Art: General Animation Thread - Page 2

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just watched "You are Umasou"

I was very nice, and though it looks very cutesy, the story itself was not irritatingly cute.
    You can still watch it in Youtube and if you haven't watched this, I suggest you give it a try.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    http://animationsmears.tumblr.com/

Entire blog with images on animation stills with smears and multiples, and other animation tricks.

Random thing to make a whole blog about, but interesting.

General Animation Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BlightedArt View Post
    Not really. The other forum I got to loves that stuff to death.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BlightedArt View Post
    http://animationsmears.tumblr.com/

Entire blog with images on animation stills with smears and multiples, and other animation tricks.

General Animation Thread
    Crazy cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Speaking of effects in hand-drawn animation, what do people think of those 3D backgrounds that the Fleischers used back in the 30s with the rotograph? As for anime, how come nobody has ever mentioned Fist of the North Star, Riki-Oh: Wall of Heel, or Dirty Pair ('80s)?

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The stuff the Fleischer's did was pretty awesome. It'd be cool to see more of that these days.

About the anime, those just never came up. Those kinda belong in the comics thread, anyway.

Bandai Entertainment to Stop Releasing New DVDs, BDs, Manga

Wanna get depressed?

http://www.animenews...ets-by-5th-week

Last edited by Psychotime; January 6th, 2012 at 07:09 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Someone gave me this on Blu-Ray but unfortunately I don't have a HDCP-ready monitor... Or whatever - I need to figure that out but haven't really had the time for it.

Watched it on Netflix though. It's amazing. It's listed in Action/Adventure for sorting's sake, but it's actually really atmospheric:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Huh.

You know, I wonder how common it is for comics that are published in seinen magazines but are still easily sold to a younger audience. Gon and Shin-Chan are two things off the top of my head that do just that.

Speaking of Shin Chan, he's getting a four-part team up with Kamen Rider Fourze. The last time he did that was 5 years ago with Kamen Rider Den-O.

General Animation Thread

宇宙キター!

General Animation Thread

Last edited by Psychotime; April 16th, 2012 at 03:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I thought it was Van Buren that did the Amos and Andy cartoons. This one is ok. Typical 30's stuff.

Official Films. Who is that?

EDIT: Ah, according to an (unsourced) wikipedia page, Official Films was one of the first companies to syndicate theatre cartoons for tv, and their repertoire included alot of Van Buren shorts.

Not animation related (but when the hell am I ever gonna get the chance to talk about Amos and Andy of all things?) I've downloaded a bunch of Amos and Andy radio shorts, and I gotta say it's really slow despite each episode being 8 minutes long. They had some surprisingly lengthy arcs, too. Like one where Amos gets framed by fur thieves.

If there's one thing that bugs me about the duo, it's the names. Amos is such a formal sounding name to me, that it confused me when I realized that that was the funny man's name. "Andy" just sounds so inappropriate for the straight man of a duo, I'd think he'd go by his full name Andrew at least.

EDIT2: And for anyone who thinks I'm trying to troll or something, I'm not.

Last edited by Psychotime; May 18th, 2012 at 01:01 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Huh. This is interesting.

If you've never heard of M. J. Winkler, she was the first American female film distributor, and she's a large part of what made Disney eventually come to form during the silent era, and the cartoon industry as a whole.

Now I knew about Winkler for a while, but I never knew about the Alice series. I just ran into it by accident.

This is one of the better Van Buren shorts, if you ask me. Alot are either really dull or really ugly (or both).

But their handful of Toonerville shorts later were pretty fun. They had really stepped their game up at this point. (Disney animator Burt Gillett had joined the crew.) Too bad they went out of business shortly afterward. Never knew they were based on a comic strip.

God damn, Mr. Bang is such an asshole.

Last edited by Psychotime; May 25th, 2012 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a fun fact: Winkler was married to Charles Mintz of Screen Gems fame.

As for Van Beuren, I first encountered them from the Rainbow Parade Felix the Cat shorts. Too bad the other RP cartoons weren't up to par with those. (Example: Molly Moo Cow.)

My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've probably seen The Goose that Lays the Golden Eggs and Neptune Nonsense more than I can count. They aren't even particularly bad cartoons. They're memorable, but they leave a bad taste in my mouth, because at this point Felix fell to imitating Mickey Mouse. It's just so wrong, and it's difficult to think of a parallel to compare it to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For some reason I've always had trouble finding Charles Mintz cartoons. I really need to get something, but any collection of public domain cartoons I do find never include any. It's strange, because I really need to watch more Toby and Scrappy. All I can ever find is stuff from blogs.

Speaking of which, Gloom Chasers has to be the most repulsive cartoon I've ever watched. Yep, solve the Dust Bowl with song and dance!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a neat experiment in CG animation made back in 1970:
    http://animationanomaly.com/2012/06/...gi-short-1970/
    Enjoy!

