Art: General Animation Thread - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: General Animation Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I really don't know what to think about UPA. I either hear they're the blight of the Earth or a smart innovator that fell off the tracks over time.

Top notch Disney.

Here's a fun looking character I've never seen. Clearly she was one of the side characters they put in later Betty cartoons.

They redesigned her for a later cartoon and it's WORSE than the changes they did to Betty!

Gah! What the hell is that thing?!

Last edited by Psychotime; October 23rd, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pres...to-the-new-era

GOOPA Inc., is a creative IT service development company based in Tokyo and Bangkok. The company is developing an animation focused crowdfunding website, Anipipo (http://en.anipipo.com). Anipipo provides a new way for animation creators to find funding to support the production of their animation. Creators will also be able to utilize Anipipo as a platform to get connected with their fans from all over the world.
    Huh. That's interesting.

Last edited by Psychotime; October 24th, 2012 at 02:11 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a neat site that I found that specializes in early Hanna-Barbera cartoons:
    http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com

The Betty model sheets: The second one looks like it had too much Iwerks/Disney influence.

Finally, here's a couple of Filmation's cartoons:
    Rod Rocket (Which shows what that studio started out as.)

Dick Digit (Which looks like everything they did from '66 onward.)

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another interesting pilot, this time it's a show from Nickelodeon can be summed up as a semi-precursor to Avatar: The Last Airbender

My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some copy paste from the Just Watched thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    Finally, I watch a Miyazaki film after a good long while. My Neighbor Totoro. Last thing I saw was Princess Mononoke back in high school. It played on TCM, so I got to see it. Yeah.

No wait, I saw Ponyo back in 2010. The angry baby was hilarious.

Seriously, I'm just not interested in Miyazaki. I can say his character designs are distinctly his (bonus points for a Japanese animation studio that goes out of their way to portray teeth. Japan in general needs to stop being afraid of drawing teeth, and it's always refreshing to see it.), the animation is decent, and the environments are phenomenal, but that doesn't mean I have to actually like his films.

Small rant here.

( Click to show/hide )

And one thing that I hate hearing is comparisons of him to Disney. Sorry, when you actually know the huge strides Disney made for the art form, it's a very silly thing to say.

Does he make good family-oriented animated films? Sure. That doesn't mean you can compare him to the guy who's studio developed and canonized the 12 principles of animation and broke ground that everyone else was too afraid to attempt, with the first feature-length animated film. (He actually wasn't the first to do sound cartoons, despite popular knowledge claiming so.)

Animation AS AN ARTFORM owes ALOT to Disney, and if he was removed from history, the medium would be a hell of alot different, probably for the worst. And I'm not even a Disney fan!

Miyazaki can't compare to that, whether you like his films or not. Just say he makes good films.

Ok, got that out of me, onto the movie.

I occasionally switched from English to Japanese as I watched (I do that alot when I'm able to), and I have to say, I HATE the father's Japanese voice. He sounds like a damn robot. Everything else is fine. I can switch back and forth without any major issues.

I have to wonder if there was ever a crazy group that would claim that the movie would teach kids to pester sleeping forest animals. The whole scene where the little sister meets Totoro made me think "What if some kid tried that shit with a bear in real life?" There's no way I'm the only one thinking that if this weren't a Miyazaki film, this movie would end with a mauling.

The dust creatures in the house were bad enough. Each scene with them in the first half hour could have been rewritten for a supernatural horror movie like The Grudge. "Don't go in the attic, you'll get your jaw ripped off!"

And I'm pretty sure I've seen that cat bus in my nightmares somewhere.

Anyway, it was a movie with really awesome backgrounds.

Now time for me to get longwinded!

For the last month I've been watching the first season of Sailor Moon. The two main reasons being for a really nerdy project I've been bothering with on and off since last year, and just to say that I've finally done it.

I initially tried starting a few years back, but at the time I couldn't stand the run-of-the-mill monster of the week formula. Heck, I STILL haven't finished Heartcatch Precure (Oh, but I will, count on it) because it burned me out back in August.

But since then I've been able to tolerate alot more stuff. If I can sit through the first 30 or so episodes of Fairy Tail over a weekend, a mediocre shonen series that constantly squanders it's own potential with lazy writing that gets WORSE the more you think about it, then I can tolerate a formulaic magical girl show.

To prevent this post from being too large (too late, huh?), for everyone's benefit I'm gonna spoiler the bulk of it, so that the people who don't care can just move past it.

Just trying to be considerate.

( Click to show/hide )

It's a shame how only 3 members of the main cast appear to have any real personalities: Moon, Mask, and Mars. I like the IDEA of Mercury and Jupiter (they were always my favorites), but the fact is that the former is one note, and the latter doesn't seem to have a life at all. But Venus gets the worst of it, and it's a serious shame I'm saying this.

