Naked wolf lady - help please!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Naked wolf lady - help please!

So I'm getting stuck into this, but I can't seem to get the interaction between the two figures working right. I was wondering if anyone had some insight? Anything else you'd like to mention is cool too. It would be great if someone had a usefull reference pic, I just really can't find one. Horses etc. only help to an extent- the wolf is a fair bit bigger.

Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sketchbook - Deviantart
    - Dodgy Website
    Critique always welcome!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The wolf's face is really flat. There's no sense of depth that the muzzle would be extending from the face. I'd also re-check the girl's facial anatomy too. Especially her mouth seems lopsided and considering the title says "lady" but the head proportion says this is a pretty young girl I'd re-check that too depending on which you meant.
    As for the pose, I'd rather take a camera or recruit a friend or family member to pose for you while sitting on top of a bunch of pillows or something.

Name:  mononoke.JPG
Views: 678
Size:  269.2 KB
    Name:  princess1.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  68.2 KB
    remember that the back is really wide, so depending on her pose she'd have to spread her legs lot more to sit comfortably.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 735 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I kind of like it.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I kind of like it.
    Me too.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for this, Tinybird! Lady is a bit of a misnomer, going for more of a weird skinny wood-sprite sort of chick than a real woman. Hence crazy eyes. She has a lot of issues but I'll try and figure them out.

Hah you're totally right about the mouth. I've been staring at it and not seeing that it's really tiny on the right side of her face. Thanks for the pics too, but tbh the way she sat on those wolves really bothered me through that whole movie, and I'm not sure why. I guess it felt just kind of weird that she'd keep her knees so high without having stirrups...

I'll do something 'bout the muzzle, promise, gotta sleep first, actually. Oops.

Thanks others for saying nice things, g'night

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Might be wrong, but probably the reason it does not seem is right to you is because in the back of your mind you know the Wolf lady is in wrong position if sat astride the Wolf.

If you scaled up the dinosaur in Gurneys image, the character riding would be obscured by the head/neck. Same effect if you scaled up a horse/wolf etc with a rider.

Name:  3203111769_308e0fc716.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  108.3 KB

For ref help, try Dinotopia, films like Lord Of Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter.

Last edited by Charlie D; November 4th, 2011 at 09:21 AM.
    Learning to see

"...the ideas are what matter most" Doug Chiang

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you can't find images, use modeling software.

You don't need to model a Wolf or Character. All you need to do is reduce your character/animal to the simple primitives like cubes/cylinders to help you with these kind of problems.

http://www.blender.org/

http://sketchup.google.com/

Last edited by Charlie D; November 4th, 2011 at 09:39 AM.
    Learning to see

"...the ideas are what matter most" Doug Chiang

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I really like this idea. you're going in the right direction with the wolf, I think, though the difference in size between him and the girl is a bit off for me. Maybe make her a bit bigger if you can.

I think what might work better with the wolf's head is if you show the ears. I konw they're supposed to be tucked back but you'd still see them and without them, he looks kind of naked.

I did a quick google and found this photo. It's not exactly like yours and facing the wrong way, but it shows how you could get the same snarling expression without having to chop the ears off.

(I imagine this is a copyrighted image so don't copy it - just use as source)

Good luck!

Edit; Damn! Photo wont show. I'll keep trying...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Candra H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, forget what I said about showing the ears. I just found this -

Snarling Wolf

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Candra H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    one thing i would mention is the fact that wolves don't run like horses. the way the spine moves is very diffrent from a horses.I dont know if you have the special extended edition of lord of the rings The Two Towers, but if you do or know someone who does watch the bonus disks. On them they talk about the difficulties they had with the wargs. (which are wolves) and go into detail about how to place a rider on an animal which "haunches" as it runs.

dogs move much the same way as wolves but i doubt you will find it easy to strap a gi joe to one.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jyoung For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Getting there... muzzle looks a bit dodge-and-burny now because I dodge and burned it. But I'll work back in.

I'm happier with the position now, I brought her knee up, spread the legs a little more, added some more wolf-body on the right so it looks slightly more side-on. Looks less like she's sitting off-center now... I might try and render it and see if it comes good once the fur interaction is established. Here's hoping.
    Lesson learned anyway: Don't skip the proper sketch -.-

Thanks everyone who's commented in the meantime, y'all are champs.

Charlie: this was super helpful. I realised I really felt like she was leaning to her left too much.

Candra: I chucked in a little bit of ear for you, I think it might be right? Not sure. I think in the second pic you posted you can see a some ear, but it's obscured by being black.

Jyoung: This sounds amaaazing. I wish I had this on hand... I'll ask my friends if they have it because I can't seem to find it on youtube.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sketchbook - Deviantart
    - Dodgy Website
    Critique always welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Springly--I can see a few issues I have with this piece but I'm something of an amateur myself so feel free to disagree.

The width of the wolf is far too large for her to sit that way. She could hang off the side, but then her right leg would lie on the wolf's back and it would be implied by her pose. Right now, her pose looks as if her leg is just like the left one, hanging off the other side of the wolf. I hope that makes sense.

Also, with the wolf's face, his right eye is entirely too flat. The angle it creates with his muzzle is too sharp and makes the face asymmetrical. Hope this helps!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to akkibox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the effect the muzzle has right now is that of a sadistic smile. Snarling is emphasized by furrows between the eyes. These furrows crease their way down the muzzle. a more ragged curl of the upper lip would also give a better snarl.

The jaw of your wolf hangs a little off to the left aswell. This you likely intended but it humanizes the expression and makes it look less viscious and more impish in character.

Deviantart: "finished" work

Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.