH some female face studies! Also it sounds like fun to do... I mean drawing lady faces... not CRUSHING ladies faces... well... CRUSHING studies of their faces... you know.

Thanks

nice SB

Hey BOGAN

I had to bust in on the action with a CA forums account so that I could comment on all the CRUSHING!! that's going on in here.

nice stuff.

Last edited by Will10; November 13th, 2011 at 02:00 PM.

Thanks
    REM92: THANKS crushing is addictive
    SAARMANDER: Yeah I think you're probably right! I don't draw many females but when I do they often have similar face structures, I should try to add some variety.
    Will10: THANKS BROP

Here are some half hour speed paints based on the subjects "dry beast", "mortipede" (a card from MtG, re-imagined), and "fearsome slime".

Last edited by bogan; November 16th, 2011 at 11:32 AM.
    "CRUSH IT!" SKETCH GROUP
    My Sketchbook
    Saarmander
    Niffler
    Breistift

>>My Website<<
    Available for freelance!

Thanks
    hey there!
    the fearsome slime is great! watch out for the composition on these. the dry beast doesn't work as well as the others.
    also, guess who just started crushing it

Thanks
    I made up some rules and flavour text for those sketches and turned them into Magic the Gathering cards! yay funnn

obviously, Wizards owns Magic so copyright to them etc.

Also, who else is a fan of the old style cards? they actually looked like awesome spells, the new ones look too cleaned up.

"CRUSH IT!" SKETCH GROUP
    My Sketchbook
    Saarmander
    Niffler
    Breistift

>>My Website<<
    Available for freelance!

Thanks
    Fantastic pieces, really nice shape and form. Look into studying up on your rendering.

Available for Freelance -Portfolio| Sketchbook |DeviantArt |Blog |ZesiulArt@Gmail.com

Thanks
    Ho shit, I just walked in, then there was this guy CRUSHIN' IT right from page 1...holy craps! Damnittt, i think i'm gonna get hooked on saying that too...

Btw, thanks for dropping by my book. Are you doing deathline too?
    I had a "ooooooooooooooo" moment, when I saw you're from Toronto. Im actually in Brampton, but one of my goals is to move to toronto, so eyyy. If you're still here, we should totally go sketching and whatever.

Thanks
    Zesiul, yeah I tend to be pretty sketchy, but don't use those last 3 pieces as examples of how I render! those were limited 30 minutes each. On the whole though I do tend to leave things unfinished, you're right.
    SEAGE, my man! Yeah I'm on the deathline, but I haven't put my goals online yet, only really fleshed them out completely a few days ago but this is into week 2 now for me. I might post em soon. And yeah dude when(!!!!) you get into T.O pm me or somethin! Saarmander and Niffler (links in my sig) are in the deathline with me, we can all go sketching or something.

Here are some quick silhouettes for some different fighter types for a personal project entitled "ORC BRAWL" (which also happens to be one of my deathline goals, to flesh it out with a complete concept package by the end of the year). It's a brawler fighting game where orcs of all shapes and sizes beat the **** out of each other. I'm not that happy with the bruiser class, his pose is really lame, and I'm not quite sure how to express his role through silhouette and proportion just yet without visually taking from the many other orc franchises out there.

Anyway here are the classes, in the final game there would be 2 or 3 or 4 characters per class. These are just the archetypes that share general qualities.

Behemoth: The biggest and most brutal of orcs. Extremely slow, both mentally and physically, but they hit like a freight train. The strongest and dumbest.
    Bruiser: The standard orc-grunt, also the most common, second only to the Imp class. A well rounded orc with medium speed, endurance, and power, however it is the second least intelligent, second to the Behemoth.
    Alpha: When orcs go to war, these are the Captains. They make their place in orc society with a combination of extortion, threats, and brute strength. They know how to manipulate other orcs into following them, and also know how to deal with orcs that betray them. It is the second smartest orc class, second only to the Deciever class. Mid range endurance speed and power.
    Savage: These orcs exist only in the barest co-operation with the rest of orc society. If orcs are civilized creatures, these are beasts. Highly mobile, utilizing their long reach and natural poisons, these orcs are highly dangerous to slower classes, darting in and out with lightning speed. They are very unintelligent, on a level with the Bruiser class.
    Deciever: Tacticians, warlocks, assassins, demonists. The most intelligent orc, possessing a deadly cunning allowing it to pursue deadly arts unavailable to other orcs. The most feared by other orcs, and possibly the most dangerous; only they are ever seen above Alpha orcs in the hierarchy of orc society, though they often choose to be advisors and assistants, seeing those roles to be less of a target. Their great cunning is only offset by their extremely low endurance and physical power.
    Imp: The fastest, yet the weakest of orcs. They possess some intelligence, of a different kind. Their need for adaptation is their deadliest enemy, and their greatest weapon. If they lose their focus for even a second, they will be beat into the dust by their larger counterparts. They use everything to their advantage, dirty fighting knows no limits when it comes to Imps.

"CRUSH IT!" SKETCH GROUP
    My Sketchbook
    Saarmander
    Niffler
    Breistift

>>My Website<<
    Available for freelance!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bogan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    looks great, rendering and all!!
    what is this deathline thing?
    you have more stuff in your blog that should be posted here aswell!!

also the illustrations work perfectly well as a magic cards

Thanks
    Oh man John, That's EXCITING Can't wait to see you CRUSH this XD

Thanks
    1 observation; the BEHEMOTH shouldn't have pants. He should have a loin cloth like the others. If he's the dumbest orc, he shouldn't have pants.

