Official Atelier Stockholm thread

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello ca.org!

Atelier Stockholm - The Swedish Academy of Realist Art (SARA) is a fine Art school dedicated to traditional, realistic drawing and painting. The school uses long-established techniques from the Renaissance, 18th and 19th-century European and Russian academies, as well as contemporary methods to teach its students. Through this demanding training program, students acquire a range of skills that enable them to create personal, contemporary works of art displaying the same level of expertise and craftsmanship that meet the highest standards set centuries ago.

Many of our students are interested in concept art and illustration as well as traditional fine art. Whilst the education is focused on teaching people to draw and paint realistically using traditional mediums, the methods used translate directly into digital mediums, and to fields other than fine art. We also bring in guest lecturers from the concept art and illustration industries to the school.

Atelier Stockholm is located in Stockholm, Bergshamra.

We plan to update this thread periodically with students work and information about the school. Check out our website, blog and social network outlets in the signature to get further updates about the school.

If you have any questions about Atelier Stockholm, feel free to ask them here and we will answer them as soon as possible.

Here are some photos of students work and photos from around the school:

Attached Images Attached Images                                            
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some photos from the recent Halloween party that we hold every year at the scool:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 370 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This place kicks ass and deserves more attention than it currently gets online! If you're even vaguely local or within the EU I'd definitely recommend considering this place, I moved from the UK and it was relatively painless.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is a painting? http://attachments.conceptart.org/fo...1&d=1319909117

Wooow really impressive Too bad it's so far away from where I live XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Miles - Thanks! We are really glad to have you here.

Sushy - Yup, that is oil on canvas, still-lifes like that are usually part of the 3rd year curriculum. We actually have a student from the Netherlands at the school! About 40% of our students are from countries other than Sweden. It is quite easy to move within the EU, and we help students as much as possible to get settled in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you hold any open day events (öppet hus) for people who are interested and would like to know more about what it means to study at SA?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Revi - Yes we do, the next one will probably be at the start of the year, but we haven't set any dates yet. You can also call us or send an email if you want to book a private visit, and we would be happy to show you around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been at the school for more than 4 months now and its just getting better and better.
    Being someone who hasn't really had any proper art-training before it was really hard to know which kind of school that was right for me, and the art I wish to create.

However, judging by the body of work this school produces I didn't really have a hard time deciding whether or not to apply.

Overall great school and environment to thrive in - Highly recommended!

Last edited by pedramfh; December 6th, 2011 at 06:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm currently 17 and from the UK, I'm extremely interested in studying here. I have a few questions though, could I pay my tuition with a student loan from the UK? I'm not sure how it works. Also, I fear that I won't be able to afford the living costs of Stockholm. I would really love to attend but money poses as a problem. Do you have any advice for me?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pedramfh - Thanks Pedram! It's great to have you at the school

mahons - We have a lot of students from the UK actually, and you can pay the tuition with student loans from there. You can live quite cheaply if you share an apartment with someone else, many of our students do that. We try to help applicants as much as possible to find places to live.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been having trouble getting things posted, this is a test.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm interested in the school but I'm not that keen on doing cast studies but rather go directly to painting. As I've already done alot of croquis and some basic painting. Is that possible?

And I also wonder why students cant start painting and do figuredrawing while they do cast drawing?

I'd appreciate any answer.

Hej svejs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Atelier Stockholm account here seemed to have gotten caught in the spam filter, and can no longer make any posts. Does anyone know how to fix that?

In the mean time, I will answer any questions on this account. I have also started a similar thread on cghub: http://tldr.me/87mi2k

mahons - I tried mailing you earlier, I am not sure if it got through though. We have a lot of students from the UK actually! you can pay the tuition with student loans from the UK . It is possible to live fairly cheaply if you share an apartment with someone else, a lot of our students do that. We also help new students find apartments.

Magnus - That is usually not possible unless you can show that you have done parts of a similar course elsewhere. The whole education is structured so that the teachers can insure that you learn every step properly. Each step of the education makes it that much easier to learn the next one.