For those who don't know, Venus was actually the original Sailor Senshi, not just canon-wise but publication-wise. She came out first in her own solo comic, and Moon came out later, eventually ending in an assimilation, essentially.

Before Venus becomes part of the team in Moon, she's an established hero talked about constantly by everyone. But (in THIS show, at least) she never actually appears until the very last arc of the first season, to become the last member of the central team. Despite her origin, she's the blandest character I've ever seen in this show, and there's NO reason she should be!

I'm gonna assume there'll be character development in the later seasons. It seems to me that at this point it got pushed aside for the plot. Yeah, it's got one.

But just because the protagonist has a clear personality doesn't necessarily mean you'll find her tolerable as a character. I can see people finding Usagi EXTREMELY annoying, petty, stupid, and useless. But that's the entire joke. The assigned leader of the team is actually the one LEAST qualified for the role, due to some destiny silliness or whatever that she eventually has to face and grow into.

The entire show is about how incompetent Moon is, despite her "chosen one" status. Every other Sailor Senshi is smarter, braver, and stronger than she is, from the certified genius with a 300 IQ, the serious badass who was able to take on a general AND monster of the week with her bare hands before getting powers, to the one who had an established solo career (complete with licensing*) LONG before anyone else ever got powers. And yet they have to play second banana to a complete loser because "destiny" says so.

But I can buy the joke just fine.

*I'm not kidding. In the show, Sailor Venus has tons of merchandise with her name and face on it. From video games, to toys, to a show within the show. It's not clear if she's making any money on all this stuff, but it's amusing to think about.

I'm currently in the final 10 episodes of the first season, with Tuxedo Mask getting brainwashed and turned evil by the villains, Moon learning her true destiny and stuff, and having to face up to it.

I've liked how at every 10 or so episodes they try to mix things up by switching out generals to the main villain who have different goals/styles/whatever when it comes to their villainy. If you didn't guess, the generals get switched around because they get killed for failing too much. But for a monster of the week show, it breaks up the monotony.

You've got the first general (who's the blandest) setting up scams across Tokyo to drain a mass amount of souls. The second finds the old method lazy and decides to pinpoint and drain from strong souled individuals (people with talents and drives) by possessing their tools, which turns out to net alot better.

Once the third comes along, the soul draining isn't needed, but finding the seven chaos emeralds rainbow crystals is the new goal, with means awakening seven indivuals around Tokyo who are reincarnations of demons sealed long ago. But upon the fourth, the goal is just "kill Sailor Moon before she gets too powerful thanks to number three's screw up". It just gets interesting from having the rogue ally get captured and brainwashed into evil.

The main thing that always irks me about these kinds of shows is how much they waste monsters. I mean how they come up with cool character designs that deserve to be around for more than one epsiode. I've never understood the logic behind making something cool just to discard it right afterward.

But yapping over, it's watchable, and of course nostalgic. At least it doesn't piss me off like Fairy Tail does, despite how cheesy it might be. I can just say I can tolerate alot more these days. But "Taxi!" still sucks, and "Satan Met a Lady" is still absolute shit. Yep, still not over those movies.

I COULD potentially restart the live action version, but...damn. Outside of the AMAZING scenery chewing of the actress playing the main villain, it's... probably crossing the line with how surreal a show like this should be allowed to be. But god damn, is it hilarious and awkward. Yeah, I'll probably set some time to watch it in full.

But Heartcatch comes first. Despite the stupid monsters of the week (the complete opposite problem) and one of the cute mascots literally defecating magical items (in a "cute" way, I might add) every episode (I wish that was a joke, but I've yapped about that before, and the worst part is that it starts off as a gold liquid); the leads are likeable, the generals are fun, and the fighting is alot cooler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    Watching the new version of Hunter x Hunter, because it's a Jump series on my list (It's also from the same guy who made Yu Yu Hakusho). From what I've seen, I don't even like it. But this bit stood out to me.

Original comic (1998)

For anyone confused, you read from right to left.

Anime adaptation (1999)

Anime adaptation (2011)

Only a url because I can't post more than 1 video per post. I forgot when they started doing that, but whatever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWLvCLk5zOs

It really seems like anime these days seems to go out of their way to tone down violence or gore, but the more I think about it, it seems both versions had to do something to get approved by the censors. They just go about it in different ways with different results.

