Sketchbook: Catching up on a wasted life.... - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Catching up on a wasted life....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gorgeous and great improvement! Those still lives are really looking up and I love your portraits! Keep it up!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckyCharm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Trixtar, Wow already on Page 4, Keep it up! imo, your portraits are strongest, And I like how you show form with the horse.

Immoral Cintiq's Sketchbook

"Society will DRAW a circle that shuts me out, but my superior thoughts will DRAW me in." -Marva Collins

"Character is what you know you are not what others think you are." -Marva Collins

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Immortal Cintiq For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ UmpaArt: Thank you so very much, I appreciate the comment

@ Hunin: Thank you very much for the comment and tip Yes I am drawing painfully little from RL, I am actually started to get very embarrassed that I always have to admit that it doesn't happen more often

@ LuckyCharm: Thank you very much for the comment, very appreciated

@ Immortal Cintiq: Also thanks to you for your kind comment
    Heh, yeah... I can't believe I'm on page 4 because I spend like 100 hours LESS on art per week than I would like to :p Gotta change that...

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Job-stress is starting to wear me down so there's just not much energy left to do art at the moment. I'm so super frustrated! If anyone knows how to write a killer job application I am open for all tips I can get!!!

But yeah anyways.... new stuff:

1) Camera bag... The leather texture was way too advanced for my level :p
    2) Santa hung himself. It's kinda an idea I got from a Danish band called Red Warszawa but then I thought more of it while drawing, and actually to me Santa's spirit kinda died... Now he's just a commercial figure, closer to a joke than anything else.
    3) Form + proportion practice
    4+5) Watercolor, descriptions in images

Attached Images Attached Images          

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks good

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxhound[DEV] For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Foxhound: Thank you very much

__________________________________________________ ___

This drawing has a lousy image-quality, and it's not even the scanner's fault today!

Well, the drawing came out so well that I decided to show, but since I use the same thing as a journal I somehow wanted to blur the text... :p

I hope you guys can get an impression of it anyways.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're totally going to get to that point you mentioned if you keep at it like this! Tons of potential in here. You have a nice understanding of perspective without too much practice already! You handle color and brush very nicely.

The Sketchbook of Naj and Stu!:
    SKETCHBOOK

And of course go check out the SB of DefiledVisions

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart DeViva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ UmpaArt: Thank you so very much again for your kind comment and encouragement!
    I feel all flattered that you came back to check again

__________________________________________________ _______________

New drawing... Actuallly I guess you can say the first "real" drawing from life of another human being!

But of course he had to move like I don't know how many times! -Even though I told him DO NOT MOVE! *sulk*

So yeah, heavy use of eraser and weird lines. Several head/arm poses into one drawing!

I definitely need some advice on how to apprach drawing people IRL, because this simply won't work if I'm to sketch at a café or something. So any advice will be appreciated very much!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its been a while since I checked your stuff, nice progress I especially like those enviro studies, its really great that you cover the basics and experiment. I should have done that when starting enviros, it would have helped me alot. Keep it up!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to -D_art- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ -D_art-: Thanks for checking back and the kind comment

I actually feel like I'm running in safe-zone circles with the enviros.
    You have a damn impressive SB, so it's really hard to accept that you could have done anything wrong in any process! Then again, I don't know how long it took you to get to where you are now :p

Well, new stuff.
    1) Grudge-kid...
    2)Crappy gesture drawings at this night's NBA game Knicks vs. Heat. I drew so I was more busy with that in stressful moments than yelling at the screen! It's kind of a problem when the game is shown here 01-03 am and people are sleeping
    3) Had the camera in use today, so I thought I'd shoot this while I was at it.. It's my de-stress door-piece I go crazy on once in a while :p
    4) This went through the WIP-section (I asked for advice about the shadow from the orange onto the banana because it utterly failed) and got great advice-feedback already however most on the background though, but feel free to add if anything! Just decided to re-do it again soonish that fiddle anymore with this one. I just need something to create background with, so it may take some time until I can afford bright fabrics or something.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 714 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The last one looks great, love the texture in the background. The depth of field is working very good in your studies, keep it up!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ricardo Robles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving the grudge boy, I'd hang in on my wall

Don't hate me, updating my sb is so much effort, I have to take pictures, most of the time I have to re take them cause of blur, then upload them to the comp, shrink them all one by one, then upload them one by one lol REALLY need that bulk uploader.

I'll try and update the sketchbook as much as I can, I do want to get a decent one going.

btw do you have skype? I want to add more arty contacts, I have no one to talk art with XD

Crit for a crit!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Crane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Ricardo: Thank you very much for the nice comment

@ Crane: Thanks so much *lol* -And great that you have started updating your sb, now even more often than me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I needed some kind of new strategy because I was kind of stalling, so I made a bunch of new sketchbooks while thinking. Crumbled up paper, tinted it with various stuff. And thanks Crane for showing how it's possible to use a hole puncher, otherwise I'm not sure I could have made such oldish fluffy pages into a book

And here we are, this is the first of the bunch, a test one, so no special cover. My life it totally boring, so I decided to create myself a new life while practicing drawing... Guess this makes it a story sketchbook then?

