Sketchbook: Take it till ya make it

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Take it till ya make it

You can as well skip this page, nothing interesting to see here

Edit: Added my first character drawings from imagination, one influenced by Frazetta, and other one with Assassin's Creed, and that's about it.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Krilce!; March 13th, 2013 at 07:54 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, here goes another one. Basically, I have a problem when it comes to measuring in perspective (can't really tell if I overdid something). Also, sometimes I have a problem with the spine drawing (angle, curves, and such). So, if you have any tips regarding those problems, I would really appreciate it. And OHI, thanks for a welcome.

Edit: Another one. This on is in a WIP state.

Last edited by Krilce!; October 23rd, 2011 at 11:35 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I did some 1 min gesture drawings. This is the first time I'm doing this, so I'm a little bit confused, but pretty happy with the results.

When drawing gestures, should I pay attention to the basic proportions, and get those right, or is it only for finding the essence of the pose? Most of the time, I draw the head first, then I try to find a middle line and establish basic proportions, like where should I place the nipples, belly button, hips, and such. I do this really fast, but I wanted to ask if this is the right way of drawing gestures and learning from those, or should I just draw whatever my I sees, and not focusing that much on the proportions? Also, should I be using long, curvy lines, or short ones, like I did here. I'm using a small tablet, so my arm can't move that much. I guess you've already answered these questions a dozen of times, but I'm a total beginner, so have mercy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're doing good , try to study loomis books , they are useful and recommended from professionel artists
    good luck

Change is such hard work

Sketchbook - Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    about the gesture drawing , try to draw slower and feel the action , and yes try to give an attetion to propostion , and about starting with the head or the feet , it's not matter , just get the gesture right and you can draw so fast if you want to , but just if you want to get more informations from the figure , try to draw it slower about 60 sec or 90 , and good luck

Change is such hard work

Sketchbook - Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, thank you very much for those advices.

So, I did some more gesture drawings, this time trying to use less lines. I'm very slow at this moment, these gestures took me 90sec each, and they look even worse than 30 sec ones that I saw in the other places. . I feel like I've already learned something from practicing these gestures (although I don't have a clue of how am I going to draw them from imagination, at least for now), like finding the spine line, a bit on proportions, then finding a nice shoulders and hips angle, etc. The thing is, should I also learn anatomy and perspective, or should I just stick with these gesture drawings for now?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While searching the forums in order to get more knowledge of gesture drawing, in one of the threads I've found about The Vilppu Drawing Manual, so I started reading it, and so far, so good. I've started with his basic training, and I'm gonna continue as I go through it. I'll post the examples of my drawings, they aren't anything special, cause, as I already said, I'm going trough his basic exercises. Oh, I've also downloaded Loomis's Books, and I love them. Been learning more about proportions from his figure drawing book, but then I went back to Successful Drawing. So, I'm planing to continue with all three of these books, and I'm gonna learn from them whenever I get a hand on some free time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't post anything yesterday, because I was pissed off when the electricity went down, which resulted in lost of my gesture drawings. Anyway, did some today, and probably will do some more this night. I also started making some thumbnails and study of perspective from Loomis's book, but hell, I'm gonna post those when I make some more. Anyway, to cut the crap, here are some new gesture drawings (1 min each).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeey, I've managed to find portrait of Jack Sparrow I made few months ago (8-9 I think). This one is my first portrait (although I did study a bit on face proportions), and I haven't done any portrait after this one. God, it's a lot easier to handle a 2B pencil than one on my Wacom Pen tablet. I'm not sure I'll be focusing on portraits in near future, cause, you know, I'd like to get more into digital art, painting some nasty environments and action scenes. But hell, gesture drawings are giving me a headache. Even though I'm trying to not paint outlines (studying a Vilppu's book), my gestures seem pretty lifeless and boring. Maybe I would do better if I would be using a common pencil, but I'd like to get used to my graphic tablet as soon as I can, so...I'll keep trying. Oh, yeah, I also painted an apple.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've finally found a book with witch I fall in love (regarding gesture and figure drawing). Here are some of the gestures I've drawn before the launch, and I'm planing to draw more tonight, and perhaps do another painting, this time of an onion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More, more! Will probably post ones more this night, but I'd like to post a practice. And, to ask a question, am I doing good so far, any suggestions of what should I study (as a wannabe future concept artist ), or how to improve the current gesture and value studies? Thanks!