But at least the 1999 version SHOWS the heart, and follows the original scene to a t!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is interesting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That Vimeo clip was really interesting, and what did you think of those three videos I posted a while ago?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That Constant Payne pilot feels like it's one of the kind of cartoons that line up with shows like Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century (first thing to come to mind). The kind of stuff I'd see in the early 90's on saturday mornings but never got into.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a neat Afghan animated film I found on Cartoon Brew:
    http://www.cartoonbrew.com/cgi/afgha...lms-63419.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Psychotime, to address your beef with the Sailor Moon anime (which I mostly agree with): the manga series is a lot more serious and has pretty much zero filler, and Usagi gets a lot of consistent and awesome character development, she really turns from a lazy good-for-nothing into a smart, capable and compassionate leader. In the animated adaptation they pad everything out with five monsters of the week before the next plot point and reset Usagi's character development to zero for the start of every new arc. Meh.

This is why I'm looking forward to the new anime that's coming out this summer, it's supposedly going to be geared towards the more mature audience of the original manga. Yay!

Anyhoo, has anyone here seen "The Reward?" It's a bachelor film a group at my school made last year and despite smaller flaws (hellooooo, oversexed female plot devices) it's amazing and even has spawned a huge fan-following on tumblr these days. Plus, the soundtrack. Unf. Plus, there's a game coming in the future. I'd love to see this as a proper film or series!

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't say I have any kind of beef with Sailor Moon. Now a series like Fairy Tail, I have a beef with.

The Reward is just fine. I'd be lying if I said I have any feelings about it. I'm really not so sure why it's popular (the fantasy quest concept?), but it was a good idea to make it have no dialogue and work purely on visuals, that way it's accessible to everyone instead of just people from Denmark. That's probably what helped it spread around easier.

Last edited by Psychotime; February 17th, 2013 at 11:27 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To Kjesta: Very nice. Reminds me of Ninjai meets any cartoon done by my friend Zombie Pimp. I also like how After Effects/Premiere used judiciously in this whereas most people who use it in 2D animation will splurge with reckless abandon. If you want it made into a game of some sort; I know a bunch of programmers who could help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another great Disney cartoon:

Now why can't modern Disney be this funny?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Somebody without access asked for some scans of Rock-a-Doodle stuff, so I went back to SCAD's database and scanned a handful of color models I found interesting. Might as well repost them here.

If you ask me, Rock-a-Doodle's AT LEAST more watchable than All Dogs Go to Heaven. It's still terrible, but in an entertaining way.

Last edited by Psychotime; March 1st, 2013 at 05:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's two Woody Woodpecker cartoons, one really good:

One not as good (but still funny):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCLNgR7x5Vo
    By the way, is it me or does that announcer bear a resemblance to Alex Lovy?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Took me a while, but I finally started re-watching The Mighty B. Off the top of my head, it was one of the few decent Nicktoons to debut since 2006. The other being El Tigre and Fanboy & Chum Chum. I got reminded of the show this morning while I was reading storyboarding stuff by Sherm Cohen.

It's a shame this show only lasted two seasons, while Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents have been going on for over a decade and STILL haven't let up, yet. Both of them having gone WAY past their prime.

If I could describe it, I could compare parts of it to Spongebob and Ren & Stimpy. The enthusiastic main character and her dimwitted sidekick can easily be described as being similar to Spongebob and Patrick (I'm referring to Penny as the sidekick, though depending on the episode Happy or her brother take the role of sidekick sometimes, which are different dynamics). You've got the occasional gross out humor, wonderful expressions, and Bill Wray paintings (ever see a little girl grow peach fuzz for a reaction closeup?). And there's a good deal of stock music. I'd be very surprised if Spumco WASN'T a inspiration for this cartoon. From there it doesn't have too much in common, but those are very obvious from the get go.

It's not one of the best to come out of Nick, but it certainly isn't bad, and it can be pretty fun. Man, it irks me how there are no real DVD collections for this show. I can only watch it on Netflix.

Penny's design is great, it makes me laugh every time. Bessie's design works for what it needs to be, but it's clearly just a mix of the parts that make Dexter and Spongebob iconic, as opposed to something really distinct and striking. Apparently the show was pretty successful when it ran early on, but I think it could have lasted better if they could have the main character's design be really distinct, and unfortunately it isn't.

Speaking of Dexter, I finally discovered the episode Rude Removal, which never played on TV. Did they really think they could do this in the 90's? I guess they did.

Apparently it was finally "released" in January for everyone to see. Before then it was in fact one of the "lost" episodes that the network didn't want to use.

Last edited by Psychotime; March 5th, 2013 at 06:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's one of the last cartoons from Terrytoons: Sally Sergeant

This was an attempt at competing with Johnny Quest that had a well-animated intro.

Heckle & Jeckle

Funny shit!

Al Capp's Li'l Abner

The animation is alright, but this proves that One: Dave Fleischer couldn't save Screen Gems; and two: Alec Geiss was the '40s equivalent of Sirkowski (as in lacking in direction skill and comedic talent).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 9