Thanks
    Thanked 16,677 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Moved to new forum. Carry on!

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The last animation movie i saw was Gyo, it was gross and ridiculous.

General Animation Thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Parts of the internet had a field day with the original comic, and they went nuts when it finally got a cartoon.

I'm surprised some higher up thought it WARRANTED a cartoon, but that said, I've never bothered with it at all. It does look pretty funny, though. I assume it's almost like Night of the Lepus, in that it's a straight up horror story with monsters killing people, but the monsters are so ridiculous that it's impossible not to laugh.

Might as well copypaste about some cartoons I saw recently and yapped about on the Just Watched thread.

Just finished Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood a second time. The last time I bothered with it was when the comic's final story arc ended back in 2010.

Love that series. I haven't rewatched anything in a long time, so I think two years was a long enough wait to rewatch one of my absolute favorite Japanese franchises ever.

If you want some good shonen, look no further than Fullmetal. Naturally I recommend the actual comics, though.

A little aside, but my personal recommendation, before you even think of watching Brotherhood or reading the comics: Watch the original 2003 cartoon first. I could write an essay about how much of a bad move that series really was on the part of the publisher, but in my opinion I loved the story as the author intended even more when all I had before was the first cartoon to go by.

I'll keep this quick as I can. The bottom line is that the original 2003 series was created LONG before the comic itself was even at the halfway point, and due to the fact that the original comic needed another SEVEN YEARS before it actually finished, the animation studio (Bones) chose to break off from the comic's plot as soon as it could and created it's own new ending and plot developments that have nothing in common with how the comic would turn out. And there were a bunch of plot holes that arised from the things they tried to do. And the fact is that the idea of making the cartoon back then was doomed to fail at the start.

This is my personal assumption, but it seems to me that Square-Enix was quick to jump at any licensing they could, because as far as I can tell Square-Enix NEVER had a successful comic under their belt that could compete with the big names until Fullmetal came along, so that made them agree to such a doomed licensing deal. But it still turned out well for them regardless. This same thing happened with Soul Eater, another Square-Enix published work that's still ongoing but had a cartoon adaptation that had to fudge it's own ending (never bothered with that series but supposedly the ending they went with pissed alot of fans off) for the exact same reasons.

But that's the exact reason why you should watch the 2003 series first. I personally loved that series despite the problems it dug itself into, and when I finally went and completed the author's story (which is superior in every way) I found much more to appreciate in it.

The largest thing to note (outside of plot, characters, ect) is the shift in tone. The original cartoon was very cynical after the halfway point, and not in a reasonable way. It really irks me these days, because it comes off as the kind of anime that thinks it's being "deep" by being emo. But I will admit, it certainly appealed to 14 year old me.

21 year old me finds the "true" tone much more refreshing. It's actually very optimistic when it wants to be, but it knows when to switch gears when necessary. And despite the difference in tone, when you get down to it, the "true" story outnumbers the first cartoon in the amount of disheartening things that develop, much more than anything the first cartoon could think up. And they're felt much stronger because of the overall tone that precedes them. There's alot more menace to the villains here and the scale of the events is SO much larger, and that makes the triumphs even better for the audience.

And one thing that must be noted is that due to the fact that Brotherhood is a remake, they felt the need to rush, skip, or gloss over things that the first cartoon established for practicality's sake, and it ruins some parts, like a few significant character deaths early on. They lose much of their impact because not enough time is spent with those characters as much as what the first cartoon did. And a handful of supporting characters barely get any of the time to shine that they need because of it. For only for that much I'd say only watch the first 28 episodes (yeah, maybe a bit much) ignoring some episodes and plot developments that never happened in the original comic and therefore have no bearing on the "true" story (episodes 4, 8, 10-12), Brotherhood covers the same amount of plot in 12 episodes.

But yeah I rambled enough, if you want an example of GOOD shonen, look no futher than Fullmetal.
    I'd take on something short for once, so I went and watched Trigun in full. I gotta say it was dull if you ask me, and I have no clue what the big deal was over it. The first few episodes were entertaining, but once the plot started (at the halfway point) it became really dull for me. But it's the shortest show I've watched in a good while (only 26 episodes), so I set some time to complete it. It's ok. I probably should read the comic, because the issue Fullmetal had is in place here.

I could probably watch that movie they made recently. Looks like it could be fun.
    Soul Eater.

Didn't like it.

It's ok, at least up to the point before it chooses to diverge from the original comic due to necessity (talked enough about that earlier). But even then it's not good. It's particularly frustrating how little it makes use of it's own premise.

I keep hearing that it's best to stick with the comic, but having looked at the early chapters I hate the heavy fanservice (the cartoon really toned it down) and the drawings are really weak. But one thing I will give it after deciding to jump around a bit is that the drawings improve very fast (thanks to the format) and the creator has some interesting ideas that the cartoon never bothered with.