Edit: Here, while learning from Vilppu's book, I had to do some exercise regarding his way of drawing gestures (which I kinda like the most). I changed 3 of the gestures a bit, and I like the results. I studied these carefully, especially the first one (which has some arrows on it). So, now I'm planning to continue work trough his book, while also reading Loomi's Successful Drawing and practicing perspective, a little bit of anatomy, and paining some "things", like I did with onion and apple.

Last edited by Krilce!; October 29th, 2011 at 06:56 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had some free time before launch, so I did these 3 min gesture studies (from a book). They would normally take me a bit less than 3 minutes, but I'm trying to concentrate on how do lines and shapes work together, so that I can construct some from imagination in the nearest future. Now I'm reading a book of how to construct landscapes, so I should post some stuff when I start working on those. Would be nice if I get some critiques so that I can improve faster. Any suggestion regarding of what to study for a concept artist would be really helpful. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't have much time today, but I did would I could. Some of these are from my imagination, some come original from other authors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And here it goes, my first painting. This one is actually done for a daily sketch group, but I felt I should also post it in my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It matters who or what is performing the action. There is a cliche I see a lot that goes "draw the verb", it doesn't really mean much, it's an oversimplification of dramatic theory. The most basic sentence is built from a noun and a verb: Dogs bark; Buildings fall; Wind blows. You've got an action diagram there that looks like a punch, but check it out it's force would change depending on whether you were to render it out as Mr. T or JTT.
    Do more stuff like that Jack Sparrow portrait, and the environment is also good practice. If you want to practice loose drawings check out Heinrich Kley's work, and Calvin and Hobbes, their style is already simplified so there is no need to simplify it any more.

Last edited by armando; November 7th, 2011 at 09:04 PM.
    Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to armando For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Past two months for me was all about study-sleep, study-sleep, and so on. Now, all of the exams for this year have passed, and I finally have some free time, so I'll focus on drawing. Past two months I've been drawing in my notebooks, whenever I was bored of listening to professor, and it helped me a lot. I was practicing drawing circles, straight lines, some silly things, gestures from imagination, observation, and such. I did a few gestures (yeah, again ), this morning, which I'm gonna show you. Basically, I just scribble around, placing shoulders and hips angle, and than lay in some structure (still scribbling very lightly ). Then i just make some outlines and place some basic shadows (the scanner ruins the quality of those, but hell, who cares ).

Oh, and thank you very much armando for advice, I'll definitely focus on those in the nearest future.

Last edited by Krilce!; December 19th, 2011 at 05:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did two figures from imagination, and also started with Bridgman's books. I'm also planing to focus more on painting, from observation and imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More! I feel like I'm getting into this . Some are from mr.Mentler's "the book of bones" thread, and some are from imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! Welcome to CA!
    I'm not sure if drawing from posemaniacs is the right choise, some artists say that you can improve a lot with them, but some say it's more or less useless. I think if you feel that they are helping you, then do them, but draw them a lot (like algenpfleger did 300 per day, but he is a drawing maniac ).
    Some posts before you were told to study Loomis books (like this one). Copy his drawings, not one time, but many times, until you start to understand it.
    I see you have started to study also Bridgeman, also good, if you think that his drawing style is not getting in the way understanding it. Usually it's recommended to study Bridgeman much later, after Loomis, Hogarth and similar books.
    I like these several last posts of studies you have done. Just keep on working as hard as you can, and you will see the improvement in no time

