Sketchbook: Many sketchlings - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Idle-Elk View Post
    Great use of line and colour here! Your sketchbook has a graphic feel to it.

Keep 'em coming!
    Cheers! I'm trying to find a nice balance between graphic and painterly. Probably expecting a bit much there! I'm torn which way to go because I like graphic but I love painterly. So for now I'm hacking away at both

I took what LutherTaylor said and I've been trying to do some studies. I took some photos from Morguefile & desaturated them and painted them whilst squinting, which isn't too hard for me as I can just take my glasses off and I'm slowly getting it! Normally I hate doing landscapes and the like but I'm kinda enjoying this. So a fat thanks to all of you.

Anyway here's the pix.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hey! glad to see you have applied what I mentioned! and already I see big change in your studies. Don't forget the other half of the tip (practice painting grayscale from coloured images) when you start getting confident in rendering grayscale to grayscale.
    whilst doing these studies as well don't be afraid to try out different brush presets on the typical round brush. play with the 'scattering' and 'spacing' sliders, play with the shape of the round brush via brush preset as well (i think it was that tab) all three of those would help tremendously with rain and snow. they also wouldve helped on the rocks and the water as well but that's me being nit picky

I also notice previous comments. It's partially good focusing on many things as once to build up a general understanding and work process, but this method is THEE slowest at showing progress if you wish to draw via memory alone. thing of it like stats for a RPG character. certain areas of study equal these stats :anatomy, colour, light and shadow, perspective etc. once you gather enough experience points through hard battle (lol) you level up ONE of these stats. Art wise, through repetition of studying you gain enough experience to level up. it is usually by studying intensively and repetitively one of the aspects that you level THAT aspect. by studying all things at the same time, you gain experience but not enough to level up if that makes sense. making matters worse, each of these aspects have their own areas of focus lol. like anatomy. studying ANATOMY alone won't suddenly make you a master at drawing a variety of POSES, nor make you a master of RENDERING THE HUMAN IN VALUE. (capitalised on words that are studies of that aspect). also same thing as well, you can practice rendering humans as a whole intensively, but you can hone in on areas you want to develop first like the face, or the torso, legs. divide and conquer ma dear!

ahh jeeez it happened again, my excessive impulse to share has made me spam an essay lolol I'm gonna shut up now, but before I do. If i haven't shared before.
    check out posemaniacs.com for a widddddde range of poses to draw from. gotta drill those poses everyday. then there is also pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php
    for practice on rendering. They also have animals there as well.

Best of luck! will be in touch

If I happen to comment on your sketchbook, please don't feel obliged to comment on mine. use that time instead to get back to work.

CA sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=245741

Deviantart: http://luthertaylor.deviantart.com/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to luthertaylor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Luther, the RPG analogy is really good! I know exactly what you mean. It's kind what I've been applying to my anatomy studies. For instance at the moment I'm focusing on the arms (big weak point there) and a few months ago it was the torso. It's why I'm kinda limiting my landscape studies to once or twice a week. The rest is all anatomy, poses & the like. I think doing the photo studies will help my perception of value a lot though. Once I've mastered (ha ha) people I'm then going to focus on enviros more. I guess I don't want my enviro skills to be at level 1 all the time.

Thanks for the advice & I really don't mind the essays they are very helpful. I do use Posemaniacs some but I haven't heard of Pixelovely I'll deffinatley be checking that out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Howdy folks. I've had today off work, so it's been a day of study & practice. Trying to get my head around arms and drawing with my Bamboo and here's a few digital studies. One day I'll get round to scanning my drawings. One day.....

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those latest studies are nice! bridgman references?!
    maybe you should try to use harder edges in your environments. try it ) and keep on uploading! let's have a nice and fluid start

Art is beautiful, but requires a lot of work. Karl Valentin

sketchbook | deviantArt | twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nianto View Post
    those latest studies are nice! bridgman references?!
    maybe you should try to use harder edges in your environments. try it ) and keep on uploading! let's have a nice and fluid start
    Thanks! They're actually from Michael Hampton's figure drawing book, which I found the easiest to get to grips with.

Thanks for the pointer on landscapes. I think I'll try more angular, edgy brushes too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII'MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM BAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCK!

With plenty to post. Got a shiny new Intuos yesterday so I've been giving the thing a test drive. It's worlds apart from my ancient Bamboo One.

Name:  skulls.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  81.6 KB
    Name:  merpgreyscale2.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  115.5 KB
    Name:  SMILER.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  91.5 KB
    Name:  030912.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  447.5 KB
    Name:  030912c.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  128.4 KB
    Name:  030912b.jpg
Size:  214.5 KB
    Name:  030912e.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  94.8 KB
    Name:  030912d.jpg
Size:  167.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey space cadet!!! lol ;P welcome to the gang of intuos users!!!
    lovely new stuff you have! and you are brave for doing that architecture study! I'd run! RUN FOR THE HILLS! lol
    by the way what is your set up for intuos. intuos settings wise and photoshop wise. as in have you set your brush opacity to pen pressure, etc and have you set your buttons on your wacom to hotkeys you often use, like undo, increase/decrease brush size, colour picker etc.
    makes the motion of digital drawing much smoother and less interaction with the keyboard.
    all the best!

