Sketchbook: Wanderer's Sketchbook of [Omninavigation]

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wanderer's Sketchbook of [Omninavigation]

Latest post usually has the latest stuff. Nothing will be deleted.

It's really hard to put this into words without sounding foolish, but I'll try.

I'm Siridean and I like to draw, and have for a long, long time. I want my work to flourish and look appealing, no matter the subject. So this sketchbook will be filled with furry things, fetishy things, concept-y things, ordinary studies from life or things I come up with on the fly, or even bits of of fanfiction, this not being a portfolio or anything. Just a thread filled with things I like.

Truth is, very aware I'm not good at art and detest people who tell me I'm "good" without giving a reason, feeling it deprives me of what may actually make my work better. When it gets right down to it I'm a pretty basic guy: I made, and post in, this sketchbook to embrace my flaws and improve myself. Not to be coddled, gain clout, prove a statement, or land a job at a high paying super-awesome-dream job at x company. I just want to draw to my heart's content.

And so here we are.

Backstory? (December 2012)

My earliest memory of drawing dates back to when I was 3, using rocks on pavement to create white lines and pictures from whatever I saw. Following this I was shouted at for playing in the road, promptly scolded and violently punished. This is the kind of treatment I've had to endure for the years of my childhood and some years beyond into my young adulthood, there not being a long enough time where I was demoralized and/or physically harmed for liking what I did (art included, one such occasion involving a painting I rather liked that was displayed for a number of months after I produced it, only to be taken from me and promptly destroyed by my peers when I was to take it home), this often coming from the bullies and people it shouldn't have came from alike. And this continued on for a long, long time.

I joined CA shortly after getting kicked from college for financial reasons, life hitting another rough spot as I was trying to get it started. For the longest time I lurked, but tried to keep up with the discussion if I was able to contribute (thus the, at this time, four year old account with nary any posts). Throughout the years I've been trying to find ways to make ends meet while participating as best I can here and elsewhere, losing friends due to the occasional break down or lapse in stoicism. No matter what, though, I've pushed through the mental and physical pain suffered for a reason that sort of defines who I am, why I'm here, why I draw the things I do, and why I can't give up on myself or others: I've never had things other people have a surplus of; such as talent, supporting family and/or friends, or resources to throw at a problem; and I came from too much of a messed up background to even imagine that everything will be fine forever one day. But...I understand and have always understood that I know where I should be, and where I can't be.
    1st pic: From Jan 2011
    2nd pic: From September 2012

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by ArtsySiridean; December 21st, 2012 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Addendum
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And some content. For a starting point.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Painting practice from A Beginner's Guide to Digital Painting (an older copy)

The day I learn to paint digitally well, I'm going to be effin' estatic. I'm going to jump up, dance a victory dance that rivals what you see in sports games. Because it will be a goal received that has been much hard fought.

Even though that day is not today, I look forward to it.

Tomorrow will be different.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your drawings

Ooooh, you are using that evil spiral thing... You are a very brave person!
    And maybe I should just finally learn to understand that thing :p

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Trixtar
    Glad you like them, but they're not exactly 'good'. :/

I hardly understand the thing myself, but it seems to have made one pic better. Honestly, I'd say it's something akin to the Doppler Effect for details. At least, according to Wikipedia.

Preparing to leave for work. but I got a slight bit done. I feel I need to work on my anatomy. And brush selection.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I AM STILL WORKING. AND AM MIDLY AWAKE.

Work took a bit of awhile today (working graveyard) and I decided to take a short nap (not being short at all). Problem is, it's starting to get late and I do not feel like not updating for a day when I am productive.

More will come. Also, still gathering brushes.

NOTE ABOUT PIC 1: The dragon pic wasn't colored recently, but on the day the original (and above) pic was made. I just thought I'd show what worth it was in addition to the little I have before tomorrow rolls around. I'm not sure if I ever want to 'finish' the pic, but I do want to redo it someday. It's quite cool in my opinion.

NOTE ABOUT PIC 2: Decided to draw the (relatively) same image using different methods at the start, the first being with what I usually do (sketching roughly before painting over it or leaving it as is while fixing the edges and the frame) with what I've learned recently and have seen others do (drawing with blotches before refining said blotches into a contour-like..thing. Sketching little parts to fix details that otherwise can't be with wider brushes).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Despite not playing this game anymore I've been putzing around with old reference stuff I made and decided to try something new. Had to blow up the image, but I like how this turned out, and what I learned from it.

Working on more stuff to upload that could be considered 'worthy'.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting... I would so like to see your dragon colored

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Trix: I plan on redoing it someday. Trying to color has lead to me seeing what's really wrong with it. But it really is a good pick none the less.