I used both reference and imagination...

Sorry for the bad scan quality. Seems like "fluffy pages" don't work well with an already crappy scanner

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Materials for staining:

1 x coffee
    1 x coffee + black ink
    1 x black ink + umber acrylics

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ..And the adventure journey of "my life is boring and sucks" continues

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Trixtar it's great to see you drawing away. I was a very late starter myself but I don't really think it matters what age you start drawing as once you have the passion it's just as much fun whatever your age

I can tell that you are keen to get on and learn and perhaps beating yourself up a little because you feel you should be doing more, or faster or better. I want to tell you to just relax and always remember to keep if fun. You are doing it because you enjoy it so set yourself goals but try not to kill yourself with pressure when you don't achieve them straight away.

Also try not to think negatively about your drawings, it can be a damaging thing to do. Of course be aware of where you struggled and what didn't work so you can practice and study those areas but also look for what you did right. Even in those drawings you feel went totally wrong there will be something good you can take forward. Positive thinking is the way to go when drawing.

I love your crumpled paper homemade sketchbooks, very creative.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Trixtar,

Great to see you working so hard and improving here. I started when I was 35 so I understand how difficult it can be with the other pressures of being all growed-up, and not over the hump of "everything is difficult". Keep up the good work. I might suggest doing some more speedSketches / paints / master copies etc. And you know the mantra about drawing from life etc. I struggle all the time to get stuff done, and have gone for months and months at a time without the time (I tell myself) or the inclination to do anything. But every now and then I get , or give myself a kick in the but (resulted in me taking the sketchbook plunge myself). Keep it up and you'll be fine. It's all good.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Marian: Thank you very much for your great encouragement

You are right, sometimes I get more disappointed about my art than I really should. I will train up a more positive attitude and hopefully I can get more done, because I think you are right that it can be damaging to be too self-critic...

And thanks for the kind comment about my handmade sketchbooks!

@ Cleveland: Thanks so much for your kind comment and for sharing you own experience

Yes, it is very hard sometimes seeing a 20 year old here being so far ahead of me! A constant reminder of what I should have done when I was that age *lol*

Hehe, yes I know the "draw from life", and hopefully I can get out and do some nature this weekend. Would be so cool if I could!

I struggle with the speed drawing. My mind seem to just stress and everything looks from worse than bad to diastrous, but I hope it will come with time.

Thanks again

__________________________________________________ ____________

I took a short break from my little adventure-trip, but will return to it ASAP... it's actually kind of fun to do

Well, first one is a study from some kind of 1min. pose video I found on Youtube. And yes I cheated and stopped the time! What is shown here is more like a 10-15min sketch, and it is probably attempt #8!

Second one is a cute puppy, image used for reference...

Oh yeah, and then I made a new A6 sized sketchbook today. The cover is made out of a box from a frozen pizza, texture is paper towels from dabbing the paper dry with after tinting that I recycled, and painted with acrylics...

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Smiling puppy approves

Name:  1327024679-82213.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  95.3 KB

Crit for a crit!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Crane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Crane (& puppy): Thanks very much, also for finding the cute little thing

-----------------------------------------------------------

1) The first drawing I have ever done while standing! Something tells me I need to go to the gym or whatever way to train my arms, coz I was totally cramped up after 1min!
    Done on a scrap paper from the sketchbook/journal production..

2 + 3) ...And my I-have-no-life adventure continues...

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know the feeling of having a wasted life behind you! Atleast your stuff is looking better and better now! Keep up the good work

36. The Following User Says Thank You to DennisH-Art For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have made a lot of progress from your first post. I don't think that it is ever too late to learn to draw. I remember a while back a guy (can't remember his name) who started drawing in his 40s and he was working professionally within 10yrs. Don't feel so bad about wasted time. Age gives you an advantage in art. Your eyes have more expereance seeing than younger artists. I've noticed that people generally have very simular grow in art. A 16yr olds work looks very much like anothers. The most important tool an artist has is the eyes. The rest is just rising the technicial ability of the hands to match what you see.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome, theres a lot of improvement happening.
    The painting of the Brook in your sketchbook is quite beautiful. As for drawing people from life, I guess mileage is the thing that will answer all your questions. Keep it up!

Immoral Cintiq's Sketchbook

"Society will DRAW a circle that shuts me out, but my superior thoughts will DRAW me in." -Marva Collins

"Character is what you know you are not what others think you are." -Marva Collins

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Immortal Cintiq For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ DennisH: Thank you very much for your kind comment

@ Shorinji_Knight: Thank you very much for that great encouragement!
    I never really thought about that age could have anything to say in general, I thought it was more about perception of things and the ability to observe beyond what non-artists see?

