Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spartan Camp #201 - 50 gestures + Optional "Figure Form Analysis"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,592 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Spartan Camp #201 - 50 gestures + Optional "Figure Form Analysis"

Spartan Camp #201 - 50 gestures + Optional "Figure Form Analysis"

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 13th of November.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Figure Form Analysis", in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study:

The background:
    In order to understand the form of the human body and to be able to construct our own figures, we need to be able to to represent these shapes. When we draw these shapes, we represent a 3d figure on a 2d surface. Added to this comes the complexity of foreshortening and perspective. That's why we try to simplify a figure by breaking it down in a way that is easier to understand.

The exercise:
    Take a reference image of a figure/model of your choice. Then draw the figure as if it were built up of big geometrical shape. You could treat it like a mannequin. The purpose is to create shapes that you think represent the form.

Examples:
    "Figure shape drawing" in Google
    The 3rd and 4th image on this page.
    Most of the preview images from this page.
    Or your Loomis/Bridgman book! They both use this technique.

Disclaimer: If anyone's enrolled in the TAD Explore course; that's where I got the inspiration!

As always- reference advised, not obligatory. Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are up to you! Good luck and have fun! And feel free to ask questions!

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Criticizing each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference images and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #200

Azimuth
    shiNIN
    ashess
    Obacmar
    dracken
    Anthis
    Dr Motherplaguer
    darkops
    MusicMetalHead
    Kellye
    Little-Maiden
    Strato

Last edited by Anthis; November 8th, 2011 at 05:40 PM.

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,592 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation

- Optional study will be there tomorrow!
    - The next deadline is the 13th. This is because last week sort of included the Self-Portrait day.
    - Critique has been added for most of you (so far) in last week's thread!

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so not knowing which direction to take, decided to do some sketching for this weeks chow which is a driad. wanted a classic look with horns on top. heres what I got
    Attachment 1357640

Attached Images Attached Images  
    >>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I took a break from poses and i realized i like digital painting more from photo

ASHESS_hmm...i tried it a little, i don't know. will see

SHININ_well the thing that makes me fell good is when my poses are complete and look descent...yea your right people differ. you like drawing with your hand... i on the other hand like sticking then pen in my nose and trying to do 60 secs............... JK

LITTLE MAIDEN_ DAM its a dam...like thous pro poses...were did you get the ref?oh i don't think i ever tried to feel the movement i just what it to come out cool or to my liking

STRATO_Yea...ill work on it..nice on thous poses too... the thing with me is my hand doesn't like clean flowing lines...DAM u hand ill train u like a dog

ANTHIS_Ill keep it up...what? no star :{ i demand to know how to get one smiling star!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to darkops For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, tonight I tried to approach my gestures from a completely different angle. I attempted to define the figure in as few strokes as possible. 90% of them blow, but I feel like I'm learning which lines are most important to defining forms. Am I correct in thinking that it's where the figure overlaps itself?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @darkops- haha! I never said you'd like it but working in strong opposing colors makes the mistakes stand out better, som eventually you' ll learn faster. Those stills rock btw!
    @strato never thought to think on a system for finding which lines are important. I usually go for either the spinal colum or a contour line calling attention to itself (usually bc it flows) or maybe a pair or set of lines opposing eachother.

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi people... I simply stopped drawing again it seems... When I rested enough after spending way too many cold hours on the bike, the world became a thick light gray mess (dense fog) and as I need air, water, food and solar energy to function, I'm in zombie mode, I don't even use my computer (I use my boyfriend's. Nice big wide monitor... I have regrets getting a not wide one with a tablet that suited it...). I don't plan to draw humans for a while anyway, I need to do enviros.
    But I'll bring something, especially sketches and finished old studies. I have too many wips

darkops: Offtopic crits, fruits has nothing to do with Spartan Camp, after all The blberries are nice, the lemon isn't realistic, I guess it's the almost complete lack of contrast, even if there are plenty of scattered light, they should have a bit more contrast. The pumpkin is in between, there are good parts but it could use more contrast too.
    The lil shining star is for the optional, I don't know if you did one, Spartan Camp is kind of crazy lately, I can't keep track of my own posts either anymore

Strato: There are different methods, I know the one with overlapping forms myself, sometimes I use it (but my favourite is a simplified skeleton with correct sized and shaped main masses). I don't have a link to show what I talk about, though...
    Keep experimenting There are several methods, find the one that suits you best.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ashess - chow wips look stylish no4 his right arm/shoulder looks off, either its a really long humerus or his shoulder should be twisted further away from us towards his head

Strato - can certainly see development as those pages go on. Something must be clicking in your perception of form

darkops - nice paintings, poses are interesting kinda like silhouettes

Not much yet but i've not been lazy i swear! Feeling wonderfully motivated all i need now is focus. Here's what ive got done today before i hit the gym. Might go for some heads or skeleton constructions this week, for now its time to crash out.