So, it's recommended I do hand studies every day. So in addition to what I've been doing normally, I'm going to throw in some of those. Or just anatomy in general. Something that makes the work flow.

Yes, my nails are really that long. I like them that way. I'm a pretty girl, prove me wrong.

Also drew my new avatar, but that's unimportant, and unfinished.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And some more. That's also not my hand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and more. Only...actually, this is pretty crap. It's like I' drawing the same hand over and over again despite coming from three different material sources, this one in particular showing how short I am on time while, you know, keeping my word on being timely. I can do better than this.

Here's hoping I can expand from here. And probably not get saddled with back to back workdays during graveyard and day shifts, that would be nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When you want something so bad, you really don't stop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

So, after my last few 'drawings' I decided to chill out a bit, as seen by my absence of updates or rushed drawings. Been looking at what I can do to refine what I already know as well as work more time out of the day. Went around town, had a really awesome chat with some tattoo artists, gained insight on my area I couldn't do just by looking at it, and somewhere in there Skyrim and Saints Row 3 was released and I got happily sidetracked.

Somewhere else in there I've come to understand this is all par the course. Finding a balance in pace is important, like not caring that you've let...11 days slip by you.

Cracked open a book I've had for awhile (a physical copy I rescued from a textbook dumpster, among a few other interesting ones. That isn't an exaggeration) that some may recognize. While I'm still working with a few other books and materials for reference, I'm going to let Mr. Nicolaides teach me a few things of the course of a few...somethings.

With all those words out of the way, here's something that's not hand related.

Last edited by ArtsySiridean; November 28th, 2011 at 08:21 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtsySiridean View Post
    Yes, my nails are really that long. I like them that way. I'm a pretty girl, prove me wrong.
    B-but your profile says 'Male'... mind fuck. @_@

Err... Hello, good to see you back at work. You're right that it's really important to find a good balance between things you want to do. Getting happily sidetracked by things is great. It's even more fun when the same thing happens when you're doing art! I've started to get that feeling when working lately and I really enjoy it. Do what you enjoy and enjoy doing it. ^^

The dragon head at the start of the thread looks really solid, nice construction.

If you feel like your drawings are rushed, you could try doing some master studies or life drawings. Take your time and get them spot on and carefully render them as perfect as you can. The recent Bargues I've done have taught me to be a lot more patient.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kitfox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Kitfox

Thanks dood. Patience is, though, something that seems like you never have enough of. You, in particular, have had a great deal of progress and show that you have diligence. It's damn admirable. @_@

Anyhow...Since I'm drawing a lot of gestures drawings, and really can't show those due to the nature of them I only have so few things to show. The coloring isn't as great as I'd like, but it does have some kind of...something going on.

No, that's not a Khajit.

I also need to draw more real people.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a new year. Etcetera.

Something serious and something silly. Will be more serious tomorrow. Without stupid huge pictures this time.

Last edited by ArtsySiridean; January 3rd, 2012 at 12:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Found a couple colors that may not hurt the eyes as much, while leaving room to practice coloring on a grayscale. A small step to applying everything I learn from the former day onto the next, as opposed to little things here and there.

Learning to also be mellow with my work. Not stressing myself when I don't or can't, taking time here and there. Hope it helps in the long run, otherwise I'd better adapt to kicking myself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I've been drawing, but withholding my sketches again since they're...well, they're not good. For instance the thing attached to this bump is 10 days old, done rather organically. But again, I haven't stopped.

No. No, I haven't stopped.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Slight update. Second one isn't based on anything, really.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update with the muscle study. Keep the posting up and try to start thinking about your line quality when sketching. Be confident in your pen stroke.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Tea Drinker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have a lot here this time around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Reddit and those that are willing to share these pictures for reference material.

Also that's a female's tongue.

Last edited by ArtsySiridean; February 26th, 2012 at 08:22 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No sexy images today. Spent a lot of it seeing what I knew of anatomy from memory and reviewing what I know about digital paint (Neither of which is pictured). The good news I'm slightly more competent then a bowl of cornflakes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (continuing from yesterday) And the bad news is that I don't understand the significance of the CTRL+S function until it's too late. At least there are lessons in fail, and here's a bright orange reminder for future reference.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still at it. The bottom picture is a puzzle from a tutorial I was doing.

Last edited by ArtsySiridean; March 1st, 2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Updated a pic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mulligan. Colored thing didn't have a framework or mapping or anything drawn around it first.

Last edited by ArtsySiridean; March 1st, 2012 at 02:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thread didn't bump the other day. Also, I apologize for the apple not looking good. To me, the stem looks alright, and most of everything around it. After that, though, I was at a bit of a loss.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Overslept a wee bit today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mmhmm.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    5 chars

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.