Sketchbook: Catching up on a wasted life.... - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Catching up on a wasted life....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, nice to see so much effort and your willingness to experiment. It's probably been said a lot, but you should focus on your structure and basic drawing skills. When I look at your drawings, or any of your works, I can tell that you are drawing lines without understanding the forms and how they interact. Pay attention to everything, all the way down to your line work. Take a look at your ellipses for example (I'm looking at post 51). None of them are drawn properly. Slow down and take it easy with your shapes. Make your circles look like circles, and your boxes look like boxes. For your figures watch the proportions, and again structure. Forget about graph paper and train your eye to see all the little details that makes what you are drawing what it is.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Avvatar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Avvatar: Thank you very much for your comment

You are so right in everything you say, and I appreciate your advice very much!
    First step is I guess that I need to slow down and study the object itself before launching right into the drawing... And then in general draw slower, which is where speed drawings on youtube becomes a problem because my brain tries to imitate the speed.

I can tell that you are drawing lines without understanding the forms and how they interact
    With this you mean proportion, perspective/angle, and how the various basic shapes of an object comes together as a whole? If yes, then that is very true. If no, then what do you mean? -Just checking to see if I screw up heavily in areas I'm not even the slightest aware of! :p

Hopefully the proportions will then kind of get fixed too along the way.
    So thank you, the rest of my day will be dedicated to basic shapes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!

Keep drawing, your improving!

Hvis du leder efter et sted at sketche mennesker, der sidder stille, uden at de opdager det, så er s-toget helt fantastisk! Hver anden kupe har siddepladser hvor der ikke sidder nogen over for en. Find en pensionist der er i gang med at lave kryds-og-tværs, de sidder altid meget stille Hvis du er interesseret i hvordan sådan nogle train-sketches kan se ud så har jeg uploadet nogle af mine i min sketchbook (halvvejs nede i posten):
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=532

Du kan også finde croquis nær der hvor du bor. F.eks har christianshavns beboerhus aften-croquis en gang om ugen.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonas_J For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Braintree: Thank you very much for your kind comment and advice

Heh, jeg bor i Kolding så der er ik så meget s-tog her, men håber at kunne finde en bedre plads i storcentret næste gang indtil jeg har en undskyldning for at rejse med tog :p
    Jeps, der er en croquis klub her som jeg regner med at besøge snarest efter eksamen er overstået om et par uger

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So... after some great advice earlier today, I have now practiced some line and form. Still disastrous results so far though, but hopefully a bit better :p

First a bunch of pen-doodle-thumbs I did a few days ago all from imagination. Then a stone-texture practice (ref from google search) and towel-fold practice (my towel) done yesterday.

And after all that comes what was made today.
    The horse image is found from a google search, the rest is stuff found in my room.

Please feel free to critique and give advice so I can get better faster

Attached Images Attached Images                    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice looking studies! keep it up, your straight lines and ellipses get a bit crooked here and there, but this will get sorted out with more practice
    Buy a sketchbook if you don't already have one and keep it with your always, and sketch stuff from observation as often as you can!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Trixtar. You have the basic idea of my statement, now just apply it. For example take the horse drawing you just did. It is flat because you haven't drawn in all the underlying structure and forms that make up a horse. For your next drawings, try describing the volume through your shapes. Don't worry about shading, get the structure down first. After all, the forms are what creates the shading in the first place. For your next update maybe try drawing one horse and that's it. Take your time, and really try and figure out it's structure and pay attention to proportions. Often it's better to do one good drawing then a hundred rushed ones.

As for my sketchbook, that stuff is really old haha. Haven't updated it in like two years. But if you take a look at my second portfolio it might help a little. I have more recent stuff on my blog if you want to check it out, my animation portfolios are on there too on the last pages which might be nice to look at since structure was extremely important.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Avvatar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool drawing but you have to dig deeper into drawing from life, its most important!
    Anyways cool sketchbook.

Cheers

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thedestroyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Avvatar: Thanks again for your help, it's very much appreciated
    Yes, I rush through a drawing, now practicing to slow VERY much down :p
    I gave up on the first horse because even though I sit with horse-anatomy images next to me, I have trouble finding the exact shapes. Thank god for paper recycling! So I guess I kind of found a fatter horse with straight legs to test on
    Will be uploaded as soon as I have an image that I *think* is rightly done!

