Sketchbook: Catching up on a wasted life.... - Page 5
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Catching up on a wasted life....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your environment stuff a lot a alot a lot! Especially the waterfall one with vegetation

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to joshbailey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @WRappiii: Thank you very much I haven't been that hardworking throughout this sb, but hopefully I'll get more time starting from today.

@ joshbailey: Heh, I'm happy you like the environments since that's what I personally like to be great at more than anything else! Thanks a lot

__________________________________________________ _________________

1) Pose study done yesterday
    2-4) Drawings from Slotssøen in Kolding. Drawing nature from RL is actually damn difficult! Gotta arrange some watercontainers for next time coz then I'll paint instead. Not really sure anyone but me can figure out wtf I have been trying to draw here though
    5+6) ...And a few photos of the ducks now that I couldn't find a place to sit and draw nearby

Attached Images Attached Images            

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You are doing the right things by drawing outside, studying poses etc...

But I have to ask, why are the outside pictures so rushed? The sketchmarks
    are quite haphazard at the moment and while I can easily see what I am
    looking at, you did not seem to take the time to develop any of the shapes
    or forms.
    You mentioned in your post that you feel you are surprised anyone can make
    out what the drawings are. Have you thought about why that may be?

Not every sketch has to be a masterpiece, true, but I think its time you exercised
    more control with your mark making and give some thought as to why you are
    making a mark in relation to your subject matter.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Star Eater: Thank you very much for your kind reply and help

I'm totally nervous sketching outside, feeling slightly embarassed when people walk by... But apart from that lousy excuse you are very right, I don't really pay much attention to the marks... Mostly because I honestly don't know how to do it?
    Next time I will try and just make a few things individually instead of fitting them into one whole piece... you think that will work? I mean, then I'll learn the "objects" individually instead of trying to make some sloppy attempt at saving myself with weird self-invented marks just to distingush the items from each other?

Regardless, marks is something I never even considered I should consider like this, so really thanks a lot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally I would carry on depicting the whole scene, but work
    all around the page and work softly, lightly at first. Work lightly
    for quite a while
    before you start applying pressure, do that
    gradually, taking note of the values in front of you and
    where lightest and darkest parts of the scene are. Be
    selective with your dark areas.

And take your time, I know it can be awkward drawing in
    public, but its really not that strange. But don't rush
    the images at this stage or else you won't be taking in
    as much about them as you should.

Remember, you are trying to depict a 3d form on a
    2d piece of paper using a pencil. It can be done.

Thats just my 2 cents anyway.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I get very nervous drawing in public places, and often my drawings come out much worse because of it. I have found a few ways to reduce that anxiety though. I tend to either drag a bunch of other people along to draw with me (in which case you get asked a lot if it’s for a class), or pick the place well so it reduces the chance of someone looking over your shoulder or commenting. Putting your back against trees, drawing on buses where people tend to not look at other people (let alone talk to them), or sitting in a corner of a cafe or bar where everyone’s doing their own thing seems to work for me. Sometimes going to a totally new location where you haven’t been before, or switching to a different medium (eg paint), can also help reduce the nerves for me.

Don’t know if any of that would help you.
    Keep up sketching outside, its lotsa fun =]
    About the drawing part, Star Eaters advice is priceless. Very much like. I need to take it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Carrie Sprod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow another Dane! It's never too late to begin drawing, so I'm happy to see you're keeping at it. I think StarEater is right on the money, remember it's all about practicing your observational skills. I never went outside to draw from life, but I can see why it'd feel weird to do it in front of other people. I can barely stand having people I know watch me while I'm drawing, let alone doing it in public, but like everything else it's probably just a question of getting used to it. Play some loud music, bet that'll help you get more comfortable at the start (and people won't disturb you)!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to yochanan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Star Eater: Thank you so much again for all your help and support

I tried to follow your advice and redid one of the sketches. The weather really sucks now so I did it from what I could remember and otherwise the sketch and imagination

When doing it, I noticed I have a problem with keeping the most highlighted areas free of graphite, even if I go slow.... But I guess it's practice because I don't assume I'm supposed to use eraser?

Actually, what really ruined it was that there were a bunch of tourists there. TWICE some of them (2 different groups) decided to stand right in front of me blocking my view, and I'm sitting there with my sketchbook trying to peak around them not knowing what to do so I just finished up in warp speed!

