Sketchbook: Catching up on a wasted life....

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Catching up on a wasted life....

Hello There...

So yeah. I have wasted 30 years drawing a few days per year, nothing serious. I was not so strong that I could go against the judgemental people and follow my dreams! But then this summer I met a lot of local artists who encouraged me to do what I want and not listen to everyone else. And you guys have really inspired me as well, thanks!!!

Well.... here are some of my results so far. I think all of them are actually sort of from within the past year...

And really, please do say whatever and I'll do my best... Got 30 years to catch up on!

Sorry for the long blaaah.... Btw, "nudity" is just set now since I didn't know if I could change it later, just to be on the safe side for whatever might pop up in the future

PS: I see a few people throughout asking me for digitals. There are a few, but most of them are made in Artrage because it gives that "realistic paint" effect and I kind of like playing with it... Since I have no money for Photoshop I can't give you any images from that because I don't want to use illegal software. I have GIMP, which I will look more into along the way, and hopefully I can learn to create something visually bearable with that as well

...BTW!!! -The lower one of Hulk on the last image was drawn from an image found on a Google search! I can't remember my search terms, and couldn't find it again ...But yeah, it is NOT my original idea/image!!! I just borrowed it to practice, and the result of that is seen above.

And sorry for the lined and squared paper... Got so much of it so I can just as well use it for practice rather than throw it out.

EDIT: Images don't show!!! They are linked from Flickr.... Why not!? *gaah*
    EDIT2: FIXED - now using Photobucket

EDIT3: Updated intro

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Trixtar; January 4th, 2012 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Images not showing
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Trixtar, thought I'd stop by and leave some feedback. First of all I don't think it's ever too late to start and good on you for getting on, doing what you want to do. I think you have a good start so far, I like the bottom 2 images more so. You seem to have a stronger understanding of environments which is something I've not as yet got my head around.

All you need to do is keep drawing everyday, if possible. You'll hear that a hell of a lot around here because it really is true. And always try to improve on your last image. I'm not really great with critiques so I can't really help you there, sorry.

Keep updating.

Always looking for feedback, so feel free to stop by any of these, cheers.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog
    Facebook

Matt

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Riox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback Riox
    I have to admit that I don't have much "skill-clue" on what I'm doing but I have mostly been into landscapes/nature and everything else not including people. Now after finding some pretty cool comics, humans became lots more interesting. Loomis is on my to-do list this year!

And yeah, drawing every day as much as possible!

I did the plate-study a few days ago... The plate is actually white in real life! -But because of all the shadows and my inexperience in drawing it now looks anything else but white But then again, the "white" bowl standing the exact same place now does also look very gray-ish... Is it supposed to be this confusing to begin with when drawing stuff like that from life?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you have a good start. It looks like you get the idea of creating a volumetric manikin figure, like how loomis and vilppu teaches. Your landscapes are well done and rendering on hulk is nice. I think you have the gist of the basics and need refining from here on.

Btw, a piece of information that both scared me, but motivated me and gave me hope at the same time is the 10,000 hr rule. Im not sure if you read malcolm gladwells book "outliers", but in it, he says.. a virtuoso in any profession has 10,000 hrs of practice. It dosn't matter how much or little talent you have. 10,000 is the magic number.

So 8hrs practice per day for 4 years will equal 11,680hrs. Sorta like working really hard in college.

Another piece of advice I have... "when your sitting, your drawing" When your having dinner with friends, dont be shy, just wip out your miniture sketchbook and start drawing. Draw on the train, bus everywhere. This is an excellent way to improve quickly.

Good Luck!

Immoral Cintiq's Sketchbook

"Society will DRAW a circle that shuts me out, but my superior thoughts will DRAW me in." -Marva Collins

"Character is what you know you are not what others think you are." -Marva Collins

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Immortal Cintiq For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for the feedback Immortal Cintiq

Yeah I heard about the 10,000 hour rule before. How exactly does it work?
    It also depends on the effort doesn't it? I mean, I have had days in the past where I was totally sloppy in my practice, and I fear it did worse to my skills than good

I actually do have a pocket sketchbook.
    And yes, I should go to a café or something and practice. But damn I'm scared of it!
    If anyone has advice on how to be totally secret about it, please do share

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Trixtar, thanks for stopping by my SB. I'll give some personal advice on becoming a better artist in general.