Sketchbook
    Old sketchbook

I used to talk to myself. Prick thinks he's too good for me now

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Azimuth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've participated only once before in the Spartan Camp challenge, and really loved it. Since I'm concentrating on anatomy and figure studies I'll participate once more and try to participate in the future spartan camp challenges!

I'll also try to critique for the benefit of others, I'm just not very good at it :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

garbage day

All up in dat camp again
    Continuing the "Way of the Mannikin" I'm drawing a little bit slower, and bigger, adding some more lines to the structure.

Ashess - I like the line quality in these ones. #3 looks like Michael's Creation I Like the form of the muscles too
    Darkops - The color studies are great! Maybe define more forms in the gesture?
    Strato - Yes! those last 2 are definite improvement. It's working.
    Azimuth - Oh those flow lines @_@ ! Love em

LVL 4 MERMAN!

Last edited by Obacmar; November 4th, 2011 at 02:24 PM.
    - [- ------------- ---------- ---- - SketchbooK- - ------------ -----------------

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Obacmar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some further experimentation with defining only the most important lines I can see. I'm hoping to apply this to my regular more volumetric style, and get somewhere. That being said, this is a LOT of fun.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Strato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Strato - looking better and better
    Obracmar - heh i take it those are your neighbours? totally flashed to rear window

oh and merman?

Not very happy with my head constructions. Need more!

Sketchbook
    Old sketchbook

I used to talk to myself. Prick thinks he's too good for me now

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azimuth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @azimuth- the no 4 was a copy off ref michaelangelo too, and I dont think I made the arm any longer then inthe picture. but I totally get what you're saying. the entire picture looks a bit off to me. I think it's because I had trouble understanding what was going on. I just kindof copied where every thing was, but didnt really 'get' what was going on behind the drawing.
    I like your line figures; very rythmic. some migth be getting too short in the legs, like no 5 and 8. the heads, good arithmetic approach, but I think you want to put the eye sockets halfway the entire face, not just half waht the ball. also your chin line defiates very strongly. sometimes it recedes, but very often you let it stick out. no 10 makes it go to 1 side. use the lower line of the eye sockets to guide our chin line.

@kerah- welcome, show us some stuff!

@obacmar: pin-pong! you win a prize. those reffed ones were all migaelangelo works. nice action on your taking out the trash guys. 3 and 4 might be a bit short in the lower back. the garderner no 8 def has short legs.
    @strato- good job; first page has first too short & other too a bit thin. last one is awesome though!

heres mine. tried not to ref anything; and not to use too many lines. still grabbed the eraser some times. last is from life.
    Name:  Untitlegd-1.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  64.9 KB

>>mah tumbr

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

52/50

Maybe I'll do some studies later...

Sketchbook

''The problem with quotes from the internet is that it is difficult to verify their authenticity'' - Abraham Lincoln

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Guardian G.I. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful Sundae up here in Ontario

A few in the real paper and some on the digital papes. The flyfishing was real fun, I noticed fly-fishermen really like wearing a Indiana Jones hat.

Strato - I think those last 2 read the best
    Azimuth - LOL yeah I'm perving my neighbors with a sketchbook. awesome.. I wish Yeh the heads look a little distorted, maybe too much construction lines?
    ashess - OOOooOOO I like prizes. 7 is a great perspective & 10 has allot of character. I think your heads are too wide sometimes.
    Guardian G.I. -Real productive Most have decent proportions. The progression is very interesting too Some limbs could use more flow and less lines

- [- ------------- ---------- ---- - SketchbooK- - ------------ -----------------

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Obacmar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @guardian -maybe you'll do studies later? what did you do here? cat fish?
    altough, I think you might want to slow down first, and actually do study.. every drawing you do should be a study, dont you agree? I think you'r kind of rushing now. never mind getting all 50 in, just look and understand what you see, then draw it.

@obacmar- fly fish are nice! though as I think I said I have trouble gauging it they are the right proportions when it's just bones. I like thedevine inspired 10-12 ones too. nice lighting & solid shapes. and here I can tell the proportions are about right. well, 12's legs might be a bit long...about my heads.. maybe its too much back ofthe head for grown-ups. and not enough jaw?

and without further ado, the thing we've all been waiting for -finally!- more b abies!(and toddlers ofc)
    Name:  IMG_1722.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  81.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1723.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  68.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1724.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  63.4 KB

Last edited by ashess; November 6th, 2011 at 03:33 PM.
    >>mah tumbr

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone, This is my the first post in Spartan Camp. Here it is.

ashess ,the babies look very good. I think 16 could be wider.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Obacmar: I really enjoy your skeletons this week too... I didn't know skeletons who throws out garbage can be this much fun to look at...