Well, I hope you like how your advice turned out, next time I'll have a normal sharp pencil ready for the grassy stuff

@ Carrie Sprod: Thank you very much for your suggestions
    The place I was at is a public lake, and the benches are all placed right at the path going around the lake.
    If I can figure out where the forest is, I will definitely consider going there next time!

But yeah, a group would have been great.
    Do you btw get noticed when you sit in a corner? I just imagine myself if I saw someone sitting in a corner with a little book scribbling something while intensely staring in my direction... I'd flee!

I'll look at your suggestions next time I go out to draw, and then see if I can find such place, thanks

@ Yochanan: Oh no... someone potentially nearby who can come and kick my ass literally if I start slacking! xD
    Hehe, Thanks for your kind encouragement
    Hmmm music... Loud... I'm afraid that may actually attract people's attention, but then again if I just put on some mean death metal they should walk waaaayyyy far around me. Now see, that's a great potential solution!

You really should try it out, drawing in public, it should be worth it (or so I hear) even though it can be hard on the ego

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Today's updates:

1) A redo of one of the sketches from yesterday now trying to follow Star Eater's advice on marks
    2) Watercolor - did it after looking at a bunch of landscapes and some perspective theory. Done from part memory and part imagination. The path does not go as steep down as I would have liked it to, and as usual: shadows! I tried going for the colors I used mixed with a bit of purple but eh! ...Not to mention the technical errors and the weird hill behind the tree... In general, I think it failed, but happy that I at least made an honest attempt at it. Next time, I'll just try and do way better

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, thanks for visiting my sketchbook
    good luck with your practice, I have a lot of catching up to do as well, as I have started pretty late.

btw I think that yochanan meant you should put on headphones with some loud music, at least that's what a lot of people do, when sketching in the public. The music would block out the outside noises and help you to concentrate. It also discourages people from walking up to you to have a chat.
    If you want to draw people put on dark glasses as well, so they can't see you are staring at them

15. The Following User Says Thank You to martisimus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im nervous about drawing in public too. So far ive only done it in the break room and have done 'safe' stuff from imagination. I even have a special book that i use for public because people have asked me to see stuff and i dont want to bring my crappiest ones. As for your sketchbook I think its turning out quite well. I can already see the improvements. Im sorry i dont have much good advice atm. Though i think the music thing is a good idea. I hope you draw/paint the ducks!

Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Wingal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Martisimus: Thanks for visiting here too

Hehe, even with headphones I think people may hear it. At least some of the people I walk by on the streets I can even hear what kind of music they are listening to sometimes. And if they listen to rock/metal, I have twice been able to tell the band.... however, my headphones may be usable, because none from my old work complained and I used them constantly there... Gotta find my mp3 player and some dark glasses, thanks!

@ Wingal: Thanks a lot for commenting Wingal
    ...People ask to see stuff!? *faint*
    Is it rude to play deaf? Seriously, I'd flee!

Don't worry about whether or not you give advice. I can't do that either. And yes, maybe I'll draw the ducks someday

__________________________________________________ __________________

So new images...
    Both are from my "Have No Life" adventure journal, but they are based on an assignment given by Crane:
    Basically make some weird plants and give them a background story

First one is without reference, second one is with reference. The star tree is actually done with metallic gel pens, but the "metallic" got lost in the scan

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice water colour piece Trix.

Only thing that bothers me is that tree and the hill together on the
    one side. I'm not getting a sense of depth from either of them and
    they both seem to be resting along the edge of the page. Which
    is weighing down the image to the one side. The tree
    and the hill appear almost connected to each other.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Even if people hear it, I think it'll still work as far as them not bothering you about it goes! You can definitely find some headphones that isolate the sound though, that'll help you ignore the sounds around you too. Oh and yes, you never know. Denmark is certainly too small to risk it, so better keep drawing!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to yochanan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So sorry for the delay on my reply

@ Star Eater: I can see what you mean with the tree + bg issue. Thank you so much for your help

@ Yochanan: Thanks Hehe, I found some headphones... but I think the glasses may be more needed since I'd like a warning (like hearing people talk) to know when it's time to discretely run away from there

__________________________________________________ _________

Laziest update ever!!! Haven't had much time with art nor webdesign during the past few weeks due to moving. But I did manage a few sketches after moving in here... And yeah, they are kind of squeezed into one photo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New stuff.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome! Never give up your dreams!
    There is already a lot of improvement! Keep going!

If i was to give you advice it would be - take your time with the drawings, look at things carefully, start with simple forms good luck!