-Drawing is everything, quite literally. A good painter is first, a great draftsman. A good illustrator is also first a great draftsman, and a good animator is for damn sure a good draftsman. whatever it is you want to do in art, you can guarantee drawing is the key. Simple pencil and paper.
    and nothing well make you better at drawing than drawing. mileage is everything.

- But there is a difference between hard work and smart work. Once you find yourself "noodling around" on a piece of art, and not learning, its time to find something new you can learn from.

-There's nothing magical about it. it is a very mechanical process and the more you can train your eye to draw what you see, and not what you think you see, the better.

- I would suggest drawing from life whenever possible. draw whatever is in front of you, your hands, your feet, a persons face across the room, whatever. Just do it from life. But the absolute, best exercise would be drawing from a live nude professional model. 1-2 minute gesture drawing of a live model really cant be beat in training you to draw well.

I would suggest learning the human form from Glenn Vilppu (teaches countless professionals from Disney, dreamworks etc.) and Michael Hampton, another amazing artist and instructor.

If you can master drawing the human form, you can draw ANYTHING.

Also, I understand a lot of this is scarey when you begin but, there is really nothing to be scared of. people understand that everyone starts somewhere. I guarantee that if you sketch in a coffee shop or on a train, the only attention you will get is positive attention, people are fascinated with drawing, especially non artists, and its a great way to start a conversation and meet people.

Good luck

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonathan C For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your intent here, I think you'd do really well giving surrealism a go, I just get that feeling from your work. Anyway keep at it! I see alot of potential here!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to _Steinmetz_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Jonathan C:
    Thank you very much for all your advice and for checking my SB
    I found some Loomis ebooks that's supposed to be legally downloadable for free... I hope! An attempt of muscle-drawing will be posted later if I could just remember where I put the damn drawing... might be too light though because I tried out my new multicolored pencil :p
    Honestly, I am not sure how to approach it though.
    With Vilppu you mean this http://vilppustore.com/manuals.htm product, right?
    Yeah, a model would be nice! Are you guys hiring your own if you can't find a class to attend?
    Heh, I better get over myself then and get out and start drawing...
    Thanks a lot for your advice and encouragements!

@ _Steinmetz_:
    Thank you very much
    I actually would like very much to be able to do surrealism, especially with a touch of sci-fi/fantasy/dream-setting... So yeah, I appreciate the encouragement

PS: I have no idea when to thank people! Right now everyone who's replied to my sketchbook has gotten one because I sincerely do appreciate the response. But when I look in other people's SB's they don't do that... !? Am I doing it wrong?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trixtar, good start and keep at it now. As others have said, draw from what you see...still life and objects will really improve your observational skill. Don't be afraid to do those things you find difficult. I am concentrating on faces/portraiture because it's something I find hardest to do. You're environments look pleasing...especially your attached image...keep this up and you will get better...

Also, thanking people because you appreciate their words and time is doing nothing wrong

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Damien Levs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damien thank you very much
    Heh, at the moment I guess I find everything difficult so there's lots to choose from!
    Portraits is also something I need to look more into. I have done a few and all of them went really bad... The most recent one is a bit of an improvement but still veeeery far away from getting great! :p Hmmm, I'm gonna include it in the next drawing-update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some new and old stuff... I don't know how to approach that Loomis stuff exactly, so I chose this way, which is probably totally wrong though. And please do tell me if I should do something else instead. And if you laugh and point fingers at it, then please do point exactly to what it is you are laughing at so I can see my mistakes!
    The first one is taken from Rammstein's Du Riechst So Gut (1st version), and the second one is Lebron James from some ad I think...

The she-devil and mermaid were done earlier this year (like beginning of summer). And yeah, I didn't use any references... That was before I knew of this place, now I got smarter and know I should always use reference!

