Sketchbook: Fill The Page - Kellye's Pad.

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Wasp Fill The Page - Kellye's Pad.

Hey y'all, finally got up the guts (gulp) to start a sketchbook here at CA after drooling for aimless hours over the other ones presented. Hopefully a dose of healthy competition will get my artistic ass back in gear and make me produce some regular work. Ever since I got out of school and got a real job, I tend to stagnate on creative side-projects easily if I don't keep myself engaged.

I just started to get back into art after about a year-long hiatus, so I'm rusty...hopefully I'll show some improvement after a few weeks of consistently posting here.

All ideas/crits/comments welcome!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Couple more hawks from the same study. All done from reference photos.

Thanks
    Randomness. Some composition thumbs from my "Black Beauty" COW, a guy getting his brains blown out by riot police (pulled from an unfinished novel I'm working on), and a clothes pin!

Thanks
    First tentative attempts to freehand in GIMP as I try to get familiar with the brushes and whatnot. Done from observation of one of GentleFood's sketches, since his sketchbook is just what I happened to have pulled up. (Consider it a master copy!)

Thanks

What's up doc?

Gesture drawings (filled this page in about ten minutes).

Last edited by Kellye; October 27th, 2011 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks
    Work in progress (first layer).

Thanks
    Those bunny studies are cute! I also like the first eagle sketch a lot.
    I think the most common advice on quick improvement here is draw a ton, do lots of studies, and download and learn from all the free loomis books. can't wait to see what else you post!

"the world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper." - w.b. yeats

sketchbook. comments/advice appreciated (:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to neonndreams For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The Things We Left Behind

Thanks a lot Neon! I might be fleshing that first eagle sketch out later with color (in GIMP) just for the digital practice. I plan on putting a LOT of studies in this sketchbook though, since that's where I think I'm going to glean the most technical improvement.

These are close-ups from a four by six foot painting WIP called The Things We Left Behind. Acrylic is what I have the most experience with, and that's the medium this painting is in. I love the way it dries so fast so you can layer quickly..

Thanks
    Nice work! Though,work on ur construction and draw through ur shape!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KC_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the crit, KC! Can you explain what you mean by working on construction and drawing through my shape? I don't think I completely understand, but if you want to elaborate a bit, I'm all ears!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Cool stuff, good looseness in the sketches, and like the look of the wolf in the painting above! Get some books on anatomy by George Bridgman, this would be a great way to get a good first grip on construction and form. And keep drawing from life, that would be the most important thing

Good start, now show us more!
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Construction: is to draw or contruct ur drawing from simple shape like circle or square..It make ur drawing look better ,simpler,cleaner and more balanced. And also easier to redraw.That's y It is especially important when drawing cartoon...
    Let me do a lil demonstration Apparently u've got to learn a bit more on design principles and perspective....

Thanks
    Thanks JailHouse! I will try to get some still lifes up on here pretty soon. I need some human figure studies as well, because human anatomy is one of my weakest points (especially those damned hands!!!!!!!!!)

My first 22 gestures from the Spartan Camp. I chose to study the capybara. These were shot from my iPod Touch since I don't have access to a scanner right now (the room it's in is full of people who actually SLEEP in the wee hours of the morning...)

Last edited by Kellye; October 29th, 2011 at 06:42 AM.

Thanks

My Little Pony - Original Character - Punkin

Here's a Halloween character design/piece of fanart I'm working on for my three year-old foster sister, to whom the Little Ponies are some sort of toddler crack. It's not done yet, so if anyone has any coloration tips or maybe thoughts on the background, fire away. I'm not trying to make it look 3D or anything, so I'm not all that worried about gradation.

What is it with little girls and ponies? Is it because princesses always ride ponies? I don't get it. Now all I want to do is doodle a zombie three year old moaning, "Must buy...overpriced plastic toys..."

Last edited by Kellye; October 30th, 2011 at 07:12 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    There must be a very strong attachment between you and capybaras or something because they are much better than the bunnies.
    Punkin looks much better than the previous (really newbie) digitals. There are scribbles there too but still, it looks more tidy. I hope and think the lil girl will be happy
    {Color wise... Well I'm not good with colors, but... I think the pony itself could be brighter. Pony! Kid! Pumpkin and Halloween! Everything suggests a more bright color can't be bad. Background... I'd think about color shemes, split-complementary, maybe... Mylittleponies tend to have colorful backgrounds too, it may be rainbow colored, cheesy and chaotic, it will still suit them.}

I dunno, I hated mylittleponies with passion when I was little (I ignore them nowadays except the Friendship is magic series, it's funny even if it's shallow and candy colored). But I never thought I would be a girl... I hated pink too

Thanks
    More Rodents of Unusual Size. I saw Paranormal Activity 3 yesterday afternoon, which was passably good until the last fifteen minutes, which ended in mighty suckage that made me wish I had my seven dollars back.

I did get an idea for a much BETTER ghost story on the way home though, so it wasn't a totally loss. I'll probably sit around alternately writing it and sketching the rest of my capybaras tonight while I pass out Halloween candy.

The Walking Dead was awesome though, and my friend's husband loaned me the first fifteen volumes of the graphic novel, which is almost better than the show except that I think the show is a little better scripted...for some reason Robert Kirkland puts bold emphasis on text in the graphic novels where it doesn't make any sense to do so. I think he was trying to affect a Southern accent or something, but I live in the South and he didn't quite nail it.

Ex: These are ALL the clips that are LOADED---and a ton of LOOSE bullets.

^ Try reading that sentence with emphasis on the capped words...sounds weird, right?

Thanks
    Capybaras are probably the best animal in existence. It is a giant guinea pig...how could that not be awesome. Anyway, this looks like a great start to a sketchbook. I would love to see some value studies of 3d shapes, or even some human figures. Keep up the great work!

My Sketchbook would benefit from your critiques.

Thanks
    Hello! Very nice studies, especially with your capybaras! Your linework has gotten better compared to your first post, which is good! I'd like to see more looseness and not so tight lines in your sketches. Just keep drawing from life and studying. You're on the right track! Keep going and have fun!

Thanks
    Those capybaras look pretty smashing. Keep working, try to think about where you need your darks before laying them in.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.