♦♦♦ SKETCHBOOK ♦♦♦
    DEVIANTARTSKETCHBLOGTWITTER

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Natalia Soleil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Natalia: Thank you very much for the kind encouragement and tip

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: The drawing.... I used a random skull for basic reference, but otherwise from imagination

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

I had fun reading through your sketchbook. I think my favorites are your landscapes and the anatomy studies. I think it's awesome you're getting back into it. I'm actually doing the same thing. Heading back to college with my GI bill here in August to major in Art. So, it looks like we'll both be practicing quite a bit

30. The Following User Says Thank You to elliste For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ elliste: Thank you very much for your kind comment I wish you the very best in your art education!

__________________________________________________ ________________

New uploads, now that I'm at it...

These are stroke-experiments, no effort put into it!!!
    -Meaning, you are always very welcome to critique, but when I didn't put any effort nor brains into these images uploaded in this post, then neither should you, really... This is more or less just because I should get back to update every day and this is right now the only new stuff I have

So yeah... these are some of the results trying to get to know the brushes in Painter 12...

Hopefully some new and MUCH better ones are ready soon, depending on me I guess

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Trixar, Checkin in on ya again.

Yeah, Edward Cullen (although a very attractive dude) has very wide hips. Hes kinda super masculine and kinda feminine in a sense. I see you've noticed that too.. giving him boobs, lol.

Defiantly seeing improvement. Especially with the memory drawing you did, and your figures as well. My only suggestion would be to get the loomis book but I see you already have it.

Keep it up!!

Immoral Cintiq's Sketchbook

"Society will DRAW a circle that shuts me out, but my superior thoughts will DRAW me in." -Marva Collins

"Character is what you know you are not what others think you are." -Marva Collins

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Immortal Cintiq For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!Missed your stuff
    Great work on the landscapes its pretty interesting

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Izene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Immortal Cintiq
    +
    @ Izene:

Thanks so very much guys!!! -Sorry for my absence, but seems like I'm back
    after I am now officially permitted (correct word?) by the "job authorities" to just focus on my art and writing :p

Well, seems like the "depression" gets postponed afterall...

__________________________________________________ _____________

New additions now that I'm at it! Hopefully I can make some more impressive stuff in the future now starting up again with daily art-practice The 2 images shown here are 2 of the very few I managed to do in months *sigh*

1: Life drawing from a small path nearby where I live
    2: Watercolor doodles just to get myself up and going... both had refs to start with but ended up finishing it up without

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG I can't figure out how this works after the update

Name:  sketchdump.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  100.2 KBName:  snowish.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  58.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have no idea where the usual thingy-box went where I'm supposed to write the image infos such as what medium is used, and category etc? Is it just me who can't find it?

Anyways...
    Cow: Crayon - reference
    People: Pencil - reference
    Bane: Mechanical pencil + graphite block for background - reference

Sorry for the bad scan and photo-quality!

Name:  bane.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  208.2 KBName:  cow.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  39.8 KBName:  sketch-stuff-people.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  21.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    meh... artrage + proportion -practice....

Name:  sketch3.png
Views: 65
Size:  424.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After a long break doing mostly art journal-blah, I am now back to the serious stuff.
    So I guess you can say I managed to waste even more of my life?
    I apologize for the lack of progress, hopefully I haven't been set back too much either.

Anyways, the buildings are mainly just ideas for Blender-projects... NOT that I can make that software submit to my will at all!
    I just can't afford the C4D license so it's kind of my only choice at the moment. But someday.... *Wishful thinking*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook! Those building ideas are cool--some of them remind me of middle eastern urban architecture. I enjoy your outdoor drawings too. Are you still doing those?

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Cider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome back!
    What's art journal-blah?

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Cider: Thanks a lot for the kind comment!
    Yeah well... I will probably do more outdoor stuff when the weather gets better. A lot of them has been made of image refs as inspiration.
    Don't you by the way have a sketchbook? -Just because often (unfortunately not always) I visit the sketchbooks of the people visiting mine

@ Leonor: You mean what art journaling is? Art journal is mostly design I guess combining colors/textures/images with typography. It has an excessive use of "cheats" like stamps and stencils, and now they also made it possible to print with stencils. I usually cut my own, unless it's really fancy like the brick wall :p But eh, I guess photoshop has several "cheats" as well, so I don't know what to think of it. Some people do pretty cool paintings and drawings from scratch along with it though, but mostly it's just... colorful abstract-ish mixed media blah, however often looking VERY cool

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Members who have read this thread: 6