The reason students can't jump directly into painting is that it's a very tricky medium which requires a lot of finesse, it can be difficult to jump into without a good base of knowledge. The cast studies gives students the opportunity to focus on learning drawing and handling values, a great foundation which they later can expand upon. It may sound like a tedious exercise but in the right environment and with a good teacher it is an extremely useful lesson.

Students doing cast studies do figure drawings as well, usually split up before and after lunch.

I hope that answered your questions

Last edited by archipelago; December 22nd, 2011 at 04:49 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://tldr.me/87mi2k
    is the link Ville posted.

Last edited by Revi; December 20th, 2011 at 03:25 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Revi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's hard to know whether or not I should give this school a try or not.
    Drawing/croquise has been a religous experience while in the flow....when you are the "one" matrix style.

I know your own drive is key. But what kind of help do you get? And is your method strict to the extreme?
    Have you strucken the right balance between fun/fast tasks and tedious/slow but somewhat neccesary tasks (value studies, cast painting etc). There gotta be some joy if you're gonna be able to hang in there.

It stands between going to alot of croquis + some evening course in painting or your school. I'm 28. Had I been 20 It would have been a no brainer. Now I'm thinking about industrial design school, an education before i'm a senior citizen.

Thankful for any answers..

Last edited by Magnus; December 22nd, 2011 at 03:23 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Magnus - You should come and visit if you want to get a better idea of the school go to the open croquis on thursdays (begins again in january) or call up the school to book an appointment. We have part-time evening courses as well which might be better for you if you want to try it out.

Usually you get two critiques everyday, which is enough to work with for the rest of the day. We then have lectures a couple of times per month on varying subjects. Teachers are also available to help you whenever you need them and students usually help each other out as well.

I'd say that we are less strict than a lot of other ateliers, there are pros and cons to that of course. The majority of the work at the school is longer studies but there are a lot of quicker assignments as well, like 20 minutes of short figure poses everyday, 1 day cast drawings and different workshops. Most students sketch from imagination during lunch or breaks as well. There is definitely joy in the work, otherwise I don't think many students would stay The school has a very nice atmosphere.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply. I'll book a visit in januari. Looked at your work Archipelago and I especially liked your life paintings, beautiful faces.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To any of you Peder Severin Krøyer fans out there, here is some information regarding the current exhibition of his work in Copenhagen: http://atelierstockholm.tumblr.com/p...-in-copenhagen

Me and a group of other students from Atelier Stockholm recently took a day trip down there to check it out. The exhibition is amazing and well worth travelling to! The Hirschsprung Collection is also located next to Statens Musem for Kunst, a huge art museum with some great works as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Stockholm atelier!

I'm interested in the figurative or portrait workshop this summer.
    To me figurative seems the logical first step if you've just started painting but lots of croquis. (I'll be taking some evening courses in painting this semester)

Do their teaching methods differ?
    The estonian guy was a Repin student wasn't he?
    Well put my mind at ease so I can dream about a specific course this summer!

over and out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Open house at Atelier Stockholm!
    February 17th, 14:00-17:00 and February 18th, 13:00-16:00

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excited about the open house day!

But my question is about the two summer courses.
    Still deciding between figurative and portrait.
    Which one is harder if you haven't painted before?
    Read what's on the homepage. Like croquis so maybe figurative?
    Ho do the teacher differ?

Thanks.
    Mvh
    Magnus

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi magnus!

I would say that the portrait workshop will be harder, especially if you have not painted before, but the teachers will try to adapt to your learning level and push you in the best way.

They are both excellent teachers and very nice people. Samuel is a former student at Atelier Stockholm so his figure painting workshop will give you a good idea of what the working methods are like at the school. Aleksei has studied in the Repin Academy in St Petersburg, so his techniques are a little bit different from Atelier Stockholm's main curriculum.

I hope that helped

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply.

I ment to write that I have some basic knowledge of painting. (one stilleben night course)

I checked out that Repin Academy and I'm impressed. Doesn't portrait demand much more painting knowledge than figure?
    Read about your method and spoke to another student a while ago. How did it work out for you that you couldn't start basic painting until after one year?