You could make one more class: a really short and obese orc, the 'Bowler' or the 'Marble' or the 'CRUSHER' class.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Will10 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I want to play orc brawl :o I pick the deceiver!

Original idea for the deathline, loving it!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Cranberry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    f1x: Hey thanks man, your work rocks, thanks for stopping by! The deathline is something the crimson daggers started. Basically choose 3 really hard to reach goals and nail em in one year. I didn't post anything from my blog in here cuz I wanted it to be only new stuff but I might bring some in.
    THANKS SAAR!!
    Will10: yeah lol good point.
    Cranberry: Berries are the shit. You are the man! Yeeeahh dude, wait for Orc Brawl, I'm aiming for a 2013 release! Gonna be the best game ever!!

Here are two 30 min speed paints. Subjects were "venomous breath" and "abyssal gatekeeper". Also did a bunch of ORCBRAWL sketches, I'll post em later when I get home probably. Should I try and finish my skelebot and fencer girl? I kinda left em too long, going back to them will take some working, but it would probably be a good idea, I tend to leave a lot of things unfinished.

"CRUSH IT!" SKETCH GROUP
    My Sketchbook
    Saarmander
    Niffler
    Breistift

>>My Website<<
    Available for freelance!

Thanks
    I really like your use of colors! good job

23. The Following User Says Thank You to crowKAKAWWW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    THANKS CrowKakaakakawwww!! I really appreciate it.

Here's a demonist orc, DECEIVER CLASS, that I sketched out. Figuring out the lighting etc.

And another 30 minute speedpaint of a feral orc, SAVAGE CLASS, or possibly a CROSS-BREED BRUISER/SAVAGE CLASS, cuz he looks a little hefty.

I posted them together since they have similar lighting, kinda work side by side heheheh (yeah cuz i totally planned it like that heheheheh )

BOGAN OUT

"CRUSH IT!" SKETCH GROUP
    My Sketchbook
    Saarmander
    Niffler
    Breistift

>>My Website<<
    Available for freelance!

Thanks
    I like this deathline concept then!
    about the blog sorry I didnt check the dates, didnt know those were old heh, oh yes then ok make new ones and post them!!! ill be waiting =D

Thanks
    Damn, it's scary how quick you guys produce stuff. It takes me days to advance even a little bit with painting.

Thanks
    Great control over values!
    For the 30 mins speedpaints, do you start directly with color or in grayscale?

ps: I love that Orc brawl lineup, very good idea and execution.

Thanks
    Hi Tonian, I am really into #42 I am not big in digital I am doing more flash in digital,
    but that post shows me how you start and is inspiring. Would love to see some of your sketches in pencil or inc what ever you use, I am totally into pencil and pen right now.

Maybe see you in the sketching group, I am always looking for inspiration and feedback.

Sketchbook - . Showreal - . Commission me - .

*critique* advice* help full links, is appreciated*

Thanks
    diggin the lighting on the deceiver orc! not sure about the spikes.

Thanks
    f1x: Yeah you should do the deathline too!
    bobmeatbag: You'll get faster if you push it, quick painting is something I really had to work at.
    e-nat: The 30 minute paintings I start directly in colour, as with all of my painting. I can never get colour to look right over a tonal painting so it just makes more sense for me to work in colour.
    iven: I'm glad you got something from that, that's really awesome! I'll drop by your thread soon.
    breistift: Thanks Max. Yeah I'm not sure about the spikes either. I want him to have some sort of costume element though... not sure how I'm going to deal with that yet.

Here are some quick quick face sketches from Robin Hood, they were pretty fun to do, probably a good warm-up exercise for me. Sorry for the crappy quality! I don't own a scanner

"CRUSH IT!" SKETCH GROUP
    My Sketchbook
    Saarmander
    Niffler
    Breistift

>>My Website<<
    Available for freelance!

Thanks
    Great sketches. Got any recommendations on how to get faster at painting?
    I practice with a time limit on paintings but that's all I really know.

Do I just keep practicing or is there something else?

Thanks
    Hey hey, here are some more 30 minute speed paintings, the subjects were "metal soul" and "white plague". Oh, and one I did yesterday: "floating castle" obviously inspired by Castle in the Sky (amazing movie )

"CRUSH IT!" SKETCH GROUP
    My Sketchbook
    Saarmander
    Niffler
    Breistift

>>My Website<<
    Available for freelance!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to bogan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    awesome speedpaintings! love'em!

Thanks
    Great stuff as usual. Thanks for the tips and that video, it helps alot. As for the painting that I posted last, I was going to turn in color seeing as how I prepared seperate layers and everything but it got muddled up so it might stay in black and white for a little while.

Thanks
    Thanks Max!

You should try out some colours on that painting, Bob! Tt's very reminiscent of Hunchback of Notre Dam layouts (in the very best way, they are amazing if you haven't seen them).

Here are two steampunk weapons (with really unoriginal names...) and my thumbnails that I did as an art test for a client. Now I get to wait to hear back from them, if at all, LOL. Oh well, they were really fun to do, steampunk is awesome.

wow those images are pretty big.... maybe I'll resize them later... oh well...

"CRUSH IT!" SKETCH GROUP
    My Sketchbook
    Saarmander
    Niffler
    Breistift

>>My Website<<
    Available for freelance!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1