Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Official Atelier Stockholm thread

Thanks
    Hi again. I missed open house and can't be at open croquis tonight so I have a question or two.
    When you study and do value studies and cast copies is it painstakingly slow and tedious? Is it better to do a 4 hour cast copy with the values done correct than say three 1 hour+ studies without THAT much details.
    Just wondering if the method is strict to the extreme or if it just is me that don't understand just how effecient this method of learning is.

I understand that when you start paintning it's good to start with a limited palette. But I'm justs afraid the whole method is to tedious for me.
    What can you say about all this. Convince me wrong, thinking about applaying the next few days.

Thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hello Magnus,

I wouldn't say that it is painstaking, and it's not any more tedious than working any other type of art into good quality. This is probably something you have to learn to appreciate if you want to be an artist. I usually listen to audiobooks, podcasts and music while at school and it makes the studies a joy for me, I can then easily focus on improving my craft, whilst the other parts of my brain are kept entertained.

I think that quicker and longer studies are both equally important. The school does have a focus on longer studies but there's plenty of shorter studies worked into the curriculum too, like gesture figure drawings, quick cast studies, one day figure and portrait poses, illustration challenges and much more.

Starting with a limited palette is an excellent way to quickly grasp the complexities of color mixing, it allows you to get almost every color you need whilst still keeping things simple and therefore easier to learn. It may seem tedious, but I think it would be more tedious to suddenly jump into a full color palette and have to figure out the characteristics of the colors all at once. "Limited" is a bit of a misleading title also, it is only referring to the amount of colors in a palette, not the potential of them. Many master painters use limited palettes extensively, whether for blocking shapes in as an underpainting or as a clever way to get color harmony or just because it is that much more easier and simpler to use than a full palette.

I hope that clarified things a bit

Here is the Summer 2012 workshops poster!

Thanks
    Czech out the photos from the school trip to Prague over on our blog! http://atelierstockholm.tumblr.com/p...30/prague-trip

Thanks
    We will be having a open house on the 2nd of June where you can meet the students and teachers, check out the school and see some awesome art! The school will be open around 14:00-16:00, anyone is welcome to drop by!

Thanks
    hi i want to enroll into an art school in europe or america, cause here in colombia there are no art schools, But in most of the european countries (except rusia, armenia and kosovo) and America they ask you for visa, and thats one hard thing to get for a colombian fellow with not so much money, anyway will give it a try .

is a total requirement to present portfolio?
    i was not that much into drawing 6 months ago, im a graphic designer, and want to become concept artist, i want to begin my path with classical training in art.

-where exactly is located your academy?
    -you teach realism or construction method?
    -I just speak english and spanish, will that be a problem?
    -will there be a posibility of me enrolling there and taking a part time job to finance it? (will do any job)

Thanks
    hmm, is this csn supported?

Thanks
    We are on summer holidays right now, so I'm sorry for taking so long to respond.

netxhunter - you definitely need a portfolio according to the enrollment instructions on the website, but the most important thing is that you show passion and love for art. You can be at any skill level to enroll to the school.

The school is located in Bergshamra in Stockholm.

We focus on realism (inspired by european 18th century teaching techniques) but we do have a lot of guest teachers come in to teach the "construction" style of drawing (using simple shapes to blog in a gesture for example).

Being able to speak english or swedish is fine, all the teachers know english very well. About 40% of the students are from abroad, so a lot of the discussions are in english.

A lot of students have part time jobs on the side (weekends or evening usually) and it works fine for them.

Sanny - Yes! We have CSN, the status we have with them currently does not cover the tuition, but it allows for financial aid and student loans for swedish citizens. Foreign students can get student loans from their own countries but not through CSN.

Thanks
    Hi!
    I'm really interested in your atelier but I don't know if I have the drawing skills.
    What are you looking for in the portfolios, is an interest in drawing realistically enough?
    How many people applying end up being accepted?

I wonder about money also - how much is the expected living costs?
    Does one have to pay for the material?

Thanks
    hi, I live in Sweden and have dyslexia, so if I write a little wrong so sorry in advance.
    I just drawn people of one year only and i was just wondering do you take the beginner, I have made a portfolio, i did my portfolio in a six days course of classical drawing,
    Here is the link to the course i did http://www.folkuniversitetet.se/Kurs...kning/?sr=true . I do hope it okay to post up the link.

Thanks
    Dahlium - Because it is such a small school we adapt to the students individual needs, and any artist with any level of skill can apply. The most important thing is that you show great interest in art and of course drawing from life.

Living costs can vary a lot depending on how you live, rent in stockholm usually goes for around 3000sek a month (but it depends a lot on many different things) Food you could get for under 1000sek a month (varies too on your own habits)

Mr.kamikaze - If you built up a portfolio during that course I think it would be fine to apply with.

Thanks
    Hi again, i got one more question, when to write in Student Application, should I write in Swedish or should I write in English?

Thanks
    Mr.kamikaze - English would probably be best because some of the teachers are english speaking, but if you don't feel comfortable with that you could write it in swedish.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3