...And then the Sara Sidle/Jorja Fox "portrait" (or whatever to call that kind of result) I said I'd post...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The she-devil is beautiful!
    Doing Loomis studies is a great idea, just try to memorize the most important muscles, and always do the memorizing by drawing it out. Don't be afraid to just copy the diagrams and figures from his book. This way, you will train your hand as well as your mind, and eventually you will start recognizing the underlying structure when looking at photos/real people.. At least that's how I'm doing it so far, no idea if there is a better way!

About posting your images, you can just use the attachment manager, and upload your images directly here on conceptart. This way, they won't get lost in the future. Just click "Manage attachments" and upload them using the popup window.

I don't really know what the exact purpose of the thanks button is, but I guess it is just another way to show your appreciation So, nothing wrong with using it. You may also visit their sketchbook/page/whatever in return (many have a link in their signature), if you want to (I try to do so, so I can give something back).

Also, don't be so insecure about your art, your pieces already show that you do have some great skill/knowledge already, you just have to refine it and work on it I like that you use perspective and interesting compositions in some of your pices so far. So, just keep drawing/practicing, I'm looking forward to see more from you

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyraina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lyraina, thank you so very much for your encouragement and help about the image stuff

I first tried looking at pictures and then compare it to the images in the book, but then I decided I couldn't really figure out where what muscle exactly was on the images so I decided to at least draw some of them and see if it helped. But yeah, I think I'm gonna try out what you are doing as well (looked at your SB and will head over and comment as soon as I'm done here)

And now for the image posting using attachments... Here are 2 new I did within the past 24 hours... Drawing is kind of diffuclt while being sick especially when coughing :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! You have a lovely imagination. I like the devil and the mermaid. It is good to see you doing some anatomy studies. One thing that I think helped me get better with it was to draw people from life, so if you can find a figure drawing class/session definitely go for it.
    Don't worry about 30 years lost or whatever, I think I know how you feel about having wasted time but that doesn't matter. A good long time ago I attempted to take an art class, and the teacher told me that I was horrible. After that I gave up completely. I was also not strong enough to go against judgmental people but I have learned a lot since then. Mainly I have learned that motivation and encouragement must come from within, and that it is no use beating up on myself for feeling like I wasted time. You have realized that getting better at art is important to you, and all that matters is what you do going forward. I apologize for my inarticulate rant. I am just trying to tell you to stick with it and you can only improve!

My Sketchbook would benefit from your critiques.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to anonanon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much Anonanon!
    -And it was a great rant, thanks for sharing

Heh, I was outside yesterday and was looking at people, just observing while I walked. Then suddenly it hit me that OMG! I'm running around picturing everyone naked here!!!
    I think the library would be a suitable place to secretly stare and observe while sketching so as soon as I feel better I'll go there to do some life-drawing :p
    There are a few drawing classes this fall, but I can't afford to participate so I'll have to go for the cheap solution for now.

But yeah, thanks for the encouragement, it's always appreciated
    My new solution to the judgmental people is to just keep it a secret I do art...

New images will be uploaded later...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Trixtar, I really like your imagination drawings and portrait.
    I think if you keep at the portraits, then you'll find fast improvement, bc judging by the one here, you understand how to draw beyond symbolism and draw what you really see.

As for the life drawing, i suggest you find a figure drawing session close to were you live. Its usually an average of $15 for like 3 hrs. So going once a week wont be too bad.

Also loomis "figure drawing for all its worth" is a great place to start. Even if you dont get it, stay with the confusion and work through it. Just copying his drawing will benefit you very much .

As for the 10,000 hr rule, its basically 10,000 hrs of concerted practice. which mean your focusing on your work, not watching tv at the same time or halfhearted drawing. Constatanly thinking and overthinking is very good. When i overthink, i know im hitting my limits and finding solutions.

Yeah! Pocket sketchbook, Awsome.

Keep going!!

Immoral Cintiq's Sketchbook

"Society will DRAW a circle that shuts me out, but my superior thoughts will DRAW me in." -Marva Collins

"Character is what you know you are not what others think you are." -Marva Collins

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Immortal Cintiq For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well seems like a whole bunch of info has been given too you so not much to add except keep working at!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Immortal Cintiq - Thank you very much again for your feedback and encouragements
    I actually found a place they do that croquis stuff (OK I asked some local people who knows about such things)!!! -And even I can afford at least once. There's no teacher, just a bunch of people who meet up to draw from a model a few times a year, but I guess some of them do have experience in the art-area. Hopefully I can still join for at least 1 time this year, otherwise they will start again after X-Mas sometime So YAY!!!!

