General critique?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

General critique?

So I'm pretty new to CA, and I'm not sure if this belongs here (or if I should start a sketchbook thread instead ), but I was just looking for some general critique/comments/whatever on what I've been working on lately.
    I'll probably keep this thread updated, if you guys could give me some direction : p

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Are these photo studies or your own art (as in not just copies of photos)? Because especially the hawk has that "drawn/painted from a photo" look.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Because especially the hawk has that "drawn/painted from a photo" look.
    Out of curiosity, Tiny, how can you tell the difference? Not questioning your assessment, just how you came to it. I do a lot of drawing from photo reference and would like to avoid that look if I can.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellye View Post
    Out of curiosity, Tiny, how can you tell the difference? Not questioning your assessment, just how you came to it.
    Well, I'm not sure if I can explain it properly, but to me it's mainly the colours and the way they are applied. Like the colours look like they aren't applied while thinking the feather and overall structure of the hawk and put there methodically (for example, darks first, the lights or other way around), but rather like "this colour goes here, and this other colour goes here and this one goes there", picking up specific colours and putting them on their places you see in the photo. Also for some reason the fact that the light is very white emphasizes that photo copy look, since it's something that photos may make more visible and it doesn't really look like an "I choose this light colour" choice.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You probably should do a sketchbook...it's good for ongoing critique of your progress (though you often have to grab people by the lapels and shake them to make them go look). This forum is more for specific individual pieces you're struggling with.

I clicked on this one because the little falcon looked lovely in the thumbnail. You're approaching digital in a good way, with firm strokes, good color choices and high opacity. Just, ummm...do a lot more of it, I guess.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Well, I'm not sure if I can explain it properly, but to me it's mainly the colours and the way they are applied. Like the colours look like they aren't applied while thinking the feather and overall structure of the hawk and put there methodically (for example, darks first, the lights or other way around), but rather like "this colour goes here, and this other colour goes here and this one goes there", picking up specific colours and putting them on their places you see in the photo. Also for some reason the fact that the light is very white emphasizes that photo copy look, since it's something that photos may make more visible and it doesn't really look like an "I choose this light colour" choice.
    Thanks for the explanation Tiny, that actually makes perfect sense! I will keep that in mind for further pieces.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.