WIP of Il Cervello Character

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ...Is this a man or a woman? The musculature and lack of visible breasts kinda says man, but the hair and body shape says woman, and the face is kinda both. Did you use reference?
    Also where is your lightsource? The face and hair are lit from different sides.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't want to have to do this, but it looks like it might be necessary. The hair and the face are lit from the left side and yes it is a man. If you look at the unfinished painting you can see that the left side of the face has a stronger light source then the right and so the hair follows the left light source. The upper body is definitely a man due to the shoulders, muscles and the lack of breasts. Once you said is it a man or woman I immediately saw that the left hip looked a little too curved and big, so I will fix that once I continue to work on it. Please keep in mind that not only woman have long hair and are beautiful...lol. I sort of used reference for the face but mostly from imagination. I needed to see how shadow fell under the cheek bones. But, nonetheless I appreciate the questions because they got me thinking.

Thank you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dionicpaint View Post
    The hair and the face are lit from the left side and yes it is a man. If you look at the unfinished painting you can see that the left side of the face has a stronger light source then the right and so the hair follows the left light source.
    Actually, the face is lit pretty much from the direction of the viewer, and the fair is lit from the side. there's no highlights in the hair in the same places as the face does (for example, his nose is fully lit, but his forehead is not) and I'd really suggest you mirror your image occasionally. All his features are pointing upwards. Check out the Loomis books for drawing heads: http://alexhays.com/loomis/

Please keep in mind that not only woman have long hair and are beautiful...lol
    It's not the long hair, it's the bangs. If a guy is wearing the same hair-do as I did when I was five and wore a frilly dress with pink bows in my hair, it's going to look questionable. And in any case I would recommend using a proper reference to that hair too.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TinyBird; November 1st, 2011 at 05:35 AM.
    Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I appreciate your time taken to look at my work, but I honestly don't see why you redrew the face....??? His features are meant to be pointing upwards because his head is tilted upwards. I also mirror my image a lot . I have the loomis books in my library and I haven't really looked at the all too much yet. Oh and I like the hair...lol. Thank you once again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    because his head is tilted upwards.
    Then shouldn't we see at least some of the underside of his chin? Not to mention that his nose is still crooked to the side, he has a weird lump in the back of his head and his other eye is way higher than the other. basically the construction of his head is completely mangled.
    Name:  man_looking_up_13860133.jpg
Views: 1434
Size:  43.2 KB

Name:  young_man_looking_up_portrait_bmf00334.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  32.1 KB
    (tilted in the different direction though)

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

You are very adamant, but nothing is wrong with the angle of his face. The second picture is the angle that fits my painting. You don't need to see the underside of his chin because his head is not tilted that high up. He doesn't have a weird lump his hair is being pulled down and blown by the wind that's why it is up in that one spot. His nose follows the line and curve of his face and body. It is simply a curved line. Yes his eye is a little higher than the other. I will fix that before the final version. Thank you for the criticism.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are very adamant, but nothing is wrong with the angle of his face. The second picture is the angle that fits my painting.
    EVERYTHING is wrong and lopsided about the angle of your subject's face. Redraw it.. if you would like your painting to read correctly.

"Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My DeviantArt Profile: http://dyspezzia.deviantart.com/
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.pezzworks.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He doesn't have a weird lump his hair is being pulled down and blown by the wind that's why it is up in that one spot.
    You really don't know how long hair actually works in wind, do you?

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that's a really vague statement and I don't understand what you mean by lopsided. BTW That is NOT constructive criticism that is rudeness. Explain if you are correct please. Just saying it is wrong will not help me.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,320 Times in 1,427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I appreciate your time taken to look at my work, but I honestly don't see why you redrew the face....???
    Get Loomis textbooks, proceed to half a year of practice doing structural drawing and life drawing. Until you learn to see what's wrong with this face.

(Do it with pencil on paper, not Photoshop.)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that's a really vague statement and I don't understand what you mean by lopsided. BTW That is NOT constructive criticism that is rudeness. Explain if you are correct please. Just saying it is wrong will not help me.
    Not really, I hear worse/more every day at art school. Being told everything is wrong with your facial structure in your painting is not rude. It is overly blunt but it is the truth.. since you've refuted previous posts and told TinyBird she's wrong.

It was explained to you previously by TinyBird but here is my redline outlining the structure as you've drawn it.

Name:  redline2.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  271.3 KB

"Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My Portfolio:

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pezz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi matey

I'm very sorry to tell you this but Tinybird crit is bang on as usual, please try to remember that most people who provide crits in this forum are trying to help and yes some hurt.

The other way to look at this is you are doing an illustration of something, you put it out in the world and you are shocked to find that people are not seeing what you do.

Question time :- are the crits all saying the same thing, yes means there is something amis and you need to adress it (in your own way yes but you must! MUST! address the problems). If you dont then the illustration fails and you dont get paid or worse no more work!
    No means its close but subject to everyones random viewpoints, which is a worse place to be in my opinion.
    Finaly Are you getting ass pats? enjoy them you did good!

there is a brilliant thread you should look at too :-
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=219000

all the best matey

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your suggestion. I will pull out my loomis book and get to work more seriously! I don't think it would take that long lol....I've only been drawing seriously for 6 months and have been very confused as to what to do although I've bought many books. Now I must study the many books I have. I will fix the face today and post it! Thank you all for the critique that helps me get better!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! This has really helped. I will fix the head today. First I will draw it in my sketch book then photoshop. Thank you once again....I knew something was wrong with the eyes when I painted it out but I couldn't understand why and I don't know why I didn't look in my loomis book. I can see now speed should not trump correctness. Thank you! This 7 month of drawing seriously will be a productive one and thanks to this thread!

Last edited by dionicpaint; November 3rd, 2011 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo don't worry about it just enjoy the ride! It's fun!

Another guy to check out is Ron Lemen. He did the Imagine FX Anatomy book if I remember correctly. It also has stuff on animal anatomy and body movement mechanics so you can sort of imagine poses and mix human/animal traits to make creatures etc so just something to think about. I think he has some demo videos online?

But yeah for free education you can't beat Loomis and Bridgman studies. Loomis more-so for the rigid constructive approach. Bridgman will keep you loose.

My Portfolio:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It would be nice to fix your attitude as well. TinyBird spent time to give totally proper and true crits. Just because you don't see much contruction problems in your painting, it doesn't mean they don't exist. It's great you don't blindly believe everything people here say but don't believe in our own beginner skills too well either... Well you see know the face need fixing, you may get used to this place
    Cheers. The others said everything I could say about your painting so I stop here.
    (I personally see the face as a woman's. I dunno why, I am well aware men can have pretty and even feminine faces, still, we usually know if we look at a man or a woman... But it's a way more subtle problem than the lopsidedness, I'm looking forward to see your fixed version.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you can only be helped when you are ready to hear help......I've been drawing for 25 years and still don't know my ass from a hole in the ground....drawing is a lifetime passion the more passionate you are about it the more time ie study you will put in....

by the way in case someone cares I figure I didn't really start drawing till I was 13.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

That is very true and thank you. Initially it's hard to accept something when you've worked hard but I didn't construct the head correctly in the sketch. I do want to be helped it was just hard. If you read my comments I have thanked everyone for there help. I've been doing Loomis excercises for the head and will post the updated fixed version of this soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New practices of heads

Hello everyone that has comments and helped me! I have practiced heads with Andrew Loomis and here is a practice image I did tonight:

Attached Images Attached Images  

28. The Following User Says Thank You to dionicpaint For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.