23. The Following User Says Thank You to vanaga For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Started studying from Loomis, and did a few loose figure drawings. I am tired right now, so I've uploaded only two pages.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, this scanner is awful, it pixelates everything. At least I'm sure that I'm going to get a decent camera. Till then, I'm going to use sister's phone. xD
    Anyway, now I'm sure that I'm going to focus on Bridgman from now on (when it comes to figure drawing). I should also start working on perspective and light on basic shapes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More Bridgman, yeeey. I also started using mechanical pencil instead of normal wooden ones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bridgman, again. Ok, I realized that I lack knowledge of perspective to fully understand his construction method, so I decided to start doing some perspective studies, along with learning figure drawing and anatomy. That will probably come tomorrow, as it's pretty late here, and I have some things to finish tomorrow morning. Oh, and I came back to wooden pencils, while using mechanical one for rough sketching.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!

I think it's great to see variety in approach to the thumb studies - wiggly, shaded, cubic, etc - it all adds up. However, if I were you I wouldn't stop there - I'd experiment even more! For example, myself, I picked up charcoal last week (a big thick stick variety) and it's absolutely fab! Very different from what I was used to, traditional drawing-wise. Maybe try acrylics? They are the 'easy oils' after all - very nice!

Best of luck to you and keep posting!

Ana

Get naked, eat sushi!

CA.org sketchbook
    Twitter

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Jansi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some figure drawings. One on the top left took me 10 minutes, but I made pretty big proportions mistake, so I had to rework it, at least to some degree. Other two were 30 minute studies. I definitely should focus more on body planes. Bammes and Bridgman have some really simplified body forms, which are really helpful, but I'm also considering Reilly's method, although it looks pretty complex compared to the other two. Any suggestions regarding this? Also, I haven't drawn for 2-3 months, due to final tests I've been taking at university, but I'm planning to compensate that, since I have more than 2 free months (actually, I got 1 more thing finish, but it shouldn't take too much time).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Again, figure studies. Each of them took me 1 hour, and I didn't have enough time to finish them, cause I'm quite slow currently, but I hope it'll change, sooner or later. Left one was quite a challenge, because I could barely read values. I didn't manage to render legs of the right one enough, not to mansion arms and hands, but at least some of the forms are recognizable. I managed to get my hands on Peck's anatomy book, which will definitely come in handy, when combined with Bridgman, or any other artist focusing on mass and planes. Also, this scanner f-ing sucks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following

33. The Following User Says Thank You to meth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, my scanned isn't working, and my camera was probably manufactured when cavemen learned about the fire. Anyway, did a study of Robert Liberace painting, took me around and hour, and didn't totally finish it, but I'm happy cause I learned a few new things here and there. I'm quite slow, and lack knowledge of anatomy, especially on legs, which will hopefully get better, ones I finish with Loomis and Peck. Did some skull studies, and made my own diagrams, though I couldn't take any decent photo of those, so I couldn't upload it. Also tried to find some animal pictures, simplify them as much as I can, and place values according to my own light source, which went ok I think, considering I'm still learning some basic shading and value placement. Good for visual library too. If anybody knows of any good site with higher quality animal photos, be it skelets, muscles, or regular photos, please post it here, I'd appreciate it very much.

I also didn't know that man-height mirrors are so expensive here, damn it. I don't have any access to life drawing classes, so I guess I'll have to work from the common sized mirror, until I break my neck.

Note: If you can, please point me to some of the mistakes I'm making, or make a suggestion of what to study, or even how. I'm trying to learn on my own, and having basically no one to critique my work, along with no life drawing classes, other than my mirror and me, can sometimes be pretty depressing. Fucking destroy me, I'd appreciate it. This sounds wrong on soooo many levels!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know how you feel and you're wrong when you say that it's only you and your mirror.If the weather is fine where you live,grab your sketchbook,your pen and go to a public place to draw because that's the best way you'll improve at figure drawing.It can be a coffee shop,a park,a train/subway/bus station,all it matters is that there are people you can draw.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Kriss_Kringle For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.