Very cool stuff you have there on your blog! -And very inspiring, and I am also looking at that trying to figure out your way of observing and thinking

@ Thedestroyer: Thank you for your kind comment and advice
    You are right, I should draw more from life, and hopefully someday the universe decides to grant us 50 hours per day! Really, no sarcasm intended, at the moment I just take whatever I can come across inside the apartment or the internet. But as soon as the weather clears up, the plan is to sneak out somewhere doing some real life environmental studies... That willl probably also include people...

iven is offline Animator/ Eco-artist/ Caricaturist Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Draw big for structure !

Hi there, good traditional work, I am just about to explore water colors, I am pretty new
    at life drawing as well, you do what I should do. One thing what helped me was
    drawing BIG that forces you to draw structure, that helped me a lot.

Ps.: Thanks for reading the carefully!!

Sketchbook - . Showreal - . Commission me - .

*critique* advice* help full links, is appreciated*

15. The Following User Says Thank You to iven For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Iven: Thanks for the tip and kind comment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Officially, I am studying REALLY HARD for my exam on Monday....
    In reality, I have spent a lot of time annoying everyone in other sections of this forum the past few days, so could just as well update my SB too :p

Still practicing form and shapes, hopefully there's a small improvement or maybe it's just wishful thinking from my part.
    Well, the bird is the form-practice, the alien was just for fun seeing if I could draw with an eraser.

Both have been drawn from reference I found on the internet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Trixtar, thanks for stopping by my sb.

Gotta say, I enjoyed looking through your sketchbook, I really like your pen drawings from imagination- it's great that you can get it down on paper, a lot of people find drawing from imagination intimidating!

Keep going, keep practicing, all the best, h

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Hunin: Thanks very much to you too for dropping by here and leaving such a kind comment

And you keep it up too!!!

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Here's some more new stuff...

First one is a very quick charcoal sketch of Edward Cullen with boobs... some joke I have going with someone :p First I actually tried to make him some very nice boobs, but then I thought that he was like 1000 or whatever years old so eeeeerm.... yeah!

Second drawing was supposed to be Ziva David from NCIS!!! Well, gonna re-try someday in the future I guess since it looks nothing like her!!!

Third is Arwen. I thought I had it right, but when I then looked at it afterwards I could see how uneven her face went. At least now I have a new lamp, so now I can hopefully see better in the evening plus do some light experiments

All have reference from photos found on Google images search-results!

And yeah, hopefully I am starting to get a better idea of form, even though I can see I still have far to go. As long as there is consistent improvement I'll try not to complain

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your SB is far better than mine, I don't understand why you said that about difficult poses. Yours are really good, are you following Loomis too? =)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveGarcia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ DaveGarcia: Thanks you very much for your kind comment, although I still think you have way better work at poses!
    I follow Loomis to some extend on the sideline, but I also use another anatomy book. The most exciting poses (according to my own opinion) are ones taken from MMA fights

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First one is from imagination...

Second has reference from posemaniacs.com

Rest is from reference I found while doing some Google searches for bunnies and mr. Banderas (I honestly don't know what happened to his 5th finger, but it doesn't show on the ref so... yeah... )

PS: Sorry for the bad scans! Seems like my scanner just keeps getting worse and I still have no clue why.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice work here:
    and my first thought, like a few other people, is to focus on basic shapes and proportions! its real hard and real important, itll act as a good foundation for the rest, i think

youre drawing a lot and some of it is excellent so keep going

27. The Following User Says Thank You to aks9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanx for nice comment at my SB!
    Good works here, don't forget to do boring but important anatomy studies))

29. The Following User Says Thank You to in2eternity For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ aks9: Thank you very much for your nice comment

Yeah, I actually need to practice everything :p
    Right now I really struggle to find a balance between it all, but well hopefully I will get better with time and practice... *wishing*

@in2eternity:

Thank you very much for your kind comment

Oh yes, anatomy is also one of the things I need to learn!
    How do you guys manage to practice all this!? :p

*Dear universe, please make the planet spin slower so the days will increase to 50 hours*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've improved so much in just a few posts, moreover, you have some really clean lines, I like them!