It was one of those shows where I said I'd eventually watch it, and I like to keep my word.

Speaking of which, I also ended up watching Puella Magica Madoka a good while ago. It's most certainly overrated (good lord, the kind of praise that show gets), but as long as you avoid the fandom over-hyping minor plot points and sucking the fun out of the show in general, it's ok for what it is.

Madoka's the show that reminded me WHY I don't associate with most anime fans, real life or internet.
    Thought I'd knock some more stuff off my list, and watch another Don Bluth movie. It's been a long while. As I've said before, I have memories of some of the movies, but it's been over 10 years since I've ever bothered with any of them. This time All Dogs Go to Heaven.

Ugh, I felt like quitting after the first 15 minutes. Rock-a-Doodle was certainly bad, but I could still SIT THROUGH that one without a problem and still be entertained because of how hilariously bad it is. The truth is I can't say I care at all about Don Bluth. Yeah, he made a name for himself, but that doesn't mean I have to care about his work.

The set up is freakin WEIRD. A seedy underground gambling ring owned by dogs set in 1939 New Orleans? A kid that can somehow talk to animals so the dogs use her to fix the animal races? Apparently the outcome of all animal races is a joint decision by the racers themselves? A gold watch just sitting there that allows you to negate your death at the price of losing your spot in the afterlife?

I may not have liked NIHM all that much, but I could get behind the premise until the magic crap came into play. This one is just...damn. EVERY plot point or concept in this movie gives me a headache. Even little stuff throws me for a loop, like Carface having RETRACTABLE CLAWS. And blech, Bluth's crew could NOT keep up with Disney in the song department. The songs in this movie feel so shoehorned in and halfassed. Rock-a-Doodle had better songs than this. Yeah, isn't it sad that I constantly compare it to THAT one?

The only thing I found worthwhile was the 2 minutes where Charlie goes to Hell. I wonder if I can find any of the backgrounds from that scene.

And I had this question in the back of my head for a long time (just needed to finally rewatch the movie to confirm it), but wasn't there a better way to portray Charlie's murder and not make it obvious that you weren't allowed to show his corpse flying? We never should have had a front shot of that car soaring off the dock like that if they were gonna have his corpse disappear (the characters apparently saw it fly, but not us). I don't think I'm nitpicking at all.

This sort of thing comes into play again when Carface uses a tommy gun that shoots lasers. No really, they call it a laser. It destroys property, but makes laser sounds and the bullets are a bright flash of light. It was obviously a censorship issue.

I remember reading that due to censorship issues, Bluth went to a different distributor that allowed him to get away with a little more, but clearly the new one still wasn't lenient enough about it. It makes me wonder how much they could have gotten away with if they had free range to do anything under the sun, because I'm pretty sure they would have taken it. Wouldn't have made the movie any better, but regardless. Imagine a kids movie with drug dealers and prostitutes. That are dogs. What kind of drugs would dogs use, anyway?

Speaking of drugs; god damn, that Big-Lipped Alligator. That has to be the weirdest pseudo-filler I've seen in a long time (because all said and done it adds to the plot). I would love to see the back and forth that resulted in that scene.

Guh. I don't like Don Bluth. I can appreciate him, but that's it. I think that's the last one I'll be bothering with.

Last edited by Psychotime; July 28th, 2012 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, Pudgy was the best thing to come out of post-code Betty Boop. He may have started stealing the show away from Betty herself, but c'mon. He's so damn adorable.

Speaking of post-code Betty Boop, damn did her proportions start looking awful in the last two years of her run (38-39).

No idea what they were thinking, because they had some really good looking drawings otherwise. Check out the monkey.

And if you want a good Youtube channel, this person is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ParkerTaibi

I had no idea THIS existed...even though it looks like garbage. But hey, they had Bimbo and Koko in it. That amounts for something.

Last edited by Psychotime; July 28th, 2012 at 08:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see where you're coming from on Bluth, and this is coming from someone who liked Dragon's Lair, Titan A.E., and Space Ace.

Betty's Hollywood Mystery-Talking about an example of how not to update a classic character. The colors were chosen out of poor taste, voices felt as if they were labored, and the animation was trying too hard to replicate what the Fleischers did in the '30s without the knowledge behind that brand of wacky. A stark contrast to what Ralph Bakshi and John K did with Mighty Mouse.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingSeraph View Post
    I see where you're coming from on Bluth, and this is coming from someone who liked Dragon's Lair, Titan A.E., and Space Ace.
    Titan A.E. was Don Bluth?...Wait, Titan A.E. was a cartoon?

Yeah, that shows how much I knew about it. No idea how I remember the name, I just do. I seriously didn't even know it was a cartoon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wow, never saw this one before. How the hell have I never seen this before?

It was first released on August 11, 1995 attached to the critically panned feature A Kid in King Arthur's Court, and was re-released on April 7 the same year with A Goofy Movie, and on July 16, 1997 in front of Disney's live-action remake of George of the Jungle. It was also screened along with Disney's 1995 animated blockbuster Pocahontas.
    The film was screened out of competition at the 1996 Cannes Film Festival.

The short was released on DVD in the Walt Disney Treasures collection Mickey Mouse in Living Color, Vol. 2.
    Well that explains why. I never saw any of those movies in the theater and have yet to buy that DVD. Why couldn't they have just put it on the VHS for A Goofy Movie? It'd have been cake icing. It seriously took that long for them to put out a home release for it?

Last edited by Psychotime; July 31st, 2012 at 11:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Man, that Billy Bletcher.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another Betty Boop cartoon that I found:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I said I'd do this years ago, but today I finally remembered! Today I went into the SCAD library and asked to get some scans of a few backgrounds from Secret of NIHM! I still don't particulalry like the movie (still better than any of Bluth's other ones) but that doesn't mean that everything about it is anything but quality stuff.

I'm not a fan, so I have no idea who's signature this is on the paintings (all the one's I scanned are from the same artist), but they were done with just gouache on bristol board. The size varies, too.

Probably silly, but I didn't want to remove any overlays the images had on them (it was bad enough I was handling these things to begin with), so you'll notice them there, as well as any dust on them.

I just looked around and picked a handful I liked.

You know, until today I was completely unaware of Photoshop's Automerge feature! It's certainly not perfect, but it's a time saver!

Oh, I didn't bother to have them scanned, but 007A SC15 BG15 was redone a few times before the crew had something they were content with. Interesting that they save those. Images like that have a big red OBSOLETE written in the corner. But as I said before, I didn't scan any of those.

The cobwebs in 007A SC40+48 BG40 are an overlay that I didn't want to remove. I have no idea what they used for that effect.

General Animation Thread
    General Animation Thread
    General Animation Thread
    General Animation Thread
    General Animation Thread
    General Animation Thread

It's pretty interesting to be able to look at (heck, be able to touch) animation production work that was already almost 10 years old when I was born.

If anyone wants the above backgrounds scanned at 300dpi, I've got them in a zip file for you.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?913ecal6j6qmvqo

If anyone has requests for scans, post an image of what you're trying to get and I can try to look for it! SCAD's been trying to catalog all the stuff Bluth donated for the last 6 years. Unfortunately they don't seem to have the Hell scene from All Dogs Go to Heaven on file. I really wanted that one.

NIMH is the only one I should be able to reliably find stuff for. Any other Bluth projects will be hit or miss. Anything owned by Spielberg or Fox isn't available, so that means no Land Before Time, American Tail, Anastasia, or Titan A.E, period.

Last edited by Psychotime; August 7th, 2012 at 07:36 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know what people think of the Columbia/Screen Gems cartoons of the '40s, but while Kitty Caddy and Cockatoos for Two were funny; they were the worst of golden age cartoons. (Petey Pelican, Rocky Road to Ruin) However, here's a Youtube channel that has a lot of them:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Dachshund

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just found an animated gif I was stunned by, and am wondering if anyone has any info on it.

General Animation Thread

In my search I found this which is a live action version of the same idea, but no leads on this specific animation.

I just love that every frame has a different person. If you know what it's from, who did it, or even who might have done it, I would love to know.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kasumi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread needs more Tex Avery.

General Animation Thread
    General Animation Thread

Man, I love Screwy's final design, I really do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been jumping around here and there, and you know something that bugs me? Why hasn't Disney put out dvds for all of their 90's series, yet? Sure, they have Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, Gargoyles, and Ducktales.

But there's no Bonkers, no Goof Troop, not the Aladdin series (yeah, that existed!), Timon and Pumbaa, c'mon! Every single one of those shows is linked with a successful film that they love making special editions up the wazoo already! They'd rather keep the direct to video mess, though. What the hell?

Speaking of which, is it just me or was Jim Cummings playing a lead role in EVERY Disney tv cartoon from the 90's? I'm not complaining, but I wonder what his work schedule had to have looked like in those days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Japanese animation studio Production IG is working on a 10-minute short film, and also willing to prove to the current market that original animation projects ARE viable despite the recession.

I personally think that anyone who cares about animation as an industry should pitch in, just for the sake of sending a message. I don't even LIKE the concept that they're going with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have agree that this thread needs more Tex Avery coverage, and it's surprising that he never liked Screwy considering the humor Tex was synonymous with. Guess Droopy provided a strong sense of contrast that Screwy didn't. By the way, what do people here think of Friz Freleng, UPA, John Hubley after he left that studio, and Jay Ward?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2