Hi people, I had some inactive days and now, as always, I face the fact I can't draw a single figure sketch in an hour or two. I avoid blindless copying, therefore I try to construct the figure and it gets messed up.
    My portrait got better a bit, still no good, the mouth is totally messed up despite the fact I worked on it a lot. It's a difficult portrait. Their difficulty differ so much. Some portraits are so easy, one hour is enough for a sketchier version with a good resemblance, other times a single feature costs as much.
    I didn't work on it much yet, though, I dunno, somewhere below 2 hour? I didn't look at the clock

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN Nice portrait you got there.
    Do you work in color from the beginning, or you put the values in black and white before adding colors?

Also, hands.

Last edited by Guardian G.I.; November 7th, 2011 at 03:34 PM.
    Sketchbook

''The problem with quotes from the internet is that it is difficult to verify their authenticity'' - Abraham Lincoln

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Guardian G.I. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone, this is my the first entry for Spartan Camp. I started with basic figure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

grrls

Here's some for today. I hope to have some more later this evening. Kinda over worked them

Ashess - I think the babies studies are giving you a unique style, keep it up. I noticed allot of the sketches are above, you might want to get right down on the floor

shiNIN - I think that's a great portrait. The details are superb, ie. the frilly neck tie? I would add more definition in the hair.. maybe? It's really hard to crit this, It's too awesome.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Obacmar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Obacmar: Excellent sketches! Number 30 is the best.
    I don't see any significant flaws in here (my 7,5 months of experience make any kind of nit-picking incredibly difficult).
    Your graphite stuff from #15 is pretty nice too.

Sketchbook

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Guardian G.I. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres my dump of 50 gestures like last Spartan Camp.

This time its all female though, next 50 ill do all male *shudder*

Some are 4mins some are 10 mins. The last bunch are anywhere from 15min to 30 mins to an hour. All started with the basic 60-90 second geometric style gesture.

Also, at the top is a quick 30-45 min study from a photo. I think her face is a little wonky since speed painting symmetrically is not my forte at all.

Crits to come in my next post! (probs in a day or so)

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little-Maiden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some manikins will die

As promised some more from my life drawing group.

Little Maiden - Those gestures are really, REALLY nice. The consistency is what I admire most.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Obacmar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @littleMaiden: ack! are you trying to clobber us to death with an excess of good drawings? lets see... very goodstuff here. particularly like you shading. I admit, was definitely inspired by that in my bunch of drawing here. the swung in your lines is just fantastic in some of these.. 50 has to be my favourite (girl on the chair). but I also like 45; most are pretty good though.

@obacmar: nice! really like no 40. good strong lines & shading.

heres mine. felt like I wasgetting the proportions way wrong in digital, so went for pen & paper after 4. didnt help much though;that arm on the last one is way too big!
    Name:  unj.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  61.4 KB

Name:  scan0561.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  35.4 KB

Name:  scan0562.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  34.4 KB

Name:  scan0563.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  38.7 KB

Name:  scan0564.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  42.8 KB

>>mah tumbr

45. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ashess- Nice variety 31 has a "mega arm" hehe. The Horse in 25 is really good, look at the flowing lines and the muscle structure, beauty!

Little-Maiden - On closer inspection #95 would be my favorite if not for that wierd lumpy right leg. (poor girl ;P)

Today I spent 3 hrs in a waiting room, with my little note book and a pen. It was close quarters, 41 and 50 were onto me when they caught me studying them I would look around and wait for their attention to change. What a fun game, I wonder what they are thinking when they notice me drawing them. If i saw someone drawing me I would be all like .."Wuzzzzup brother lemmy see dat shit!" hehehehe
    anyways.
    Done 50..sooooo onto figure form analysis ? huuumm, sounds scientific. To the laboratory!

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Obacmar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had some time tonight, so some stuff.
    Not sure if I can get more in this week or not..

The Law of Fives states simply that: All things happen in fives, or are divisible by or are multiples of five, or are somehow directly or indirectly appropriate to 5
    The Law of Fives is never wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKatrdKvBkc

Sketchbook : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=196859

49. The Following User Says Thank You to samming For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @obacmar- good practise. you might want to work on your line quality a bit.
    @samming- proportions are good, but they allturn out plasticy. maybe use some less blendy brushes?
    kids in pen on a4. early morning *yawn*

>>mah tumbr

51. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

>>mah tumbr

53. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

form?

The difference of definition between form and shape has always caused a bit of confusion for me. Here Is what I think is form analysis - Mr. Bridgeman studies of the trunk. Correct me if I'm wrong .

Samming - Nice renders, especially the bottom RT.

Ashess - #38 is great proportions and perspective. Try 10% flow on your PS brush

55. The Following User Says Thank You to Obacmar For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1