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Flashback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's nice to see you're still at it Trixtar. And Flash is right, you have improved quite noticeably. Can't wait to see what else you do.

I...actually don't have any criticism. You're doing everything you're supposed to do and progressing normally. In this case, the less said the better.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtsySiridean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Flashback: Thank you very much for your kind comment
    And I'm happy that you notice I have improved because I so hoped but wasn't sure! ...although I probably went a huge step back now after weeks of stress in my private and professional life!

@ ArtsySiridean: Thank you very much to you as well for the kind comment
    Knowing that people can see improvement means the world to me!

__________________________________________________ __________________

God, I wish I had a job so I didn't have to run in circles all day long stressing about writing a stupid job applications!

But eh.... At least I have gotten a tiny bit drawing done in the mean time. Most of them were done in my journal accompanied by a lot of evil thoughts on relationships and jobsearch, so I'll spare you for that....

That only leaves 2 drawings for show, very pathetic and I'll try and manage my time better in the future! *stress*
    Still practicing form.
    The first one is a character sketch I did today for fun while waking up.
    Second is after random moments of observing objects and stuff when taking breaks from whatever else I was doing, or even during. It is from memory, accumulated from what I "think" I observed :p

I sooooooooooo need more time!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Trixtar View Post
    Hello There...
    So yeah. I have wasted 30 years drawing a few days per year, nothing serious. I was not so strong that I could go against the judgemental people and follow my dreams! But then this summer I met a lot of local artists who encouraged me to do what I want and not listen to everyone else. And you guys have really inspired me as well, thanks!!!

I've been wanting to hug you since I subscribed to your sketchbook and today was the day. I've wasted 20 years myself. I started a sketchbook here a few years ago then I gave up... I don't feel I have what it takes yet to take this seriously enough yet. I admire your courage.

I'm enjoying your work a lot.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know that feeling Trixtar! Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook and giving me such encouraging words! Sometimes those are important! Now ill give a few words here.

I think your environments are really neat! Something about them is cool and abstracty (is that a word) hehe. I think your human anatomy is improving and your lines are getting more clean! Which is good! I think Loomis is a good idea to look at and a book called Forceynamic Life Drawing for Animators! I am not an animator, per say, but I LOVE Force and it is one of my favorite anatomy books. The sketches of the flow and line weight and tips on types of lines is so amazing! I hope to see some more sketches from you soon! And keep on working on your art!

Your daily determined hyperactive emotional artist!

My Sketchbook

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Suisei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Leonor: Aw you wonderful person to you as well!
    -And thanks for subscribing to my SB + the kind comment, and I'm sorry for some lousy updates at the moment.

Really, don't give up on your art.
    ...I'm gonna go in a bit and take a look at your sketchbook

@ Suisei: Thanks for your kind comment and suggestions
    Yeah, I should do more anatomy. I have the Loomis books but follow another for the anatomy studying. Can't remember the name though. Never heard of the other book you mention, but I'll put it on my list of books I need to buy as soon as I get some money from somewhere

__________________________________________________ _____________

So here's some pretty lousy updates... Sorry, I know I'm a major disappointment to everyone including myself at the moment. At least I managed to get a very nice response to a creative job application I made in GIMP Didn't get the job though, but it was the sweetest rejection I have ever received.

Well, the updates:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For a 5 minute sketch that beaver looks great!

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Flashback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Flashback: GAAAAH! It's not a 5 min sketch anymore! Probably more like 8-10min :p
    Wrote the time on the drawing and then later decided to spend a few minutes correct some stupid errors... Sorry.

But thanks a lot anyway

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're making awesome progress dude. Remember it's never too late
    I'm glad someone told you the truth to forget everyone else and follow your dreams!

The Sketchbook of Naj and Stu!:
    SKETCHBOOK

And of course go check out the SB of DefiledVisions

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart DeViva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice progress going on here, one thing I would say is to draw from life directly as much as possible, not just photos, you can chose your own compositions better this way and get a better sense of form,

keep up the good work

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunin For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6