Thanks
    Thanked 2,569 Times in 1,606 Posts

Hobbit movie concept art in 3D

Alan Lee and John Howe do concept art for the new Hobbit movie in 3D. John does the red, Alan does the blue, and Peter Jackson looks at the result through anaglyph specs. It's totally wicked. Even though I am not quite sure whether they did this kind of parallel stereo drawing to show off in the documentary, and actually worked separately... it is still totally wicked.

Seen in this piece of video blog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHF536TJ0iE

(There is a sample of combined anaglyph drawing at about 9:45 into the video, and the preceding sequence shows the artists working.)

(P.S. The longer I am thinking of it, the more I am inclined to think it was a joke, and I've been had. Kudos to the Hobbit team, remind me to buy them a beer if our paths ever cross.)
    Last edited by arenhaus; November 5th, 2011 at 04:54 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I hope you realize it was a cheeky joke, right?
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timpaatkins View Post
    I hope you realize it was a cheeky joke, right?
    Lol, I would hope so!
    Seems like it would be an incredible waste of time to have two artists sit next to each other and identically draw the same thing in a different color, when you could easily draw the drawing once, go into photoshop and change the color to blue and red in about 30 seconds.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    I was just sitting there thinking... Wait.... whaaa.... .... how... ..... why......

lol you would have to be incredibly ridiculous artists just to be able to copy one anothers drawing side by side perfectly enough to be 3D in that way. Based on the music that started playing when they explained it think they're playing a joke too haha.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    As long as they have a non-3D option at the theaters, I'm happy.

3D = instant nausea for me. I don't know why, but I saw just a few seconds of a trailer in 3D and I had to get out. My mom managed to get a refund because we didn't even actually see the film.

Edit: 4:20 in = ROFL

8. The Following User Says Thank You to velderia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think the whole team have a great wicked sense of humor, especially Peter Jackson, remember the last vid? I really enjoy watching them. Man if I had been in LotR and not in The Hobbit, id be green with jealousy right now!
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    DONT GET ME STARTED!
    I HATE 3D, it is SO terrible!
    It blows my fucking mind how anyone can enjoy a movie properly when its all in your face and jumping around and ... UHRHHGH!
    GOD! I hate it SO MUCH!!

GRAUUAUURRURUR!

*goes into a rage and breaks things*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 438 Posts
    Man I can't wait for this film! And seeing this video makes me wanna be part of a team like that so much.. Seems like tremendous fun. All the documentary material from the LOTR DVDs did the same. It must be the coolest job in the world to be on that team.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Serpian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm not a fan of 3D films but this is one I'd consider, since I think Jackson is the type who would use it to its potential.
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,569 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Well, now that I thought about it twice I agree it was a joke and I completely fell for it. Serves me right.

Then again, their 3D tech is so experimental, I stopped knowing what to expect!

The interesting part about the way they do 3D is that they are paying attention to the eye convergence. This should make it feel more "real" and natural than naive placement of two cameras side by side. It might even alleviate the problems like dizziness or headaches that a small minority of viewers experience while watching 3D film.

3D is a great tool if you use it right. Most people who jumped on the 3D bandwagon don't have a clue on how to use it, to them it's just the fad/buzzword that increases the film's popularity. The worst offender is post-processed 3D, converted from 2D footage, which always looks subtly wrong no matter how well it is done. The second next is the reliance on stupid gimmicks like sticking things out of the screen.

For a sample of how 3D can be used for constructive purposes, consider Avatar. Cameron used it the same way 2D cinema uses lens focus, but it surpasses simple focal blur by far. Avatar follows the "window" look, nothing ever sticks out of the screen, so immersion is perfect. 3D is used to underscore depth, scale and perspective. And 3D allows the picture to have foreground, middle ground and background be present simultaneously and interplay. Consider shots like the perspective of the exterior and interior of the Venture Star, the passing of the shuttle over the quarry, the floating mountains flythrough, or the prison scene where the characters are seen through the perforated glass, for illustrations of these things.

Thanks
    I, for one, love 3d in movies, and seeing this makes me wet my pants. I just can't wait haha!

Thanks
    I'm getting old, the sight of a major motion picture shot with a RED digital camera makes me long for the days of celluloid.

I'll leave this world for the next generation of kids, whose brains are binary anyway...

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    I hated 3d movies before i got my 60 inch 3d tv too
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    definitely didn't get that it was a joke, definitely an idiot, really wanna see this movie, fine with 3d

Thanks
    If you want to see the combined picture better than in the video, you can see it together with some photos of Peter, Alan and John in Peter Jacksons gallery on facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/PeterJacksonNZ?sk=photos