But eh, I like the idea and also thanks for informing me that age has little meaning in a bigger picture

@ Immortal Cintiq: Thanks so much for your kind comments and for checking back
    -I hope you are ready to kick my ass if you ever see me do anything but improve?
    Brook, that's the waterfall right? Heh, I had to look at the dictionary to figure out what you meant

__________________________________________________ ______________

So here we go with the updates...
    1+2) The ink-doodles are just me being silly with my ink and a brush, no refs.
    3) Attempt at studies from a website with life drawing models
    4) Rope practice... OMG I never thought a rope could be so much of a headache! I also tried to make it into perspective, but failed heavily. I will try another attempt at some point after studying perspective a bit more I guess. These are a mix of imagination but used a string as ref.
    5) Another "I have no life" update... The only thing from observation is my hand, the chest and amulet/medallion is imagination. I don't get how you're supposed to use yourself as model, I couldn't get my hand in the same position between the drawing. So I really can't wrap my head around how it's supposed to work making the entire "myself" as a life model at the same time of drawing!?

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1: Crumbled bottle, 1˝ min
    2: Salt-thingy, about 3 min
    3: Egg light studies, from real life done in acrylics
    4: Photos of the setups for the egg studies
    5: One of the newest sketchjournals I created

Ohaeri is offline Cranky? Yep, that's me. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trixtar,

You've made a great start here for sure! The best tip that I can offer is to measure a lot--start out by painting what you think you see, then measure it with a piece of string, your brush/pencil, a ruler, or just whatever you have handy. This forces you to recognize when you've gotten something wrong, which leads directly to you being able to correct it and/or observe it right the first time. I recommend correcting it when you see a mistake so that you can continue the drawing/painting until it's done and looks really good.

One thing I noticed on the eggs is that the areas of light and shadow don't seem to match what I see in the picture. This might be because the light changed between when you painted and when you took a picture; sunlight is like that. On the egg to the left, I see a little bit of shadow with some reflected color, but it's a lot smaller than what I see in the picture. Similarly, I see a great big highlight on that same egg that doesn't show up in your picture. The second one is a little blurry so it's hard to see, but the shadow is much fainter and there's not much of a highlight. But, again, it looks like possibly the light changed, so I don't know.

Keep at it and you'll get it eventually!

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Ohaeri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook!

I especially like the sketchbook journals you are making. I was considering starting to make my own sketchbooks because I cannot find the paper I want in them, fantastic to see someone else taking it a step further and making textural objects out of the concept of a sketchbook.

About your drawing, I dont really have any crit, looks like you are practicing the right kind of things. I found studying light and how it reflects greatly increased my drawings seemingly overnight, so its good you are looking at that. Remember to squint your eyes when you are drawing something so you can get a better idea of where the overal shapes and areas of tone are, and how dark they are in comparison to each other.

All I can say is keep it up, and draw any moment any day that you have a chance to!

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Carrie Sprod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Ohaeri: Thank you very much for your inputs
    I don't know what I'm doing wrong when measuring, but I always seem to screw up when more "units" are involved but if I take your idea and maybe use a paper-strip instead of a string, I can draw in the unit lines? Because using my fingers seems to make it worse... Hah gotta try that out sometime today hopefully

Yes, the light was different in real life than on the photo. They are very dull on the photos. Also, heh, I don't know if that what's causing the confusion but I managed to switch the images, so the left egg on the painting is the one on the right on the photos? Heh, should probably have written that... Otherwise, you are right about things in general. I think it's because I'm really bad at color mixing so whenever I try to fix a failed color.... *sigh*.... I know, should learn to start over right away.

Anyways, thanks for taking your time in replying with so many great inputs

@ Carrie Sprod: Thank you very much for your kind comment
    I can only encourage you to make your own sketchbooks! It's fun and you can make them into whatever you want!

I will continue practice light and form, and hopefully it pays off in the long run

__________________________________________________ ____________

Very sloppy update.
    It's kind of hard discussing serious matter while trying to do serious drawing practice at the same time! And I really need to find my ruler...

Well, decided to post some of it anyways since I feel like I need to update the sb with something, anything!!! Otherwise I may just end up not doing it at all

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its fun to see you improving!
    My best advice is to draw from life and start with something simple. Just experiment, doing wrong is great cause then you learn something!
    And do what you think is fun, cause then you'll keep doing it!

50. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahlium For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Dahlium: Thank you very much for your kind comment

__________________________________________________ _________________

1) ...And the "adventure" continues.... First one is oil pastel + black marker, second is charcoal pencil
    2) Yeah well, still a lot about proportions I need to learn before I can make a proper portrait. Should have been Sam from SG-1.

I used reference for all drawings in this post!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks like youre a hard worker! lets see some more
    awesome binded books!

53. The Following User Says Thank You to WRappiii For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6