If I happen to comment on your sketchbook, please don't feel obliged to comment on mine. use that time instead to get back to work.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to luthertaylor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers Luther I have to admit that I was questioning my own sanity whilst starting those architecture studies, but once I got going it wasn't that bad. I've spent a while tweaking my intuos & settings to my liking and all is gravy. I love being able to change brush size, zoom, undo and pan the image without faffing with the keyboard.

It's been a while since I poked my nose in here and I've managed to get a lot done in the time I've been away. Here are some of the juicier pieces of work. I also have a big pile of more boring drawings like hand studies and whatnot here: http://community.imaginefx.com/forum...ad.aspx#383550 because I'm too damn lazy to upload.

Name:  excitible-boy.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:  Gene-Tierney.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  69.5 KB

Name:  voodoo.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  99.1 KB

until next time folks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been woefully neglectful of this thread since CA rebooted. I'll try to buck my ideas up and post here more often. For now some more drawings.

Name:  vroom0001.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  51.3 KB
    Name:  vroom0002.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  48.0 KB
    Name:  vroom0003.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  52.8 KB
    Name:  vroom0004.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  143.5 KB
    Name:  vroom0005.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  145.2 KB
    Name:  vroom0006.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  95.0 KB
    Name:  vroom0007.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  131.2 KB

Last edited by SpaceJelly; February 15th, 2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Bugger!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice, lots of issues here, but nothing a whole heap of drawing won't fix. keep killing it

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RyanRyan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanRyan View Post
    very nice, lots of issues here, but nothing a whole heap of drawing won't fix. keep killing it
    Thanks for the encouragement. My perspective skills are in dire need of attention at the moment. Good job I like drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed with the perspective.
    I can actually see that you are really trying with the anatomy but the perspective is holding you back.
    I had the same problem, I thought anatomy was my problem but it really was putting the anatomy into a perspective grid.
    maybe look at some photos and try to find the horizon and perspective points ( not just buildings but also humans/vehicles...)
    It really helps you get a sense of space

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Xelar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Xelar, I'll remember that about humans & vehicles. I'm slowly begining to understand perspective but it's gonna take a lot of work for me to get a handle on it. Like you say gaining a 'sense of space' will be crucial. I've been doing a few still lifes recently to build on my observational skills too as this is an area where I really fall down. Hopefully with persistance I'll get it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a WIP that I've been struggling with for a while now. I normally go straight into using colour with my digital work but I had it suggested to me that I should try working in greyscale and the add the colour after. But I seem to be having problems with adding the colour. I've tried doing it a few different ways but it seems to end up looking false, especially when I use different layer blending modes to overlay the colour. I was wondering if any of you guys could lend me some advice. I was hoping to go with warm colours and cooler shadows.

Name:  excitible-boy2.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  40.1 KB

Name:  excitible-boy-TEST.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  43.9 KB

Thanks muchly in advance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This weekends efforts. Trying to wrap my tiny brain around thinking in 3D and improving persepctive. Going to attempt to draw cars next. Anyone know any good sources of reference bar Auto-Trader

Name:  febski0001.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  171.5 KB
    Name:  febski0003.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  98.3 KB
    ]Name:  febski0004.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  78.5 KB
    Name:  febski0006.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  142.5 KB
    Name:  febski0008.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  186.0 KB

Last edited by SpaceJelly; March 2nd, 2013 at 04:02 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I see lots of progress in these two pages, great job! what can i say? thank you for sharing.

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great light

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackDelphin View Post
    I see lots of progress in these two pages, great job! what can i say? thank you for sharing.
    Thanks very much. I'm glad others are seeing progress in my work as I don't often see it myself. Wood for the trees and all that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eventhough I can't give you any advice, I just wanted to stop by your sketchbook to gush at your work.
    It looks like you're doing pretty well

And I definitely like the creatures you come up with. I could picture some of them as designer toys. At least, that's the vibe I get from them.

Keep it up! And good luck with the perspective! If you're going to draw cars, you might want to look at Scott Robertson's book "How to Draw Cars the Hot Wheels Way " (or any of the tutorials he does), a lot of people seem to recommend it.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ebi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks Ebi. I'm happy you like the critters. It'd be really cool to see some of 'em as toys. Deffo something to think about in the future. I'm sure I remember hearing that they do 3D printing in my area now. Hmmmmmm.....