If you would be able to take one year courses and start paint almost right away I wouldn't hesitate. But I'll take some evening course this spring and if I'm hooked might start this fall. Just love croquis and sketching myself.
    But in the back of my head is the "will you be able to live on your art".

Guess I'm not the ony one with these thoughts so please feel free to expand on your answer somewhat.

Thanks
    mvh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Painting the portrait is harder I think because we, as humans, can see any mistakes much clearer in a face than in a figure. On the other hand, models posing tend to move around a bit more than portrait models, which can be tricky whilst drawing.

Starting painting after a year was not a problem at all, I was prepared to start it much later even. having fundamental drawing skills before jumping into a complex medium such as oils is a very good idea. Rushing into things will probably leave people struggling and progressing slower in the end.

You can definitely live off art if you want to, just work hard, it's really that simple!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi again.

I would like to know what happened at open house which I couldn't attend.
    And also wonder why the price is a bit high for the summer workshop. I'll attend, no hesitation....but would be interesting to hear.

And also whould be interesting to hear how many of the reasonable talented students can make a living out art after 3 years at sthlm atelier. know it's about the market/current recession and your own effort but still. Whatever job as long as it's illustration/painting/drawing. I might have low self esteem when it comes to art but whatever.

Thanks
    Magnus

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Magnus!

We had a great turn out, we got some good questions and met new people interested in the school. There where also lots of snacks!

I know the owners try and make it as affordable as possible, they would make them free if they could (and are in fact trying to do so through CSN) but there are a lot of things that need to be taken into account when organizing workshops such as these, I think the prices are very reasonable. There is a new one planned about landscape with Russian painter Alexander Novoselov that you might be interested in; it will be 6000kr but a few days shorter than the other ones, more info soon!

Most students who graduate end up working with art one way or another, even if it is part time. We have a few students who are teachers at the school now, some paint freelance and others start working in the game/movie industry.
    The Swedish game developer DICE have visited the school a couple of times to help the concept art interested students improve their portfolios and hopefully get hired by companies after graduation.
    A lot of students also work part time with art during their studies at the school.

Cheers!

/Ville

Last edited by archipelago; March 4th, 2012 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi again. I missed open house and can't be at open croquis tonight so I have a question or two.
    When you study and do value studies and cast copies is it painstakingly slow and tedious? Is it better to do a 4 hour cast copy with the values done correct than say three 1 hour+ studies without THAT much details.
    Just wondering if the method is strict to the extreme or if it just is me that don't understand just how effecient this method of learning is.

I understand that when you start paintning it's good to start with a limited palette. But I'm justs afraid the whole method is to tedious for me.
    What can you say about all this. Convince me wrong, thinking about applaying the next few days.

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Magnus,

I wouldn't say that it is painstaking, and it's not any more tedious than working any other type of art into good quality. This is probably something you have to learn to appreciate if you want to be an artist. I usually listen to audiobooks, podcasts and music while at school and it makes the studies a joy for me, I can then easily focus on improving my craft, whilst the other parts of my brain are kept entertained.

I think that quicker and longer studies are both equally important. The school does have a focus on longer studies but there's plenty of shorter studies worked into the curriculum too, like gesture figure drawings, quick cast studies, one day figure and portrait poses, illustration challenges and much more.

Starting with a limited palette is an excellent way to quickly grasp the complexities of color mixing, it allows you to get almost every color you need whilst still keeping things simple and therefore easier to learn. It may seem tedious, but I think it would be more tedious to suddenly jump into a full color palette and have to figure out the characteristics of the colors all at once. "Limited" is a bit of a misleading title also, it is only referring to the amount of colors in a palette, not the potential of them. Many master painters use limited palettes extensively, whether for blocking shapes in as an underpainting or as a clever way to get color harmony or just because it is that much more easier and simpler to use than a full palette.

I hope that clarified things a bit

Here is the Summer 2012 workshops poster!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Czech out the photos from the school trip to Prague over on our blog! http://atelierstockholm.tumblr.com/p...30/prague-trip

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We will be having a open house on the 2nd of June where you can meet the students and teachers, check out the school and see some awesome art! The school will be open around 14:00-16:00, anyone is welcome to drop by!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5