@ Kidult - Thanks for the encouragement
    -Of course great and informative critiques and unsolicited (?) advice is always appreciated.

The following drawings have had several reference sources... should I list them?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep going.

That tree looks effin' fantastic. So do the muscles, although the bicep looks a bit off on the right. Still, this shows quite going on under the hood.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtsySiridean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ ArtsySiridean - Thank you very much both for checking in, and for your kind comment I'm happy you like my tree, because nature is kind of my biggest passion so far I think. Yeah, the right arm went like crap because I was a bit unaware when reversing it in my head. At least I hope I remembered all the muscles...

@ Sean McClain - Thank you so much for your advice
    I'm actually not sure I'll ever fully get into the digital stuff. I like that you can draw directly on an iPad, but that's financially waaaaayyy out of reach. I don't "feel" with it using a tablet. I'm just more worried I won't survive without that digital skill.
    Btw, do you (or anyone else) knows how long that offer will stand on the classes?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...And shit comes crashing down in heaps! I wish someone would someday create a cure to treat sleep! That'll give me 4-8 hours more a day! They could of course also just slow the turning of the earth... don't know what'll be easier :p

I have not been doing as much art as I wanted. Today I was supposed to do my first croquis session, but have to postpone that to probably next year. At least now I know where to go and that it exists and is affordable at least a few times depending...

Well, I did a few sketches from a shopping mall (image posted below)... DAMN those people are boring! They all look like zombies just walking/rushing while having a fixed stare right ahead or into the floor! I even placed myself very well, according to my own opinion...

So, I did manage to do a little since last time I was here... Some of it is posted below. I hope you guys manage much better in the general life than I do!

PS: The leg-anatomy is from a book written by András Szunyoghy and György Fehér. I thought that now that I had bought it I should try using that as well along with the Loomis.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's early, but I think already your showing a little range in your work. The landscapes look particularly promising. Keep it up.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickodemus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nickodemus, thanks for the comment and encouragement
    ...The last landscape I posted is pulling down the average of my landscape art I think when seeing it here. The red stream is stealing all the attention and I think I just made everyone focus on the nice shadow my sketchbook is making on the scanner :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't really figure out what to do with that watercolor... It was meant as an experiment, but then I kind of grew ok happy with it, but I probably need to redo, don't think it can be saved
    The pencil one is sketched from a magazine ad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I decided that I really need to practice more digital stuff. And I needed to celebrate I got my life back after weeks of doing final project in multimedia design! So I bought Artrage Studio Pro... I also have GIMP, but I thought I'd better invest (money I actually don't really have though...) in something so I take it more seriously.

Hopefully I'll get better with time, but it was still more fun than I thought it would be! I also have some sketches that will be uploaded later... Whenever I feel in the mood for scanning.
    I guess that's a really good thing with the digi-stuff, no scan-stress! *yay*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love those last ones as well as the watercolor environment! keep posting ^^

40. The Following User Says Thank You to -D_art- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ -D_Art- : Thank you very much

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally did a scan. It's mixed with and without references.
    When I do use reference, then who do I write as "copyright holder"? Right now I have set myself there, but I got no idea when I used a photo as a reference?

I don't know if it's the paper, but the scanner won't really make proper scan from the sketchbook all these drawings come from, like it won't "pick up" the pencil lines very well. *sigh*

Well, wishing you all a happy Xmas, and if you don't have Xmas then at least happy holidays

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're traditionnel work look great keep on working and hope to see some digital stuff soon

44. The Following User Says Thank You to bdouah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more random stuff I found... done within the past 6 months.
    The first one is done in Artrage this week, the rest is in traditional media done 3-6 months ago. They have a watermark because they were first posted to Deviant Art, and I usually don't upload to DA without the mark. Sorry, too lazy to change ít so I hope it doesn't come across as offensive or rude posting it like that here

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7