I've been watching a couple of Scott Robertson's vids on Youtube & they are pretty informative. I haven't heard of the book though, thanks for pointing that out. With a name like "How to Draw Cars the Hot Wheels Way " it's got to be worth a look!

Thanks again for stopping by.

I really should scan this weeks drawings in but that means moving out of my seat. Nah!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More sketches from this week.

Need more practice on arms & legs. And drawing 3D objects. I bought 'Sketching, The Basics', which has really helped my understanding so far. The drawing of the car is actually a toy car that I have as I thought it would be better starting by drawing from life. And I don't own a real car so that had to do >.< I didn't to too well drawing the damn thing but I think a few things clicked into place during the process.

Name:  march0001.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  march0002.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  234.0 KB

Name:  march0006.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  120.6 KB

Name:  march0008.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  114.1 KB

Name:  march0010.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  149.4 KB

Next week I'll be doing more arms, legs,full body poses and gestures. I suck at gestures and don't really get what I'm doing. I'll also be drawing more objects and working on my perspective.

Last edited by SpaceJelly; March 10th, 2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: pressed the wrong fugging button.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And some digital stuff from before that I forgot to post. Random stuff really.

Name:  decc0005.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  158.8 KB
    Name:  expl2.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  67.0 KB
    Name:  face111.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  28.3 KB
    Name:  lazerdog.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  110.0 KB
    Name:  maus.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  109.0 KB
    Name:  tibhd.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  67.0 KB
    Name:  wesley.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  254.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there! what a wonderful sketchbook! i like your colors alot and so much variety in characters!

thank you so much for stopping by my SB!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to rumpenstiltzkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoooa is your stuff ever looking great. You've improved leaps and bounds since you started working on volume, and your lines are always really energetic and expressive. I love your insect studies especially!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Clur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Clean work on the lines once more, it's a constant treat for my eyes, thanks!
    The car studies look ok, perhaps try doing it again and see what can be done better
    in the process. I usually see progress this way as well.

Also I like how you construct with red or other colour pencil underneath.
    Other than that, I think your colour schemes could use some more working on,
    study light and colour more.

Cheers!

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Cristina Zabava For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ah we meet again my nemesis.

thanks so much guys!

BlackDelphin - you're right about the colour schemes. I plan to work that out once I've gotten to a comfortable point with my drawing. I thought it would be better to fix the problems with my drawing before moving more of my focus on to colour. I don't get too much time to work on my art at the moment, though I have been chipping away at colour off and on, it just feels like I'm polishing a turd when moving on to colour/light before I have vanquished my drawing demons. Perhaps these feelings are unfounded. I think I could squeeze in some colour time at the weekends.

Here's this weeks efforts. I decided to focus quite a bit on how the neck & head attach to the torso as this seems to be something that has been baffling me for some time. Same with how the arms attach to the torso. Making a few studies has helped but I reckon I need to spend more time on this. Also included are some random doodlings because all work and no play makes Rachel go crazy.

Name:  chop-job1.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  149.8 KB

Name:  chop-job2.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  125.2 KB

Name:  chop-job3.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  142.0 KB

Name:  chop-job4.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  117.1 KB

36. The Following User Says Thank You to SpaceJelly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have improved vastly! Long time, hope you are well! keep at it lady!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great! Weekend fun fun colour time haha
    And I think you're taking colours a bit to serious, just have fun with them!
    Use photoshop and try tings out, use a colour wheel and see where it goes.

What I also like to do, is look at varous paint textures or other images that have
    an interesting colour scheme and remember to try such a combination. You can look
    and apply right away as well. Do what has to be done in the beginning, until you feel
    it is more comfortable.
    And the trick with comfort zones is actually that we always have to be out of them to
    improve. I myself have said what you have said, but I came to the conclusion that
    not comfort, but exploration brings us further in our mission.

ps. i like that first car, sexy contrasting values. more art, more! looking forward to it heh

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Agent White over and out

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDelphin View Post
    Great! Weekend fun fun colour time haha
    And I think you're taking colours a bit to serious, just have fun with them!
    Use photoshop and try tings out, use a colour wheel and see where it goes.
    I think that is the first time I've ever been accused of taking something too seriously! Thanks for the tips, sometimes I need to remember that I actually enjoy the act of drawing and exploring.

Anyway, this weeks efforts. I've returned to drawing hands and trying to find a way of constructing them that I gel with. At the moment it's a bastardized version of the Loomis & Michael Hampton methods. Not totally sure it's working >.< I still don't completely get doing the finger tips in perspective but I'm trying to work it out myself rather than jumping straight to the books/Google. It at least gives my brain some exercise during a dull day at the office.

Also very much liking the new look CA.org

Name:  apr0001.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  144.1 KB

Name:  apr0012.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  352.2 KB

Name:  apr0016.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  232.0 KB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast