Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following

General Animation Thread

General Animation Thread

There's a comic one, so why not?

I don't know about most people, but even though I still remember the good cartoons of the 90's, my childhood was hours and hours of public domain cartoons, a lot of which are older than my own grandfather.

Case in point, Ub Iwerks' Comicolor shorts.

I love the bit where the two leads get hardboiled and start kicking ass.

Disney needs to swipe all these up the same way they took all of the Oswald shorts and put out a DVD. Iwerks is part of the Disney legacy, regardless if he followed Walt or not.

They aren't nearly as memorable as Fleischer or Clampett, but rediscovering them again brings a smile to my face.

And you can't ignore some Tezuka. Of course the animation couldn't hope to compare to the classics of the 30s, but 60's anime has it's charm.

Tezuka's more of a comic topic, but whatever. He's important in both mediums. One thing I find funny about Tezuka is how unsubtle he when his works tackle a theme (which is all the time). I don't mean it that in a bad way, either. I'm not saying his stuff is like Captain Planet or any kind of propaganda. I mean that it becomes blatantly clear early on what he's aiming at and doesn't let it fall into the realm of interpretation.

Last edited by Psychotime; March 4th, 2013 at 09:07 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oooh, animation! I'll be back later when I have more time on my hands but I'll just drop off a few scenes from the - in my opinion - most awesomely awesome animated film EVER. (Hint: it's The Iron Giant.) The acting's just glorious.

I really wish there were more films like this. Disney always advertises that their films are fun for the whole family but I think that this is the kind of story that needs to be told more often. Things don't need to be dumbed down for kids. Sometimes you need to trust your young audience to deal with something sad or frightening instead of giving them sugar-coated stuff only.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post
    I really wish there were more films like this. Disney always advertises that their films are fun for the whole family but I think that this is the kind of story that needs to be told more often. Things don't need to be dumbed down for kids. Sometimes you need to trust your young audience to deal with something sad or frightening instead of giving them sugar-coated stuff only.
    You sure you're talking about the same movie? It's been a LONG while since I've watched the Iron Giant, but unless there was some dark alternate ending I never saw, the story is nothing like what you seem to be implying.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've been LOVING the DC comic movies they've put out. It's a much needed version vs the DC 52 bs that launched. I know, I know.... but I love seeing what they've been doing with the properties in other forms.

At first I didn't like the Avenger's Mightiest Heroes cartoon. It was slow for the first 4 episodes. Once they Assembled (ha ha) it was great. I also enjoyed how Wolverine and the X-men flowed despite some of the character designs.

I'm still waiting for The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra (Though I like the Avatar title better, but believe there were some trademark concerns?) but I heard it may not launch till next year ;_; http://avatarthelastairbenderonline....gend-of-korra/

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/The_Las...egend_of_Korra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I've been LOVING the DC comic movies they've put out.
    I've seen a few of them, but nothing really grabbed me. Which are the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    At first I didn't like the Avenger's Mightiest Heroes cartoon. It was slow for the first 4 episodes. Once they Assembled (ha ha) it was great.
    So I have to give it 5 episodes before it gets good? A few months ago I gave it a look and I hated it.

I liked Super Hero Squad better. Sure, it was sometimes a little too childish, but there were some good bits to it. Plus you're never gonna expect to see Tom Kenny voice Captain America and Iron Man ever again.

I still haven't really sat down and watched Avatar. I saw a few episodes when it was still new, but nothing made me want to really stick with it or start from the beginning. The only reason it's even on my list is because I hear so much praise for it that I assume I must be missing something. It's obviously well made, at least.

Last edited by Psychotime; November 3rd, 2011 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    So I have to give it 5 episodes before it gets good? A few months ago I gave it a look and I hated it.
    Oh we were gonna drop watching it too, but it picked up after that. Surprise us (by us I mean me and my roommate who is a fellow artist and enthusiast).

I usually don't bother...and I think it's anyone's right not to bother with a show that doesn't pick up on the first episode. The show has a lot of Kirby influence, in the stories and also those energy signatures often used by the characters.

One thing that had us laughing was that Eric Loomis who is the voice actor for Iron Man can actually do a decent Robert Downey Jr playing Iron Man.

Oh for the DC animated movies. I did like Batman Year One, All Star Superman, Green Lantern: Emerald Knights, Batman Under the Red Hood, DC Comics Presents - I believe Netflix put this under Superman/Shazam http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Su...?trkid=2361637.

The other ones I can give or take but I did like those the best.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; November 3rd, 2011 at 01:56 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can't talk about extremely underrated non-Disney animation without mentioning Prince of Egypt

It's such a bummer that traditional 2d animation in this country didn't get away from talking animals and princesses until it was too late. Or even just annoying side characters...

My god...how many movies have been ruined by annoying side characters? Thinking about those goddamn gargoyles in Hunchback of Notre Dame makes me want to fly over to Disney and go on a wild crotch-punching spree...

Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    You sure you're talking about the same movie? It's been a LONG while since I've watched the Iron Giant, but unless there was some dark alternate ending I never saw, the story is nothing like what you seem to be implying.
    Seriously? I don't know, the Cold War is pretty serious stuff that I haven't seen in a Disney kids movie. Nuclear weapons and ditching the "never say die" sugar-coating, also criticism of the American xenophobia at the time. Maybe I haven't been exposed to the right Disney films yet, but there's none that I can immediately cite that deals with non-fantasy whatever stuff but in this way. (Maybe Pocahontas? Haven't seen it, does it handle it well?)

Maybe we just have different opinions there.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To Psychotime: They did release a collection of Iwerks old cartoons in The Cartoons That Time Forgot series.

To Wiggum: I suggest that you check out Watership Down, Plague Dogs, and Fantastic Planet.

To Arshes Nei: I definitely want to see those DC Animated movies.

Speaking of animated movies, has anyone else seen Ark, Renaissance, The Flight of Dragons, or Starchasers: The Legend of Orin?

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingSeraph View Post
    I suggest that you check out Watership Down, Plague Dogs, and Fantastic Planet.
    Is the Watership Down film good? I'm madly in love with the novel and I'd hate to see it turned into something fluffy and kids-appropriate. (Or what passes for kids-appropriate these days.) I've been considering watching it but am still undecided.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Cartoons That Time Forgot series.
    That's not Disney. It's a collection by a company calling itself Image Entertainment taking them from the public domain like anyone else.

That's not to say that they don't respect the works. But if Disney did it they'd go all out: Remaster everything they possibly can (they'd certainly have the resources), throw in bonus features that give us a decent history lesson. Just all around the whole nine yards that I'd expect. They've done it for the Oswald shorts, they should do the same for the rest of Iwerk's work that's fallen in the public domain.

But given how the Comicolor series was through MGM, I guess it'd have to be Warner Bros that'd release it. But that probably means never. Notice how long it's taking to get a legitimate Looney Toons/Merry Melodies collection that isn't just a "Spotlight Collection" that repeats the same handful of Chuck Jones shorts that everyone's seen a million times already? Why can't they just make a real collection like everyone else these days? They did it right for Popeye! I heard that they just released a legit and unedited chronological Tom and Jerry collection now. Before then the only good one was the collection of all of Jones' series with the characters. What's taking so long for their namesake cartoon series?

Hell, they've got a new series out now (which is pretty decent. It's definitely a modern cartoon that does it's own thing with the characters). Why isn't there a real collection at this point?

Speaking of Tom and Jerry, anyone remember the original duo? The Van Buren one?

Last edited by Psychotime; November 6th, 2011 at 11:26 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To Kjesta: That movie was released back in the late '70s and it wasn't dumbed down at all.

To Psychotime: I remember seeing them and a local cable channel still airs them.

Aside from that, am I the only person on here who's familiar with Walter Lantz' cartoons? (Andy Panda, Woody Woodpecker, Chilly Willy, etc.)

My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've had next to no interest in Lantz. The only cartoon I remember ever watching is Pantry Panic. Any really good ones?

Never heard of Chilly Willy.

EDIT:No wait. I have, I just didn't know that was his name.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you want a tear jerker in the name of artists, go find the Dog of Flanders animation.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; November 7th, 2011 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with the theme of your critique, but you're glazing over a lot of stuff here. You've got attempted genocide in Hunchback, Bambi's mom is killed in front of him and the same thing goes for Simba's dad, and in Atlantis an entire culture is nearly wiped out to deliver a super bomb to the kaiser during WWI. I feel some of the anti-nazi propoganda is pretty gritty as well.

would you look at that, the word "death" is in the title!

Anyway perhaps I'm missing what this thread is about, but here's some stuff I could look at for hours
    Milt Khal

Any TTGL/Gainax fans in the house!?!

Really interesting anime called Kaiba. It had an experimental style--more Tezuka or Western looking.

And now a more Japanese one. Never watched this anime, but it looks really interesting

Really nice film by a Calarts student

Jeff Liu, also Calarts

and Homestuck! It's a webcomic that has really sick animated music videos as pages sometimes. The story's really complex, don't expect these to make sense.

anyway these are nice, but MO-CAP IS THE FUTURE.

The internet's chock full of inspiration, but think this is enough videos for one post.

Oh wait

there, now it's enough.

Last edited by Samszym; November 6th, 2011 at 05:28 PM.
    sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Samszym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Most definitely not a Gainax fan (I could rant up and down about that), but Gurren Lagann was a show that I regret not giving any thought when it was new. I heard so much praise for it from animu fans, mostly from your average weeaboos, so because of that I thought it was gonna be the usual overrated crap.

And then I finally watched it. Went through the whole thing in one weekend. The first story arc was better than the second, but it was a very fun ride nonetheless.

The only thing I need to watch now is the movies and parallel works. Were those ever dubbed? Yep, I'm not that kind of anime viewer. If there's a good dub I will always watch that over anything else.

Haruhi is the same. Just like Gurren Lagann, I came in expecting to hate it (and in Haruhi's case, REALLY hate it) but ended up stunned with how much I ended up liking it. Endless Eight was some awesome trolling, that's for sure. You try to watch that mess in a row and it'll give you the same amount a frustration as the characters. Good god.

I've made a promise to give My Little Pony a look one day. ONE DAY. Everyone, and I mean everyone, seems to be wild about it.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't think the movies have been dubbed yet. As for the parallel works, the thing is there's nothing to dub. They're music videos, so there's no voices anyway. Well there's one exception but I digress.

Haruhi sounds interesting, haven't seen it yet but I think I'll watch it soon.

My therory about the MLP craze is that it's so popular because it's fun to be part of the fan community, rather than the quality of the show. I mean the show itself is absolutely superb and it's a blast to watch, but I think the fun of considering yourself a brony is what draws most people in.

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Samszym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertical View Post
    Don't think the movies have been dubbed yet. As for the parallel works, the thing is there's nothing to dub. They're music videos, so there's no voices anyway. Well there's one exception but I digress.
    Ah, ok. Maybe I should just hop to it, then.

I wish they dubbed the movies already. Why they haven't yet is a mystery to me. I want to see the movies very badly, but I don't wanna lose the English voices. I guess I could just hear them in my head. I'm certain that whenever Manga Entertainment or whoever has the license releases it, it'll probably have the Parallel Works on the same DVD.

Haruhi sounds interesting, haven't seen it yet but I think I'll watch it soon.
    I realized that the one thing that holds everything together is the main character. And that character isn't Haruhi.

The plot (if there is one) of the series may revolve around Haruhi (who's pushy, self absorbed, inconsiderate, manipulative, and sometimes even abusive) but the actual main character of the series is the snarky Kyon who plays the one sane man among all the other weirdos.

If he wasn't the main character, the show would probably be unwatchable. But because he is and the story is always told through his perspective and no one else's, he adds grounding and makes it so much fun to watch.

I think the fun of considering yourself a brony is what draws most people in.
    Personally I'd never wanna call myself that whether I end up liking the show or not.

Last edited by Psychotime; November 7th, 2011 at 09:39 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vertical, maybe I was bit harsh painting all Disney movies with the same brush. I suppose it's just that I was so impressed as a kid when I saw The Iron Giant for the first time because I'd never seen anything like it. First film that ever made me really scared (and that was when they threatened to take Hogarth away from his mom). With Simba's dad I never really felt it so much because, well, he comes back in the clouds, right? So all's happy! At least it was in my head at the time so I never was all that sad about Mufasa's death.

Atlantis is actually an extremely awesome movie, it's so sad it's so underrated. The characters are absolutely amazing and I love the acting in it. Have some of the best Vinny scenes, funniest Disney character of all times. (In my opinion at least.)

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kjesta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with the theme of your critique, but you're glazing over a lot of stuff here. You've got attempted genocide in Hunchback, Bambi's mom is killed in front of him and the same thing goes for Simba's dad, and in Atlantis an entire culture is nearly wiped out to deliver a super bomb to the kaiser during WWI. I feel some of the anti-nazi propoganda is pretty gritty as well.
    And let's not forget The Little Match Girl- 6 straight minutes of agony.

Let me know if Mononoke is any good. Intro looks great, but I've been burned by that before!

I've been watching a lot of Soviet animation lately. Not just the propaganda stuff, though that's fun too. They're real pioneers, they never seem to do the same thing twice. Integrating photography, painting on glass, really experimental stuff. Most of it's beautiful, though a bit mundane.

And the crown jewels:

Oh, and Havoc in Heaven is my favorite adaption of any part of Journey to the West. Fucking beautiful film.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post
    Atlantis is actually an extremely awesome movie, it's so sad it's so underrated.
    I have to say I liked the style of the animation but on an afterthought I can't really deny the similarities to the Stargate movie or the fact that the main dude kinda just gets and knows everything, and is kind of a Gary Stu.

Anyway, in here we had lots of translated Swedish and Danish movies, of which some were pretty damn disturbing or depressing.
    Suffocating whales

Killer crows

Implied kitten drowing

But this one is a Christmas Classic in here.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 833 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    And now a more Japanese one. Never watched this anime, but it looks really interesting
    You should watch it. Because it's really good.

Don't forget that the first episode is actually a part of a set of three shorts called "Ayakashi" though. Don't bother about the other two shorts though, because they're kinda crap.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

30. The Following User Says Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's couple more, these were my childhood favorites, and probably contributed to my liking of having as little dialogue as possible.

Here's another underrated (if not completely unknown) non-disney movie, "Help, I'm a Fish". It's pretty rare also with the fact that it actually features pretty deliberate "murder" of the villain by one of the heroes, which I don't recall seeing very often in kid's movies.

Alfred J. Kwak, another kids' series that pretty heavy subject matters like racism, political issues/spying, environmental issues ect... and aliens, fantastic glass palaces under the sea, space dragons and so on. Dutch/Netherlands/German/Japanese production, and one of the best animated series I know.

EDIT: Here's an english version.

Also I liked Troll Tales, mainly because there's not very many Saturday morning cartoons that use Scandinavian mythology.

Last edited by TinyBird; November 14th, 2011 at 12:59 PM.
    Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

32. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To Tiny Bird: You'll be surprised at how many people compare Atlantis to Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water.

Anyway, what do people here think of stop-motion/claymation cartoons? Examples include:
    Willis O'Brien
    Ray Harryhausen
    Art Clokey
    Will Vinton

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyway, what do people here think of stop-motion/claymation cartoons?
    Well, I personally love the Aardman animations, everything from Wallace and Gromit to Creature Comforts.

As well as the Pingu cartoons (and I already linked Mat & Pat)

And of course the stuff directed by Henry Selick and Tim Burton

Well, even Monkeybone, though I can't really say that the movie itself would be good...

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I´m a Huge Miyazaki fan, but my all time favorite Ghibli films are not directed by him

Pom Poko , war of the racoons Its quite an underrated gem, fun as hell and heartwarming, it has slipped by the radar of many people, so i really recommend it

Also , Raccoons with huge ball sacks

Grave of the fireflies Only movie, animated or not i admit getting teary eyed watching. Its incredibly sad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been watching Xamn'd It's probably some of the best tv anime I've seen.

Pros -
    Heavily character driven. Characters are more complicated than your normal anime cliches.
    Designs - There's really some unusual designs going on in this series creatures characters and otherwise
    Backgrounds - I have to admit I'm drawn to the backgrounds. They're gorgeous

Not sure if a pro or con, but there are definite Miyazaki Nausicaa vibes in there.

Cons -
    Story is confusing
    Pacing can be bad because of the story

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Starchasers: The Legend of Orin?
    That movie is AWESOME! I was watching it expecting it to suck, making fun of that little blind kid, laughing when Orin leaves him (I'm sick I know). Then he runs into the MANDROIDS and I really started getting into it. Disturbing scenes with that sex robot though. Great story great show.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm currently watching Guin Saga.

Ok, I liked Xam'd backgrounds but man...Guin makes you want to LIVE there.

General Animation Thread
    http://screenshots-fansub-tv.cf.async.us/1414/1/9.jpg

General Animation Thread
    http://www.japanator.com/elephant//u...uin-1-620x.jpg

Guin Saga is actually based on an epic number of novels written by Kaoru Kurimoto (130!!! novels) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guin_Saga

The author apparently published over 400 novels in her career, and she was working on the last one and died 3 days later of Pancreatic Cancer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2